Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MPMF 2016  (Read 2110 times)

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
Re: MPMF 2016
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 10:31:39 AM »

Those would all be good to see!
I saw Frightened Rabbit at Shaky Knees in Atlanta a few weeks ago. Really liked them. (They were one of my "Must see" bands for that festival, and it was a good call)

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 11:20:28 AM »

Three-day passes are on sale this Friday, June 10 at 10 a.m. and can be purchased for only $99 at the Taft Theatre Box Office, the Riverbend Music Center Box Office, MPMF.com and Ticketmaster.com (plus applicable fees online, no service fees if purchased at a box office)

3 day passes were $69 in recent years. That is quite the price hike (43%, to be exact).
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 11:21:46 AM »

Bummed to see the venues go to the wayside

I'm more than bummed.  The various venues being involved was an integral part of the experience.  Yeah, cram people in like it's a mini-Bunbury.  God forbid MPMF would have to keep splitting the money with local venues.  And what if it rains?  As good as the lineup is, I'm seriously considering going to Pygmalion instead.  Has anyone been to that fest before?  If so, please let me know how it was.  You can send me a private message if you want so as not to interfere with the celebratory mood in this thread.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 12:35:49 PM »

Good lineup so far but 4 stages? Thhhhhuuuurrrp!

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 02:57:57 PM »

I like the band lineup but hate the format. You can call it MPMF but it is more like Bunbruy- OTR Edition. The idea of having 4 stages, 3 of which are in the same place and all outdoors means you will have big crowds for each and every performance. Unless you just camp out at one stage, you aren't going to be anywhere close and you lose the intimacy of all the small clubs. Plus you lose the ability to check out new bands you have never heard of, which was always a big part of the draw for me. I would buy a 3 day pass as soon as they went on sale because I knew that there would be 200 bands and with that many, I would find something I liked. With this format, I can see myself waiting until they release the lineup and then deciding to go or not go based on that.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2016, 05:30:18 PM »

Even Billboard has picked up on the fundamental make-over of MidPoint:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/music-festivals/7400306/cincinnati-midpoint-festival-band-of-horses-future-islands

If you click on the comment section at the end of that article, you'll see my thoughts on it... The more I think about it, the less enthused I am about the whole thing. Disappointed and exasperated is more like it.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2016, 10:10:14 PM »

I feel Arnold's' pain...

"Arnold's is very saddened not to be included in MidPoint Music Festival this year. Proudly we have been in every single one since it's inception. Back in 2001 it came in like a super hero for OTR and Downtown. The riots had just happened and venues were shutting their doors left and right. Business was very bad for us and most everyone around us. MPMF 2001 was just the big time draw we needed to bring people and much need revenue back to the businesses of the urban core. The event was actually part of the community that the community took part in and not just an event that took place in the community. Sadly, the magic of running around from venue to venue seeing bands that were on the cusp of stardom in small, intimate spaces with throngs of food, craft beer and cocktails choices is over. Traded for big names in empty parking lots and exclusive beer sponsors. It was an amazing era, that we will deeply miss but were deeply honored to be included in"
Opulence. I has it.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2016, 08:14:44 AM »

That's an interesting perspective that I hadn't thought of.  It does suck for the venues, no question.

Heck the original Midpoint was so committed to using small venues that they would temporarily open shuttered bars just for the festival.  Who knows, that first MPMF was kind of a mess (remember trying to get to the shows at the Southgate House?) and they pulled it out in later years.  Maybe they'll course correct after this year.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2016, 09:57:54 AM »

A friend (and former coworker) posted this on Facebook and I think it pretty much sums up exactly the way I feel about it.

I’ve read the reactions to the changes to the MidPoint Music Festival, and I totally get why lots of people are upset. I really do. MidPoint was this uniquely Cincinnati thing where you’d spend days researching bands, poring over the schedule and putting together your own personal itinerary. Then you’d traipse around Over-the-Rhine and downtown from some hole-in-the-wall bar to an otherwise abandoned building to a gravel parking lot to see bands that you’d probably never heard of in the hopes of discovering the Next Big Thing, or maybe just your own personal Next Big Thing, so you could say I Was There! someday. You’d pride yourself on sticking it out even if it was pouring rain, or if a drummer accidentally threw a plastic cup of beer at you, or if your phone died and you could no longer tweet about how annoying it was that everybody was looking at their phones and not the stage.

There was a lot I loved about that. I stumbled upon some fantastic acts that I might not have discovered otherwise and still love. (Adia Victoria at MOTR during MidPoint 2014 is a recent example. Listen to her new album. You won’t regret it.)
When MidPoint changed ownership, it was inevitable that things would change. And they did. This year the festival will be made up of four stages in a series of parking lots. Less traipsing, but also a lot less special. Maybe it shouldn’t even be called MidPoint anymore, but there’s nothing stopping the current owners from continuing to call it that.

But I’d like to try to put this in perspective. I lived for nine years in a small college town in Upstate New York, where I had the enormous First World Problem of liking bands that rarely, if ever, played in that part of the state. My friends and I road-tripped one summer (2000, I think?) to see Radiohead in both Toronto and Montreal. A couple of years later, my boyfriend and I took a Greyhound bus to see the White Stripes at the Bowery Ballroom in New York City. Another year, we went to Boston to see Belle and Sebastian. I was thrilled when I moved to Cincinnati in 2003 and discovered that there were great shows happening all the time at the Southgate House and I no longer had to travel five-plus hours to see my favorite bands.

So when I saw today’s MidPoint announcement, I was mainly just excited to see some of my favorite bands in the lineup. Hooray for, once again, not having to drive hours to see them! Then I read about the changes. Part of me was glad that I wouldn’t be spending three nights running from small overcrowded venue to small overcrowded venue, and part of me wasn’t sure whether I really wanted to spend three nights in a likely just as crowded parking lot. In all likelihood, I’ll go, because I like these bands and because I want to form an informed opinion about the new MidPoint structure.

And here’s the thing: There are great shows by up-and-coming bands happening every. single. night. in this town. Many of them are even free. You don’t have to wait for a music festival to come along. Just pick a night and go. Maybe you’ll strike music gold, or maybe you’ll leave with your ears bleeding. Or both. Kind of like MidPoint.

And here’s another thing: Just as there was nothing stopping the current MidPoint ownership from making changes to the festival, there’s also nothing stopping someone else from coming up with another festival that’s more in keeping with the spirit of the original MidPoint. I have no doubt that someone will.

The bottom line is, this is a great music town, and the fact that there are so many people passionately arguing about MidPoint is a testament to that.

We’re really lucky, Cincinnati. Can we just take a minute to appreciate that?
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2016, 12:11:00 PM »

Heck the original Midpoint was so committed to using small venues that they would temporarily open shuttered bars just for the festival.
Anybody see a show at The Tax Place? I did.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2016, 09:18:25 PM »

So I am going to break down and by the VIp tickets, since they are only $40 more and come with free food.

IS anyone else confused by their stage map (http://mpmf.com/tickets)? Are the 2 stages really right next to each other like that? How exactly is that supposed to work?

EDIT: Fixed the link.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 10:33:47 PM by dirk »
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2016, 10:08:19 PM »

The link you provided doesn't work.  But no matter.  To me, MidPoint is dead.  I'm excited for The Woodward's announcement on Monday re: who they're booking for September 23 and 24.  I haven't been able to find out from any other source what the band(s) might be.  A lot of times www.cincyticket will list Woodward shows before the venue itself does but they're keeping it under wraps this time. 
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2016, 12:27:34 PM »

holy crap fuck midpoint!  years ago i would have wanted bigger names, but it's just much cooler to check out some mysterious music.  i want it to be successful for the sake of the city and the bands, but i also want a lot of people to bitch about it.  and bitch loudly!  how could it possibly be beater?  unless, this is what a majority of people want.  maybe a lot of people hated having to go to bar to bar.  maybe people wanted bigger names.  maybe there was too much going on for some.  ultimately it comes down to the lengths you'll force yourself to to see good music.  some people like to pack into dive bar to see some phenom who is just about to hit the underground.  some people like things less complicated, more spacious.  i mean those people are lame
poach eggs, not elephants

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2016, 03:39:48 PM »

I was chatting with coworkers today and we cannot work out how in the world they are going to cram everyone into those parking lots AND still have room for the stage/sound and vendors for food, booze, merch etc. Those lots simply do not look big enough.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2016, 04:44:49 PM »

I haven't met a single person so far who has said "holy smokes, the revamped MPMF is the best thing ever, I am pumped for this!"

If these parking lots are not that big, maybe they're not expecting a lot of people?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up