Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP Prince  (Read 3538 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Re: RIP Prince
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 11:09:26 AM »

I probably watched like 6 hours of Prince videos this weekend from the various MTV outlets. So many great songs, many that I barely remembered or hadn't even heard before.

"Mountains"
"7"
"Take Me With U"
"Black Sweat"

Late Saturday night, VH1 showed the "long version" of a live concert video where he performed "I Would Die 4 U" and "Baby I'm a Star"... and Baby I'm a Star literally goes on for like 15 minutes. He just goes nuts and has Sheila E. do something like 4 drum solos... at some point, he takes a scarf off and literally rips his shirt open... you can just see the buttons flying off. Prowls the stage for this whole jam session before finally ending it after 20 minutes. It was amazing... Makes me sad I never saw him live.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 09:34:48 PM »

I still can't believe he's gone. I had a rental car this weekend, and the XM preview station was the Prince tribute channel. I realized that I didn't know many of his songs after the early 90s (i.e. when I moved to North Carolina - I don't think any of the radio stations here played prince other than the newer "play anything" formats - but they stick with the 80s hits). You just can't help to dance to so many of his songs. I've watched clips shared on Facebook - so many performances that I'd never seen before, but again demonstrate what a great artist he was. I've started watching the SNL special, but I'm watching it a clip at a time to make it last longer.

My strongest Prince memories are from Junior High. We could bring in songs to play in Music class, and I remember that Darling Nikki was strictly forbidden. Then Purple Rain was featured quite a bit at one of the seventh grade dances (DJ'ed by our band director). He was one artist that just about everyone in junior high could agree to listen to.
also known as rcc94

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 11:01:26 AM »

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 12:58:29 PM »

Prince is number 1 on the charts again.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/26/arts/music/prince-death-album-sales-charts.html

It is heartening to know that fans are actually buying music again. It's too bad it took the death of such a profound performer/artist for it to happen, but it's nice to see. I don't remember this happening with David Bowie, but maybe I just didn't notice?

When I worked in music retail BITD, it was a windfall every time an artist died. For instance, when John Denver died his stuff started flying off the shelves, even though he hadn't had a hit in years. He wasn't even anywhere close to our store's core demographic, but still we sold boxloads.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 02:07:42 PM »

I think it's mostly because of a) the outpouring of love for him and b) none of his music is available on streaming. And I really think it's mostly b.

If you could find "When Doves Cry" or "1999" on youtube/spotify/etc then I bet there'd be a lot fewer purchases.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2016, 03:53:04 PM »

I hadn't thought of that. I bet you are right.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2016, 09:26:16 PM »

It did happen with Bowie following his death, too.  Blackstar was his first Number 1 US album.  And I think he had another album chart. Lack of Prince music for streaming had to contribute, as Dan said. 

But Prince is just another level yet. He's one of those few national treasures. I happened to catch the 5:30 national news when I got home the day he passed.  ABC covered the story for EIGHT minutes!!!!  Wow.  That is a ton of time for 30 minute national news coverage. RIP Prince, we'll miss you and your crazy good talent!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 09:31:13 PM by kcneon »

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 10:34:25 PM »

From personal experience, Minneapolis this last week has been like nothing I've ever seen.  Like someone said on the first page, the street outside First Avenue was shut down and about 10,000 people showed up to grieve and celebrate his music.  There were all-night dance parties last weekend too after mainroom shows by Bob Mould (they played 'When You Were Mine' in homage to the purple one). I was not around when Elvis and John Lennon died, but people have said this feels similar.  I'm still in shock, honestly.  I wasn't even a diehard fan! 

I've been posting tons of local stories about Prince on my FB page this week from friends and acquaintances and I'm just going to repeat one here, which has always made me laugh the dozens of times I've told it to friends.  We need laughs.  This year has been terrible for music fans, or moozeekfans even.

"When I was working for Prince in the studio, he called and said to get him qtip. I'm thinking great, where am I supposed to find a qtip, but then remember there are the kind in the recording studio to clean tape heads, so I bring him one of those. He says thanks, closes his office door and immediately calls again (he'd always call instead of just ask you in person). Again, he asks for qtip and hangs up. WTF?! I was young and fairly new and starting to panic, so I call his assistant, even though it was like 2 in the morning. She explains to me the rapper Q-Tip is in town and he wants to see him. Thaaaaanks! This is what happens when you hire white boys."
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 08:39:27 AM »

From personal experience, Minneapolis this last week has been like nothing I've ever seen.  Like someone said on the first page, the street outside First Avenue was shut down and about 10,000 people showed up to grieve and celebrate his music.  There were all-night dance parties last weekend too after mainroom shows by Bob Mould (they played 'When You Were Mine' in homage to the purple one). I was not around when Elvis and John Lennon died, but people have said this feels similar.  I'm still in shock, honestly.  I wasn't even a diehard fan! 

I've been posting tons of local stories about Prince on my FB page this week from friends and acquaintances and I'm just going to repeat one here, which has always made me laugh the dozens of times I've told it to friends.  We need laughs.  This year has been terrible for music fans, or moozeekfans even.

"When I was working for Prince in the studio, he called and said to get him qtip. I'm thinking great, where am I supposed to find a qtip, but then remember there are the kind in the recording studio to clean tape heads, so I bring him one of those. He says thanks, closes his office door and immediately calls again (he'd always call instead of just ask you in person). Again, he asks for qtip and hangs up. WTF?! I was young and fairly new and starting to panic, so I call his assistant, even though it was like 2 in the morning. She explains to me the rapper Q-Tip is in town and he wants to see him. Thaaaaanks! This is what happens when you hire white boys."
I'm just now seeing this. So hilarious.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2019, 10:40:06 AM »

For anyone who hasn't been deep into Prince's catalog but absolutely loves to listen to his guitar solo at the R&R Hall of Fame:

https://youtu.be/RdQqxHW5F5c

It does not get sexier than this song, if you're into sexy songs.
It THROBS, PULSATES. Jeeebus.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up