Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2017  (Read 14072 times)

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
Re: 50 Movies in 2017
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2017, 08:56:21 PM »

Finally getting started on my list...

1. Sherlock Holmes
2. Sherlock Holmes
3. Rogue One
4. Sherlock Holmes
5. Hidden Figures So very very good! I loved how so many elements were blended together. And any one of the women profiled in it could have had her own movie.
6. Moana- got sent home from work due to hazardous fumes in the building, so I went to a matinee! Enjoyed it.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2017, 10:58:01 AM »

Finally getting started on my list...

1. Sherlock Holmes
2. Sherlock Holmes
3. Rogue One
4. Sherlock Holmes
5. Hidden Figures So very very good! I loved how so many elements were blended together. And any one of the women profiled in it could have had her own movie.
6. Moana- got sent home from work due to hazardous fumes in the building, so I went to a matinee! Enjoyed it.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?!?! Good for you for going to a movie instead of taking the laptop home and working from there. :)

I love the grandmother SO MUCH in this movie.
Also, I think I cried when I heard Chris Jackson's voice.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2017, 10:59:25 AM »

1. HAIL, CAESAR - 01/01/17 - cable - I really liked this one, especially since I still had LA LA LAND in my head. I like when Hollywood turns the lens on itself, especially if it's pointed directly at its golden age.
2. MIDNIGHT SPECIAL - 01/01/17 - cable - It is really hard to take your eye off of Michael Shannon when he is on screen. Homedude is magnetic.
3. LOVE THE COOPERS - 01/03/17 - cable - This was just nonsense. But, I liked a couple of things about it, but not enough to recommend it. It definitely won't become a must-watch Christmas movie.
4. EDDIE THE EAGLE - 01/02/17 - cable - I always love a good OLYMPIC DREAM movie. I even love the bad ones. (I'm looking at you, Mitch Gaylord.)
5. MISS SHARON JONES! - 01/07/17 - Netflix - Bittersweet to watch this now, but it was good to spend some time with Miss Jones.
6. BRIGHT LIGHTS: STARRING CARRIE FISHER AND DEBBIE REYNOLDS - 01/08/17 - HBO - Also bittersweet but lovely.
7. TRUTH AND LIES: THE MENENDEZ BROTHERS - 01/08/17 - NBC - Apparently I was on a documentary/real life kick last weekend. I had forgotten a lot of things about this case. I don't think I ever knew about Lyle wearing a hairpiece.
8. HIDDEN FIGURES - 01/17/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - A feel good time at the movie theatre, especially with a packed house (ON A TUESDAY NIGHT!). Great cast and a story that definitely needed to be told. The movie that STEM has needed for a long time. It even got me excited about Math(s) - AND I HATE MATH!
9. KILL BILL VOL. 1 - 01/22/17 - STARZ w/The Greg - repeat viewing - That bamboo water fountain gets me every time. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?
10. KILL BILL VOL. 2 - 01/23/17 - STARZ w/The Greg - repeat viewing - Elle's reaction to being coated in Bud's dip cup slime is priceless.
11. NORMAN LEAR: JUST ANOTHER VERSION OF YOU - 01/21/17 - Netflix - I could watch a whole documentary just about his family.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2017, 03:25:52 PM »

1. North By Northwest (1959 - TCM)
2. Office Rules (1999 - Comedy Channel)
3. Vertigo (1958 - TCM)
4. Lion (AMC Merchant Crossing, Ft Myers, FL)
5. Inside Daisy Clover (1965 - TCM)
6. Fences (AMC Merchant Crossing, FT. Myers, FL)
7. East of Eden (1955 - TCM)
8. By Sydney Lumet (PBS)
9. Heaven Can Wait (1978 - TCM)
10. Annie Hall (1977 - TCM)
11. Why Him? (AMC Merchant Crossing, FT. Myers, FL)
12. The Breakup (Comedy Channel)
13. Hidden Figures (AMC Merchant Crossing, Ft. Myers, FL)
Catching up on the last 2 1/2 weeks (movies seen in the theater in bold)

14. Live By Night (Esquire Theatre)
15. Patriots Day (Cinemark Oakley)
16. Things to Come (Esquire Theater)
17. Silence (AMC Newport on the Levee)
18. 20th Century Women (Mariemont Theater)
19. Paterson (Esquire Theater)
20. The Founder (Esquire Theater)

By far the best of this bunch, by a miles or two or twenty, is 20th Century Women. I absolutely loved it. The fact that it is set in 1979, which I remember as if it was yesterday, with the "young" people in the movie pretty much being the same age as me, plays a factor. Add great music, another factor. But most of all, there is a terrific ensemble cast, with an almost unrecognizable Greta Gerwig, thankfully staying far away from her many recent "liberal New York single woman 21st century version of Diane Keaton" roles. Annette Bening delivers a knock-out performance. It is outright criminal how the Academy has overlooked this, and instead lazily gave Meryl Streep yet another Best Actress Oscar nomination which she didn't need or deserve in any way, shape or form (Florence Foster Jenkins is at best, and I'm generous, an okay film). If it looks like I'm worked up a bit over this, just go see 20th Century Women and then let's talk again. Or not. But this is a wonderful 'little' film that is (belatedly) in my top 3 of best movies of 2016 (after Hell or High Water, and La La Land).

Silence is the latest Martin Scorsese movie, Here he delivers his  long-promised "religion" movie (Jesuit Catholic, to be exact). Nothing against the Jesuits--I attended a Jesuit HS, as did my son--but this movie is way, way too long (2 hrs. 40 min.), with a middle section of 90 min. where literally nothing happens. If you can stick it out through the first 2 hours, there is some pay-off in the last 40 min. It got an Oscar nomination for Best Photography, and I'll give the movie that much, it is indeed very stylishly shot.

Adam Drive is in Silence. He is also in Paterson, another 'little' movie that is quite good. He plays a bus driver who in his free time writes poetry. Not a whole lot happens, but enough to have kept my interest. Driver is at his lowest key ever (from what I have seen of him). Definitely worth checking out.

Speaking of "double bills": Isabelle Huppert is in "Elle" (and has gotten a well-deserved Oscar nomination for it). She is also in "Things to Come", an okay French relationship drama. Both movies are currently playing at the Esquire. What are the chances?

I agree with Butter that there is something "off" about The Founder. It is in essence the same movie as The Social Network: how a late comer (Kroc for McDonald's; Zuckerberg for Facebook) pushes aside the original founder of what would become an American icon. The Social Network is a riveting social drama, whereas The Founder is borderline boring with a few good scenes here and there ("Contracts are like hearts, they are meant to be broken").

Patriots Day (about the 2013 Boston Marathon bombings) gets better the deeper we get into the film. The massive manhunt is riveting.

After bringing us the excellent The Town and Argo, writer-director-producer-star Ben Affleck bombs with the very disappointing Live By Night, a Godfather-type wannabe movie. Alas, it ain't the Godfather. Avoid.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 03:28:34 PM by euro60 »
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2017, 07:49:47 AM »

1. The Lobster - 6
2. Manchester by the Sea - 9
3. St. Vincent - 7
4. American Ultra - 6
5. It Follows - 6
6. The Neon Demon - 6
7. The Founder - 6
8. Bad Moms - 7
9. I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House - 3
10. Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills - 5
11. The Wolfpack - 5

12. Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of The National Lampoon - 8

There are a LOT of different story tellers in this... but the filmmakers do a nice job of telling a story instead of getting off on the myriad of great one-off stories they could have included in this.  It is essentially the story of the initial 2 guys and publisher who start the National Lampoon magazine in the late '60's and how that grows into an American comedy institution in the 70's and then fails.  And these guys are all old as shit and have been through hell, and don't mind telling you how it is... including basically how PJ O'Rourke ruins the National Lampoon.  And one of the founders stands up and says "I have hated every minute of it" and wasn't joking.  And how the other one clearly didn't make it all the way to today.  More still pictures of breasts than any movie I can remember... one of the writers even says of the models "we couldn't afford even B-level breasts, so we were getting like D and E-level breasts."

Dozens of hysterical article titles and captions... but I don't think anything beats "'How to Write Dirty' by Justice Thurgood Marshall."  Plus, a lot of funny snippets of their radio show.  Worth it, and it's only like 80 minutes.

13. Split - 6

Entertaining, even though as my wife explained, "they aren't even really sure if DID (dissociative identity disorder) is a real thing or just due to poor diagnosis and technique".  And even if it is a thing "that's not how this works, that's not how any of this works".  -1 for the absolutely unnecessary bumper at the end where M. Night jerks himself off, figuratively.  Yes, I remember when you made a good movie a couple of times, and this one sorta works too.  But as far as being "back", let's not go sucking each other's dicks just yet.

14. Brother's Keeper - 9

Fascinating 1992 doc about a group of 4 brothers who are but simple "country folk"... or "mentally retarded idiots" from another perspective.  Does a great job of delving into the neighbors, the town, the feeling of society around the town, the dichotomy between city/country that these folks feel and then finally the case itself.  THIS is how you do one of these true crime docs.  Only fails to get a perfect grade because... well, you don't really get to know the brothers at all, probably because there just isn't much to know.  As close as you get is Lyman, where he talks about how he always gets nervous, then you see it manifest itself later in the film... scary and amazing all at once.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2017, 11:46:02 AM »

Movies seen in 2017 (new movies in bold):
1. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
2. Assassin's Creed

3. Die Another Day
4. X-Men: Apocalypse
5. Star Trek Beyond
6. Hidden Figures

7. We Bought A Zoo
8. The American President
9. The 'Burbs
10. Suicide Squad

That was a bad movie.
I mean, ultimately, it was a poorly written and poorly directed movie. Many parts of it were fine/decent/etc (acting/casting was decent, special effects were fine, budget was good, an overwhelming amount of music was purchased, which I liked but I don't think my wife did, etc). But ultimately the film suffers tremendously because they didn't know how to write and tell a good story. I guess this called a script failure or a screenplay failure? Or just bad writing. So much failed because I didn't care about any characters. It could have been better presented and we discussed a myriad ways that they could have fixed it up just a little bit. The directing was poor - a few times I was like "I don't know what just happened" - and the "comedy" elements had all the fingerprints of an unfunny person trying to be funny. Could have actually been funny if they had hired a few of the right people. They also assumed their audience was dumb - and were too blatant about too many small things. Give the audience a little credit and tell a tighter story, you know?  There was too much focus on Harley Quinn, too. This shouldn't be a bad thing, but they managed to pull that off.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2017, 04:27:41 PM »

1. HAIL, CAESAR - 01/01/17 - cable - I really liked this one, especially since I still had LA LA LAND in my head. I like when Hollywood turns the lens on itself, especially if it's pointed directly at its golden age.
2. MIDNIGHT SPECIAL - 01/01/17 - cable - It is really hard to take your eye off of Michael Shannon when he is on screen. Homedude is magnetic.
3. LOVE THE COOPERS - 01/03/17 - cable - This was just nonsense. But, I liked a couple of things about it, but not enough to recommend it. It definitely won't become a must-watch Christmas movie.
4. EDDIE THE EAGLE - 01/02/17 - cable - I always love a good OLYMPIC DREAM movie. I even love the bad ones. (I'm looking at you, Mitch Gaylord.)
5. MISS SHARON JONES! - 01/07/17 - Netflix - Bittersweet to watch this now, but it was good to spend some time with Miss Jones.
6. BRIGHT LIGHTS: STARRING CARRIE FISHER AND DEBBIE REYNOLDS - 01/08/17 - HBO - Also bittersweet but lovely.
7. TRUTH AND LIES: THE MENENDEZ BROTHERS - 01/08/17 - NBC - Apparently I was on a documentary/real life kick last weekend. I had forgotten a lot of things about this case. I don't think I ever knew about Lyle wearing a hairpiece.
8. HIDDEN FIGURES - 01/17/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - A feel good time at the movie theatre, especially with a packed house (ON A TUESDAY NIGHT!). Great cast and a story that definitely needed to be told. The movie that STEM has needed for a long time. It even got me excited about Math(s) - AND I HATE MATH!
9. KILL BILL VOL. 1 - 01/22/17 - STARZ w/The Greg - repeat viewing - That bamboo water fountain gets me every time. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?
10. KILL BILL VOL. 2 - 01/23/17 - STARZ w/The Greg - repeat viewing - Elle's reaction to being coated in Bud's dip cup slime is priceless.
11. NORMAN LEAR: JUST ANOTHER VERSION OF YOU - 01/21/17 - Netflix - I could watch a whole documentary just about his family.
12. THE NEW EDITION STORY (Parts I, II, and III) - 01/28/17 - BET - I am a huge fan of the group and loved this mini-series. However, it was obviously filmed with no thought given to commercial breaks. They were always abrupt and annoying. Great casting. Loved the way they had the music re-recorded by the new cast and sort of blended with the original recordings.
13. CAROL - 01/28/17 - dvd from library - And now for something completely different...
14. LION - 01/29/17 - Tara Cinema with Amanda - I definitely cried my eyes out again and again during both halves of this movie. Wonderful performances. (DEV PATEL CAN GET IT.)

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2017, 05:09:36 PM »

New to me films in BOLD

1 ● Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
2 ● Mechanic: Resurrection
3 ● Sully
4 ● The Bank Job (BD)
5 ● David Bowie: The Last Five Years
adding

6 ● The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years
Some nice footage, obviously compiled with care but ultimately begging the question "why"?
7 ● Oil City Confidential: The Dr Feelgood Story
The Feelgoods remain one of the best - if not THE best - live acts I ever saw. Their singular interpretation of pub rock predated punk by at least a couple of years. I've waited to see this Julien Temple directed documentary for far too long, finally being gifted it for Christmas. It did not disappoint. Lee Brilleaux is one of the most underrated vocalists in rock & roll history and his premature death at just 41 years old took the sting out of the Feelgoods sound. Bless them they tried to regroup but it just wasn't the same. Thankfully this doc does not acknowledge that sticking with how the band rose from obscurity almost as a result of them all living on the peculiarly quaint 'industrial wasteland' of Canvey Island.
8 ● Where to Invade Next
Michael Moore's latest is so preposterously predictable he needs to find a new schtick. In this, he travels to overseas countries to 'invade' and steal their best ideas. Usual suspects; working conditions, healthcare, education, food, etc etc. If he could limit himself to just doing a voiceover on his documentaries it would be better than having to always look at him
9 ● Suffragette
Very nicely done drama about Britain's suffragette movement in the early 1900's. Amazing that, despite all women's rights gained and built on since then, women in the USA are still under the cosh from ignorant (mostly) men who can't bear the thought of them being equal in all things.
10 ● Microbe and Gasoline
Michel Gondry's newest is another peculiar offering to add to his growing collection of peculiar offerings. Two schoolboys build a 'caravan' and go on a tour of France in it.
11 ● Captain Fantastic
Or not-so-fantastic. Mawkish and overly cloying. I realise that I am in the minority over this one but it didn't gel with me at all. Absurdist nonsense.
12 ● Antligen Midsommar (A Swedish Midsummer Sex Comedy)
A kind of Swedish "Big Chill" for the current generation which relies too much on humour rather than tackle the complicated relationships a bunch of friends have at a lakeside gathering. No Kevin Bacon in the coffin either.
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2017, 06:12:07 PM »

New to me films in BOLD

Some nice footage, obviously compiled with care but ultimately begging the question "why"?
7 ● Oil City Confidential: The Dr Feelgood Story
The Feelgoods remain one of the best - if not THE best - live acts I ever saw. Their singular interpretation of pub rock predated punk by at least a couple of years. I've waited to see this Julien Temple directed documentary for far too long, finally being gifted it for Christmas. It did not disappoint. Lee Brilleaux is one of the most underrated vocalists in rock & roll history and his premature death at just 41 years old took the sting out of the Feelgoods sound. Bless them they tried to regroup but it just wasn't the same. Thankfully this doc does not acknowledge that sticking with how the band rose from obscurity almost as a result of them all living on the peculiarly quaint 'industrial wasteland' of Canvey Island.

As to 6: no reason, other than to enjoy the boys and the music. That was plenty enough reason for me. I ended up seeing it twice at the Esquire.

As to 7: I saw Dr. Feelgood in concert at London's Hammersmith Odeon in Spring of 1977. I was a junior in HS, and the London trip was a long weekend class trip (we were about 30 in total). We were chaperoned by two Jesuit monks (I went to a Jesuit boarding school near Bruges.) A good many of the group got completely wasted at the show, drinking far too much of that piss-poor British beer. I wasn't one of them, though. Loved the show, and then helped quite a few of them back to the hotel afterwards, blacked out or not. This was the same memorable trip that my classmate Philippe, Prince of Belgium who a few years ago finally became King of Belgium but was all of 17 yrs. then, somehow got separated from the group at one point and got lost in London, causing a diplomatic panic attack and a frantic search for the missing future King of Belgium. (It was the only time that he was allowed to travel outside of Belgium on his own without security detail. After this incident, that was corrected once and for all.) Great memories of a wonderful city I love to this day.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2017, 10:08:35 PM »

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?!?! Good for you for going to a movie instead of taking the laptop home and working from there. :)

I love the grandmother SO MUCH in this movie.
Also, I think I cried when I heard Chris Jackson's voice.

I am proud of myself, too! It was the right choice.
The grandmother was awesome, and I loved how detailed it was. some serious research went in to it.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2017, 10:54:08 AM »

I had the same reaction.  It was well done, but ultimately didn't cover any ground that hasn't been covered before.  I appreciated seeing the new footage that had been unearthed.  Also, when I saw it, the full Shea Stadium performance was tacked on the end, which was very enjoyable to see.  I've seen clips obviously, like the bits with John playing keys with his elbow, but seeing the whole set gave you a whole new appreciation for the frenzy of the show, and also how very fast it flew by.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2017, 11:22:34 AM »

Ron Howard was on an episode of WTF and he basically answers this question by saying "because he could".  I think he says something like who wouldn't want to spend 2 hours with the Beatles at the height of their power.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2017, 08:44:17 AM »

1. The Lobster - 6
2. Manchester by the Sea - 9
3. St. Vincent - 7
4. American Ultra - 6
5. It Follows - 6
6. The Neon Demon - 6
7. The Founder - 6
8. Bad Moms - 7
9. I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House - 3
10. Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills - 5
11. The Wolfpack - 5
12. Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of The National Lampoon - 8
13. Split - 6
14. Brother's Keeper - 9

15. National Lampoon's Animal House

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2017, 09:18:03 AM »

15. National Lampoon's Animal House
"I'm a ZIT! Get it???"

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2017, 09:22:14 AM »

12. THE NEW EDITION STORY (Parts I, II, and III) - 01/28/17 - BET - I am a huge fan of the group and loved this mini-series. However, it was obviously filmed with no thought given to commercial breaks. They were always abrupt and annoying. Great casting. Loved the way they had the music re-recorded by the new cast and sort of blended with the original recordings.
13. CAROL - 01/28/17 - dvd from library - And now for something completely different...
14. LION - 01/29/17 - Tara Cinema with Amanda - I definitely cried my eyes out again and again during both halves of this movie. Wonderful performances. (DEV PATEL CAN GET IT.)
15. MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING 2 - 02/03/17 - dvd from library with Tori - A few laugh out loud moments, but not necessary viewing.
16. TRUMBO - 02/04/17 - dvd from library - A story worth telling. Needed more Diane Lane.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28   Go Up