Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MPMF 2016  (Read 2108 times)

euro60

• City Elder
MPMF 2016
« on: March 16, 2016, 04:37:45 PM »

This is as good an occasion to start this year's thread for MidPoint as any.

Apparently, MPMF was sold today to MEMI (a subsidiary of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra).

http://wnku.org/post/midpoint-music-festival-announces-new-partnership-memi#stream/0

The WNKU article is a bit misleading, it's not just a 'new partnership'. The festival was sold, period.

At least the new owner is local, unlike the new owner of Bunbury.

And it looks like some bigger names could be featured. Is that a good thing? I dunno. I love the small-scale nature of what MPMF usually was.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
Re: MPMF 2016
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 04:44:58 PM »

Initial lineup to be announced on April 13?  Sounds like they already have headliners picked out and will fill in spots for "little" acts later. 

I also hope the festival doesn't lose its small-scale nature.  One Bunbury is quite enough.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 05:42:56 PM »

I hope they add a couple of more venues this year. Losing 4 venues last year was discouraging, although it didn't hurt the talent.

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 08:36:33 AM »

Maybe this will be the year MPMF realizes that black people make music people want to hear.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 08:42:24 AM »

Maybe this will be the year MPMF realizes that black people make music people want to hear.

Indeed they do.  And it isn't all gangsta rap with its incessant "I fuck bitches" blather.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 04:04:24 PM »

Rather ominous additional details can be read here:

http://cin.ci/1pnXog2

So the new owners plan to bring in "bigger names that people might not expect to see in a setting like that".  And while Washington Park will be center stage and the event will remain "multi-stage"[emphasis mine], MEMI is "analyzing the festival's multi-venue format to see if a similar footprint makes sense for this year."  And Dan McCabe isn't even in the loop.

Translation:  One big stage and maybe a couple of smaller stages in the same area.  No more multi-venues. Ticket prices will go way up, and the emphasis will be on the big headliners.  I hope I'm wrong on a lot of this.  We don't need a second Bunbury.  Maybe next year I'll take some vacation days and see the Big Ears Festival in Knoxville and/or the Fountain Square Music Festival in Indianapolis instead.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 04:16:04 PM by Drjohnrock »

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 10:14:06 PM »

Did the festival change hands again?

ETA:  Whoops, I should read before asking questions!  Dang!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 09:57:25 PM by Kwyjibo »
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 12:46:35 AM »

Translation:  One big stage and maybe a couple of smaller stages in the same area.  No more multi-venues. Ticket prices will go way up, and the emphasis will be on the big headliners.  I hope I'm wrong on a lot of this.  We don't need a second Bunbury.
Holy cow, if that transpires, that is the DEATH of MidPoint. Say it ain't so. Please.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

kamera26

• Summer Resident
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 09:23:41 AM »

I guess the announcement got delayed a few weeks.  I'm feeling an El VY headliner this year since they haven't been here yet. 

kamera26

• Summer Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 09:11:13 AM »

I hope they add a couple of more venues this year. Losing 4 venues last year was discouraging, although it didn't hurt the talent.

Odd we have no announcement yet. 

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 09:32:27 PM »

The Midpoint hierarchy are still driving fans crazy on facebook with their "lineup is coming real real soon!" posts they've been making for weeks now.  FWIW, Songkick says The Mountain Goats will be at MPMF on September 24--and it does fit their tour routing.   If true, that's a good sign.  But I'm not holding my breath after pollstar listed a Low gig at the Taft ballroom earlier this year that didn't occur.

kamera26

• Summer Resident
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 02:02:34 PM »

Obviously something went awry. I'm not sure if some major bands fell through or if things are just rough with the new management group.  It's just not a good look to make it seem like it's coming soon and just go silent. 

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 09:25:20 AM »

Excited to see Tokyo Police Club, Car Seat Headrest, Frightened Rabbit and Nada Surf on the bill. And it goes without saying that Bob Mould is a huge draw.

Hopefully it will not rain.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 09:31:58 AM »

I'd like to see Nada Surf again, haven't seen them since Popopolis (2001?).  But they tour often enough, I'll catch them next time... I hate this festival bullcrap.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

kamera26

• Summer Resident
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 10:13:02 AM »

Really happy with the lineup. Bummed to see the venues go to the wayside but I get it and it's probably something they had to do at some point.  Excited for Josh Ritter, Frightened Rabbit, Band of Horses and Langhorne Slim. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up