Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2017  (Read 933 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2017
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2017, 12:10:56 PM »

Movies seen in 2017 (new movies in bold):
1. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
2. Assassin's Creed

3. Die Another Day
4. X-Men: Apocalypse
5. Star Trek Beyond
6. Hidden Figures

7. We Bought A Zoo
8. The American President
9. The 'Burbs
10. Suicide Squad
11. Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children
12. Ella Enchanted
13. Hell Or High Water

14. Airplane!
15. Pete's Dragon
16. The Nice Guys

17. M*A*S*H
18. Money Monster
19. Race

Same review for both Money Monster and Race: this was not a particularly good movie. They had the bones for a powerful drama with important things to say, and instead they just completely blew it. Both films were not successful at the box office and deservedly so.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2017, 05:12:44 PM »

1. North By Northwest (1959 - TCM)
2. Office Rules (1999 - Comedy Channel)
3. Vertigo (1958 - TCM)
4. Lion (AMC Merchant Crossing, Ft Myers, FL)
5. Inside Daisy Clover (1965 - TCM)
6. Fences (AMC Merchant Crossing, FT. Myers, FL)
7. East of Eden (1955 - TCM)
8. By Sydney Lumet (PBS)
9. Heaven Can Wait (1978 - TCM)
10. Annie Hall (1977 - TCM)
11. Why Him? (AMC Merchant Crossing, FT. Myers, FL)
12. The Breakup (Comedy Channel)
13. Hidden Figures (AMC Merchant Crossing, Ft. Myers, FL)
14. Live By Night (Esquire Theatre)
15. Patriots Day (Cinemark Oakley)
16. Things to Come (Esquire Theater)
17. Silence (AMC Newport on the Levee)
18. 20th Century Women (Mariemont Theater)
19. Paterson (Esquire Theater)
20. The Founder (Esquire Theater)
21. This Was the XFL (ESPN 30 for 30)
22. Julieta (Esquire Theater)
23. Sausage Party (DVD)
24. Memoria (DVD)
25. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates (DVD)
26. Fever at Dawn (Jewish & Israeli Film Festival @ Mariemont Theater)
27. Oklahoma City (PBS)
28. Born to Be Blue (DVD)
29. The Last Mentsch (Jewish & Israeli Film Festival @ Mariemont Theater)
Catching up on the last 3 1/2 weeks (movies seen in the theater in bold)

30. The Salesman (Esquire Theater)
31. John Wick 2 (Cinemark Oakley)
32. The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956 - TCM)
33. I Am Not Your Negro (Esquire Theater)
34. Britney Ever After (Lifetime Channel)
35. A Cure for Wellness (AMC Newport on the Levee)
36. Time to Say Goodbye (Jewish & Israeli Film Festival @ Mariemont Theater)
37. A.K.A. Nadia (Jewish & Israeli Film Festival @ Esquire Theater)
38. Toni Erdmann (Mariemont Theater)
39. Neruda (Esquire Theater)
40. Kedi (Esquire Theater)
41. Table 19 (AMC West Chester)

Couple of random comments:

The Salesman, the latest from Iranian director Asghar Farhadi, is a must-see, and I'm happy it won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Movie.

Curiosity got the better of me, and I just had to check out Britney Ever After, the non-authorized bio-pic of Britney Spears. It was terrible. Sadly, it was not so outright terrible that it was campy-good. It just was bad and boring. Not to mention that they couldn't use any of the Britney Spears songs, but instead served up Britney-reminding club music without actually being Britney music.

Toni Erdmann is a 2 hr. 45 min. German comedy (of sorts). I had no idea going in what exactly to expect, and it turned out to be quite good. Rather than terming it a comedy, it's really about a complicated father-daughter relationship. This was also nominated for the Best Foreign Movie Oscar (but lost out to The Salesman).

Neruda is from the same director who just recently brought us Jackie (starring Natalie Portman). Here he returns to safer/more comfortable grounds, namely Chilean politics. It's worth checking out.

Kedi is the sleeper hit of early '17. I had heard about this from NPR: it's a documentary about street cats in Istanbul. Being a cat person myself, I knew I had to see this. It's so far only playing in a handful of cities around the country, but Cincy is one of them (The Esquire, of course). The Friday evening screening I saw this at was PACKED. Noticed today that Kedi's per screen average this past weekend is second in the country, just below the new Wolverine vehicle Logan. Yes, you read right. If you love cats, don't miss this.

Table 19 is a Duplass brothers movie starring Anna Kendrick, so how bad could it really be? Very bad, as it turns out. Huge disappointment as I love the Duplass brothers and Kendrick can do no wrong in my book. This is billed as a comedy. I didn't laugh a single time in the entire movie, not once! Avoid at all cost, even as a free rental.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2017, 08:54:36 PM »

Finally getting started on my list...

1. Sherlock Holmes
2. Sherlock Holmes
3. Rogue One
4. Sherlock Holmes
5. Hidden Figures So very very good! I loved how so many elements were blended together. And any one of the women profiled in it could have had her own movie.
6. Moana- got sent home from work due to hazardous fumes in the building, so I went to a matinee! Enjoyed it.
7. The Parent Trap (Original flavor)- Hayley Mills is as cute as a button! The story is still completely ridiculous, but "Let's get together, yeah, yeah, yeah", and I'd completely forgotten that the mom was Maureen O'Hara.

8. The Founder Liked Keaton's performance in this way better than Birdman.
9. Get Out with Lando! Excellent film, and just the right amount of suspense
10. Finding Dory

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • No, THIS is 41.
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2017, 07:37:54 AM »

1. The Lobster - 6
2. Manchester by the Sea - 9
3. St. Vincent - 7
4. American Ultra - 6
5. It Follows - 6
6. The Neon Demon - 6
7. The Founder - 6
8. Bad Moms - 7
9. I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House - 3
10. Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills - 5
11. The Wolfpack - 5
12. Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of The National Lampoon - 8
13. Split - 6
14. Brother's Keeper - 9
15. National Lampoon's Animal House
16. Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me - 9
17. Sun Choke - 8
18. Holy Hell - 7
19. 10 Cloverfield Lane - 7

20. 13th - 8

Powerful advocacy film that posits the 13th amendment has led to the Prison Industrial Complex due to a single clause ("Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction").  I'm not sure I buy the conflation the movie makes between slavery and prison, but it makes some good points.  I also state that it's an advocacy film instead of a documentary, because while the film is based on a true subject, the inclusion of a couple of talking heads of Newt Gingrich and Grover Norquist hardly qualifies as a full presentation of all the facts from both sides.

The problem I had with the movie is that it tries to pack in a couple too many ideas.  It's a little scattershot in its approach... the images from the turn of the century and segregation that it uses are powerful... even inciting to the right audience.  But the middle part that talks about how the prisons basically wrote their own legislation to keep prisons full is a little lacking.  Then it gets onto the whole idea around how and why companies write their own legislation, and that part was actually pretty boring. 

Even so it's hard to argue that the whole idea behind the Republican party's control of power for the past 40 years has not basically boiled down to keeping white people afraid of "others" and demonizing them.  That point is driven home hard throughout, and is made pretty convincingly.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2017, 11:30:36 AM »

2. Assassin's Creed

3. Die Another Day
5. Star Trek Beyond
6. Hidden Figures

7. We Bought A Zoo
9. The 'Burbs
10. Suicide Squad
12. Ella Enchanted
13. Hell Or High Water

14. Airplane!
15. Pete's Dragon
16. The Nice Guys

17. M*A*S*H
18. Money Monster
19. Race
20. Logan

Logan was quite good. It broke almost every "rule" that the Marvel movies have set out for themselves, which made it quite interesting. It was powerful, it was moving, it was the movie that the standalone film for Wolverine should have been 2 or 3 movies ago. (Without spoiling anything) It was a bit Shakespearean and it explored topics that most movies - especially superhero movies - don't really touch. It's still a superhero action film, but yet very different.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2017, 08:52:33 AM »

Logan was quite good. It broke almost every "rule" that the Marvel movies have set out for themselves, which made it quite interesting. It was powerful, it was moving, it was the movie that the standalone film for Wolverine should have been 2 or 3 movies ago. (Without spoiling anything) It was a bit Shakespearean and it explored topics that most movies - especially superhero movies - don't really touch. It's still a superhero action film, but yet very different.

Grim is what it was, awesome, but grim.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2017, 09:05:19 AM »

1. HAIL, CAESAR - 01/01/17 - cable - I really liked this one, especially since I still had LA LA LAND in my head. I like when Hollywood turns the lens on itself, especially if it's pointed directly at its golden age.
2. MIDNIGHT SPECIAL - 01/01/17 - cable - It is really hard to take your eye off of Michael Shannon when he is on screen. Homedude is magnetic.
3. LOVE THE COOPERS - 01/03/17 - cable - This was just nonsense. But, I liked a couple of things about it, but not enough to recommend it. It definitely won't become a must-watch Christmas movie.
4. EDDIE THE EAGLE - 01/02/17 - cable - I always love a good OLYMPIC DREAM movie. I even love the bad ones. (I'm looking at you, Mitch Gaylord.)
5. MISS SHARON JONES! - 01/07/17 - Netflix - Bittersweet to watch this now, but it was good to spend some time with Miss Jones.
6. BRIGHT LIGHTS: STARRING CARRIE FISHER AND DEBBIE REYNOLDS - 01/08/17 - HBO - Also bittersweet but lovely.
7. TRUTH AND LIES: THE MENENDEZ BROTHERS - 01/08/17 - NBC - Apparently I was on a documentary/real life kick last weekend. I had forgotten a lot of things about this case. I don't think I ever knew about Lyle wearing a hairpiece.
8. HIDDEN FIGURES - 01/17/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - A feel good time at the movie theatre, especially with a packed house (ON A TUESDAY NIGHT!). Great cast and a story that definitely needed to be told. The movie that STEM has needed for a long time. It even got me excited about Math(s) - AND I HATE MATH!
9. KILL BILL VOL. 1 - 01/22/17 - STARZ w/The Greg - repeat viewing - That bamboo water fountain gets me every time. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?
10. KILL BILL VOL. 2 - 01/23/17 - STARZ w/The Greg - repeat viewing - Elle's reaction to being coated in Bud's dip cup slime is priceless.
11. NORMAN LEAR: JUST ANOTHER VERSION OF YOU - 01/21/17 - Netflix - I could watch a whole documentary just about his family.
12. THE NEW EDITION STORY (Parts I, II, and III) - 01/28/17 - BET - I am a huge fan of the group and loved this mini-series. However, it was obviously filmed with no thought given to commercial breaks. They were always abrupt and annoying. Great casting. Loved the way they had the music re-recorded by the new cast and sort of blended with the original recordings.
13. CAROL - 01/28/17 - dvd from library - And now for something completely different...
14. LION - 01/29/17 - Tara Cinema with Amanda - I definitely cried my eyes out again and again during both halves of this movie. Wonderful performances. (DEV PATEL CAN GET IT.)
15. MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING 2 - 02/03/17 - dvd from library with Tori - A few laugh out loud moments, but not necessary viewing.
16. TRUMBO - 02/04/17 - dvd from library - A story worth telling. Needed more Diane Lane.
17. DOCTOR STRANGE - 02/12/17 - cheapy theatre - I think I liked 15% of this movie (anything with Chiwetel Ejiofor). Doctor Strange is a dick.
18. A HARD DAY'S NIGHT - 02/18/17 - TCM - repeat viewing - I hadn't seen it in quite a while. But, I used to watch it nearly weekly when I was in middle school/high school. It was like spending time with a group of old friends. The next time we get a new pet, I want a Richard Starkey. George has always been my favorite. But, I fell in love with Ringo during this viewing.
19. JOHN WICK 2 - 02/19/17 - AMC AVENUE FORSYTH w/The Greg - Couldn't hold a candle to the first one. But, I still enjoyed sections of it (HELLO, COMMON!). The aesthetic was different and not so much to my liking, the plot annoyed me, and I've already seen a much better action movie have a much better battle sequence in a house of mirrors.
20. MANCHESTER BY THE SEA - 02/24/17 - Redbox DVD - The performances from Casey Affleck and the young kid are a helluva thing in this movie. That story is a real heartbreaker.
21. SPA NIGHT - 02/27/17 - Netflix - I wanted to check out one of the Spirit Award winners and was delighted to see that this was on NETFLIX. I liked it for the glimpse into the main character's life. His stress and struggles were INTENSE. But, if you like to have those sorts of things sorted out before the movie ends, I wouldn't recommend this one.
22. GET OUT - 03/05/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - I don't like scary movies. But, this was definitely more in line with being a "social thriller" and I can handle that.
23. WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE - 03/10/17 - TCM - Again, I don't like scary movies. So, I had always avoided this one. But, it's also more of a thriller than horror and I loved it.
24. VICTOR VICTORIA - 03/11/17 - TCM - repeat viewing - Robert Preston's performance is so wonderful in this movie. So much going on, but almost all of it is fantastic.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2017, 11:41:16 AM »

1. HAIL, CAESAR - 01/01/17 - cable - I really liked this one, especially since I still had LA LA LAND in my head. I like when Hollywood turns the lens on itself, especially if it's pointed directly at its golden age.
2. MIDNIGHT SPECIAL - 01/01/17 - cable - It is really hard to take your eye off of Michael Shannon when he is on screen. Homedude is magnetic.
3. LOVE THE COOPERS - 01/03/17 - cable - This was just nonsense. But, I liked a couple of things about it, but not enough to recommend it. It definitely won't become a must-watch Christmas movie.
4. EDDIE THE EAGLE - 01/02/17 - cable - I always love a good OLYMPIC DREAM movie. I even love the bad ones. (I'm looking at you, Mitch Gaylord.)
5. MISS SHARON JONES! - 01/07/17 - Netflix - Bittersweet to watch this now, but it was good to spend some time with Miss Jones.
6. BRIGHT LIGHTS: STARRING CARRIE FISHER AND DEBBIE REYNOLDS - 01/08/17 - HBO - Also bittersweet but lovely.
7. TRUTH AND LIES: THE MENENDEZ BROTHERS - 01/08/17 - NBC - Apparently I was on a documentary/real life kick last weekend. I had forgotten a lot of things about this case. I don't think I ever knew about Lyle wearing a hairpiece.
8. HIDDEN FIGURES - 01/17/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - A feel good time at the movie theatre, especially with a packed house (ON A TUESDAY NIGHT!). Great cast and a story that definitely needed to be told. The movie that STEM has needed for a long time. It even got me excited about Math(s) - AND I HATE MATH!
9. KILL BILL VOL. 1 - 01/22/17 - STARZ w/The Greg - repeat viewing - That bamboo water fountain gets me every time. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?
10. KILL BILL VOL. 2 - 01/23/17 - STARZ w/The Greg - repeat viewing - Elle's reaction to being coated in Bud's dip cup slime is priceless.
11. NORMAN LEAR: JUST ANOTHER VERSION OF YOU - 01/21/17 - Netflix - I could watch a whole documentary just about his family.
12. THE NEW EDITION STORY (Parts I, II, and III) - 01/28/17 - BET - I am a huge fan of the group and loved this mini-series. However, it was obviously filmed with no thought given to commercial breaks. They were always abrupt and annoying. Great casting. Loved the way they had the music re-recorded by the new cast and sort of blended with the original recordings.
13. CAROL - 01/28/17 - dvd from library - And now for something completely different...
14. LION - 01/29/17 - Tara Cinema with Amanda - I definitely cried my eyes out again and again during both halves of this movie. Wonderful performances. (DEV PATEL CAN GET IT.)
15. MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING 2 - 02/03/17 - dvd from library with Tori - A few laugh out loud moments, but not necessary viewing.
16. TRUMBO - 02/04/17 - dvd from library - A story worth telling. Needed more Diane Lane.
17. DOCTOR STRANGE - 02/12/17 - cheapy theatre - I think I liked 15% of this movie (anything with Chiwetel Ejiofor). Doctor Strange is a dick.
18. A HARD DAY'S NIGHT - 02/18/17 - TCM - repeat viewing - I hadn't seen it in quite a while. But, I used to watch it nearly weekly when I was in middle school/high school. It was like spending time with a group of old friends. The next time we get a new pet, I want a Richard Starkey. George has always been my favorite. But, I fell in love with Ringo during this viewing.
19. JOHN WICK 2 - 02/19/17 - AMC AVENUE FORSYTH w/The Greg - Couldn't hold a candle to the first one. But, I still enjoyed sections of it (HELLO, COMMON!). The aesthetic was different and not so much to my liking, the plot annoyed me, and I've already seen a much better action movie have a much better battle sequence in a house of mirrors.
20. MANCHESTER BY THE SEA - 02/24/17 - Redbox DVD - The performances from Casey Affleck and the young kid are a helluva thing in this movie. That story is a real heartbreaker.
21. SPA NIGHT - 02/27/17 - Netflix - I wanted to check out one of the Spirit Award winners and was delighted to see that this was on NETFLIX. I liked it for the glimpse into the main character's life. His stress and struggles were INTENSE. But, if you like to have those sorts of things sorted out before the movie ends, I wouldn't recommend this one.
22. GET OUT - 03/05/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - I don't like scary movies. But, this was definitely more in line with being a "social thriller" and I can handle that.
23. WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE - 03/10/17 - TCM - Again, I don't like scary movies. So, I had always avoided this one. But, it's also more of a thriller than horror and I loved it.
24. VICTOR VICTORIA - 03/11/17 - TCM - repeat viewing - Robert Preston's performance is so wonderful in this movie. So much going on, but almost all of it is fantastic.
25. CRISTELA ALONZO: LOWER CLASSY - 03/09/17 - Netflix - I enjoyed her TV show. Her comedy special was just OK.
26. NEAL BRENNAN: 3 MICS - 03/14/17 - Netflix - I thought this was a great idea for a comedy special and he nails all 3 parts/mics.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #83 on: Yesterday at 12:36:01 PM »

2. Assassin's Creed

3. Die Another Day
5. Star Trek Beyond
6. Hidden Figures

7. We Bought A Zoo
9. The 'Burbs
10. Suicide Squad
12. Ella Enchanted
13. Hell Or High Water

14. Airplane!
15. Pete's Dragon
16. The Nice Guys

17. M*A*S*H
18. Money Monster
19. Race
20. Logan
21. Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman
22. The Running Man

Winning: was a quality documentary about a subject that wasn't that interesting to me. Like, I learned a lot because I didn't know much of anything about the subject, but then at the end I was kind of like, "I don't really care, either." Regardless, it was incredibly well done.

Running Man: the lame puns were my favorite part.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • No, THIS is 41.
« Reply #84 on: Today at 02:17:41 PM »

1. The Lobster - 6
2. Manchester by the Sea - 9
3. St. Vincent - 7
4. American Ultra - 6
5. It Follows - 6
6. The Neon Demon - 6
7. The Founder - 6
8. Bad Moms - 7
9. I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House - 3
10. Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills - 5
11. The Wolfpack - 5
12. Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of The National Lampoon - 8
13. Split - 6
14. Brother's Keeper - 9
15. National Lampoon's Animal House
16. Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me - 9
17. Sun Choke - 8
18. Holy Hell - 7
19. 10 Cloverfield Lane - 7
20. 13th - 8

21. "Manos": The Hands of Fate - MST3K on Netflix

Hadn't seen this in a good long time.  It's so inscrutable... but the best part is now I can pair it with internet research and find out just what the hell was going on when this thing got thrown together.  Go down the Manos wormhole for a few minutes on wikipedia and elsewhere... it's pretty fun.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up