Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MPMF 2016  (Read 2109 times)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Re: MPMF 2016
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2016, 04:48:05 PM »

But they said the reason for the change was to make MPMF more viable and more of a money-maker. Their solution was to revamp with (supposedly) bigger acts, leading to a bigger draw. But where the fuck they are going to put everyone is anyone's guess!
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2016, 06:19:31 PM »

But they said the reason for the change was to make MPMF more viable and more of a money-maker. Their solution was to revamp with (supposedly) bigger acts, leading to a bigger draw. But where the fuck they are going to put everyone is anyone's guess!

kamera26

• Summer Resident
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2016, 12:51:26 PM »

I can see both sides. This article kind of sums up each side best. A lot of people not aware of the expense of the previous format and how it wasn't necessarily sustainable long term. 

https://medium.com/@TheLongRun/midpoint-music-festival-purists-vs-realists-9d3bd7f61c06#.xj36y5q8b

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2016, 01:27:39 PM »

I can see both sides. This article kind of sums up each side best. A lot of people not aware of the expense of the previous format and how it wasn't necessarily sustainable long term. 

https://medium.com/@TheLongRun/midpoint-music-festival-purists-vs-realists-9d3bd7f61c06#.xj36y5q8b

Joe doesn't address the issue of where they are going to put people. I'm not knocking the changes - they were obviously needed to be a money-maker - but having looked at the lots, I am simply at a loss to work it out logistically.  I guess we just have to trust that the new organizers know what they are doing.

kamera26

• Summer Resident
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 02:46:00 PM »

Joe doesn't address the issue of where they are going to put people. I'm not knocking the changes - they were obviously needed to be a money-maker - but having looked at the lots, I am simply at a loss to work it out logistically.  I guess we just have to trust that the new organizers know what they are doing.

Can't disagree with this at all, I have no clue either.  How are they going to double the amount of bands with the next announcement and still have one band playing at a time?  Or are two bands playing at one time?

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2016, 04:11:10 PM »

Great to see Joe writing about music again! I miss his ENS blog.

I am going to take a wait-and-see approach about the revamped MPMF. Honestly, it may be as simple for me to see where Leggy ends up that weekend (if anywhere). They've played the last 2 MPMFs. But if they were to end up at, say, the Wussy gig, then I'd prob do that.

I like Joe's comment about the initial MPMF line-up announcement feeling like it's taking him back to 2010. But I have to ask: is that really what we want from MPMF, a time machine to 2010?
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2016, 04:29:23 PM »

The festival organizers have said the shows will begin earlier in the day, so perhaps they think not everyone will show up for the earliest shows - but that still doesn't factor in how they plan to cram in everyone who will want to see, say, Bob Mould.

Not sure if only one act or two will play at a time. It would make sense to have more than one at a time, but the lots aren't that far apart so not sure how they plan to address the issue of sound bleeding from one stage to the other unless it will only be one band playing at a time.

It will be interesting, without a doubt.

Maybe they are planning to shut Sycamore down completely between Reading and 13th/14th which would eliminate the parking garage behind J&FS from being used for parking, which might mean they plan to use it as one of the venues. No idea if that is the case, just theorizing really.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2016, 05:17:41 PM »

He doesn't address a lot of things.  He seems to be making a lot of assumptions as to what constitutes a "realist".  There are no details re:  how financial matters were handled previously at MidPoint; he's just assuming the festival's setup could never be profitable.  How does the Pygmalion festival keep its MidPoint-like format going?  Are they doing something Cincinnati could apply locally?   And why is it only the old way or only the new way? Would some sort of compromise re:  how the festival is set up have been possible?  Add to that the very real questions about how this parking lot format will work logistically...

I'm not going to assume the new organizers know what they are doing.  And maybe part of that is I don't want to be packed into a parking lot like a sardine in can.  But I'm not going to this year's MidPoint under any circumstances.  I'll go to at least one of the Wussy shows, maybe both depending on who the opening acts are.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2016, 05:55:42 PM »

A music festival doesn't last 15 years consistently loosing money. At some point it zigged when it should have zagged. I for one blame the big dogs that came in and wanted to get paid / overpaid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2016, 10:36:48 PM »

A music festival doesn't last 15 years consistently loosing money.
excellent point, and one I have been thinking about too.

We've never seen any 'hard data' on how well MPMF did. Not that we should expect to, since it's not a publicly-held entity, but you gotta wonder...
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2016, 09:33:13 AM »

It's interesting that you mention Pygmalion, Dr.J. I've never been to that one and really don't know much about it, but there certainly is a lot of overlap of artists between Pygmalion and MPMF this year. Has that always been the case or have the new owners of MPMF taken the "easy" route of booking what is basically a Lollapalooza-type line-up of acts all touring the same circuit at the same time?

It seemed to me that in past years MPMF cherry-picked a lot of up-and-comers/unknowns to counterbalance the bigger names, which doesn't seem to be the case this time around.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2016, 10:39:53 AM »

I haven't been following Pygmalion all that long so I don't know what types of acts they've booked in past years.  I do know that Pygmalion is similar to (the old) Midpoint in using multiple venues.  The Big Ears festival in Knoxville (which I believe hasn't been around nearly as long as MidPoint and Pygmalion) also uses multiple venues.  It is held earlier in the year.  Big Ears seems to aim for headlining acts that don't tour all that much.  The most recent Big Ears fest had Anthony Braxton and, I believe, Sunn 0))) (or however that's spelled).
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2016, 03:33:51 PM »

A music festival doesn't last 15 years consistently loosing money.
excellent point, and one I have been thinking about too.

We've never seen any 'hard data' on how well MPMF did. Not that we should expect to, since it's not a publicly-held entity, but you gotta wonder...

huh.  there's still plenty of better options than parking lots
poach eggs, not elephants

crewbilly

• Summer Resident
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2016, 08:17:47 AM »

I pulled up Future Islands tour dates and their allegedly playing at Mr. Pitifuls for MPMF. Maybe that's the nearest business to one of the parking lots? I'm not terribly familiar with the layout of OTR.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2016, 12:59:12 PM »

I pulled up Future Islands tour dates and their allegedly playing at Mr. Pitifuls for MPMF. Maybe that's the nearest business to one of the parking lots? I'm not terribly familiar with the layout of OTR.
It's kinda close, but it should just say MidPoint Music Festival, Cincinnati. Their facebook page and the booking agent have it correct.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up