Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP Prince  (Read 2707 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
RIP Prince
« on: April 21, 2016, 01:31:01 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/22/arts/music/prince-dead.html

I know quite a few on here will be devastated.

Chris

• Citizen
Re: RIP Prince
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 01:40:12 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/22/arts/music/prince-dead.html

I know quite a few on here will be devastated.

Someone just played "I Would Die 4 U" in our office and changed his name back to The Artist Formerly Known As Prince. Stay classy, co-workers!

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 01:48:33 PM »

This both sucks and blows.  Someone on another site posted this, from the Rock and Roll HoF induction ceremony in 2004... Prince starts destroying everyone else on stage at about 3:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 01:53:23 PM »

This is shocking. First David Bowie, out of the blue. Now this, completely unexpected as well.

Anyone know what the cause of death was?
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 02:05:46 PM »

Supposedly he had been sick with the flu in recent days, but I don't think anyone knows yet.

Butter

• City Elder

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 04:18:36 PM »

So much sadness. :(
Evidently he was in the recording studio. At least he was at home and not on the road.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 08:40:44 AM »

In the 80s and 90s I can honestly say I was not a big fan of Prince - I mean, I liked some of his stuff (Delirious and When You Were Mine are fucking ACES ALL THE WAY) - but it wasn't until I saw him live that I "got it," and I have CR to thank for that. I had been on the fence about going but he and the two friends we went with cajoled me into it.

At the time, 80 quid seemed a lot of money to pay out for someone I was rather ambivalent about, but I am SO GLAD the three of them talked me into going.

Prince sold out 21 nights at London's O2 Arena and we bought tickets for the closing night. Upon entry, attendants gave everyone glow sticks, which apparently they hadn't done on previous nights (at least according to those around us who had already attended one or more of the other nights). Everyone was told that Prince would tell us when to crack the glow sticks, which he did for Purple Rain. What a sight it was to see 10K+ people in the round, all waving purple glow sticks in unison! Bloody brilliant and still brings tears to my eyes when I think about it.

Prince played for 3 1/2 hours and I was astonished at how many songs of his I knew (and I have never in my life owned a single Prince album - but CR owns enough of them for the both of us). And I was even more astonished at just what a phenomenal performer he was. He gave the audience 110 percent, easily, and probably could have given us another 3 1/2 hours if the venue would have let him. As it was, we heard he went to some small club afterward and played for another couple of hours, just to unwind.

Of all the shows I have ever seen - and I've seen quite a few over the years - that Prince show at the O2 is easily in my top five of all time. I just can't quite believe we'll never get a chance to see him perform again.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 09:16:22 AM »

This both sucks and blows.  Someone on another site posted this, from the Rock and Roll HoF induction ceremony in 2004... Prince starts destroying everyone else on stage at about 3:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

Whoa.  I love that you don't even know he's there until he starts making everybody else on stage seem irrelevant.  The "what the fuck did I just watch" face that Dhani Harrison is making at 4:45 says it all.  Prince's exit is smooth as hell.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 12:25:43 PM »

Now he can always see the sun.... Day... or NIGHT!!!!

He wrote a tear-jerky gospel song with a metal guitar solo in it about "purple rain."  Then made it the centerpiece of an album and a movie where the iconic moment would be him playing the song while sporting a hot perm and wearing a pirate blouse. 

It worked.  That's how much of a genius he was.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 01:03:06 PM »

Starting tonight at 6PM their time (7PM Eastern) they are going to be playing every Prince song in alphabetical order (A-W, since apparently there are no Prince songs that start with X,Y, or Z). They estimate it will be about 26 hours of straight Prince.

I was blown away by the MSP reaction to his death. I knew he was a huge deal there, but had no idea how big. In a matter of hours, they organized a mini concert/memorial outside of 1st Avenue, shutting down the street for hours with lots of local big names showing up. Then 1st Ave opened up for HUGE all night dance party. No cover and it went until 7 AM. There were still people waiting to get in at 3AM. I can't think of anyone the Cincinnati would have a similar reaction for.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 01:16:21 PM »

Starting tonight at 6PM their time (7PM Eastern) they are going to be playing every Prince song in alphabetical order (A-W, since apparently there are no Prince songs that start with X,Y, or Z). They estimate it will be about 26 hours of straight Prince.

Who are "they" in this information?

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 01:40:05 PM »

Who are "they" in this information?

Probably The Current.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 07:43:31 PM »

Oops. Yeah,  it's the Current.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 10:32:54 AM »

If you didn't watch or DVR SNL last night, check your On Demand for it.  The whole episode was a Prince tribute.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up