Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2017  (Read 14071 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2017
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 07:36:06 AM »

1. The Lobster - 6
2. Manchester by the Sea - 9
3. St. Vincent - 7
4. American Ultra - 6

5. It Follows - 6

Was underwhelmed.  I'm not saying I need full explanation for what "it" was... but at some point, don't you have to get into it?  And for "it" to be a presence but not visible to others... well let's just say I thought the rules around "it"s behavior was really stupid.  There were a couple of good scares, but there was also nonsense... like the final plan to get rid of "it".  I don't even know what they were doing, and maybe they don't either.  I read some criticism saying that was the point... they were kids and they didn't have a good plan.  OK, fine.  But it was less than satisfying.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 04:08:32 PM »

Movies seen in 2017 (new movies in bold):
1. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
2. Assassin's Creed

3. Die Another Day
4. X-Men: Apocalypse
5. Star Trek Beyond

We had a lot of discussion about Star Trek 3 Reboot.  The first is that it's a big budget shiny summer sci-fi action film and as that's what it's meant to be it delivers with no qualms. Unfortunately, that's about all it is.

The actual science and logic of it is questionable in about a dozen ways (full disclosure, the other two reboots were also like this), and that's even assuming for the suspension of disbelief of some of the main stuff like warp drives and artificial gravity. I'm talking other things like "why would the Federation build a planet-sized outpost right next to a nebula that no one has gone into, no one can communicate through, or scan? That doesn't seem like a very logical thing to happen. Another thing: how could an old ship that crashed there and clearly couldn't work suddenly work with just Jaylah working on it for a while and then the knowledge (no new parts!) of the Enterprise crew being all it needed?  OR, even better....I reallllly didn't understand how the VHF radio waves destroyed the "bees"? Bees that were so advanced that they could take apart the Enterprise in 20 minutes! I could get it if the VHF jammed their communications, sure, but they just blew up? I'm confused.

Anyway, beyond that, we discussed the opportunities that this movie missed to include even more racial harmony, increased gender equality (Uhara is walking around in a skirt?), and other things like that. The movie is not very important, ultimately, and it's just another fancy cash grab.

I really liked the character of Jaylah, who you're supposed to like, but we were confused about how there was zero discussion about who she was, where she came from, etc. She's just like, "oh hey it's Michelle Rodriguez-type casting and that's about it." How about you do some character development?

All in all it was fine. I want to say that it was too predictable because we basically outlined the movie midway through, but to be fair we had to design about 4 or 5 possibilities and the guessing was "which one of these is it?" so maybe it wasn't THAT predictable.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 09:03:42 AM »

1. HAIL, CAESAR - 01/01/17 - cable - I really liked this one, especially since I still had LA LA LAND in my head. I like when Hollywood turns the lens on itself, especially if it's pointed directly at its golden age.
2. MIDNIGHT SPECIAL - 01/01/17 - cable - It is really hard to take your eye off of Michael Shannon when he is on screen. Homedude is magnetic.
3. LOVE THE COOPERS - 01/03/17 - cable - This was just nonsense. But, I liked a couple of things about it, but not enough to recommend it. It definitely won't become a must-watch Christmas movie.
4. EDDIE THE EAGLE - 01/02/17 - cable - I always love a good OLYMPIC DREAM movie. I even love the bad ones. (I'm looking at you, Mitch Gaylord.)
5. MISS SHARON JONES! - 01/07/17 - Netflix - Bittersweet to watch this now, but it was good to spend some time with Miss Jones.
6. BRIGHT LIGHTS: STARRING CARRIE FISHER AND DEBBIE REYNOLDS - 01/08/17 - HBO - Also bittersweet but lovely.
7. TRUTH AND LIES: THE MENENDEZ BROTHERS - 01/08/17 - NBC - Apparently I was on a documentary/real life kick last weekend. I had forgotten a lot of things about this case. I don't think I ever knew about Lyle wearing a hairpiece.
8. HIDDEN FIGURES - 01/17/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - A feel good time at the movie theatre, especially with a packed house (ON A TUESDAY NIGHT!). Great cast and a story that definitely needed to be told. The movie that STEM has needed for a long time. It even got me excited about Math(s) - AND I HATE MATH!
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 11:38:04 AM »

New to me films in BOLD
 This year, like I said, being FAR more particular and selective.

This is just CR-speak for "I've discovered a way to stream British telly 24/7 and have been watching silly game shows and trashy quasi-docs. Oh and the occasional EastEnders and Corrie, but I don't recognize anybody anymore so I grumble and change to ITV or E4."
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 12:16:02 PM »

New to me films in BOLD

This is just CR-speak for "I've discovered a way to stream British telly 24/7 and have been watching silly game shows and trashy quasi-docs. Oh and the occasional EastEnders and Corrie, but I don't recognize anybody anymore so I grumble and change to ITV or E4."

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 01:48:09 PM »

But I like silly game shows.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 06:51:41 PM »

I especially like silly British game shows.
also known as rcc94

Chris

• Citizen
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 08:03:53 PM »

New to me films in BOLD

CR-speak for "I've discovered a way to stream British telly 24/7..."

Hmmmmm, do tell.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 09:00:10 PM »

New to me films in BOLD

CR-speak for "I've discovered a way to stream British telly 24/7..."

Hmmmmm, do tell.

Check your PM
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2017, 12:20:03 AM »

Finally getting started on my list...

1. Sherlock Holmes
2. Sherlock Holmes
3. Rogue One
4. Sherlock Holmes
5. Hidden Figures So very very good! I loved how so many elements were blended together. And any one of the women profiled in it could have had her own movie.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 11:28:48 AM »

Movies seen in 2017 (new movies in bold):
1. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
2. Assassin's Creed

3. Die Another Day
4. X-Men: Apocalypse
5. Star Trek Beyond
6. Hidden Figures

7. We Bought A Zoo
8. The American President
9. The 'Burbs

Hidden Figures: excellent! Really good! Thoroughly enjoyed and highly recommend! Go see it!

WBAZ: still cute. Especially the 7 year old.

The American President: better than I expected. Prescient, in a way, considering that 20+ years ago climate change was a concern and here we are with a president who doesn't think it's real.

The 'Burbs: ridiculous.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2017, 08:52:16 AM »

1. HAIL, CAESAR - 01/01/17 - cable - I really liked this one, especially since I still had LA LA LAND in my head. I like when Hollywood turns the lens on itself, especially if it's pointed directly at its golden age.
2. MIDNIGHT SPECIAL - 01/01/17 - cable - It is really hard to take your eye off of Michael Shannon when he is on screen. Homedude is magnetic.
3. LOVE THE COOPERS - 01/03/17 - cable - This was just nonsense. But, I liked a couple of things about it, but not enough to recommend it. It definitely won't become a must-watch Christmas movie.
4. EDDIE THE EAGLE - 01/02/17 - cable - I always love a good OLYMPIC DREAM movie. I even love the bad ones. (I'm looking at you, Mitch Gaylord.)
5. MISS SHARON JONES! - 01/07/17 - Netflix - Bittersweet to watch this now, but it was good to spend some time with Miss Jones.
6. BRIGHT LIGHTS: STARRING CARRIE FISHER AND DEBBIE REYNOLDS - 01/08/17 - HBO - Also bittersweet but lovely.
7. TRUTH AND LIES: THE MENENDEZ BROTHERS - 01/08/17 - NBC - Apparently I was on a documentary/real life kick last weekend. I had forgotten a lot of things about this case. I don't think I ever knew about Lyle wearing a hairpiece.
8. HIDDEN FIGURES - 01/17/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - A feel good time at the movie theatre, especially with a packed house (ON A TUESDAY NIGHT!). Great cast and a story that definitely needed to be told. The movie that STEM has needed for a long time. It even got me excited about Math(s) - AND I HATE MATH!
9. KILL BILL VOL. 1 - 01/22/17 - STARZ w/The Greg - repeat viewing - That bamboo water fountain gets me every time. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?
10. KILL BILL VOL. 2 - 01/23/17 - STARZ w/The Greg - repeat viewing - Elle's reaction to being coated in Bud's dip cup slime is priceless.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2017, 11:38:48 AM »

1. The Lobster - 6
3. St. Vincent - 7
4. American Ultra - 6
5. It Follows - 6

6. The Neon Demon - 6

This film is so beautiful and weird, but so very ponderously long.  It's worth it for the bananas final half hour.

7. The Founder - 6

Something was just off with this.  It plays like a sterile retelling of events rather than the dramatization it is.  Spend the first half gaining sympathy for Ray Kroc, then the last half showing you why he is not deserving of any sympathy.  The dichotomy just doesn't work very well.

8. Bad Moms - 7

Pretty much what you want and expect it out of this.  Not a ton of big laughs, but Kristen Bell was really good.

9. I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House - 3

Kinda hated it.  Tries to build atmospheric, spooky scares... But the payoff and reveal isn't even that scary.  It literally put me to sleep, had to go back and rewatch about twenty minutes of it... During which not much happens.  The Gothic atmosphere never really comes together for me.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 07:50:39 AM »

1. The Lobster - 6
3. St. Vincent - 7
4. American Ultra - 6
5. It Follows - 6
6. The Neon Demon - 6
7. The Founder - 6
8. Bad Moms - 7
9. I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House - 3

10. Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills - 5

Maybe I'm desensitized to true crime at this point, but I imagine this was groundbreaking stuff in 1995 when it came out on HBO.  There is no narrator and no attempted filmmaker POV, which is nice.  But the trials themselves are far from riveting, and that makes up over half the 2:30 running time.  The parents of the kids are understandably upset throughout, but they are a bit overboard with their want for revenge.  To this day, no one knows who committed these crimes... spoiler alert.  But these 3 kids pled guilty as a condition of their release in 2011, so they take responsibility for it, while the state agrees that they pretty much had no more right to hold them for it anymore.  There are 2 sequels to this that I'll never be watching, but maybe they go into more detail about who actually did it.

11. The Wolfpack - 5

This documentary filmmaker makes a couple of the biggest blunders that you can make.  1. What are the names of these people?  They are mentioned once, and then never again until the final credits.  And since they are not typical English names, I had no hope of identifying anyone beyond their faces, and even that was a struggle since there are 6 of them and some of them look alike.  2. Seriously, you don't ask a single neighbor what they think about these people?  It's a group of 7 children that are homeschooled and some of whom have left their NYC high-rise apartment maybe a handful of times IN THEIR LIVES, and no one thinks to find out some alternate opinions?  Nothing?  I guess that was a choice, but it was a bad choice.  I liked the kids pretty well, and really they are the reason this gets a 5.  The movie itself is not particularly well constructed or shot, but the story of these kids is fascinating.  Sad that it couldn't have been in someone else's hands.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 09:56:55 AM »

11. The Wolfpack - 5

This documentary filmmaker makes a couple of the biggest blunders that you can make.  1. What are the names of these people?  They are mentioned once, and then never again until the final credits.  And since they are not typical English names, I had no hope of identifying anyone beyond their faces, and even that was a struggle since there are 6 of them and some of them look alike.  2. Seriously, you don't ask a single neighbor what they think about these people?  It's a group of 7 children that are homeschooled and some of whom have left their NYC high-rise apartment maybe a handful of times IN THEIR LIVES, and no one thinks to find out some alternate opinions?  Nothing?  I guess that was a choice, but it was a bad choice.  I liked the kids pretty well, and really they are the reason this gets a 5.  The movie itself is not particularly well constructed or shot, but the story of these kids is fascinating.  Sad that it couldn't have been in someone else's hands.

Word!

I bike by their building every time I bike to work (like, 75 times a year?) and I think about them way too much. I wonder how many of them are still in there? I wonder how often they just stare out the window. At least they had a view....there are new buildings going up one block away that will soon restrict their view, and I hear there are more buildings planned that might restrict it further (not sure on the geometry and view corridors exactly). But being cooped up in that apartment sounds claustrophobic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Up