Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How long has the homepage been giving errors?  (Read 4558 times)

MattD

• Administrator
  • Summer Resident
How long has the homepage been giving errors?
« on: June 02, 2016, 08:27:10 PM »

Hey folks, site owner here.  How long as the main site homepage had all of these error messages at the top? 

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
Re: How long has the homepage been giving errors?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 09:00:34 PM »

May 17 is when we first noticed it. Some people have the issues and others didn't, and then it seemed to fix itself.
also known as rcc94

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 09:11:36 PM »

I'm still having issues on my iPhone.  On my laptap, I type www.randomville.com/Daily/ and that gets me to the messageboard.  Otherwise, I'd have problems with my laptop as well.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 10:57:33 PM »

I go straight to the message boards and hadn't seen it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 11:04:19 PM »

I go straight to the message boards and hadn't seen it.
x2
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 06:38:17 AM »

I'm still seeing the errors. I found an older link that takes me straight to the forums.
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 08:35:05 AM »

FTR, I got the error message-filled homepage this morning.
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 08:38:35 AM »

I got it last night, around 10PMish.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

adyonka

• Administrator
  • Tourist
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 03:24:30 PM »

At this time, I recommend going directly to the message boards and skipping the front page entirely. http://www.randomville.com/Daily/

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 10:40:14 PM »

So what's our backup plan, ya know, in case this thing disappears on us some day?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 12:16:01 AM »

So what's our backup plan, ya know, in case this thing disappears on us some day?
great question... anyone?? I am not on facebook
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 03:11:49 PM »

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but I assume there isn't one.

If we're throwing out ideas, I would gladly help fund a site but I don't know the first thing about running one.

I mean, we're all a little older now and make a little more money, so throwing cash at a website is much more feasible now than it used to be. But how much does it cost to run a site?

adyonka

• Administrator
  • Tourist
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 07:08:38 PM »

If we're throwing out ideas, I would gladly help fund a site but I don't know the first thing about running one.

I mean, we're all a little older now and make a little more money, so throwing cash at a website is much more feasible now than it used to be. But how much does it cost to run a site?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no backup plan. I think I'm the only person doing regular admin tasks on the message boards, and I don't have full access to the entire site. As for cost, well, it depends. If we want basic message boards and allow ads, there are services out there that are (nearly?) free. If we want to host our own space with a domain, it costs a little for a domain name but nothing too awful. Would we want to continue having a commercial enterprise as we technically are today? What about the current content (boards and blog), if we're able to acquire it? Who is going to build/migrate/admin the new site?

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2016, 12:01:00 PM »

To the best of my knowledge, there is no backup plan. I think I'm the only person doing regular admin tasks on the message boards, and I don't have full access to the entire site. As for cost, well, it depends. If we want basic message boards and allow ads, there are services out there that are (nearly?) free. If we want to host our own space with a domain, it costs a little for a domain name but nothing too awful. Would we want to continue having a commercial enterprise as we technically are today? What about the current content (boards and blog), if we're able to acquire it? Who is going to build/migrate/admin the new site?

Since there is no backup plan, it behooves us to discuss adyonka's points and come up with something.  I am not nearly computer savvy enough to administer a new site.  But I'm willing to pitch in $ for whatever's decided upon.  Active users, what route should we take?
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2016, 01:12:44 PM »

Seems to me like the answers (for me) are:
Basic Message Board is fine.
If you want to try to acquire the current content, that wouldn't be bad. I mean, saving old board data would be good, right?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up