Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2017  (Read 3755 times)

Butter and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2017
« Reply #255 on: August 11, 2017, 04:07:52 PM »

It was really well done. It was beautiful. It was...not exactly relate-able in the literal sense but relate-able in the figurative sense. Plus magic. And who doesn't want the Ocean to save you every time you fall into it? Plus it also reminded me of being in Hawaii, so that's pretty cool too. And apparently the science/history of it is fairly accurate. And they hired Alan Tudyk to basically do nothing but chicken noises, which is hilarious.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #256 on: August 14, 2017, 07:34:52 AM »

1. The Lobster - 6
2. Manchester by the Sea - 9
3. St. Vincent - 7
4. American Ultra - 6
5. It Follows - 6
6. The Neon Demon - 6
7. The Founder - 6
8. Bad Moms - 7
9. I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House - 3
10. Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills - 5
11. The Wolfpack - 5
12. Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of The National Lampoon - 8
13. Split - 6
14. Brother's Keeper - 9
15. National Lampoon's Animal House
16. Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me - 9
17. Sun Choke - 8
18. Holy Hell - 7
19. 10 Cloverfield Lane - 7
20. 13th - 8
21. "Manos": The Hands of Fate - MST3K on Netflix
22. Beauty and the Beast (2017) - 5
23. Tower - 8
24. The Discovery - 3
25. The Seven Five - 8
26. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - 7
27. Oklahoma City - 7
28. Night Will Fall - n/a
29. Spotlight - 6
30. GLOW: The Story of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling - 7
31. Christine (2016) - 9
32. The Cutting Edge - 4
33. Mindhorn - 8
34. Wonder Woman - 7
35. Moonlight - 9
36. 47 Meters Down - 5
37. Moana - 8
38. Get Out - 9
39. The House - 3
40. Mommy Dead and Dearest - 9
41. Baby Driver - 8
42. Necessary Roughness
43. Spiderman: Homecoming - 7
44. Dunkirk - 8
45. Beware the Slenderman - 6
46. Hail, Caesar! - 6
47. Broadcast News

48. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - 7

Solid.  Entertaining.  Even if I could only understand about half of what Eddie Redmayne says because of his extreme affect. 

49. There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane - 8

Doc about a woman who one day drives the wrong way down a New York state turnpike with 5 kids in the car, and kills herself, 4 of the children, and 3 guys in another car.  She was by all accounts typically responsible and clear-headed.  She was also found to have a BAC of .19 and have a similarly intoxicating amount of marijuana in her system at the time.  So what the hell happened?  The questions aren't REALLY answered, but if you believe in Occam's Razor they are answered well enough.  The background given to Diane, her life and relationships really helps the documentary.  What hurts it is that every single interview subject is filmed in EXTREME closeup.  I felt like I could've counted her husband's nose hairs by the end of it.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #257 on: August 15, 2017, 05:59:14 PM »

Movies seen in 2017 (new movies in bold):
1. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
2. Assassin's Creed

3. Die Another Day
4. X-Men: Apocalypse
5. Star Trek Beyond
6. Hidden Figures

7. We Bought A Zoo
8. The American President
9. The 'Burbs
10. Suicide Squad
11. Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children
12. Ella Enchanted
13. Hell Or High Water

14. Airplane!
15. Pete's Dragon
16. The Nice Guys

17. M*A*S*H
18. Money Monster
19. Race
20. Logan
21. Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman
22. The Running Man

23. Major League
24. Spring Breakers
25. The Fate of the Furious
26. Jason Bourne

27. The Last Witch Hunter
28. Tombstone
29. Weiner
30. The Karate Kid (1984)
31. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2
32. Kedi
33. The Accountant
34. Underworld: Blood Wars
35. XXX: The Return of Xander Cage
36. Big Trouble in Little China

37. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
38. Wonder Woman
39. Passengers
40. Kubo and the Two Strings
41. The Last Dragonslayer
42. Live By Night
43. The Free State of Jones
44. Baby Driver
45. John Wick: Chapter 2
46. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

47. How To Train Your Dragon
48. Sing Street
49. The Prestige
50. Dunkirk
51. Moana

52. Overboard
53. School of Rock
54. Atomic Blonde

Overboard: film from my childhood and cute. Quite far-fetched, but then so is every Fast and Furious movie so who am I to criticize?

School of Rock: realizing more and more that this is pretty much a kids movie, but Jack Black's characters' pure love of Rock and Roll is pretty awesome.

Atomic Blonde: Wow! Really really good! Maybe my favorite movie of the year. A bit confusing but still great. All of the scenes in November in Berlin made me feel really cold, and considering it's based off of a comic called "The Coldest City" I give them considerable credit. Also, the theater was like 60 degrees inside and I was shivering the whole time...in August. So it was almost a four-dimensional experience! Regardless, I loved the movie. The soundtrack was phenomenal, the characters were interesting, the sets and shots and cinematography were fantastic. Just great. Highly recommended.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #258 on: Yesterday at 12:42:20 AM »

Dan, glad you liked/loved Atomic Blonde. But surely not the "best" movie of the year? Maybe the soundtrack is!

I love your comment about the theater being so cold. It is a sore point for me. I honestly cannot understand why movie theaters are so hell-bent on freezing the audience. It happens everywhere, or certainly here also in Cincy. I don't dare go to a movie without an extra sweater. I see people around me putting a sweater on. WHY is this happening? I regularly complain to the theater manager about the theater being too cold. Rarely is anything done about it. My guess is that they are thinking "it's 90 degrees outside, let's make sure people are comfortable and hence let's put the temp gauge at 65", but that just doesn't make any sense!

The same is true for many restaurants and bars, sadly. I just don't get it.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #259 on: Yesterday at 06:38:57 PM »

I don't know the answers either. My theories are
1) For "The Coldest City" they made it colder on purpose for the experience. And it worked!
2) It has to do with traditional movie going experiences. In the golden age of film - the 1920s - air conditioning was still a novelty but for whatever reason the successful theaters had adopted it and were using it as a marketing element. "Get out of the heat by watching our movie." And as those theaters were successful, they continued to do it...forever. These days it's still get out of the heat, but in the winter the temperatures stay the same....although you notice it less because you're already wearing a sweater and warm clothing.

I dunno. Just a theory.

Favorite movie of the year for me? So far... but that's of the films I've seen, and that meet my taste. Certainly not the best movie for the general public. I'd definitely recommend it over Dunkirk, Fate of the Furious, John Wick 2, Valerian, or Guardians of the Galaxy 2. It's maybe tied with or just barely ahead of Baby Driver although I think that film lost something in the 2nd act. As far as soundtracks...those two are tied.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:40:54 PM by Dan »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Up