Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Cincinnati Reds 2016  (Read 6302 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: Cincinnati Reds 2016
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2016, 12:05:57 PM »

Bryan Price is awful, IMO.

But with the team rebuilding, I would have said the only thing that really matters is how well he handles the young players... making sure the pitchers don't throw too much or that the hitters don't get too discouraged as they adjust.

Except everyone has been hurt, or not good enough for promotion, or the Reds are understandably trying to save a buck so Price hasn't really had to work with Peraza, Iglesias, Stephenson, Reed, DeSclafani, etc.

I think Bud Black is a good manager, so I would jump on hiring him if he wants the job.  Which he probably doesn't.  Failing that, then they might as well wait until the end of the season. 

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2016, 01:16:08 PM »

You know, I've always wondered why the Reds went with Price after they fired Baker.  They still had a very talented team that probably would have benefited from a manager with playoff experience, not someone unproven from the ranks.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2016, 12:41:56 AM »

thank you Minn Twins from keeping the Reds having the worst record in MLB. At least for now <sigh>
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2016, 06:00:08 PM »

Well, well, well--the Reds have a little backbone after all--or at least Alfredo Simon does.  Today's game against the Brewers is in progress as I type this.  Chase "Cunt" Anderson, the Brewers pitcher had already hit two Reds batters.  Tyler Holt was at third for the Reds and had home stolen.  So the Cunt hit Simon, who was at the plate, meaning the ball was dead and Holt had to go back to third.  Anderson should have been ejected on the spot.  But no.  Price went out to argue with the umpires--hopefully to ask why Anderson wasn't ejected.  But when the Cunt came up to bat, Simon drilled the shit out of him.  Good job! And Simon was ejected.  Total bullshit--Anderson should have had his ass thrown out when he hit Simon.  Yes, stupid Reds TV announcers, Simon was pitching the best that he had in a long time.  But you're wrong that the Reds should have gotten revenge some time in the future.  You can't take that bullshit from the opposing team.  I hope that will light a fire under the Reds.  But I'm not optimistic.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2016, 04:32:28 PM »

So long, Jay Bruce. Thanks for the 9 seasons that you gave to the organization and the fans.

We will miss you.

Wishing you the best in the remainder years of your career

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCE!!!!!!!!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2016, 06:48:06 PM »

So long, Jay Bruce. Thanks for the 9 seasons that you gave to the organization and the fans.

We will miss you.

Wishing you the best in the remainder years of your career

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCE!!!!!!!!

Yes, Bruce was a class act.  And he has come a long way this season as far as being more consistent at the plate.

As for the players the Reds got in return from the Mets...well, I used to think fans were joking when they would say that Walt Jocketty was still on the Cardinals' payroll.  But now I'm not so sure it's a joke.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2016, 10:34:54 PM »

As for the "prospects" they Reds got, who knows? only time will tell. Anyone who says they "know" what these guys will do or become in the future is a fool or a liar or both. It's a crap shoot. Let's hope it works out...

Have to agree with DrJohn as to what a class act Jay Bruce has been throughout his tenure here in Cincinnati. Reason I wish him the best.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2016, 11:04:32 AM »

Dilson Herrera's alright.  Not going to be a star, but has a pretty decent chance at being average.  Some might argue he already is, since he was about average when he was with the Mets last year.

They were not going to get a big return for Bruce, as while he is having a big resurgence offensively this year, people are still wary of how he was absolute crap for the previous two seasons.  Also, his fielding now is so bad it negates almost all of the value he produces with the bat.

It was a bit of a strange trade for the Mets.  They needed a hitter, but not an OF and not the kind of hitter Bruce is.  Now they have 4 corner outfielders who all stink at defense, have a lot of power and strike out a lot.  The trade looks okay on paper strictly in terms of value.  But in terms of team needs, the Mets get very little.

It's a little similar on the Reds side as they already have Peraza.  But the difference is that the Reds are rebuilding so you can never have too many prospects.  And they can figure out if they want to trade one of their guys in the offseason.  They have time, whereas the Mets are trying to win now.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2016, 12:23:01 PM »

Herrera is still only 22 and he's played parts of two major league seasons with the Mets.

As I was trying to explain to my son, when you're rebuilding, you need lots of prospects because many of them just won't pan out... But you have to give yourself a chance to have enough quantity along with quality that some will.  And if you're really lucky, a couple of them are stars.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2016, 10:19:19 AM »

i'm more and more impressed with tucker.  i'm thinking mez moves to the outfield or preferably third.  move schebler to left.  and yes, i'm a big fan of small sample sizes.  it also appears iglesias will never be a starter.  i suppose let him build some value in the bullpen and ship him.  kinda sucks.  was a big fan
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2016, 10:47:26 AM »

I think Iglesias still has a lot of value as a guy who can come in and throw 2-3 innings shutdown innings every few days. 

I mean, it's a total bummer because if he could handle the workload he could be maybe a top ten starter.  But they're still not paying him that much and a strong middle reliever is easily worth the  $5m or so in salary.

The Reds have a lot of arms so their failed starters a la Iglesias, Lorenzen, possibly Finnegan will likely turn into excellent MR.  DeSclafini is a good middle rotation guy.  And between Lamb, Moscot, and five other dudes, they should find two good backend starters.

But they really, really need Reed or Stephenson to turn into an ace.  Reed actually looks pretty good except he just totally loses it at some point every game and gives up 4 runs just like that.  But I think that's just rookie inexperience.  Stephenson though, is starting to smell a little busty.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2016, 11:27:16 AM »

Setup guys are pretty valuable, so I think Iglesias definitely has value there.  Just witness the game last night... no Iglesias, no Lorenzen, no Cingrani and the Reds give up 3 runs in 2 innings and only are lucky enough to win with a walkoff from Scott Schebler.  Yes, Scott Schebler.

I agree with you ZK, R-Steves is starting to worry me.  I am not sure though that they need Reed or he to turn into an ace but they need one of them to be solid.  I think DeSclafani and Bailey are not a bad core to start with, though Homer just turned 30 this year.  They may just end up with five #3 starters, and you could do a lot worse.  Still think Amir Garrett could be pretty good also.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2016, 06:55:07 PM »

I think that's the biggest potential flaw with the Reds now.  They could end up with five #3 starters.  And on the hitting side they could end up with Hamilton, Peraza, Duvall, Herrera all being average players.  Peraza and Herrera being very vanilla, and Hamilton and Duvall being awesome at certain things but horribly flawed in other ways.

And to an extent, that's not bad.  That is a nice, cheap, fairly young core of players.  If it were the Cubs, I'd be fairly happy with that. But the Cubs have the $$ to spend on big FA's like Zobrist, Heyward (not working out so well, though), Lester, Lackey to complement their core (which is actually somewhat phenomenal as opposed to just "solid").  The Reds don't have the $$ to add a superstar or two to put them over the top.   

I think the Reds took the tack of sacrificing high ceiling and high risk in favor of players closer to being major league ready.  As a result, they can turn things around in a hurry and be .500 next year.  But they might never make it much past that.

That's why I think they really need one of Reed and Stephenson to be a TOR guy, and maybe Winker to turn into an all-star hitter.  Pull that off, and the Reds are legit contenders.  Otherwise, they'll end up being decent enough... maybe eck out a wildcard one year, but no more.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2016, 10:36:05 PM »

That's why I think they really need one of Reed and Stephenson to be a TOR guy, and maybe Winker to turn into an all-star hitter.  Pull that off, and the Reds are legit contenders.  Otherwise, they'll end up being decent enough... maybe eck out a wildcard one year, but no more.
you talking about the 0-6 Reed? And not just that. I see the Reds going nowhere for years to come, sadly. Way too much competition in their own division, as another thing. Wildcard one year? I wish!!!!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2016, 09:37:48 AM »

Hot take!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up