Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How long has the homepage been giving errors?  (Read 4561 times)

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
Re: How long has the homepage been giving errors?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 08:24:23 AM »

Seems to me like the answers (for me) are:
Basic Message Board is fine.
If you want to try to acquire the current content, that wouldn't be bad. I mean, saving old board data would be good, right?

+1.  Anyone else have any thoughts?
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 10:14:00 AM »

If we could migrate the boards to a new site, that would be ideal.

If not, starting fresh on a new site would be next best.

Third best would be: everything good must come to an end.  I don't know how many posts we've had in the last month, but it's probably less than 200?  At that point, is it even worth it?  From a purely cost-benefit standpoint, probably not.  From a community standpoint... well, sad as it is there really isn't much of one here anymore is there?  I mean, half the people that are on here aren't even local to Cincinnati anymore.  We have Atlanta (twice), New York, Richmond, and other places represented.  The people that want to stay in touch in-person do.  If it makes me sign up for god damn Facebook, then I guess I will.

I would hate to lose the random daytime drinking and ZK posts though, that alone is worth it.

I would migrate it if I knew anything about what that entailed.  Sadly, I know very little about that crap.  I also don't know the site's owners at all, and if they'd be willing to sell it back to one of us or a group.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering but last time the owner or a rep showed up, he basically said "don't come to me with your fucking whining about anything, and we'll get along just fine."  So who knows if they're even open to anything.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016, 11:25:01 AM »

We don't generate new users, which is sad, but we all accepted that about 10 years ago. Even if the posts are less than 200 per month, I'd still like to say hi to you cool cats from time to time.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2016, 11:33:46 AM »

I haven't experienced any problems.

I'd like to see things remain as they are (but of course would love to see new users too).

Not a big proponent of moving to another site (moving from the WOXY boards was pretty traumatic as it was).
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2016, 12:03:58 PM »

Maybe I'm mis-remembering but last time the owner or a rep showed up, he basically said "don't come to me with your fucking whining about anything, and we'll get along just fine."  So who knows if they're even open to anything.

Actually, it was more along the lines of, "this site doesn't make any money, so I can't put any into it.  If you want to pay me to take care of it, I will, if you don't you're on your own."  Which is the state we're in now... on our own.

As to the message board content, I don't think we'd have to buy it, I would assume an admin could pull it out of the database.  I don't know that he'd sell the site, but if it isn't generating income, maybe he would.  Should we ask?

Like others have said, I'm okay with ponying up some cash to keep it running.  A Facebook group isn't a horrible alternative, it works well for the folks that participate in the WOXY group.  OTOH, I hate to lose the content, hell, I proposed to Juliana here (I have screen shots of that, just in case).  Are there other ways of preserving the content?  Like a blog or something?  I guess someone would have to curate that, which would be a pain.  I'd be sad if I couldn't go back and read about The Champ, if I wanted.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2016, 12:04:30 PM »

Yeah I guess I'm assuming at this point that the guy who runs this has basically given this up for dead and will be shutting it down essentially without warning at some point.  Who knows, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.  But if you let the main site go this long being so buggy, you probably aren't giving it much attention to being with.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2016, 12:14:31 PM »

Yeah I guess I'm assuming at this point that the guy who runs this has basically given this up for dead and will be shutting it down essentially without warning at some point.

Oh, don't get me wrong, this is also very much my assumption.  I pretty much assume it's over every time we have one of those outages that have happened now and again.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 01:23:30 PM »

I'd also like the content to be kept. The nostalgia of everything on here is too big to just let go.

Like others I'm willing to donate $$$ to keep it up and running if there is a way
Opulence. I has it.

adyonka

• Administrator
  • Tourist
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 01:56:28 PM »

Ella Minnow Pea is our designated contact with the current owners. I would propose that, if the group wants to go down this road, that Ella approach the owners to find out what options they believe are on the table.

If we do have a new site, that means someone is/are the new owner(s) as well. That needs to be discussed.

As far as an admin, I'm willing to develop and admin a new non-commercial message board. I've never migrated a site before, but I'm willing to give the effort. I'm pretty much doing the board maintenance now anyway and I figured it out without too much drama.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2016, 01:59:01 PM »

Actually, it was more along the lines of, "this site doesn't make any money, so I can't put any into it.  If you want to pay me to take care of it, I will, if you don't you're on your own."  Which is the state we're in now... on our own.

So you're saying I read it much snarkier than it was intended.  That's truly a shock.  I usually give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Except hobos.  Fuck them.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2016, 04:49:26 PM »

Ella Minnow Pea is our designated contact with the current owners. I would propose that, if the group wants to go down this road, that Ella approach the owners to find out what options they believe are on the table.

Sounds like a plan.  It's best to figure out a way forward before the whole thing disappears one day.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2016, 09:14:41 PM »

Haven't seen Ella around here lately, I don't think.  I'll drop her a note on Facebook.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2016, 12:34:18 AM »

I'm still here - just in lurker mode (like my first few years on the woxy boards). The past few times we've had issues with the boards, I have offered that we would be glad to contribute to pay for hosting, but Matt has said it wasn't necessary. We are hosted on a server with other sites, so adyonka and I don't have administrative access to the server in order to download the content. I agree that I want to keep the content we've generated. My top priority is the message boards and then the articles. There's a download feature in the message board admin tools, but it only seems to be the settings and not the actual messages.

I can send an e-mail to Matt to let him know that we still want to keep going, and would like to get periodic downloads of the message board database.

I definitely want to keep this around so I can stay in touch with all of the non-Facebook users!
also known as rcc94

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2016, 09:08:39 AM »

Thanks Ella!
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2016, 10:39:38 AM »

Like others I'm willing to donate $$$ to keep it up and running if there is a way
Same here.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up