Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: English Premier League 2016/17  (Read 9449 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: English Premier League 2016/17
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2016, 10:34:38 AM »

I LOVE the appointment of Bob Bradley for Swansea. I know this is the bias of an American, but it's great to see that he finally got his chance. I know he'd been wanting something like this for a long time and some have suggested the anti-American bias was preventing him from getting an appointment. So congratulations to him!

I also think he's a really good coach (look at what he did with Stabaek!) and I think/hope that he helps Swansea out.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2016, 03:48:18 PM »

Thoughts on this weekend's 1-1 draw with Manchester City? I know you watched it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2016, 04:02:25 PM »

Nice result for Southampton. (I didn't see the match.)

Far more telling for me was Chelsea's complete trashing of ManU. I saw most of that match and it wasn't even that close. I was astounded how poorly ManU played. To think they spent close to 200 mill (can't recall if it was dollars or euros) on incoming players this summer. I honestly can't see them even making the top 4 this season.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2016, 09:01:05 PM »

Chelsea players gave Mourinho the kind of performance he wanted from them to 10 months ago. :)
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2016, 10:38:02 PM »

Nice result for Southampton. (I didn't see the match.)

Far more telling for me was Chelsea's complete trashing of ManU. I saw most of that match and it wasn't even that close. I was astounded how poorly ManU played. To think they spent close to 200 mill (can't recall if it was dollars or euros) on incoming players this summer. I honestly can't see them even making the top 4 this season.

I was not surprised.  I thought that hiring Mourinho was not a good move.  I think people are aware of his style of play now.  I think mentally too, he has lost his edge and has gone off the deep end.Also, he is very picky about players so you know when you hire him he is going to replace everyone, even if the guy he gets is not better than the guy you have. 

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2016, 10:51:14 PM »

Thoughts on this weekend's 1-1 draw with Manchester City? I know you watched it.

I thought they played very well.  Although it's frustrating to still have to have a "small club" mentality and be happy to nick a point against Man City when by now Saints should be their equals. 

I have been very impressed with McQueen so far.  In fact, I think he looks better than Matt Targett.  Maybe not up to Bertrand level yet, but it seems like he could easily get there.  We will have to see though.  Hard to judge after two games.

The sad thing is, I think this is it for Saints.  It is so hard to play Euro and PL at the same time.  Getting out of Euro group stages and finishing 8th would be an amazing result this year.  Except it means next year no Europe.  And everyone will know (I think they do already) how good VVD is. VVD, Romeu, Forster (and by the end of the year, possibly Hojbjerg) could all easily leave for bigger clubs if they want to.  Leaving Saints in the lurch once again.  It will be hard to re-group yet again.  And in the past we've at least been able to keep a solid core of vets.  But Davis, Long, Fonte are getting older each year.

The managers, coaches, and scouts all leave too.  And each of them take some of the things that Saints do and implement them at their new clubs so there is less and less advantage to having the "Black Box" and the like.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2016, 09:17:36 AM »

Agreed to all of that. I know that Saints should be happy with an away point at the league leaders, but I wanted them to win that. I am still astounded that the City goal actually went in - I saw it happening and was like "VVD is there" and he was there. I guess he was caught napping for a split second which gave Inheacho enough edge to poke it past him, but I keep thinking "if only VVD was an inch or two farther..." then we win that game. Blargh. I really thought we had a chance.

Regarding the best players leaving: I resigned myself to this club being a feeder club sometime in the past year. I spent 2009-2014 believing that they could make a dent in the top echelons, but I realize now that won't happen. So that means sell off the best players, but I think they plan to keep all of those "best players" an extra year or an extra transfer window so they can keep getting decent results, too.

Like Hojbjerg or Boufal: I'm all like, "hey I hope this guy turns into the next Robben or the next Mahrez" but then I know if they do that they'll leave. So what's the point? To watch them help our team for a year or two? I guess. And I guess we just enjoy the ride.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2016, 10:36:10 AM »

No CR mention of this story!?!?!?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-37716100

<edit>Sorry Land, I modified your post instead of quoting it. Tough day today</edit>

CR says:-

Shame it didn't happen the other way round really.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out we actually KEEP the likes of VVD etc at the end of this season. Word from onside the club is that there are few players whose recent contract decisions are PRETTY fucking good financially.

What continues to amuse me is this "SFC are a selling club" repetition. No-one questioned Leicester when they sold Kante, no-one questioned ManU when they sold Ronaldo, No-one questioned Spurs when they sold Bale. Player sales happen. It's about money. Southampton merely understand the business aspect of football better than most fans do.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 10:45:21 AM by Cockney Rebel »
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2016, 12:11:59 PM »

One of my favorite things ever from the internet is a Twitter parody account a few years ago that had an "Ask 'Arry" thing going. The tweet went like this:

'Arry, if you had the choice between winning the Premier League or getting another Lamborghini, what color would it be?"

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2016, 12:17:50 PM »

One of my favorite things ever from the internet is a Twitter parody account a few years ago that had an "Ask 'Arry" thing going. The tweet went like this:

'Arry, if you had the choice between winning the Premier League or getting another Lamborghini, what color would it be?"
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2016, 06:33:07 PM »

Was reading an article on ESPN about the upcoming--I guess starting next year--changes to the Champions League (the top 4 countries--England, Spain, Germany, Italy--will be guaranteed 4 spots each, meaning 16 of the 32 Champion League spots).

And then I came upon this particular sentence:

Burnley will likely earn twice as much in broadcast revenue as the entire Belgian league combined simply by virtue of the fact that they are in England and play in the Premier League -- give certain clubs enormous advantages.

It absolutely blows the mind.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2017, 02:08:00 PM »

Hey, Claude, Ralph, Les, and Katarina.

I can help you out here.  You see, I know what it's like to have Jose Fonte hand in a transfer request.  Because Jose Fonte handed me a transfer request back in 2017 as well.  Just a few weeks from now.

It turned out more than decent.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say Jose Fonte turned in the greatest season I have ever managed.  And I've managed a lot of teams for a lot of years.

The thing is Fonte doesn't really HATE it here.  He just kinda wants to be somewhere else.  But it turns out that "somewhere else" ain't happening.  At his salary/age he is not a fit for any team in Portugal.  Nor in England.  He would not get a game at Man U, etc.  and smaller clubs than us won't pay his wage.

Jose knows this.  So as long as you don't screw him over and make a decent effort to move him, he'll be okay.  He's a professional.

So, what we did was I went down to the public library down in New Forest when they have that annual junk sale.  I bought one of those study carrels.  Set up in one of the unused data analyst offices (because really, why did we have 5 data analysts?).

We let that be Jose's office.  He'd come in, train for a bit, then head to his office and just study for his coaching qualifications.

Thing is, despite his fading skills and enthusiasm Jose is still a professional.  And he still likes the club.  He just doesn't LOVE the club.  He still loves big games though.  And he is still hugely influential.  So, I kept him as captain.

Maybe once a week I'd visit him in his digs and be like "Cedric is whining about playing time" or "Redmond wants a new contract."  Jose would close his book with a satisfying *WHAP* and be like "Yeah, no problem.  I'll straighten them out."  Five minutes later, Cedric would be at my door "Sorry for the fuss. Jose explained it to me. I'm cool with my playing time."

Then maybe twice a month, I'd be like "Hey, Jose.  Big match against PSG.  There's no way we can win it.  Plus, the boys are down after that draw to Norwich earlier this week."  "'No way, Jose?' Big matches is what I do."  90 minutes or so later, we're in the locker room celebrating a vital group win.  Fonte would just go, fire everyone up then put an 8.2 performance.

There is absolutely no way we would have won the PL title without him.  No chance.  Not only that, but the day he leaves this club (which will be in two weeks, it's 2018 where I'm at) I will have to double or triple the wages of at least 4 players, and another 2 are out the door. 

When VVD fucked off in the winter (and thanks for going over my head and signing him to that ridiculously overpriced wage with tiny transfer release clause, Les) not only did Fonte step up for three games and carry us to massive wins over Arse and Man City, he also talked PSG into selling me Presnel Kimpembe for half price to replace him.  Then he went back to his office until I needed him again to play Bayern in the first round knockout.

So yeah, don't worry.  This all works out.  Fonte's massively influence combined with just the exact right amount of lukewarm affection for the club is the best thing that will ever happen to this organization.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2017, 03:22:27 PM »

I love it.
I so wish that this was true.

To be honest, I think we all knew that he wanted to go somewhere else. So the request isn't a surprise. I am just worried that both Fonte and VVD will be gone this winter, and then all those boring 0-0 game or 1-1 games will suddenly be Saints 1, Opponents 4.

We can't score, but we seem decent at defense. Without the defense, we're a relegation team.

Personally I think we can get 16 more points between now and the end of the season, which should be good enough for 17th.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2017, 04:03:05 PM »

I would have sold Fonte this summer when he wanted to leave, but not sure if an offer was made.

I honestly don't have a problem with Fonte handing in a transfer request.  I think it is the honorable thing to do, instead of boycotting games or engineering a move behind the scenes.  At least you are willing to give up your loyalty bonus.  In and of itself, I view it as strictly a procedural move.

"I would like to leave this club, and I am willing to give up money to do it.  Here is my formal agreement to do so." The club is under no obligation to move you, you're just requesting a move.  As long as you go out and play hard and everything, I have no problem with it.  If you complain and/or refuse to play, that's a problem.  But you would do that with or without a transfer request.

I also think Fonte would have had to be replaced next year anyway.  So this really does sort of help the club.  There's no awkward phase of having to sit your captain, or looking like jerks for trying to push him out, etc. 

I think Fonte is professional enough not to throw a hissy and will be okay with waiting until summer for a transfer as long as the club doesn't screw him over.  And I think the club is perfectly happy to accept bids for him in the summer since they should be trying to sell him anyway. 

But in the end, the club is still in trouble.  I still don't understand why they handed out so many extensions to aging, good-not-great players this summer while not addressing the need for a striker which EVERYONE knew was an area of need.

I don't think the team will be relegated on talent. They are nowhere near as bad as the bottom three, even if Yoshida replaces Fonte (who tbh, isn't that great anymore anyway).  Problem is, I get the feeling the board knows the team won't be relegated on talent and thus, won't do anything. 

So if they do get relegated, it will be because the team feels (perhaps justifiably) that the board doesn't give a fuck and stops trying.  The club should be doing more to show they care.  I don't mean they have to sack Puel or buy a 50m striker.  But they need to do something, even if it's only press spin.  I'd at least like some reassurances like "Sorry about all this.  We've got big plans in the work and a new awesome, moneybags owner coming in so just bear with us for a bit."

Because to me, they look more and more like they are just waiting to be bought buy whoever wants to buy them and do not care about the product on the pitch or the longterm future of the club.  They just want out.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2017, 04:38:07 PM »

Curious - why do you think they want out?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up