Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: English Premier League 2016/17  (Read 7751 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: English Premier League 2016/17
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2017, 10:33:23 PM »

ZK, you are right of course.

One can always wish for a "Leicester City" season, but honestly, how many times does that happen?

As an outsider, it seems to me that Southampton should strive to be a legitimate contender to try and reach Europa League. Anything more than that is just pure gravy.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2017, 09:58:21 AM »

I think that's what Saints have been and are doing.  They just can't admit it.  Or more likely, that's not how they think about it.  It's less a matter of setting an explicitly lower goal and being okay with it than focusing on club stability and fiscal health and see how far you can get.  Realistically, that's probably going to be Europa, and I think Saints know that deep down but they're just focusing on making the team better within the restraints they have.

When Nicola Cortese was in charge, he had huge plans and was spending a ton of cash to do it.  But he has been gone several years now, and Saints have had a similar pattern since then.  They spend within their means in terms of wages and transfer fees.  When the big clubs come in offering huge contracts, they sell their players rather than try to match. 

As their finances and results have improved, they have gradually expanded their wages and transfer fees to match but it's all been done fairly conservatively.

If they were going to make a big spending splash, they had a big opportunity last off-season.  But they didn't do it.  Instead they mostly brought in young players again, and also used some of the younger players in the system.  So it's obvious that their strategy (although somewhat forced upon them) is to get players young and cheap, watch their value rise, and then sell them off for a new crop of young players.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2017, 04:15:18 PM »

When Roger Bennett (of Men In Blazers) went to Southampton a couple of Novembers ago and did a whole piece on them he mostly said all the same stuff that us fans already knew in his big piece. However, he said on a later podcast that when he was interviewing all of the front office, and the team was doing VERY well at the time, that instead of everyone getting caught up in the race for a championship or Champions League, the front office kept on talking about a top ten finish. At the time it seemed blasphemy to me, but in hindsight if that was true then the club has continued on that wise and conservative path.

Fighting for a top ten finish every year is a pretty good goal. I want them to win the whole thing, obviously, but it's not my money they are spending so I can't really be upset.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2017, 09:04:30 PM »

It was noticeable even in the aired documentary.

Since RK has been there he generally avoids explicit goals.  The most he will do is say that he thinks the team might someday play Champions League, or maybe they could title challenge because who knows?  Never that he felt like the club would be contending every year.  Just... maybe sometime they might get in.

Cortese would always say he felt the team would be the best in Europe.  It wasn't even a goal for him.  He genuinely thought it would happen.  And he quit when it turned out the club wasn't willing to take the financial risk to do it. 

It was kinda cool that Cortese had that attitude.  It would have been fun in some ways to see if the club could do it.

OTOH, he was spending like a drunken sailor.  Not just on players but everything.  I have heard that the cost overruns on Staplewood were insane because he would make everyone redo everything if there was the smallest flaw.  And everyone hated him because he was such a demanding, micromanaging perfectionist.  So in all likelihood the club would be staring at administration right now had KL not pulled the plug on that.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2017, 01:28:07 PM »

The Lukaku sweepstakes apparently are over: it's ManUnited after all, for a cool 75 mill. (Pounds of course.)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40516483

I always thought that a move to ManUnited made a lot of sense, with Ibram a goner. But I suspected Chelsea was Lukaku's preferred choice, and he/his agent tried as long as possible to secure a Chelsea bid.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2017, 10:57:29 PM »

ManCity making moves in the transfer market. I'm guessing they'll be one of the top faves for the upcoming EPL season...

Speaking of which, CR, start a new threat already!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up