Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: English Premier League 2016/17  (Read 8407 times)

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
English Premier League 2016/17
« on: June 01, 2016, 09:33:11 PM »

Have it at peeps!
Opulence. I has it.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: English Premier League 2016/17
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 09:40:57 PM »

For starters, Southampton might be in the US for a quick tour.

Linkety link.

From the article:

“We’ve penciled in a training camp early in pre-season, which will probably be a young squad with the players who don’t play in the EUROs. That’s likely to be in the US – it's not confirmed yet, but it would be a short, sharp trip, probably a week.

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 03:40:22 PM »

Our sources inside the club are suggesting Baltimore
Opulence. I has it.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 10:19:34 AM »

Rville meet up in Baltimore?

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 05:34:00 PM »

From the BBC:

Everton have agreed a deal with Southampton to make Ronald Koeman their new manager

Here the link: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36455355

Apparently 5 mill. was what it took to get it done.

I suppose the new ownership of Everton must've made large transfer spending promises to Koeman, why would he otherwise have agreed to this?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:35:55 PM by euro60 »
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 11:19:53 PM »

why would he otherwise have agreed to this?
The six million reasons the ginger judas accepted.
Everton will crash and burn. Next season's QPR
Opulence. I has it.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 08:18:28 AM »

From the BBC:

Everton have agreed a deal with Southampton to make Ronald Koeman their new manager

Here the link: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36455355

Apparently 5 mill. was what it took to get it done.

I suppose the new ownership of Everton must've made large transfer spending promises to Koeman, why would he otherwise have agreed to this?

They doubled his wages, too.  But unlike most Saints supporters I don't think that was the only factor.  The transfer budget was a part of it too. It was... everything.  Basically they offered him the moon and stars and he believed in their promises. 

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 10:01:29 AM »

http://sotonians.com/chat/saints-next-manager?p=8

Scroll down to the first "Jack Schitt" post.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 11:08:30 AM »

The rumblings about Koeman and the young players/academy have been going on for a bit.  I would guess there is some element of truth to them.

But they only really get brought up when people are mad.  When Saints were in the midst of that January losing spree, all of this got brought up.

Then all the whining about how he didn't play young players disappeared when Saints stuck to their first team rather than play the youth and made a huge comeback up the standings to qualify for Euro.

A month ago, everyone was all happy that Koeman was going to sign.  Now it's all "Yeah the board weren't that happy with them."

So I think Koeman has his flaws, but so does everyone.  People just choose to focus on the negative bits or not depending upon their mood and agenda at the time.

It doesn't really matter.  I think Koeman was a pretty solid manager.  He's pretty professional and all that.  And that is really want Saints needed after Pochettino left and everything looked like it was going sideways.  He steadied the ship.

But I think pure footballing-wise Pochettino is probably a better manager.  And I think there are other better managers than Koeman out there.  It's a risk, because Koeman despite his flaws was pretty good, just not great.

I think Everton is going to regret it.  They are paying a lot of money and putting a lot of trust into a guy who is just pretty good.  They should have taken the risk on Pochettino or someone more interesting.  But since they didn't, now Saints can. 

To me it's an interesting opportunity.  I would rather have AVB or Emery than Koeman, quite honestly.  But I wouldn't have the balls to sack Koeman for someone else.  But since their hand is now forced...

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 10:46:09 AM »

Is Bob Bradley available?!? :) :-)

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 09:44:48 AM »

Frenchman Claude Puel is Southampton's new manager. He was heavily pursued by Anderlecht but (wisely) declined them.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 01:34:13 PM »

Thoughts from rville on Puel?

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 03:49:18 PM »

I'm alright with it. 

Wenger protege, and I've always liked Wenger more than most.  Puel sucked at Lyon, but seems to have been good everywhere else.  Nice sound like they were sad to see him go.  He actually made something out of Hatem Ben Arfa.

Supposedly good at developing academy talent and working on a budget.  Clubs he has worked for mostly follow the buy cheap, keep a few years, sell high model that Saints use as well.  So he's a good fit, philosophically.

He plays a 4-1-2-1-2 Diamond, which is the greatest formation in the history of football.  Which Saints should play as well since the only winger they had who was worth anything was Mane, and he's gone. 

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 11:42:38 PM »

I think it's a good appointment. Southampton have not made mistakes with the last two managers they brought in and I doubt they've lost that ability to hire the right man for the job.

His job is simple. Just finish above Tottenham, Liverpool and (especially) Everton, even if that means we end the season in 17th place.
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 01:44:59 PM »

Which Premier club has the most players still in the Euros?

Why, that would be mighty Crystal Palace!

Wayne Hennessey, Joe Ledley, Jonathan Williams (Wales)
Steve Mandanda, Yohan Cabaye (France)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up