Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: English Premier League 2016/17  (Read 7786 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: English Premier League 2016/17
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2016, 02:26:52 PM »

It's tough to win a game when it's 11 on 11+the referee.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2016, 05:50:18 PM »

It's tough to win a game when it's 11 on 11+the referee.
Actually 11 on 11 + the referee + the linesman
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2016, 06:26:16 PM »

In today's Champions League, Belgium's Club Bruges loses 0-3 at home against Leicester and without putting up much of a fight. From what I picked up in the Flemish pre-game press, there actually were expectations here and there that Bruges would be able to "handle" Leicester, and, hey, maybe even eek out a win if it really goes well, because, you know, it's 'just' Leicester. Seriously? How can you be so delusional? The difference between Belgian club football and English club football is like the difference between AA baseball and major league baseball, I'm not exaggerating. Ok, maybe I am just a little. But the difference is HUGE, and to think that Bruges would give Leicester a run for their money is preposterous.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2016, 10:36:38 PM »

As it happens, Fox Sports had the game on tonight in relay, and I watched while reading a book. It was even worse than I had expected. Club had exactly 1 real goal opportunity, which came in the 3rd minute of the game, after a brilliant pass from Van Haken (ex-Lokeren, I might add), sending a Club striker alone in front of the Leicester goalie, but alas he missed. After that, it was just terrible. Embarrassing, really. Leicester played a brilliant match, and the score could've been even worse. Wow.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2016, 09:20:26 PM »

Saints won 3-0 against Sparta Prague today too, which after the Arse debacle was quite uplifting.
Charlie Austin + JRod = MK girlboner.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2016, 10:40:49 PM »

Saints won 3-0 against Sparta Prague today too, which after the Arse debacle was quite uplifting.
Are you guys planning on going to see any of the matches in person?

I did 2 years ago when Lokeren played the Europa League (away at Hull City in the last elimination game before group play, and at Lokeren against Warsaw Legia). Some of my best football memories in my life. Lokeren may not reach European play in my lifetime again. So glad that I was there for a couple of games.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2016, 11:03:22 AM »

Are you guys planning on going to see any of the matches in person?

I did 2 years ago when Lokeren played the Europa League (away at Hull City in the last elimination game before group play, and at Lokeren against Warsaw Legia). Some of my best football memories in my life. Lokeren may not reach European play in my lifetime again. So glad that I was there for a couple of games.

Never say never, but probably not since we were just over there in July. I'd LOVE to go back to Prague again but we won't be able to see Saints play them in the away match because I don't have enough days off left this year (plus it is at Thanksgiving and my mother would never forgive us for missing it).

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2016, 11:13:15 AM »

BTW, the league reviewed the Arse v Saints match and have benched that ref from Premier League action this weekend.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2016, 04:34:51 PM »

Benching the ref is nice, but does that get us our point back?

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2016, 12:22:11 AM »

Never say never, but probably not since we were just over there in July. I'd LOVE to go back to Prague again but we won't be able to see Saints play them in the away match because I don't have enough days off left this year (plus it is at Thanksgiving and my mother would never forgive us for missing it).
Your mother is more important than seeing the Saints in Europa League in Prague? (j/k)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2016, 03:13:04 PM »

You could bring your mother to Prague. Problem solved.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2016, 05:12:51 PM »

You could bring your mother to Prague. Problem solved.
Ha! I can't even get her to visit us in Cincinnati, and that is only an hour's drive.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2016, 11:08:40 PM »

Thought the Saints played well today.  Should have won by two or three, but oh well.  They pretty much dominated.

I thought Redmond was excellent.  People are talking about the miss, but other than that he was excellent.  Plus it wasn't really THAT bad.  You could see what happened.  He took a brilliant first touch to cut inside, having busted ass to get to that spot.  Then he saw the GK diving and tried to chip it top corner, but just a bit too much adrenaline so he shot high.

Should he have had it? Yeah.  But it is also the kind of miss that happens to everyone.  I was more dissapointed with Long getting the ball in tons of space, taking a leisurely touch, then weakly shooting it.  He could have blasted that, or faked the GK or even gone for a dribble.

Austin has to play, though.  If he stays healthy he scores 20 goals.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2016, 01:22:05 PM »

I don't know about Redmond. It wasn't just THAT miss...it seems like he thinks the goal is 15 to 20 feet up in the air, as if he's playing a version of Quidditch. It's in fundamentals that they teach you to make sure you lean over the ball instead of back when kicking it but Redmond seems forget that when he's in the game.

I'm not exactly a coach, though, so I reserve the right to change my mind. I agreed with others that I was reading that suggested Long should have stayed on and Redmond should have come off when Austin was brought in.

I loved how much attacking we were doing and how, even though we kept missing, we were constantly in front of the goal and threatening. Then, after we finally scored, that drive and attack disappeared and this bothered me greatly.

Oh well. Onward and upward.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2016, 03:47:53 PM »

Long is the worst finisher ever.  He blows chances like Redmond's or even easier every single game. In fact, I thought he had two misses against Sunderland worse than Redmond's. 

He took a ball with tons of time and space.  Trapped it.  Thought about it.  Kicked it meekly straight at the keeper.

He also should have scored when he got the yellow card, but his first touch was terrible and left him no chance which is why he dove.

Long's shit finishing has probably cost the team 3-4 goals and at least six points just this season.

But because he is white, people just talk about his gritty play.  How he works hard, and draws defenders and plays defense, blahblahblah.  But against Swansea, Redmond was at least as active as Long.

Shane Long and Stephen Davis are the David Eckstein of the Premier League.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up