Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coming to Memorial Hall (Cincinnati)  (Read 931 times)

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
Coming to Memorial Hall (Cincinnati)
« on: November 27, 2016, 10:13:08 PM »

The official ribbon cutting stuff is this coming Friday, December 2, but I believe the soft re-opening has already happened, with a Christmas Lego display, movies and such.  As for music, Richard Thompson will be there April 7.  I'm not a big Roseanne Cash fan but it might make a good Valentine's Day date on February 11 for Mrs. Drjohnrock and me.  There are a couple more concerts booked that didn't stir my interest.

I've never been inside Memorial Hall and am looking forward to seeing a show there, though I suspect the tickets will likely be as pricy as they are for the Taft Theatre (the upstairs theatre, that is, not the ballroom).

I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Coming to Memorial Hall (Cincinnati)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 06:57:54 PM »

Drjohn, you're talking about the Memorial Hall that's next to Music Hall?

I didn't realize that this space was being renovated!

I used to go there once a year for years, when the MusicNOW Festival was actually still worth it. Then one year it was absorbed by the CSO, and it stopped being at Music Hall. Mind you, I say this as a big fan/supporter of the CSO, but this move was just plain wrong.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 07:35:12 PM »

Yes, that's the one.  New website:  www.memorialhallotr.com

There was a recent story in the Enquirer about the reopening--should still be available on www.cincinnati.com
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 07:22:23 PM »

2/23/2018:  Polica & stargaze present Music For the Long Emergency

and for all the old hippies you know:

3/13/2018:  Graham Nash
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 10:51:29 PM by Drjohnrock »

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 12:08:36 AM »

I was at the annual Over the Rhine Christmas show 2 weekends ago at Memorial Hall. To be honest, I didn't experience all that much different from before, so I'm not entirely sure what that renovation was about....
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 09:29:58 PM »

I was at the annual Over the Rhine Christmas show 2 weekends ago at Memorial Hall. To be honest, I didn't experience all that much different from before, so I'm not entirely sure what that renovation was about....

There are fewer seats than before the renovations, and I think the stage was upgraded.  Also, the back stage area (which is admittedly out of the public eye) was much improved, especially with respect to load in and load out.  I believe the restrooms were also upgraded. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up