Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rewatchable Movies  (Read 2031 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Rewatchable Movies
« on: August 29, 2016, 03:48:34 PM »

Inspired by this conversation:

Bridge of Spies: Excellent film. Just all around really good and really well done. I probably won't watch it again (very low rewatchability factor) but wow what a movie. Recommended.
Interesting comment and something I too have thought about more and more lately. Just HOW many modern movies DO we watch over & over, again (and again and again etc)? I have watched loads of old movies - mainly 70's/80's classics - countless times but there is only the (very) smallest handful from the last decade or so I have wanted to do the same with. "Huntsmen: Secret Service", "World's End", "The Bank Job", "Trainwreck" & "The Grand Budapest Hotel" all spring to mind most recently, but there aren't THAT many more. Not really. Not in comparison to films I rewatched dozens of times in my younger years... "Taxi Driver", "Superman", "Warriors", "Clockwork Orange", "If", "Party Party", "Quadrophenia" etc etc etc etc. Is it a 'formative years' thing, am I just getting old or have movies become less 'good' than they used to be?

I'd like to think about this!

Without hesitation, Trainwreck would be on my list too, having just rewatched it and enjoyed it equally as much the 2nd time around. Kingsman: The Secret Service is a great selection (I think that's what he meant). What We Do in the Shadows is certainly on there, too, even though I haven't gotten to the 2nd viewing yet.

In more recent years, I've rewatched films like
Scott Pilgrim Vs The World
Hot Fuzz
Super Troopers

So those are all comedies. Maybe comedy is more rewatchable?
We also tend to rewatch the Fast & Furious movies whenever they are on TV (they seem to be ALWAYS on, though).
Light-hearted action films are rewatchable too? I don't know.

What do you all think? What movies do you love rewatching that are somewhat recent?

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Re: Rewatchable Movies
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 04:12:09 PM »

I can barely be arsed to watch films (new or old) from start to finish so I am probably not the best person to enter this conversation, but I think CR hit upon it a little by saying the films he enjoys most are those from his younger/formative years.

When people ask me about my favorite films, nearly all of them are films I saw as either a high school or college student. Maybe part of that is because I had the time and inclination to watch films at that point in my life. Maybe it was because I was getting stoned a lot and couldn't be bothered to leave the cinema or change the channel.

I find as I've gotten older I have less patience for most of today's movies (and I'll add TV shows to that list as well). If they don't grab me within the first 20-30 minutes, I'm done. CR will soldier through the real shit (IMHO) but life is too short for me to sit through another inane or dull movie.

And once I've seen a film all the way through, it has to be damned good for me to want to see it again.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 06:11:11 PM »

Almost none will I rewatch.

Comedies are clear tops of the list, then genre movies like sci-fi or horror.  Then Christmas films.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 06:16:25 PM »

I usually won't rewatch movies, even ones I think are really good.  However, I have watched the horrible Plan 9 From Outer Space numerous times.  Every time I pick up new things to laugh at:   new mistakes, continuity errors...the list goes on and on.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 09:45:30 AM »

Inspired by this conversation:

Bridge of Spies: Excellent film. Just all around really good and really well done. I probably won't watch it again (very low rewatchability factor) but wow what a movie. Recommended.
Interesting comment and something I too have thought about more and more lately. Just HOW many modern movies DO we watch over & over, again (and again and again etc)? I have watched loads of old movies - mainly 70's/80's classics - countless times but there is only the (very) smallest handful from the last decade or so I have wanted to do the same with. "Huntsmen: Secret Service", "World's End", "The Bank Job", "Trainwreck" & "The Grand Budapest Hotel" all spring to mind most recently, but there aren't THAT many more. Not really. Not in comparison to films I rewatched dozens of times in my younger years... "Taxi Driver", "Superman", "Warriors", "Clockwork Orange", "If", "Party Party", "Quadrophenia" etc etc etc etc. Is it a 'formative years' thing, am I just getting old or have movies become less 'good' than they used to be?

I'd like to think about this!

Without hesitation, Trainwreck would be on my list too, having just rewatched it and enjoyed it equally as much the 2nd time around. Kingsman: The Secret Service is a great selection (I think that's what he meant). What We Do in the Shadows is certainly on there, too, even though I haven't gotten to the 2nd viewing yet.

In more recent years, I've rewatched films like
Scott Pilgrim Vs The World
Hot Fuzz
Super Troopers

So those are all comedies. Maybe comedy is more rewatchable?
We also tend to rewatch the Fast & Furious movies whenever they are on TV (they seem to be ALWAYS on, though).
Light-hearted action films are rewatchable too? I don't know.

What do you all think? What movies do you love rewatching that are somewhat recent?

*ahem*

FANBOYS

*ahem*
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 09:47:53 AM »

So, are we only talking about re-watching as in deliberately putting a DVD in or specifically picking something off of a streaming service to watch again? Are we including those times when you're flipping through channels and you see that A FEW GOOD MEN is on (again) and you've got some time to kill and this is one of your favorite movies to just come across and watch from whatever point you found it to be on TV? I'm mostly asking as I think from The Greg's perspective, as this about the only way he watches movies these days.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 09:48:23 AM »

I don't rewatch movies as much as I used to. Time was I would totally immerse myself in certain stories. Escapism, with Hollywood as the vehicle. These days I prefer checking out movies I haven't seen before, but there's still a place for revisiting old friends. Every year the wife and I watch A Christmas Story, enjoying every minute, and still laughing hysterically when Ralphie comes down the stairs wearing the bunny suit. I'll break out The Dark Knight now and again -- despite the film's many flaws -- because I'm totally enthralled with Heath Ledger's Joker. (As an aside, while Marvel has been making better superhero movies than DC, and I've seen them all, I have no desire to rewatch any of them. The first two Nolan Batman movies, however, draw me back time and again.)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 09:55:55 AM »

So, are we only talking about re-watching as in deliberately putting a DVD in or specifically picking something off of a streaming service to watch again? Are we including those times when you're flipping through channels and you see that A FEW GOOD MEN is on (again) and you've got some time to kill and this is one of your favorite movies to just come across and watch from whatever point you found it to be on TV? I'm mostly asking as I think from The Greg's perspective, as this about the only way he watches movies these days.

My wife pointed this out to me. I think it's however you want to interpret it, but for me personally if you're flipping through the channels and you see a movie that you stop on, that says a lot about the movie, right? So I guess that counts. Same as flipping through the netflix catalog or the HBO Go catalog...if you see something that you've already watched and want to view again, that's that.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 11:45:07 AM »

It can be interpreted anyway people want to interpret it really.

My (ludicrously) exhaustive film watching list for this year does include some rewatched titles, but they're almost all much older titles (Godfather, Happy Go Lucky, Silver Dream Racer (for fuck's sake). Very little recent.

Yes, I often queue old titles in my Netflix/Am Prime accounts and I do watch them but more often than not they provide background vision/noise to something else I am doing online. Occasionally I will choose to sit down and properly watch an old film again. (When I buy or get BluRays from the library I always watch them intently with no distractions)

My remark was really about recent films being rewatchable. I went to see "The Warriors" 5 or 6 times in two weeks when it was first released at the cinema, likewise "Quadrophenia", "Saturday Night Fever" and "Live & Let Die". Probably others. I know those - and many more - movies inside out.

The Star Wars movie was one where I noted that many people went to see it again and again. I wonder if that was something of an exception? I saw the original movie several times over, but the new one gave me no personal incentive to see it again.

I wonder if this is a "the older you get" response or something else. I'm not wholly implying that movies today are not as good as movies from my 'yout' but maybe I feel a bit of that too?

Rambling, sorry

(And yes, I did mean "Kingsman: The Secret Service" - a massive brainfart on my part that error)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 11:48:27 AM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 02:15:20 PM »

I almost never purposely re-watch a movie.

The movies I re-watch are the ones on TV.  And they are almost always new because 1) they mostly only put newer moves on TV 2) I'm usually drawn to something action-y like superhero genre because they require no effort.  I just read or surf the web and then every so often watch the battle sequences.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 09:27:27 PM »

I rewatch The Bourne Identity at least once a year. My friends tend to put movies in the dvd player and watch them over and over, so Anchorman, Talladega Nights, Avengers (Original flavor), and Captain America Winter Soldier are frequent watches. Hot Fuzz is also on the list.

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 10:07:31 PM »

The Prestige.  In fact, it's a movie that requires you to watch multiple times.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 08:45:15 AM »

only if i'm at my mother's or father's and only if it's early enough not to be drinking.  usually it's major league that's on
poach eggs, not elephants

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 10:52:55 AM »

The Prestige.  In fact, it's a movie that requires you to watch multiple times.

Ooooh, really? I had guessed the opposite, since you know the twist by the 2nd viewing? I watched this on a plane a long time ago, so I think a 2nd viewing might be appropriate now.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 11:02:53 AM »

There's a twist in THE PRESTIGE?

FUCKING SPOILERS, thanks guys.  Jesus.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up