Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Cincinnati Reds 2016  (Read 6303 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: Cincinnati Reds 2016
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2016, 10:53:59 PM »

I don't think you can blame the media or anyone else for thinking the Reds would suck, which in all fairness I still think they will.  And probably even most Reds fans will still be very happy if they finish .500.  Melville got lucky.  5 hits and 4 walks in 4 IP is horrible, but somehow resulted in only 1 run.

But I don't know.  5-1 is 5-1.  It doesn't mean anything this early in the season for sure.  But the Cubs are 5-1 and I'm certainly not complaining about it.

I do think the Cubs are legitimate favorites in the division.  I don't think they are over-rated in that respect but I wouldn't blame anyone for being sick of hearing about it.  Plus, so much can happen in a baseball season.  The pre-season WS favorite in any given year probably still only has about a 20% chance of winning, tops.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2016, 10:50:53 AM »

Was Price seriously going to leave Finnegan out there to try and finish that no-hitter?  Why does he even still have a job?

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2016, 11:46:13 AM »

From the AP report:

Would he have been allowed to complete a no-hitter? Manager Bryan Price said no.

"He had a chance to throw a seven-inning no-hitter, but once his pitch count got up over 105 that was gonna be it for the night," Price said. "His night would have been over after the 7th."

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2016, 01:11:46 PM »

Well that's a blatant lie from Price, since Finnegan threw 111 pitches.  There wasn't even anyone up in the pen when Finnegan passed 105.

Maybe someone can get C Trent Rosencrans to ask Price about Cozart's availability.  Troll Price into throwing another fit and then maybe that finally prompts someone to fire him.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2016, 01:32:44 PM »

LOL. This makes me feel like you have Finnegan in your fantasy team.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2016, 02:07:07 PM »

Well that's a blatant lie from Price, since Finnegan threw 111 pitches.  There wasn't even anyone up in the pen when Finnegan passed 105.

Maybe someone can get C Trent Rosencrans to ask Price about Cozart's availability.  Troll Price into throwing another fit and then maybe that finally prompts someone to fire him.

Well they were at 6.2 innings at that point, I think they didn't have anyone up because they figured he would finish out the 7th no problem, and then have a whole half inning to get someone ready.  As soon as someone got on base, people started getting warmed up.  Not sure what else you would have Price do.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2016, 03:13:01 PM »

I'm just saying, if you decide that your pitcher has a hard cap of 105 pitches, and your pitcher ends up throwing 111 pitches, then you are a terrible manager.  The ability to count should be a minimal requirement for the position.

1)  There was no reason to expect that Finnegan was going to make it out of the seventh in 105 pitches.  He started the inning at 92 pitches.  92/6=15.3333.  92+15.3333=107.333.

2)  Finnegan didn't have to start that inning at all.  He should be on an innings cap considering he's previous season high in innings is like 60 or something.  So one extra inning now just means one less inning later.  92 pitches is a decent amount for a guy still getting stretched out.  Finnegan could have walked away, knowing he pitched well and in line for the win and didn't allow any hits.  You get a pinch hitter so you can possibly extend your 3-0 lead.  Your relievers have plenty of time to warm up and can come in with a clean slate.

3)  If you want Finnegan to start the inning, then have someone get up after the first batter.  Or the second batter.  Do you really care if Caleb Cotham has to get up and then sit back down?  He's far less important to the Reds future than Finnegan.

If Price had said "I just thought Finnegan deserved the chance to get through 7 and we'll just take it easy on him the next start" that might have been okay.  Or if he had been at 95 pitches and then Ross worked like a 12 pitch AB and Finnegan ends up throwing 107 then 2 pitches isn't a big deal and the odds of Ross working a count like that are low, so that's acceptable as well.

But the way that situation unfolded, if you have a hard cap of 105 pitches and he ends up throwing 111 despite you having had at least three chances to pull him, it's just bad managerial discipline. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2016, 03:37:22 PM »

It was a poorly managed game from Pryce, period.

And this stuff about "pitch count" is complete BS, by the way. As recently as 20-25 years ago, there was no such thing, and somehow the world didn't stop turning.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2016, 04:08:40 PM »

No, you just had a lot of crappy pitching because promising young starters blew out their arms, and being able to throw 250 innings was more important than being able to throw 185 good innings.

None of those teams from back then would stance a chance against any of today's teams. 

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2016, 10:42:11 AM »

No, you just had a lot of crappy pitching because promising young starters blew out their arms, and being able to throw 250 innings was more important than being able to throw 185 good innings.

None of those teams from back then would stance a chance against any of today's teams.

not even the big red machine?  girl you crazy.  it's only because they didn't have crazy things like war back then.  all kidding aside, i would consider this year a success (and pryce his job) if a solid rotation or at least a core group of pitchers emerged.  since i consider this season a wash, i don't mind the bullpen blowing leads and games so long as it isn't the pitchers we're trying to develop. 

and for something interesting, would you trade suarez? 
poach eggs, not elephants

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2016, 11:34:02 AM »

not even the big red machine?  girl you crazy. 

*snort*
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2016, 01:47:49 PM »

not even the big red machine?  girl you crazy.  it's only because they didn't have crazy things like war back then.  all kidding aside, i would consider this year a success (and pryce his job) if a solid rotation or at least a core group of pitchers emerged.  since i consider this season a wash, i don't mind the bullpen blowing leads and games so long as it isn't the pitchers we're trying to develop. 

Right, and that's why I would have erred on the side of pulling Finnegan early.  If he pitches decently this year, he could be a #2/#3 starter for years to come.  Caleb Cotham and Jumbo Diaz can blow leads all year and pitch until their arms fall off and it doesn't matter.

No, I wouldn't trade Eugenio Suarez.  He's young and cheap.  Anyone under team control who is even mediocre is worth a ton.  I think Suarez is better than mediocre already, and maybe he's for real. 

If the Reds are right about Peraza being a future all-star then Suarez and Peraza should be a nice MI combo for a bunch of years.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2016, 02:49:52 PM »

Well, that good feeling of the first week lasted... a week. The fact we had any "good feeling" at all was amazing.

The Reds showed true colors against the Cubs, I'm afraid. You might say "well, the Cubs are  super-stacked this year" and you're probably right. But the Reds' pitching staff is so underwhelming that they'll have a hard time against many teams.

I'm going to my first Reds game on Monday. Weather forecast: 79 and sunny. Perfect.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2016, 03:43:07 PM »

The Reds rotation actually looks sort of promising.  The bullpen is beyond terrible, but that doesn't matter very much during a rebuild.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2016, 10:55:39 PM »

well, the Reds managed 1 win (barely, no thanks to "closer" JJ Hover, whose ERA is around 17 or 18, I think, yea you read rightSt. Louis ) on the road trip to Chicago and St. Louis. So they are 6-6 now. Probably where they should be.

The upcoming St. Louis vs Cubs should be interesting.

Going to the Reds game tomorrow vs. Colorado. The Reds starting pitcher is a guy I've never heard of.... hmmmm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up