Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: English Premier League 2016/17  (Read 7775 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: English Premier League 2016/17
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 09:23:50 AM »

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg is far and away the most exciting Saints Football Manager signing ever.

http://footballmanagerstory.com/scout/fm-2016-player-profile-pierre-emile-hojbjerg/

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 02:26:21 PM »

Jeez! What a find. I can't wait until 2021....assuming he's still on the Saints. Of course, that's the problem isn't it?

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 11:52:20 PM »

I like that Claude Puel tries to do his interviews himself in English.  But they're horrible.  I don't think he's very charismatic in any language so that doesn't help either.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 01:21:07 PM »

Not that it counts for anything or means anything, but it does make for fun reading. ESPN's panel of 17 football "experts" has posted their predictions for the upcoming season:

http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier-league/23/blog/post/2925680/espn-fcs-predicted-premier-league-table-and-writers-picks

Seems like City is a quasi-universal pick to win the title.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 09:19:56 AM »

Are these the same experts who predicted relegation for Leicester last season and/or a slip WAY down the table for Saints? No-one knows. Leicester proved that anything is possible and shitloads of oligarch money can just as easily mean fuck all.

But, season starts in less than 24 hours. Excited? You bet!
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2016, 05:01:42 PM »

Are these the same experts who predicted relegation for Leicester last season
yes they are.

That's why I said it's just fun to read but means absolutely nothing.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2016, 02:21:54 PM »

So it's sounding more and more like Jose Fonte had a heck of a summer and now wants nothing to do with SFC? Is that what you guys are hearing too?

I never really thought he'd leave....

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2016, 03:45:29 PM »

Read this, which explains what seems to be afoot with the Fonte thing. Would appear it is more about his agent's relationship with Jose Mourinho than anything else.

Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2016, 04:13:03 PM »

I would tell Man U they can have him for 9m.  I bet they won't even bid it.  Then seeing as how there are no serious bidders for Fonte, I see no reason why he should get a salary increase.

If Man U really wants him for 9m, they can have him.  Saints valued him quite highly because of his "intangibles" but it turns out he really doesn't care about being captain or whatever.  So now he's really just kind of a crap Ashley Williams on bigger wages.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2016, 05:59:33 PM »

Interesting stuff. Thanks MK.
And good point, ZK. I mean, I'm not sure what value a 32 year old defender has, and what he will bring to another "big" club. So it's weird if they bid a lot. And if they don't bid a lot...what's the point?

I wonder how Rickie Lambert feels about his decision to leave Saints at a similar point in his career. I wonder if Fonte has spoken to Rickie about such things.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2016, 07:16:01 PM »

I don't think Lambert left totally on his own, tbh.

I suspect that Saints knew he was getting a bit past it and had a bad back.  So when Liverpool came calling-- mostly for Lallana and Lovren-- I think we tried to hype them on Lambert a bit.  And I think we also may have sorta let slip that Lambert wasn't going to get an extension and that we were by no means pushing him out the door, but hey... if he had a great opportunity come up we wouldn't stand in his way.

So between us opening up a great door for him via Liverpool and us giving him an ever so gentle nudge towards it, I think he read the writing and it tilted the scales for leaving just enough.  But IMO, we could easily have kept Lambert had we wanted, and we wouldn't have even needed to give him an extension or raise.

And really, it should have worked out.  He was the type of player (theoretically) that Rodgers liked as Swansea's style was similar to ours.  He'd be playing for his childhood club.  He'd have Lallana to hang out with.  He'd get a bunch of sub appearances and probably start the Cup matches so he would be more a rotation guy than back up.  And by playing less, he'd stay fresh.

It just turned out unfortunately that Rodgers had no idea what he was doing and he got caught up in Liverpool suckage just like Lallana and Lovren. 

As for Fonte, he's fading a bit and that rate will increase.  But he's still a solid, reliable defender and a good guy to have around for a year or two while you search for a replacement.  It's just that for us, he had a greater value in that he was captain and icon, etc.  If he doesn't have that aura anymore, than he's still a good player that we would optimally keep.  But being a small market club, you really can't afford to hang on to big wage, fading veterans whereas for a larger club his transfer fee and wage demands are a pittance. 

Similar to why the Pirates may have to move McCutchen despite how much they like him as a player and as a person for all the things he has done for them.  Or Bruce, Votto, and Phillips on the Reds.  Optimally they would have moved them all last year or even the season before, but they liked those guys and ended up hanging on too long.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2016, 06:28:47 PM »

Hojbjerg and VVD= Awesome
Rest of team= Pants

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2016, 12:53:17 AM »

Hojbjerg and VVD= Awesome
Rest of team= Pants
So, you didn't think Matty Targett's contribution was worthwhile?
No, me either.

Midfield, we were woeful. Way too many final balls that were terrible, way too many crosses that were wasted, often sending the ball out of play. Cedric was knocking them over during the Euro's, at Old Triffid he could hardly kick the damned thing 3 feet without gifting it to a ManUre player.

Oh, and word inside the club has always been that Lambert only went to Liverpool as a 'make up' in Lallana's purchase because of the sell-on fee for Adam.
Opulence. I has it.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2016, 09:39:47 PM »

I thought the midfield was better than against Watford.  I mean yeah, they were terrible in the final third but at least they were able to get it to the final third.  Against Watford they were giving it away at midfield.

Targett was not very good, no.  But he wasn't terrible, either.  I would be willing to chalk it up to inexperience and that's okay because he needs to learn.  Except that I think the problem with Targett is he isn't fast enough.  And you can't learn fast.  So I'm beginning to think he isn't going to cut it.  Maybe they could try him as a CB or defensive mid?

Cedric does have the tools, but he's been mediocre for so long now I'm beginning to lose some faith in him as well.

Need to bring in an impact attacking player before the window closes.  Otherwise, they look like a team that is pretty good (not great) at defending, and pretty good (not great) at possession, but can't score.  That's a recipe for 13th place.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2016, 12:43:42 AM »

Watched the second half of the Arsenal-Southampton match, wow, that was a tough loss for Southampton. That penalty in the 92rd minute was debatable, to say the least.

Kevin De Bruyne continues his brilliance in the Manchester derby, that guy is gold... And still only 25..

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up