Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2017  (Read 5388 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2017
« Reply #300 on: October 03, 2017, 09:40:00 AM »

1. HAIL, CAESAR - 01/01/17 - cable - I really liked this one, especially since I still had LA LA LAND in my head. I like when Hollywood turns the lens on itself, especially if it's pointed directly at its golden age.
2. MIDNIGHT SPECIAL - 01/01/17 - cable - It is really hard to take your eye off of Michael Shannon when he is on screen. Homedude is magnetic.
3. LOVE THE COOPERS - 01/03/17 - cable - This was just nonsense. But, I liked a couple of things about it, but not enough to recommend it. It definitely won't become a must-watch Christmas movie.
4. EDDIE THE EAGLE - 01/02/17 - cable - I always love a good OLYMPIC DREAM movie. I even love the bad ones. (I'm looking at you, Mitch Gaylord.)
5. MISS SHARON JONES! - 01/07/17 - Netflix - Bittersweet to watch this now, but it was good to spend some time with Miss Jones.
6. BRIGHT LIGHTS: STARRING CARRIE FISHER AND DEBBIE REYNOLDS - 01/08/17 - HBO - Also bittersweet but lovely.
7. TRUTH AND LIES: THE MENENDEZ BROTHERS - 01/08/17 - NBC - Apparently I was on a documentary/real life kick last weekend. I had forgotten a lot of things about this case. I don't think I ever knew about Lyle wearing a hairpiece.
8. HIDDEN FIGURES - 01/17/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - A feel good time at the movie theatre, especially with a packed house (ON A TUESDAY NIGHT!). Great cast and a story that definitely needed to be told. The movie that STEM has needed for a long time. It even got me excited about Math(s) - AND I HATE MATH!
9. KILL BILL VOL. 1 - 01/22/17 - STARZ w/The Greg - repeat viewing - That bamboo water fountain gets me every time. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?
10. KILL BILL VOL. 2 - 01/23/17 - STARZ w/The Greg - repeat viewing - Elle's reaction to being coated in Bud's dip cup slime is priceless.
11. NORMAN LEAR: JUST ANOTHER VERSION OF YOU - 01/21/17 - Netflix - I could watch a whole documentary just about his family.
12. THE NEW EDITION STORY (Parts I, II, and III) - 01/28/17 - BET - I am a huge fan of the group and loved this mini-series. However, it was obviously filmed with no thought given to commercial breaks. They were always abrupt and annoying. Great casting. Loved the way they had the music re-recorded by the new cast and sort of blended with the original recordings.
13. CAROL - 01/28/17 - dvd from library - And now for something completely different...
14. LION - 01/29/17 - Tara Cinema with Amanda - I definitely cried my eyes out again and again during both halves of this movie. Wonderful performances. (DEV PATEL CAN GET IT.)
15. MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING 2 - 02/03/17 - dvd from library with Tori - A few laugh out loud moments, but not necessary viewing.
16. TRUMBO - 02/04/17 - dvd from library - A story worth telling. Needed more Diane Lane.
17. DOCTOR STRANGE - 02/12/17 - cheapy theatre - I think I liked 15% of this movie (anything with Chiwetel Ejiofor). Doctor Strange is a dick.
18. A HARD DAY'S NIGHT - 02/18/17 - TCM - repeat viewing - I hadn't seen it in quite a while. But, I used to watch it nearly weekly when I was in middle school/high school. It was like spending time with a group of old friends. The next time we get a new pet, I want a Richard Starkey. George has always been my favorite. But, I fell in love with Ringo during this viewing.
19. JOHN WICK 2 - 02/19/17 - AMC AVENUE FORSYTH w/The Greg - Couldn't hold a candle to the first one. But, I still enjoyed sections of it (HELLO, COMMON!). The aesthetic was different and not so much to my liking, the plot annoyed me, and I've already seen a much better action movie have a much better battle sequence in a house of mirrors.
20. MANCHESTER BY THE SEA - 02/24/17 - Redbox DVD - The performances from Casey Affleck and the young kid are a helluva thing in this movie. That story is a real heartbreaker.
21. SPA NIGHT - 02/27/17 - Netflix - I wanted to check out one of the Spirit Award winners and was delighted to see that this was on NETFLIX. I liked it for the glimpse into the main character's life. His stress and struggles were INTENSE. But, if you like to have those sorts of things sorted out before the movie ends, I wouldn't recommend this one.
22. GET OUT - 03/05/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - I don't like scary movies. But, this was definitely more in line with being a "social thriller" and I can handle that.
23. WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE - 03/10/17 - TCM - Again, I don't like scary movies. So, I had always avoided this one. But, it's also more of a thriller than horror and I loved it.
24. VICTOR VICTORIA - 03/11/17 - TCM - repeat viewing - Robert Preston's performance is so wonderful in this movie. So much going on, but almost all of it is fantastic.
25. CRISTELA ALONZO: LOWER CLASSY - 03/09/17 - Netflix - I enjoyed her TV show. Her comedy special was just OK.
26. NEAL BRENNAN: 3 MICS - 03/14/17 - Netflix - I thought this was a great idea for a comedy special and he nails all 3 parts/mics.
27. THE HONEYMOON KILLERS - 03/26/17 - TCM - Criterion Collection on TCM in the wee small hours
28. SING - 04/02/17 - Picture Show Marietta - It was cute and fine. A little long. I was most blown away by Taron Egerton. I didn't know he had those pipes.
29. GOING IN STYLE - 04/07/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/my mom - The perfect movie to see at a matinee with my mom. Better than I thought it would be, but still tropey. But, I didn't hate it. I like bank heist movies.
30. HOT PURSUIT - 04/07/17 - Amazong Prime - The WORST movie that I have seen in a loooooooooooooong time. Reese Witherspoon was terrible. TEEEEEEEEEEERRIBLE. Sofia wasn't so awful. But, it's just a horrible movie. How could someone who grew up her whole life in Texas not know what a drawing of a longhorn looks like?
31. 20TH CENTURY WOMEN - 04/08/17 - Redbox - Wonderful performances all around. Great music.
32. NOCTURNAL ANIMALS - 04/09/17 - Redbox- This one sucked me in but my mom did NOT care for it. The main action scene of the movie was straight-up terrifying.
33. EVERYBODY WANTS SOME! - 04/29/17 - Amazon Prime - repeat viewing (w/Aimz during her visit)
34. SAUSAGE PARTY - 05/04/17 - Netflix - I don't think I'll ever be able to look at a bagel as I did before seeing this movie.
35. STRIKE A POSE - 05/12/17 - Netflix - This is a documentary about the 7 main dancers from Madonna's BLOND AMBITION tour (who were heavily featured in the TRUTH OR DARE movie). I think I watched TRUTH OR DARE about a billion times in junior high and high school. These guys felt like friends, or at least like the cool kids who I wished I could be around. I knew them ALL by name. It was so great to see all of them again. Seeing that they all still dance seriously made me cry as did hearing their journeys over the last 25 years.
36. GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, VOL. 2 - 05/15/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious, The Greg, and Victor - You get a daddy issue! And YOU get a daddy issue! And YOU get a couple of daddy issues! I think va_vacious laughed louder and more often than anyone in the theatre. The jokes were corny and in our wheelhouse. Good stuff. Hilarious cameo.  I'd probably find a way to shave off about 15-20 minutes from the running time. Also, I LOVE YOU, KURT RUSSELL.
37. CLOSET MONSTER - Netflix - I watched this in bits until finally finishing it recently. I liked some of it and I can sorta recommend it if you are interested in seeing a hamster voiced by Isabella Rosselini. But, it's kind of a tough movie to watch in spots (it includes one of the most brutal sexual assaults I've ever seen on screen). I did enjoy the main actor's performance (he was also very good in AMERICAN CRIME this season).
38. BAYWATCH - 05/28/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Beth - I thought it would be fun-dumb but it was just dumb-dumb.
39. PATERSON - 05/26/17 - Redbox - I love Jim Jarmusch. I love Adam Driver. I love anything black & white. I loved seeing Chidi in something other than THE GOOD PLACE. An English bulldog named Marvin as an arch-nemesis is aces in my book. Worth the rental or viewing if you also love those things.
40. CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR - 06/01/17 - Netflix - I kept holding off on watching this because I had never seen WINTER SOLDIER. But, I got enough info from the beginning to follow along and enjoy this one. I might go back and watch WINTER SOLDIER someday because Bucky is FOINE. Totally forgot Chadwick Boseman was in this one. I loved his character and can't wait to see his movie!
41. KUBO & THE TWO STRINGS - 06/02/17 - Netflix - repeat viewing - "If you must blink, do it NOW!"
42. INFERNO - 06/05/17 - dvd from library w/Norton - The Greg always watches those DAVINCI CODE movies when they come on. So, I thought I'd get this for him from the library. It might be the worst movie we have ever watched together. We nearly stopped watching it, but we were almost to the end and figured we'd push through. IT.WAS.SO.AWFUL.
43. WONDER WOMAN - 06/09/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Vizz and friends - Loved the first 1/4, liked the 2nd and 3rd quarters, and fell asleep during the final 1/4.
44. THE MUMMY - 06/13/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va-vacious - I liked this much more than I thought that I would based on the scathing reviews it has been receiving. It had some dumb moments but it was still a fun action/horror ("Dark Universe") movie. Lots of great practical effects instead of relying solely on CGI-stuff. Tom Cruise may be a little too "extra" for a lot of people but he puts in the work to bring us the goods. His character gave me a Jack Colton (from ROMANCING THE STONE) vibe and that can never rub me the wrong way. I love Annabelle Wallis on PEAKY BLINDERS but she seemed a little too cold in this movie. Russell Crowe did some great stuff. Jake Johnson was the comedic relief that I didn't really need. I'll stop here because I've already written more about THE MUMMY than anyone wants to read.
45. MAGGIE'S PLAN - 06/16/17 - Showtime (I think) - The trailer basically gave away the whole movie. But, I'll happily spend time with Greta Gerwig and Bill Hader anytime. Greta Gerwig = this generation's Diane Keaton.
46. OH HELLO ON BROADWAY - 06/17/17 - A delight, even with such a long running time. I wish they had included some footage from other special guests during their Broadway run. TUNA. CURTAIN.
47. RUNNING SCARED - 07/01/17 - cable - repeat viewing - The idea of casting Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines as grizzled Chicago detectives is HILARIOUS. But, it just WORKS in the 80s. The section that they spend down in the Keys is just THE BEST.
48. BABY DRIVER - 07/05/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - Totally wanted to do donuts in the parking lot after watching the movie. Not perfect but a hell of a lot of FUN. All of the Oscars for sound editing and design! Also, it's ridiculous that stunt coordinators don't get Academy Awards. BTW - I squealed when I saw who was playing the role of The Butcher! LOVE!!!!!
49. BEING CARY GRANT - 07/08/17 - Showtime? - Mostly dull, but it's not their fault that Cary gave so few interviews and stayed out of the public eye.
50. LOVE BY CHANCE - 07/09/17 - Hallmark - I haven't watched one of these in a while. I thought this one was cute and was drawn in because the main guy looked a lot like Rob Delaney and I'm going through CATASTROPHE withdrawals.
51. THE BIG SICK - 07/16/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - Can I keep Holly Hunter in my pocket? PLEEEEEEEASE.
52. GIRLS NIGHT - 07/31/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va-vacious - This was so much fun! Silly bits, emotional bits, and Kofi Siriboe's bits.
53. ATOMIC BLONDE - 07/31/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va-vacious, Beth, and Gwynne - SEXXXY as all get out. Didn't make much sense, but it looked great. Some of the best hand-to-hand action sequences since early BOURNE stuff. My movie boyfriends, James McAvoy and John Goodman, made me happy when they were on screen.
54. DAZED & CONFUSED - 08/06/17 - repeat viewing
55. SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING - 08/13/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Victor - I skipped the last installment of the Spider-man franchise, even though I am a total nut for Andrew Garfield. That is how little interest I had in seeing another Spider-man reboot. But, the reviews for this one got me into the theatre. It was fun. A little longer than I would have liked, but I did enjoy it. I appreciated the motivations for the villain. Nothing seemed too convoluted. I liked "the guy in the chair" and the Zendaya character.
56. LOGAN LUCKY - 08/20/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - I liked this but didn't love it. I wanted it to either steer more into RAISING ARIZONA territory or into HELL OR HIGH WATER territory. Slap-stick or serious? Which one do you want to be? But, I always like a heist movie, even when they aren't great. Plus, Adam Driver was at maximum deliciousness for me in this movie.
57. TRIPLE 9 - 09/01/17 - Showtime - Hell of a cast, but most of the women are woefully underused (like Gal Gadot and Amanda Palmer). Set in Atlanta. Had its moments, especially when the Casey Affleck character takes the lead on the one bust. From the Woody Harrelson character: "The monster has gone digital. Be careful what you Insta-Google-Tweet-Face."
58. WHITNEY. "Can I Be Me?" - 09/04/17 - Showtime documentary - Some great performances from Whitney when she still had the voice. I forgot how much she used to sweat when she would perform. I mean, her whole body must have gone through the wringer when she sang.
59. THE INCREDIBLE JESSICA JAMES - 09/04/17 - Netflix - She's a star and Chris O'Dowd made me fall in love with him ALL over again. The kids theatre group reminded me of the 52nd Street Project. LOVED.
60. THE HOLIDAY - 09/16/17 - Cable - repeat viewing - Jude Law is hot in this movie. Kate Winslet is adorable. And ELI WALLACH is the cuddliest.
61. RICHARD LINKLATER: AMERICAN MASTERS - 09/20/17 - PBS
62. EDGE OF SEVENTEEN - 09/20/17 - Showtime? - Woody Harrelson is perfect in this movie. Everyone hyped up the McConaissance and slept on the Harrelrrection.
63. WHY HIM? - 10/02/17 - HBO - Definitely dumb, but more fun than I thought it would be. Did not hate.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #301 on: October 03, 2017, 10:41:42 AM »

Movies seen in 2017 (new movies in bold):
1. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
2. Assassin's Creed

3. Die Another Day
4. X-Men: Apocalypse
5. Star Trek Beyond
6. Hidden Figures

7. We Bought A Zoo
8. The American President
9. The 'Burbs
10. Suicide Squad
11. Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children
12. Ella Enchanted
13. Hell Or High Water

14. Airplane!
15. Pete's Dragon
16. The Nice Guys

17. M*A*S*H
18. Money Monster
19. Race
20. Logan
21. Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman
22. The Running Man

23. Major League
24. Spring Breakers
25. The Fate of the Furious
26. Jason Bourne

27. The Last Witch Hunter
28. Tombstone
29. Weiner
30. The Karate Kid (1984)
31. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2
32. Kedi
33. The Accountant
34. Underworld: Blood Wars
35. XXX: The Return of Xander Cage
36. Big Trouble in Little China

37. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
38. Wonder Woman
39. Passengers
40. Kubo and the Two Strings
41. The Last Dragonslayer
42. Live By Night
43. The Free State of Jones
44. Baby Driver
45. John Wick: Chapter 2
46. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

47. How To Train Your Dragon
48. Sing Street
49. The Prestige
50. Dunkirk
51. Moana

52. Overboard
53. School of Rock
54. Atomic Blonde
55. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
56. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

57. Tron: Legacy
58. Beauty and the Beast (2017)
59. Hot Fuzz
60. The Founder
61. A Few Good Men
62. The Zookeeper's Wife
63. Colossal
64. Tango & Cash

65. Moneyball
66. The Highlander
67. Wanderlust
68. Tucker and Dale Vs Evil

Enjoyable the 2nd time around.
Katrina Bowden, though, holy cow was she beautiful in this. Just wow.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #302 on: October 04, 2017, 08:38:24 PM »

1. Sherlock Holmes
2. Sherlock Holmes
3. Rogue One
4. Sherlock Holmes
5. Hidden Figures So very very good! I loved how so many elements were blended together. And any one of the women profiled in it could have had her own movie.
6. Moana- got sent home from work due to hazardous fumes in the building, so I went to a matinee! Enjoyed it.
7. The Parent Trap (Original flavor)- Hayley Mills is as cute as a button! The story is still completely ridiculous, but "Let's get together, yeah, yeah, yeah", and I'd completely forgotten that the mom was Maureen O'Hara.
8. The Founder Liked Keaton's performance in this way better than Birdman.
9. Get Out with Lando! Excellent film, and just the right amount of suspense
10. Finding Dory
11. Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
12. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Don't go re-visit your childhood movies. Harrison Ford is still hot, but the movies are not good.
13. Tropic Thunder- still like this movie
14. Keeping Up with the Joneses a surprisingly good movie, though Isla Fisher would never be with Zach Galifanakis. (Sorry, Zach) Funny, solid, a good rental
15. Star Trek- the most recent one It would have been so fun on the big screen, but on my tv it was lacking. Also, very sad to see Anton Yeltsin, knowing what happens. I wonder if Chekov will be written out or recast?
16. Beauty and the Beast (live action) OK, it was good, I liked the expansion of the story, Josh Gad was not annoying as LeFou, I adored Luke Evans as Gaston - the scenery chewing was phenomenal!
17. The Secret Life of Pets That was a much darker movie than I expected! Fun, though.
18. Star Trek- first of the new version. Saw on the plane, forgot that Thor is in this movie (CHemsworth, for 5 minutes as Kirk, Sr)
19. Hot Fuzz- still delightful
20. GotG2 with Lando (did I not put this on here earlier?) Laughed more than anyone else in the theater, and there was just enough Groot. It is what it is, and no more than that.
21. What's Your Number? Needed a Chris Evans fix, after seeing the other Chrises. Remember when Anna Farris was going to be a thing? Yeah, me, too.
22. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- I will keep watching it until everyone comes to #TeamBucky with me.
23. Wonder Woman Hot damn, this was FUN- I forgot it was in the DCU! Yes, it's a superhero movie, and it has flaws, but it ws lovely. The plot is a bit predictable, but seeing a female protagonist lead the charge, not be talked down to, and otherwise being awesome was great.
24. The Mummy well, it wasn't Wonder Woman. It was a good (?) example of female characters existing as plot devices for the men. Specifically Tom Cruise. It was not great, but not the worst thing I've seen, either.
25. Big Trouble in Little China No, I've never seen this, yes, I enjoyed it despite the dated aspects. I can see why there is talk of doing another version.
26. Coming to America So, I'd never seen this, and it was better than I thought it would be for being 30 years old. The story was remarkably sweet, and it is surprising it is rated R- mostly because of language, I think.
27. Dirty Dancing- saw it with some friends, one of whom had never seen it! I can't really evaluate it, since it turns me back into a 12 year old.
28. Spiderman: Homecoming The trailers totally sold me on this one. Tom Holland's version of Spidey is delightful- he's a teen, and distracted by shiny, and trying to do the right things. It integrates nicely into the Marvel Universe, but it wasn't an over the top story.
29. Girls Trip The actresses were great- they lifted an ok script into so much fun. Definitely best seen in a theater with lots of other people.
30. Atomic Blonde I think I got lung cancer from this movie- alllllll the smoking! Charlize was amazing, and MacAvoy was great. I'd love to see a movie with Sophia Boutella where her character doesn't die.
31. Cutting Edge: Two words: toe pick!
32. Meet Me in St. Louis Sweet little movie. Judy Garland sure could sing.
33. Dunkirk Oof. So many of them were just babies. Really good- but I am ok with not watching it again.
34. Moana- I like it better upon rewatch
35. What we do in the Shadows weird, but my kind of weird. This is what I'd be like if I were a vampire, I think. (Also, "we're werewolves, not swearwolves!")
36. Hell or High Water Being poor is a hell of a life sentence. Music was stellar, and the film totally worked.
37. Little Evil A netflix movie where Adam Scott plays stepfather to the Antichrist. I wanted it to be better than it was. Scott needs to pick better projects.
38. GotG2: watched on the plane, so fast forwarded a bit.
39. Captain America: Civil War. Look, I'm not denying I have a problem. Or a favorite Chris. #TeamBucky
40. The Kingsman: The Golden Circle Pure entertainment. I liked the first one better, but this wasn't bad. More plot than I expected, though.

41. The Bronze It was a Duplass movie, which I didn't realize. Bronze-medal olympic gymnast who has competition in her small Ohio town from a new gymnast. Admittedly, I watched it because Sebastian Stan is in a supporting role. It was ok.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #303 on: October 05, 2017, 10:16:34 AM »

1. HAIL, CAESAR - 01/01/17 - cable - I really liked this one, especially since I still had LA LA LAND in my head. I like when Hollywood turns the lens on itself, especially if it's pointed directly at its golden age.
2. MIDNIGHT SPECIAL - 01/01/17 - cable - It is really hard to take your eye off of Michael Shannon when he is on screen. Homedude is magnetic.
3. LOVE THE COOPERS - 01/03/17 - cable - This was just nonsense. But, I liked a couple of things about it, but not enough to recommend it. It definitely won't become a must-watch Christmas movie.
4. EDDIE THE EAGLE - 01/02/17 - cable - I always love a good OLYMPIC DREAM movie. I even love the bad ones. (I'm looking at you, Mitch Gaylord.)
5. MISS SHARON JONES! - 01/07/17 - Netflix - Bittersweet to watch this now, but it was good to spend some time with Miss Jones.
6. BRIGHT LIGHTS: STARRING CARRIE FISHER AND DEBBIE REYNOLDS - 01/08/17 - HBO - Also bittersweet but lovely.
7. TRUTH AND LIES: THE MENENDEZ BROTHERS - 01/08/17 - NBC - Apparently I was on a documentary/real life kick last weekend. I had forgotten a lot of things about this case. I don't think I ever knew about Lyle wearing a hairpiece.
8. HIDDEN FIGURES - 01/17/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - A feel good time at the movie theatre, especially with a packed house (ON A TUESDAY NIGHT!). Great cast and a story that definitely needed to be told. The movie that STEM has needed for a long time. It even got me excited about Math(s) - AND I HATE MATH!
9. KILL BILL VOL. 1 - 01/22/17 - STARZ w/The Greg - repeat viewing - That bamboo water fountain gets me every time. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?
10. KILL BILL VOL. 2 - 01/23/17 - STARZ w/The Greg - repeat viewing - Elle's reaction to being coated in Bud's dip cup slime is priceless.
11. NORMAN LEAR: JUST ANOTHER VERSION OF YOU - 01/21/17 - Netflix - I could watch a whole documentary just about his family.
12. THE NEW EDITION STORY (Parts I, II, and III) - 01/28/17 - BET - I am a huge fan of the group and loved this mini-series. However, it was obviously filmed with no thought given to commercial breaks. They were always abrupt and annoying. Great casting. Loved the way they had the music re-recorded by the new cast and sort of blended with the original recordings.
13. CAROL - 01/28/17 - dvd from library - And now for something completely different...
14. LION - 01/29/17 - Tara Cinema with Amanda - I definitely cried my eyes out again and again during both halves of this movie. Wonderful performances. (DEV PATEL CAN GET IT.)
15. MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING 2 - 02/03/17 - dvd from library with Tori - A few laugh out loud moments, but not necessary viewing.
16. TRUMBO - 02/04/17 - dvd from library - A story worth telling. Needed more Diane Lane.
17. DOCTOR STRANGE - 02/12/17 - cheapy theatre - I think I liked 15% of this movie (anything with Chiwetel Ejiofor). Doctor Strange is a dick.
18. A HARD DAY'S NIGHT - 02/18/17 - TCM - repeat viewing - I hadn't seen it in quite a while. But, I used to watch it nearly weekly when I was in middle school/high school. It was like spending time with a group of old friends. The next time we get a new pet, I want a Richard Starkey. George has always been my favorite. But, I fell in love with Ringo during this viewing.
19. JOHN WICK 2 - 02/19/17 - AMC AVENUE FORSYTH w/The Greg - Couldn't hold a candle to the first one. But, I still enjoyed sections of it (HELLO, COMMON!). The aesthetic was different and not so much to my liking, the plot annoyed me, and I've already seen a much better action movie have a much better battle sequence in a house of mirrors.
20. MANCHESTER BY THE SEA - 02/24/17 - Redbox DVD - The performances from Casey Affleck and the young kid are a helluva thing in this movie. That story is a real heartbreaker.
21. SPA NIGHT - 02/27/17 - Netflix - I wanted to check out one of the Spirit Award winners and was delighted to see that this was on NETFLIX. I liked it for the glimpse into the main character's life. His stress and struggles were INTENSE. But, if you like to have those sorts of things sorted out before the movie ends, I wouldn't recommend this one.
22. GET OUT - 03/05/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - I don't like scary movies. But, this was definitely more in line with being a "social thriller" and I can handle that.
23. WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE - 03/10/17 - TCM - Again, I don't like scary movies. So, I had always avoided this one. But, it's also more of a thriller than horror and I loved it.
24. VICTOR VICTORIA - 03/11/17 - TCM - repeat viewing - Robert Preston's performance is so wonderful in this movie. So much going on, but almost all of it is fantastic.
25. CRISTELA ALONZO: LOWER CLASSY - 03/09/17 - Netflix - I enjoyed her TV show. Her comedy special was just OK.
26. NEAL BRENNAN: 3 MICS - 03/14/17 - Netflix - I thought this was a great idea for a comedy special and he nails all 3 parts/mics.
27. THE HONEYMOON KILLERS - 03/26/17 - TCM - Criterion Collection on TCM in the wee small hours
28. SING - 04/02/17 - Picture Show Marietta - It was cute and fine. A little long. I was most blown away by Taron Egerton. I didn't know he had those pipes.
29. GOING IN STYLE - 04/07/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/my mom - The perfect movie to see at a matinee with my mom. Better than I thought it would be, but still tropey. But, I didn't hate it. I like bank heist movies.
30. HOT PURSUIT - 04/07/17 - Amazong Prime - The WORST movie that I have seen in a loooooooooooooong time. Reese Witherspoon was terrible. TEEEEEEEEEEERRIBLE. Sofia wasn't so awful. But, it's just a horrible movie. How could someone who grew up her whole life in Texas not know what a drawing of a longhorn looks like?
31. 20TH CENTURY WOMEN - 04/08/17 - Redbox - Wonderful performances all around. Great music.
32. NOCTURNAL ANIMALS - 04/09/17 - Redbox- This one sucked me in but my mom did NOT care for it. The main action scene of the movie was straight-up terrifying.
33. EVERYBODY WANTS SOME! - 04/29/17 - Amazon Prime - repeat viewing (w/Aimz during her visit)
34. SAUSAGE PARTY - 05/04/17 - Netflix - I don't think I'll ever be able to look at a bagel as I did before seeing this movie.
35. STRIKE A POSE - 05/12/17 - Netflix - This is a documentary about the 7 main dancers from Madonna's BLOND AMBITION tour (who were heavily featured in the TRUTH OR DARE movie). I think I watched TRUTH OR DARE about a billion times in junior high and high school. These guys felt like friends, or at least like the cool kids who I wished I could be around. I knew them ALL by name. It was so great to see all of them again. Seeing that they all still dance seriously made me cry as did hearing their journeys over the last 25 years.
36. GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, VOL. 2 - 05/15/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious, The Greg, and Victor - You get a daddy issue! And YOU get a daddy issue! And YOU get a couple of daddy issues! I think va_vacious laughed louder and more often than anyone in the theatre. The jokes were corny and in our wheelhouse. Good stuff. Hilarious cameo.  I'd probably find a way to shave off about 15-20 minutes from the running time. Also, I LOVE YOU, KURT RUSSELL.
37. CLOSET MONSTER - Netflix - I watched this in bits until finally finishing it recently. I liked some of it and I can sorta recommend it if you are interested in seeing a hamster voiced by Isabella Rosselini. But, it's kind of a tough movie to watch in spots (it includes one of the most brutal sexual assaults I've ever seen on screen). I did enjoy the main actor's performance (he was also very good in AMERICAN CRIME this season).
38. BAYWATCH - 05/28/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Beth - I thought it would be fun-dumb but it was just dumb-dumb.
39. PATERSON - 05/26/17 - Redbox - I love Jim Jarmusch. I love Adam Driver. I love anything black & white. I loved seeing Chidi in something other than THE GOOD PLACE. An English bulldog named Marvin as an arch-nemesis is aces in my book. Worth the rental or viewing if you also love those things.
40. CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR - 06/01/17 - Netflix - I kept holding off on watching this because I had never seen WINTER SOLDIER. But, I got enough info from the beginning to follow along and enjoy this one. I might go back and watch WINTER SOLDIER someday because Bucky is FOINE. Totally forgot Chadwick Boseman was in this one. I loved his character and can't wait to see his movie!
41. KUBO & THE TWO STRINGS - 06/02/17 - Netflix - repeat viewing - "If you must blink, do it NOW!"
42. INFERNO - 06/05/17 - dvd from library w/Norton - The Greg always watches those DAVINCI CODE movies when they come on. So, I thought I'd get this for him from the library. It might be the worst movie we have ever watched together. We nearly stopped watching it, but we were almost to the end and figured we'd push through. IT.WAS.SO.AWFUL.
43. WONDER WOMAN - 06/09/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Vizz and friends - Loved the first 1/4, liked the 2nd and 3rd quarters, and fell asleep during the final 1/4.
44. THE MUMMY - 06/13/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va-vacious - I liked this much more than I thought that I would based on the scathing reviews it has been receiving. It had some dumb moments but it was still a fun action/horror ("Dark Universe") movie. Lots of great practical effects instead of relying solely on CGI-stuff. Tom Cruise may be a little too "extra" for a lot of people but he puts in the work to bring us the goods. His character gave me a Jack Colton (from ROMANCING THE STONE) vibe and that can never rub me the wrong way. I love Annabelle Wallis on PEAKY BLINDERS but she seemed a little too cold in this movie. Russell Crowe did some great stuff. Jake Johnson was the comedic relief that I didn't really need. I'll stop here because I've already written more about THE MUMMY than anyone wants to read.
45. MAGGIE'S PLAN - 06/16/17 - Showtime (I think) - The trailer basically gave away the whole movie. But, I'll happily spend time with Greta Gerwig and Bill Hader anytime. Greta Gerwig = this generation's Diane Keaton.
46. OH HELLO ON BROADWAY - 06/17/17 - A delight, even with such a long running time. I wish they had included some footage from other special guests during their Broadway run. TUNA. CURTAIN.
47. RUNNING SCARED - 07/01/17 - cable - repeat viewing - The idea of casting Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines as grizzled Chicago detectives is HILARIOUS. But, it just WORKS in the 80s. The section that they spend down in the Keys is just THE BEST.
48. BABY DRIVER - 07/05/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - Totally wanted to do donuts in the parking lot after watching the movie. Not perfect but a hell of a lot of FUN. All of the Oscars for sound editing and design! Also, it's ridiculous that stunt coordinators don't get Academy Awards. BTW - I squealed when I saw who was playing the role of The Butcher! LOVE!!!!!
49. BEING CARY GRANT - 07/08/17 - Showtime? - Mostly dull, but it's not their fault that Cary gave so few interviews and stayed out of the public eye.
50. LOVE BY CHANCE - 07/09/17 - Hallmark - I haven't watched one of these in a while. I thought this one was cute and was drawn in because the main guy looked a lot like Rob Delaney and I'm going through CATASTROPHE withdrawals.
51. THE BIG SICK - 07/16/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - Can I keep Holly Hunter in my pocket? PLEEEEEEEASE.
52. GIRLS NIGHT - 07/31/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va-vacious - This was so much fun! Silly bits, emotional bits, and Kofi Siriboe's bits.
53. ATOMIC BLONDE - 07/31/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va-vacious, Beth, and Gwynne - SEXXXY as all get out. Didn't make much sense, but it looked great. Some of the best hand-to-hand action sequences since early BOURNE stuff. My movie boyfriends, James McAvoy and John Goodman, made me happy when they were on screen.
55. SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING - 08/13/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Victor - I skipped the last installment of the Spider-man franchise, even though I am a total nut for Andrew Garfield. That is how little interest I had in seeing another Spider-man reboot. But, the reviews for this one got me into the theatre. It was fun. A little longer than I would have liked, but I did enjoy it. I appreciated the motivations for the villain. Nothing seemed too convoluted. I liked "the guy in the chair" and the Zendaya character.
56. LOGAN LUCKY - 08/20/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - I liked this but didn't love it. I wanted it to either steer more into RAISING ARIZONA territory or into HELL OR HIGH WATER territory. Slap-stick or serious? Which one do you want to be? But, I always like a heist movie, even when they aren't great. Plus, Adam Driver was at maximum deliciousness for me in this movie.
57. TRIPLE 9 - 09/01/17 - Showtime - Hell of a cast, but most of the women are woefully underused (like Gal Gadot and Amanda Palmer). Set in Atlanta. Had its moments, especially when the Casey Affleck character takes the lead on the one bust. From the Woody Harrelson character: "The monster has gone digital. Be careful what you Insta-Google-Tweet-Face."
58. WHITNEY. "Can I Be Me?" - 09/04/17 - Showtime documentary - Some great performances from Whitney when she still had the voice. I forgot how much she used to sweat when she would perform. I mean, her whole body must have gone through the wringer when she sang.
59. THE INCREDIBLE JESSICA JAMES - 09/04/17 - Netflix - She's a star and Chris O'Dowd made me fall in love with him ALL over again. The kids theatre group reminded me of the 52nd Street Project. LOVED.
60. THE HOLIDAY - 09/16/17 - Cable - repeat viewing - Jude Law is hot in this movie. Kate Winslet is adorable. And ELI WALLACH is the cuddliest.
62. EDGE OF SEVENTEEN - 09/20/17 - Showtime? - Woody Harrelson is perfect in this movie. Everyone hyped up the McConaissance and slept on the Harrelrrection.
63. WHY HIM? - 10/02/17 - HBO - Definitely dumb, but more fun than I thought it would be. Did not hate.
64. GAGA: FIVE FOOT TWO - 10/04/17 - Netflix - I've mostly been indifferent to Gaga, but this documentary definitely held my interest. Great build-up to her Super Bowl performance (which I loved). Lots of Mark Ronson and he is NEVER bad to look at.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 01:33:51 PM by c-lando »

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #304 on: October 06, 2017, 07:32:56 AM »

1. The Lobster - 6
2. Manchester by the Sea - 9
3. St. Vincent - 7
4. American Ultra - 6
5. It Follows - 6
6. The Neon Demon - 6
7. The Founder - 6
8. Bad Moms - 7
9. I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House - 3
10. Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills - 5
11. The Wolfpack - 5
12. Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead: The Story of The National Lampoon - 8
13. Split - 6
14. Brother's Keeper - 9
15. National Lampoon's Animal House
16. Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me - 9
17. Sun Choke - 8
18. Holy Hell - 7
19. 10 Cloverfield Lane - 7
20. 13th - 8
21. "Manos": The Hands of Fate - MST3K on Netflix
22. Beauty and the Beast (2017) - 5
23. Tower - 8
24. The Discovery - 3
25. The Seven Five - 8
26. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - 7
27. Oklahoma City - 7
28. Night Will Fall - n/a
29. Spotlight - 6
30. GLOW: The Story of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling - 7
31. Christine (2016) - 9
32. The Cutting Edge - 4
33. Mindhorn - 8
34. Wonder Woman - 7
35. Moonlight - 9
36. 47 Meters Down - 5
37. Moana - 8
38. Get Out - 9
39. The House - 3
40. Mommy Dead and Dearest - 9
41. Baby Driver - 8
42. Necessary Roughness
43. Spiderman: Homecoming - 7
44. Dunkirk - 8
45. Beware the Slenderman - 6
46. Hail, Caesar! - 6
47. Broadcast News
48. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - 7
49. There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane - 8
50. Logan Lucky - 8
51. The Visit - 5
52. The Void - 6
53. IT (2017) - 7
54. Little Evil - 3
55. IT
56. Heroin(e) - 7
57. Strong Island - 6
58. XX - 5

59. Demonic - 7

Solid if unspectacular cross between a police procedural and a "some kids spend some time in a haunted house with cameras" genre.  And Maria Bello is in it, and she's usually good (and is here).

60. Krisha - 8

Devastating family drama that is almost shot like a horror film.  Writer/director Trey Edward Shults plays himself as a secondary character, but it is most definitely Krisha (her real name, and his real aunt) that shines here.  Even when you don't know where it's going, the directing and action around the main character keep things pretty mesmerizing.  And when "GiGi" (grandma) shows up, well that's when things really start to get fun.  Or not fun.

Krisha is amazing in this... she deserves to work A LOT, but I'm sure she won't, because Hollywood.  And Shults already had his second feature, IT COMES AT NIGHT, in theaters.

61. The Handmaiden - 8

Intensely erotic feature from the guy that brought you the slightly more insane OLDBOY.  It checks all the boxes you think it would from the guy that wrote OLDBOY.  Twists, missing body parts, profanity.  Just see it, it's really good.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #305 on: October 09, 2017, 08:36:14 AM »

64. GAGA: FIVE FOOT TWO - 10/04/17 - Netflix - I've mostly been indifferent to Gaga, but this documentary definitely held my interest. Great build-up to her Super Bowl performance (which I loved). Lots of Mark Ronson and he is NEVER bad to look at.
65. BLADE RUNNER 2049 - 10/06/17 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Amanda - Villeneuve was very comfy in that world. GORGEOUS.
66. WHO'S THAT GIRL - 10/08/17 - TCM Underground - Madge does her best Lori Petty meets Pee-Wee Herman impersonation and Griffin Dunne looks 50% hotter than usual.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #306 on: October 09, 2017, 09:16:46 AM »

2. Assassin's Creed

3. Die Another Day
5. Star Trek Beyond
6. Hidden Figures

7. We Bought A Zoo
9. The 'Burbs
10. Suicide Squad
12. Ella Enchanted
13. Hell Or High Water

14. Airplane!
15. Pete's Dragon
16. The Nice Guys

17. M*A*S*H
18. Money Monster
19. Race
20. Logan
22. The Running Man

23. Major League
24. Spring Breakers
26. Jason Bourne

28. Tombstone
29. Weiner
32. Kedi
33. The Accountant

38. Wonder Woman
39. Passengers
42. Live By Night
44. Baby Driver

48. Sing Street
49. The Prestige
50. Dunkirk
51. Moana

52. Overboard
53. School of Rock
54. Atomic Blonde

59. Hot Fuzz
60. The Founder
61. A Few Good Men
62. The Zookeeper's Wife
63. Colossal
64. Tango & Cash

65. Moneyball
66. The Highlander
67. Wanderlust
69. Blade Runner 2049

I thought Blade Runner was pretty good. My wife loved it. It won't be the classic that the first one was, but it was an appropriate follow up.

Butter

• City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #307 on: October 09, 2017, 12:48:50 PM »

1. The Lobster - 6
3. St. Vincent - 7
4. American Ultra - 6
5. It Follows - 6
6. The Neon Demon - 6
7. The Founder - 6
8. Bad Moms - 7
11. The Wolfpack - 5
13. Split - 6
14. Brother's Keeper - 9
17. Sun Choke - 8
18. Holy Hell - 7
20. 13th - 8
23. Tower - 8
24. The Discovery - 3
25. The Seven Five - 8
27. Oklahoma City - 7
29. Spotlight - 6
31. Christine (2016) - 9
32. The Cutting Edge - 4
33. Mindhorn - 8
34. Wonder Woman - 7
35. Moonlight - 9
36. 47 Meters Down - 5
37. Moana - 8
38. Get Out - 9
39. The House - 3
41. Baby Driver - 8
42. Necessary Roughness
44. Dunkirk - 8
46. Hail, Caesar! - 6
47. Broadcast News
50. Logan Lucky - 8
51. The Visit - 5
52. The Void - 6
53. IT (2017) - 7
54. Little Evil - 3
55. IT
56. Heroin(e) - 7
57. Strong Island - 6
58. XX - 5
59. Demonic - 7
60. Krisha - 8
61. The Handmaiden - 8

62. I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore - 8

Maybe I didn't love this quite as much as I loved BLUE RUIN (a film that the director of this starred in), but it is still very good.  I love Melanie Lynskey and Elijah Wood, and they're both really good in it.  Take that, some really good dialogue, a non-standard plot, and some very black humor (there are jokes being made during the climax that are funny but don't manage to come off joke-y or out of place).  And it's maybe 90 minutes, so the pace is quite good as well.  Another Netflix original.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #308 on: October 09, 2017, 01:36:18 PM »

Maybe I didn't love this quite as much as I loved BLUE RUIN (a film that the director of this starred in), but it is still very good.  I love Melanie Lynskey and Elijah Wood, and they're both really good in it.  Take that, some really good dialogue, a non-standard plot, and some very black humor (there are jokes being made during the climax that are funny but don't manage to come off joke-y or out of place).  And it's maybe 90 minutes, so the pace is quite good as well.  Another Netflix original.
NICE! I've never heard of this one. But, you know that I share that soft-spot for Melanie Lynskey with you. Must watch!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #309 on: October 11, 2017, 09:47:59 AM »

2. Assassin's Creed

3. Die Another Day
5. Star Trek Beyond
6. Hidden Figures

7. We Bought A Zoo
9. The 'Burbs
10. Suicide Squad
12. Ella Enchanted
13. Hell Or High Water

14. Airplane!
15. Pete's Dragon
16. The Nice Guys

17. M*A*S*H
18. Money Monster
19. Race
20. Logan
22. The Running Man

23. Major League
24. Spring Breakers
26. Jason Bourne

28. Tombstone
29. Weiner
32. Kedi
33. The Accountant

38. Wonder Woman
39. Passengers
42. Live By Night
44. Baby Driver

48. Sing Street
49. The Prestige
50. Dunkirk
51. Moana

52. Overboard
53. School of Rock
54. Atomic Blonde

59. Hot Fuzz
60. The Founder
61. A Few Good Men
62. The Zookeeper's Wife
63. Colossal
64. Tango & Cash

65. Moneyball
66. The Highlander
67. Wanderlust
69. Blade Runner 2049
70. Baby Driver

Just as good the 2nd time around. I caught a lot more little things in the film so that was a nice bonus.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #310 on: October 15, 2017, 08:37:52 PM »

1. North By Northwest (1959 - TCM)
2. Office Rules (1999 - Comedy Channel)
3. Vertigo (1958 - TCM)
4. Lion (AMC Merchant Crossing, Ft Myers, FL)
5. Inside Daisy Clover (1965 - TCM)
6. Fences (AMC Merchant Crossing, FT. Myers, FL)
7. East of Eden (1955 - TCM)
8. By Sydney Lumet (PBS)
9. Heaven Can Wait (1978 - TCM)
10. Annie Hall (1977 - TCM)
11. Why Him? (AMC Merchant Crossing, FT. Myers, FL)
12. The Breakup (Comedy Channel)
13. Hidden Figures (AMC Merchant Crossing, Ft. Myers, FL)
14. Live By Night (Esquire Theatre)
15. Patriots Day (Cinemark Oakley)
16. Things to Come (Esquire Theater)
17. Silence (AMC Newport on the Levee)
18. 20th Century Women (Mariemont Theater)
19. Paterson (Esquire Theater)
20. The Founder (Esquire Theater)
21. This Was the XFL (ESPN 30 for 30)
22. Julieta (Esquire Theater)
23. Sausage Party (DVD)
24. Memoria (DVD)
25. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates (DVD)
26. Fever at Dawn (Jewish & Israeli Film Festival @ Mariemont Theater)
27. Oklahoma City (PBS)
28. Born to Be Blue (DVD)
29. The Last Mentsch (Jewish & Israeli Film Festival @ Mariemont Theater)
30. The Salesman (Esquire Theater)
31. John Wick 2 (Cinemark Oakley)
32. The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956 - TCM)
33. I Am Not Your Negro (Esquire Theater)
34. Britney Ever After (Lifetime Channel)
35. A Cure for Wellness (AMC Newport on the Levee)
36. Time to Say Goodbye (Jewish & Israeli Film Festival @ Mariemont Theater)
37. A.K.A. Nadia (Jewish & Israeli Film Festival @ Esquire Theater)
38. Toni Erdmann (Mariemont Theater)
39. Neruda (Esquire Theater)
40. Kedi (Esquire Theater)
41. Table 19 (AMC West Chester)
42. Mediterranea (DVD)
43. Kong: Skull Island (Cinemark Oakley)
44. My Life As A Zucchini (Mariemont Theater)
45. Land of Mine (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
46. Get Out (Cinemark Oakley)
47. Donald Cried (Esquire Theater)
48. The Red Turtle (AMC Newport on the Levee)
49. T2 Trainspotting (Esquire Theater)
50. Song to Song (Esquire Theater)
51. The Last Word (Mariemont Theater)
52. Life (AMC Newport on the Levee)
53. Personal Shopper (Esquire Theater)
54. Fracture (HBO)
55. The Zookeeper's Wife (Esquire Theater)
56. The Belko Experiment (AMC Newport on the Levee)
57. Anesthesia (Starsz)
58. The Devotion of Suspect X (AMC Newport on the Levee)
59. CHiP (AMC Newport on the Levee)
60. Queen of the Desert (AMC Newport on the Levee)
61. Star Wars - The Force Awakens (Starsz)
62. Raw (Esquire Theater)
63. Frantz (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
64. Tommy's Honour (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
65. The Lost City of Z (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
66. Free Fire (Regal Belltower Stadium, Ft. Myers, FL)
67. Colossal (AMN Newport on the Levee)
68. Their Finest (Esquire Theater)
69. Dirty Grandpa (Epix)
70. Truman (Esquire Theater)
71. Graduation (Mariemont Theater)
72. Sleight (AMC Newport on the Levee)
73. The Wall (Esquire Theater)
74. Terminator: Genesys (Epix)
75. God Knows I'm Here (Esquire Theater)
76. Dressed to Kill (Showtime)
77. Sicario (Epix)
78. Disturbing the Peace (Esquire Theater)
79. Norman: The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer (Mariemont Theater)
80. Alien: Covenant (Cinemark Oakley)
81. Citizen Jane: Battle for the City (Esquire Theater)
82. The Exorcist (Cinemax)
83. Jason Bourne (HBO)
84. Wakefield (Landmark E Street Cinema, Washington DC)
85. Obit (Landmark E Street Cinema, Washington DC)
86. The Commune (Landmark E Street Cinema, Washington, DC)
87. Suicide Squad (HBO)
88. X-Men: Apocalypse (HBO)
89. Jeremiah Tower: The Last Magnificent (Esquire Theatre)
90. Cezanne et Moi (Esquire Theater)
91. Chuck (Esquire Theater)
92. Churchill (Esquire Theater)
93. The Mummy (Cinemark Oakley)
94. My Cousin Rachel (Mariemont Theater)
95. The Doors (Epix)
96. Open Waters (SHO)
97. Paris Can Wait (Mariemont Theater)
98. A Quiet Passion (Esquire Theater)
99. 47 Meters Down (AMC Newport on the Levee)
100. The Wedding Plan (Mariemont Theater)
101. Blow Out (Epix)
102. The Terminator (Cinemax)
103. The Hero (AMC Newport on the Levee)
104. Beatriz at Dinner (Esquire Theater)
105. M-I 5 (Cinemax)
106. The Exception (Esquire Theater)
107. Wet Hot American Summer (Starz)
108. Becoming Carey Grant (SHO)
109. Band Aid (Esquire Theater)
110. Baby Drive (Cinemark Oakley)
111. Inconceivable (Pierce Point)
112. It Comes At Night (Springdale Cinema de Lux)
113. The Beguiled (Mariemont Theater)
114. The Big Sick (Esquire Theater)
115. All Those Sleepless Nights (Esquire Theater)
116. I, Daniel Blake (Esquire Theater)
117. War For the Planet of the Apes (Cinemark Oakley)
118. Saturday Night Fever (Esquire Theater)
119. Blade Runner (DVD)
120. Dunkirk (Cinemark Oakley)
121. Dunkirk (Cinemark Oakley)
122. Atomic Blonde (Cinemark Oakley)
123. Die Another Day (Starz)
124. Maudie (Mariemont Theater)
125. Lost In Paris (Mariemont Theater)
126. Everybody Wants Some!! (Epix)
127. Lady MacBeth (Esquire Theater)
128. Landline (Esquire Theater)
129. Detroit (Cinemark Oakley)
130. Deepwater Horizone (Epix)
131. Risk (SHO)
132. The Glass Castle (Cinemark Oakley)
133. The Women's Balcony (Mariemont Theater)
134. 13 Minutes (Mariemont Theater)
135. Wind River (Esquire Theater)
136. City of Ghosts (Esquire Theater)
137. The Little Hours (Esquire Theater)
138. Just Like Our Parents (Cartoons Cinema, Antwerp, BEL)
139. The Big Sick (UGC Cinema, Antwerp, BEL
140. The Dark Tower (Pathe Cinema, Tilburg, NL)
141. Tulip Fever (UGC Cinema, Antwerp, BEL)
142. 120 battements par minute (UGC Cinema, Antwerp, BEL)
143. Patti Cake$ (UGC Cinema, Antwerp, BEL)
144. Seven Sisters (UGC Cinema, Antwerp, BEL)
145. The Witness (Delta Inflight)
146. Good Time (Esquire Theater)
147. Ingrid Goes West (Mariemont Theater)
148. I Do... Until I Don't (Esquire Theater)
149. Menashe (Mariemont Theater)
150. Crown Heights (Esquire Theater)
151. Beach Rats (Esquire Theater)
152. Mother! (Cinemark Oakley)
Catching up on the last 4 weeks (movies seen in the theater in bold)

153. Moka (Esquire Theater)
154. Brad's Status (Mariemont Theater)
155. The Vietnam War (PBS)
156. Woodshock (Esquire Theater)
157. American Made (Cinemark Oakley)
158. Rebel in the Rye (Mariemont Theater)
159. Blade Runner 2049 (Cinemark Oakley)
160. Spielberg (HBO)
161. Alien (Max)
162. Happy Death Day (Cinemark Oakley)
163. Lucky (Esquire Theater)

Let's start with Happy Death Day, which opened this weekend. It's basically a resetting of Groundhog Day for the horror genre: college girl gets killed at the end of each day and instantly wakes up to relieve the day. (Eventually she figures it all out, of course). I had no intention of going to see this. Then, as fate would have it, earlier this week I shared an Uber from LaGuardia to Manhattan with a guy, who as it turns out wrote this very movie! (Scott Lobdell). We talked quite a bit during our 45 min. drive into the city, and now of course I just had to go see it. It's actually quite a bit better than I had expected.

Spielberg is a 2 1/2 hr. documentary about Steven Spielberg. If you love movies, it's must-see, period. Divorce/broken families and Jewishness are 2 central themes in Spielberg's life (and his movies).

Lucky brings the towering final performance of Harry Dean Stanton, who passed away just last month at age 91. I am certain this will get a posthumous Best Actor Oscar nomination, if not win it.

Rebel in the Rye is a very bland biopic of JD Salinger's early years. Do not waste your time with this, even if it's for free.

Woodshock looked very intriguing (Kirsten Dunst, grief) but turned out to be an aimless movie that goes absolutely nowhere. Avoid!

Brad's Status is an okay movie about a dad (Ben Stiller) going on a college-shopping tour with his 17 yr. old son.

I've already commented on Blade Runner 2049. I'll probably go see it again before it disappears from the theater. I have to see I'm surprised how it completely tanked at the box office. This is such a great movie!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #311 on: October 16, 2017, 10:28:40 AM »

2. Assassin's Creed

3. Die Another Day
5. Star Trek Beyond
6. Hidden Figures

7. We Bought A Zoo
9. The 'Burbs
10. Suicide Squad
12. Ella Enchanted
13. Hell Or High Water

14. Airplane!
15. Pete's Dragon
16. The Nice Guys

17. M*A*S*H
18. Money Monster
19. Race
20. Logan
22. The Running Man

23. Major League
24. Spring Breakers
26. Jason Bourne

28. Tombstone
29. Weiner
32. Kedi
33. The Accountant

38. Wonder Woman
39. Passengers
42. Live By Night
44. Baby Driver

48. Sing Street
49. The Prestige
50. Dunkirk
51. Moana

52. Overboard
53. School of Rock
54. Atomic Blonde

59. Hot Fuzz
60. The Founder
61. A Few Good Men
62. The Zookeeper's Wife
63. Colossal
64. Tango & Cash

65. Moneyball
66. The Highlander
67. Wanderlust
69. Blade Runner 2049
70. Baby Driver
71. The Incredibles
72. Erin Brockovich

Incredibles: Edna really is the greatest character, isn't she?

Erin Brockovich: Wow that was really good. And duh, that's what everyone said when it came out. I don't know why I hadn't seen it yet but I'm glad I have now.

Butter

• City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #312 on: October 17, 2017, 07:34:12 AM »

1. The Lobster - 6
3. St. Vincent - 7
4. American Ultra - 6
5. It Follows - 6
6. The Neon Demon - 6
7. The Founder - 6
8. Bad Moms - 7
11. The Wolfpack - 5
13. Split - 6
14. Brother's Keeper - 9
17. Sun Choke - 8
18. Holy Hell - 7
20. 13th - 8
23. Tower - 8
24. The Discovery - 3
25. The Seven Five - 8
27. Oklahoma City - 7
29. Spotlight - 6
31. Christine (2016) - 9
32. The Cutting Edge - 4
33. Mindhorn - 8
34. Wonder Woman - 7
35. Moonlight - 9
36. 47 Meters Down - 5
37. Moana - 8
38. Get Out - 9
39. The House - 3
41. Baby Driver - 8
42. Necessary Roughness
44. Dunkirk - 8
46. Hail, Caesar! - 6
47. Broadcast News
50. Logan Lucky - 8
51. The Visit - 5
52. The Void - 6
53. IT (2017) - 7
54. Little Evil - 3
55. IT
56. Heroin(e) - 7
57. Strong Island - 6
58. XX - 5
59. Demonic - 7
60. Krisha - 8
61. The Handmaiden - 8

63. Mother - 7

Korean movie about a young man who is a bit slow and his very protective mother.  I didn't know what to expect at all going into this, and it was better that way.  It's kind of a suspense movie, if that helps.  I figure no one's going to see it at this point, it had been in my Netflix queue for like 3 years.

64. Why Him? - 7

Cast elevates it above typical "Meet the Parents"-type films.  Although they may have played it a little too straight.  Megan Mullally was particularly funny, throwing out the occasional comment/jibe that usually elicited a laugh.  Enjoyed more than I thought I would.

Butter

• City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #313 on: October 23, 2017, 07:49:11 AM »

1. The Lobster - 6
3. St. Vincent - 7
4. American Ultra - 6
5. It Follows - 6
6. The Neon Demon - 6
7. The Founder - 6
8. Bad Moms - 7
11. The Wolfpack - 5
13. Split - 6
14. Brother's Keeper - 9
17. Sun Choke - 8
18. Holy Hell - 7
20. 13th - 8
23. Tower - 8
24. The Discovery - 3
25. The Seven Five - 8
27. Oklahoma City - 7
29. Spotlight - 6
31. Christine (2016) - 9
32. The Cutting Edge - 4
33. Mindhorn - 8
34. Wonder Woman - 7
35. Moonlight - 9
36. 47 Meters Down - 5
37. Moana - 8
38. Get Out - 9
39. The House - 3
41. Baby Driver - 8
42. Necessary Roughness
44. Dunkirk - 8
46. Hail, Caesar! - 6
47. Broadcast News
50. Logan Lucky - 8
51. The Visit - 5
52. The Void - 6
53. IT (2017) - 7
54. Little Evil - 3
55. IT
56. Heroin(e) - 7
57. Strong Island - 6
58. XX - 5
59. Demonic - 7
60. Krisha - 8
61. The Handmaiden - 8
63. Mother - 7
64. Why Him? - 7

65. Oh, Hello on Broadway - 7

Too many lulls, but enough laughs to recommend... basically only if you're familiar with the characters.  Otherwise, it's like being dropped into the woods without a map.

66. Long Shot - 7

40 min. Netflix doc about a man accused of murder and how he almost goes away for life thanks to one sketchy eyewitness and lack of an alibi.  The alibi he has is a public one, except nobody that was there remembers this guy being there.  But, confirmation could come from an unlikely source...

67. Cabin Fever - 3

Horror movie with few scares and bad acting.  Lot of body horror, though, so I guess if you're into that it's something.

68. Okja - 4

Ham-fisted (ha!) anti-meat film about a mutated Superpig and the lengths to which a multi-national conglomerate will go to get it accepted by the public.  Oh and the little girl that loves one.  Also, the Animal Liberation Front.  Plus, Tilda Swinton in a dual role (I feel like that is a baseline for a Swinton appearance now, it must be in her contract to play a dual role, or to have makeup that renders her as unrecognizable as possible).  It was fine, but really poorly written.

69. American Made - 8

Very enjoyable film featuring a terrible Tom Cruise southern accent.  It's almost too upbeat considering the subject matter.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 07:51:09 AM by Butter »

Butter

• City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #314 on: October 25, 2017, 07:33:59 AM »

1. The Lobster - 6
3. St. Vincent - 7
4. American Ultra - 6
5. It Follows - 6
6. The Neon Demon - 6
7. The Founder - 6
8. Bad Moms - 7
11. The Wolfpack - 5
13. Split - 6
14. Brother's Keeper - 9
17. Sun Choke - 8
18. Holy Hell - 7
20. 13th - 8
23. Tower - 8
24. The Discovery - 3
25. The Seven Five - 8
27. Oklahoma City - 7
29. Spotlight - 6
31. Christine (2016) - 9
32. The Cutting Edge - 4
33. Mindhorn - 8
34. Wonder Woman - 7
35. Moonlight - 9
36. 47 Meters Down - 5
37. Moana - 8
38. Get Out - 9
39. The House - 3
41. Baby Driver - 8
42. Necessary Roughness
44. Dunkirk - 8
46. Hail, Caesar! - 6
47. Broadcast News
50. Logan Lucky - 8
51. The Visit - 5
52. The Void - 6
53. IT (2017) - 7
54. Little Evil - 3
55. IT
56. Heroin(e) - 7
57. Strong Island - 6
58. XX - 5
59. Demonic - 7
60. Krisha - 8
61. The Handmaiden - 8
63. Mother - 7
64. Why Him? - 7
65. Oh, Hello on Broadway - 7
66. Long Shot - 7
67. Cabin Fever - 3
68. Okja - 4
69. American Made - 8

70. Inside Llewyn Davis - 7

You know what's inside Llewyn Davis?  Not much.

71. Halloween (1978)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26   Go Up