Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Cincinnati Reds 2016  (Read 6311 times)

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
Re: Cincinnati Reds 2016
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2016, 11:13:52 PM »

The Reds bullpen now consists of Wood, Coltham, and--maybe--Cingrani.  Beyond that, forget it.  What a depressing loss to Colorado earlier this evening.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2016, 09:44:12 AM »

I was at GABP last night. First of all: I don't recall having been to a Reds game with so few people in attendance, certainly not at GABP. The official attendance was announced as being 12,000 and change, but I'm telling you, it sure seemed to me there were far less than 10,000 people there. GABP was a graveyard for much of the game. Only once (when Cozart scored the only Reds run in the 6th) was there any resemblance of a game atmosphere.

Last night's game captured the season to date perfectly: a no-name starting pitcher doing better than expected; the offense pretty much absent the whole game, with Cozart being the only exception to speak of; and a close game that the bullpen has no trouble losing in the 8th inning once again. It was deja vu all over again.

With the way the Cubs are playing (they are going to run away with the division, mark my words), the Reds are going to be 10+ games behind very soon, and probably 20-25 GB by the All-Star Game.

So the only reason to go to the ballpark this year is to enjoy the weather and the stadium, and hopefully watch a couple of youngsters break through.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2016, 10:22:13 AM »

Dan Straily is actually somewhat interesting.  He strikes out a ton of batters even though he doesn't throw that hard.  His problem is he walks too many and he's a flyball pitcher.  And he's had some injuries.

But if he can get a few more GB and/or a little better command, he could be a solid pitcher.  If you think about, he was drafted by the A's, then went to the Cubs, then the Astros.  Those are all very modern, "moneyball" teams that know what they are doing.

Not like Straily is going to be an ace, but with the right coaching he could end up being a decent backend starter.  And then you flip him to another team for a high ceiling player/prospect.

The Cubs did this when they were rebuilding.  They took a similar pitcher in Scott Feldman, he pitched a solid half a season, and then they traded him to the Orioles.  That's how they got Jake Arrieta.  And Pedro Strop.  That deal has as much or more to do with the Cubs resurgence as any of their draft picks.

The Cubs actually did this with Straily himself.  They got him as a minor piece of the deal that sent Hammel and Samardzija to the A's for Addison Russell.  He didn't even do anything for the Cubs because he was hurt.  But the Cubs then traded him and Luis Valbuena to the Astros for Dexter Fowler.

People talk about how the Cubs and Astros built through the draft, but it's really not true.  The Astros did it more than the Cubs, but both teams improved a lot just by hard work.  You get good scouting and then just keep flipping players and bootstrap your way up.  Make moves like mad, and look to get a small profit in every move.  The Reds should have 2-3 Dan Strailys and no Alfredo Simons.

Anyway, most of the bad Reds starters aren't even real Reds.  They're just cannon fodder to eat innings while the real Reds are hurt.  And for someone like Stephenson, you're just getting him a bit of experience even though you know he isn't ready yet.

I actually don't mind rebuilding years because at least you know the team has a plan and is going somewhere.  You won't win but watching the young players is exciting, and you maybe follow the minor league teams a little more closely.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2016, 12:22:40 PM »

Reds won last night, but no thanks to closer JJ "ERA 15+" Hoover... Wow.

The 12:35 series closer vs Colorado is about to start. Looking out my office window (right onto the Reds stadium), there are a few people mulling about, but you can hardly tell that there is an MLB game to be played.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2016, 12:42:02 PM »

My prediction before the season was that the Reds hit 73 wins.  And I still feel like that is a good possibility, they may even flirt with .500 for a good long while.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2016, 05:03:37 PM »

Yet ANOTHER bullpen meltdown in the 8th (allowing 3 runs to tie the game) but thankfully the Reds escape in the 9th with a walk-off hit. Wow. Surely there must be a few relief pitchers out there that are better? Because it can't get any worse than the relief pitchers they have now...

From ESPN:

CINCINNATI -- Tucker Barnhart hit a game-ending single in the ninth inning, and the Cincinnati Reds overcame a bullpen meltdown and took advantage of a Colorado baserunning blunder to beat the Rockies 6-5 Wednesday.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2016, 10:51:01 PM »

It's one thing to get no-hit, in, say, a 1-0 or 2-0 game. It's quite another to be no-hit 16-0. wow.

Props obviously to Arrieta, but really this was boys against men. A dark moment for Reds fans.

On the other hand, bright days are ahead for Cubs fans. This may be their year.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2016, 11:00:40 PM »

At that point, I'd honestly rather be no hit.

Is it really any worse than a 16-0 two hit shut out?  At least you saw something special.

It sucks to lose the no no-hit streak, but it was kind of a tainted streak anyway since the Reds hit shut out four years ago, just not in the regular season.

What are the Reds-- like 8-3 against everyone but Chicago?  Not so bad, really.  The pen will get better.  If only because they could probably get four guys off the waiver wire who would be better.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2016, 07:16:19 AM »

On the other hand, bright days are ahead for Cubs fans. This may be their year.

Don't worry, the Cubs will blow it in the playoffs.  They always do.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2016, 02:50:54 AM »

i went to the billy goat tavern recently
poach eggs, not elephants

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2016, 10:41:19 PM »

So I was away on holiday the past week. The Reds didn't win a single game while I was gone. I'm not counting Sunday's up-and-down win vs. the Pirates as I landed back that day.

Tonite back at home, the Reds are up 6-3, and in the 7th inning, the bullpen blew it again, giving up 5 runs. Wow. The worst bullpen ever?

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2016, 02:20:21 AM »

Wow. The worst bullpen ever?

Yes, now officially the worst bullpen ever.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2016, 09:50:48 AM »

Ok, so the Reds are in a complete free fall now.

At the start of the season, I figured the Reds would be out of first by 15 games by the end of May (and the reason I wanted to use our firm's suite for client entertainment as early as possible, which I did--twice earlier this month), but the way things are going right now, it might well be 20 games, if not more.

Reds are an MLB-worst 3-16 on the road. Yes, a pathetic 3 wins in 19 road games, and they have 8 more games to go on the current road trip. They might well finish it 1-9, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I know it doesn't make much or any difference whether to fire Bryan Price midway into the season, but at a certain point, you gotta wonder how much more Bob Castellini will put up with. Attendance has plummeted along the way as well.

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2016, 10:20:18 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised to see him finish the season but not have his contract renewed.  A change of manager isn't going make Votto remember how to hit, stop players from getting injured or turn a bunch of minor league quality pitchers into consistent winners or protect a lead.  I haven't been to many games this season and it's been since the beginning of May since I've been to GABP, so I don't know if the team has just given up (in which case, that probably is on Price.)  Are they still showing life on the field or are have they turned into Dunn/Kearns/Griffey Mk.2?

I'll just sit tight until Homer returns and then everything will correct itself, right?   ;D
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2016, 10:26:56 AM »

I saw they just put up all 15 Sun-Thurs games for June-July into a package for $59.  That actually sounds fun even if they are turrible.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up