Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 books for 2017  (Read 1625 times)

daytime drinking

• City Elder
50 books for 2017
« on: January 09, 2017, 09:49:01 AM »

1- the devil in the white city- erik lawson.  still seems impossible the world's fair in chicago was put on let alone a huge success.  seemed at every corner some integral person was dying or some lake michigan tempest was flaring.  they quite possibly don't make 'em like they used to.  i sensed some howard roark from the fountainhead in louis sullivan, but it turns out i was wrong, completely, but on the right track, why not.  howard roark was perhaps modeled after sullivan's protege frank lloyd wright.  as riveting as the fair and it's unprecedented completion was, i couldn't wait to read what that ole serial killer was up to.  what a bastard! 

poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: 50 books for 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 03:21:27 PM »

It's pretty well known that Rand was inspired by Wright's architecture; she has said as much and also that she was a huge fan.  Wright actually designed a house for her, though it never got built.

Wright himself though-- personally, politically, and in his architectural vision-- was the furthest thing from Rand.  He was really kind of a hippie/beatnik.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 06:53:08 PM »

sounds about right.  what drew me to the sullivan comparison was how he objected the recycling of classical architecture in favor of the novel concept of thinking for yourself, which is what roark aspired to
poach eggs, not elephants

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 10:12:54 AM »

1. The People's House - David Pepper

Pepper is a Cincinnati lad who was a city councilman during the 2001 riots and became a member of the 3-person Hamilton County Commission in 2006. He was nominated twice by Ohio Democrats to run for state office (Auditor and AG) so he knows his stuff politically and the book he's written - while fiction - certainly has the prints of someone who knows his way around government and media. The book highlights one of his major campaign points: Gerrymandering. But also so much more.

The book follows a jaded politics reporter from Akron whose interest is piqued by an election result that doesn't make sense. His investigation leads far beyond the small Ohio community where the oddity is discovered. It seems someone stole the election! And surprise - he's Russian!

The book came out before the 2016 presidential election, but wow, there are a lot of similarities.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 05:13:05 PM »

Pepper is a Cincinnati lad who was a city councilman during the 2001 riots and became a member of the 3-person Hamilton County Commission in 2006. He was nominated twice by Ohio Democrats to run for state office (Auditor and AG) so he knows his stuff politically and the book he's written - while fiction - certainly has the prints of someone who knows his way around government and media. The book highlights one of his major campaign points: Gerrymandering. But also so much more.

The book follows a jaded politics reporter from Akron whose interest is piqued by an election result that doesn't make sense. His investigation leads far beyond the small Ohio community where the oddity is discovered. It seems someone stole the election! And surprise - he's Russian!

The book came out before the 2016 presidential election, but wow, there are a lot of similarities.
MK, not sure if you're aware, but Pepper lived in St. Petersburg for several years sometime in the 90s before he returned to Cincinnati (in private law practice) and then a few years later he decided to enter politics. I have not read this book, but he knows a thing or two about Russian and Russians obviously.

My impression now of Pepper's political career is that, given the enormous name recognition he has around here (being the son of John Pepper, the beloved erstwhile CEO (twice, no less) of P&G), David's early days showed lots of promise. And then it all fizzled out, or at least he couldn't expand beyond local politics. Two runs for statewide office, two heavy defeats. I'm sure that's not what he had in mind. These days he's the Chair of the Ohio Democratic Party. Kind of a shame, if you ask me. But apparently it's given him enough free time to write this book.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 08:50:51 AM »

Yeah, I knew about his stint in St. Petersburg (and it's listed in his bio inside the book) and everything he has written in the book is very plausible. Scarily so.

It was a fairly easy read, kept me entertained and interested. His political career might have stalled but I think he's got a decent chance at being a full-time author. I chose it for our building's monthly book club (March, I think) so I may report back with what others thought of it.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 11:16:43 PM »

1.  The Nazi Officer's Wife: How One Jewish Woman Survived the Holocaust--Edith Hahn Beer
2.  Tragedy Girl--Christine Hurley Deriso
3.  Dear Amy--Helen Callaghan
4.  Highly Illogical Behavior--John Corey Whaley
5.  The Serpent King--Jeff Zentner
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 08:49:15 AM »

1. "Near Enemy: A Spademan Novel" - Adam Sternbergh
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 02:16:02 PM »

2. Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking - Anya Von Bremzen

Entertaining and enlightening book about Russian/Soviet food from the turn of the 20th century through today. The author was born and raised in Moscow but 'defected' with her mother in the 1970s at the age of 11. Her memories - and those of her mother - embroider the stories with harsh truths and even harsher lessons. It's not a book for everyone, but I fucking loved it.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 10:34:25 AM »

1. Jim Bouton - Ball Four

Ball Four was my favorite book ever and I thought I should read it again to see if my tastes have changed or I have matured or the book hasn't aged well or anything like that. Turns out....it's still my favorite book! I thoroughly enjoyed rereading it and since it had been over 10 years since the last reading and I had forgotten many of the good parts.

So much fun.

Highly recommended if you understand baseball basics [or more].

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 11:35:32 AM »

2. "Commonwealth" - Ann Patchett - I could not have loved his more. LOVED TO THE MAX! My first time reading one of her novels and it will not be my last.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 10:13:20 AM »

2. "Commonwealth" - Ann Patchett - I could not have loved his more. LOVED TO THE MAX! My first time reading one of her novels and it will not be my last.
3. "Today Will Be Different" - Maria Semple - I totally thought this book was going to solely be about some woman's "first- world problems". But, it started taking all of these twists and turns and was much more than I thought it would be.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 10:14:58 AM »

3. "Today Will Be Different" - Maria Semple - I totally thought this book was going to solely be about some woman's "first- world problems". But, it started taking all of these twists and turns and was much more than I thought it would be.

Did you read "Where'd You Go Bernadette?" similar, but definitely superior.  You'll wish you'd read it first.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 11:42:22 AM »

Did you read "Where'd You Go Bernadette?" similar, but definitely superior.  You'll wish you'd read it first.
I did read it.
I think this one will stick with me more, mostly because of the stuff with the sister and the unexpected "graphic novel" in the middle.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 12:19:55 PM by c-lando »

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 03:55:02 PM »

2. Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking - Anya Von Bremzen
3-4. Among the Living and the Dead: A Tale of Exile and Homecoming on the War Roads of Europe - Inara Verzemnieks

Even though it is only February, I seriously doubt I will read a book this year that will hit me in quite the way this one did. The writing is simply exquisite. Beautiful, haunting prose elevates what could be "just another" story of displacement during WWII.

The author's grandmother and her children (a 2-year old daughter and 3-week old son - the author's father) traveled the war roads for the last nine months of WWII after Riga was bombed nearly to smithereens, leaving them homeless. Grandma and the children end up in a displaced persons camp near Hamburg, where she is eventually reunited with her conscripted husband, and where they remain so long that the family increases by two more children before a sponsor is found in the United States.

The parallel story is about the grandmother's younger sister, who stayed behind on the family farm and who, along with her mother and older, invalid brother, wound up victims of Stalin's forced resettlement plan, banished for seven years in the harsh Siberian wilderness. Their crime? Owning 33 hectares of land - three over the 'allowed' limit - which in Soviet parlance meant they were 'kulaks.'

The author pieces their stories together and weaves a tapestry of hardship, endurance and abiding love for the land they lost.

An overwhelmingly beautiful piece of work, this. So good, as soon as I finished it, I read it again.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up