Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: English Premier League 2016/17  (Read 9448 times)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Re: English Premier League 2016/17
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2017, 09:04:30 AM »

I can't speak for ZK, but I reckon they have fulfilled the goals set forth by Markus Liebherr and now that Katharina has seen it through, she wants out.

As for Fonte and VVD, CR has a mate on the inside who filled us in on what is going on, but I'll leave that up to him to either post or not.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2017, 09:29:37 AM »

Ummm, you can call me and tell me!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2017, 01:50:27 PM »

I am in Summer of 2018 and Jose Fonte's contract is up.  I was going to extend him another year and deal with the repercussions, but after yesterday I went home last night and released him.

Then I tried to put the moves on his wife and I got sacked. 

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2017, 03:00:07 PM »

Oooh, the Jose Mesa/Carlos Baerga controversy!

Or is it the Alan Pardew controversy! Even better.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 03:47:10 PM by Dan »

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2017, 03:16:33 PM »

Then I tried to put the moves on his wife and I got sacked. 

Well if that isn't a GSPOTD I don't know what is. :)
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2017, 11:18:18 PM »

JF came back from the Euros all Billy Big Bollocks and became surprisingly (& uncharacteristically) disruptive after he swapped agents to someone more aggressive and wankerish.

The club offered him a contract extension with a sizeable wage increase in respect of his new found 'fame' and as a thank you for his service... but..

VVD was signed to a new contract, which stated that if he was not made captain he could leave for a paltry sum <25m. If he was made captain he promised to stay at SFC until at least 2018.

JF's nose was put out of joint. The pay rise/extension did not guarantee him captaincy status. He remained adamant that it should.  The club recognise that VVD is quite possibly a bigger asset to SFC than JF, being younger and far more valuable price-wise

So basically SFC is willing to sacrifice JF in order to retain VVD for two more seasons. As captain.

Also, FF is totally unathletic and it is only his size that makes him a goalkeeper. He has minimal fitness. ExplaIning perhaps why he can't currently kick a damned ball further than the halfway line.

The club is not happy with CP but vow to keep him until the end of this season. He has a very boorish demeanour which does not help training sessions

Most people think EB is a wanker. A chancer who only got the job because he could speak French. His training methods are far too 'old school' which is why certain players' fitness have not improved.

I am not a gossip-monger, nor do I play one on television
Opulence. I has it.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2017, 12:56:32 PM »

Forster-- I pretty much figured that.  I mean, look at the guy.  But he's still fairly effective as a keeper even if only due to size.

Black-- Also not surprising.  Never understood why they hired him in the first place.  Surely they could have found a translator.  Or I'm sure there are other coaches who are semi-bilingual. Pretty much everyone seemed to think he was an ass, and that was before he got caught in that press scandal.

Puel-- Also not that surprising.  When we hired him, all the French pundits and supporters said he was a "my way or the highway" guy who could rub people the wrong way.  Plus, he's French.  I think French people always come off as arrogant to people from other countries.  On the other hand, he actually made Hartem Ben Arfa give a shit.  Which is pretty impressive.  I think there was always the risk there.  And I'm not even sure if it's that big a concern that some people don't like him because that's who he is, and he has still succeeded at other places.  I think waiting until the end of the season to re-evaluate is fine.

VVD vs Fonte-- If this is true, I'm on Fonte's side.  He earned that captaincy for his years with the club.  But, it's not just the title.  I think his experience as one of the players who worked his way up from League One with the team matters.  Plus, he's always been a good captain.  I like how he directs players on the pitch, and he is good with the press.  Saints have always had a good defense, and we just finished in our highest league position ever.  So where is the problem?

It's lame to give someone the captaincy via a contract demand.  I understand the practical reality of the situation, but the club should have realized immediately that Fonte would be extremely pissed off about this.  The guy goes off to win the European Championship for his country and when he comes back he's been stripped of his captaincy on some bullshit.

But once the club did this, they should have moved Fonte right away.  And what I don't get is Fonte is still Captain.  So now you told VVD he could be captain but he isn't, and you told Fonte he wasn't captain but you are still expecting him to do all his Captain shit.  Quite clearly, that's not going to work.

But isn't Les Reed also reputed to be somewhat of an asshole?  I won't deny that he has skillz and has done a good job.  But maybe this is a Cortese-like situation where at some point with a guy like that the shit will hit the fan and you have to move on.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2017, 04:31:31 PM »

Fascinating. And drama filled! Good stuff - thanks. From a non-sentimental standpoint, I hope they keep VVD for two more years. From an emotional standpoint, I love Fonte and all he's done for/with the club.

I hope they work it out. The Puel stuff has been on the radar since day 2, so I'm not surprised.

Question: I really liked what I saw from Sims in the one game I saw him play (I've only seen about half the games). I didn't see the Norwich game, and I haven't seen him play in any other games. Is he still looking really good? Do we credit Puel for bringing him in?

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2017, 06:14:46 PM »

It seems pretty clear now that the relegation will be decided among these 6 clubs:

15 Middlesbrough   23 4 10 9 19 26 -7  21
16 Leicester City    23 5 12 6 24 38 -14 21
17 Swansea City    23 6 14 3 28 52 -24 21
18 Crystal Palace   23 5 14 4 32 41 -9   19
19 Hull City           23 4 14 5 20 47 -27 17
20 Sunderland       23 4 15 4 20 42 -22 16

I think that at this point one has to look at Leicester as a serious candidate for relegation. Only 2 points above the relegation zone. It blows the mind. Not that they are a relegation candidate, but that they won the title last year. It truly must've been a 1 in a billion shot.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2017, 12:47:29 PM »

Don't forget that they know how to go on a tear at the end of the year to stave off relegation!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2017, 10:53:24 PM »

I think that at this point one has to look at Leicester as a serious candidate for relegation. Only 2 points above the relegation zone. It blows the mind. Not that they are a relegation candidate, but that they won the title last year. It truly must've been a 1 in a billion shot.

They had virtually no injuries the entire season.  They got a ton of penalties their way.  They won a bunch of 1 goal games and lucky escapes.  I thought Manchester City could have won, but they wanted Guardiola.  So they kinda punted the season with a lame duck manager to get the guy they wanted.

Kante was really important for them, and I felt at the time that losing him could hurt them.  I also figured Vardy would slide since 1) he had a crazy career year out of nowhere, 2) he's not the most focused guy in the world, and 3) he's getting a little old.

But all that aside, they were still a really, really good team.  And they still should be top ten.  They just lost the fire or the mojo somehow.  All the positive energy they had has been replaced by negative energy.  There's no excuse for them to be this bad, really.

Sunderland sucking is the least surprising thing in football since the last time they sucked.  Which was last year, and the year before that, and the year before that...

I think it will be Swansea, Sunderland and Hull.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2017, 11:02:59 PM »

I think it will be Swansea, Sunderland and Hull.
I think you may be right on this. Although maybe Hull may surprise us after all. In which case, Crystal Palace.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2017, 12:05:13 AM »

Question:

would you prefer your team to win the championship against all odds one year, only to be relegated the very next year? Or would you prefer two consecutive seasons in the middle of the pack?

Thinking about it in my own terms (Lokeren in the Belgian Jupiler league), I'd go for the former. The glory of winning the championship against all odds will nourish relegation. It'd be a very bitter pill to swallow, obviously, since you have no idea when your team would be able to come back to the top tier league.

Thoughts?

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2017, 10:25:28 AM »

would you prefer your team to win the championship against all odds one year, only to be relegated the very next year? Or would you prefer two consecutive seasons in the middle of the pack?
Paging Leicester City Football Club
Opulence. I has it.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2017, 12:38:53 PM »

I choose the glory of the one time miracle season. I'm pretty sure every Bengals fan would choose to not be in the middle as well.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:02:08 PM by Dan »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up