Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 books for 2017  (Read 4140 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: 50 books for 2017
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2017, 03:57:54 PM »

1. "Near Enemy: A Spademan Novel" - Adam Sternbergh
2. "Commonwealth" - Ann Patchett - I could not have loved his more. LOVED TO THE MAX! My first time reading one of her novels and it will not be my last.
3. "Today Will Be Different" - Maria Semple - I totally thought this book was going to solely be about some woman's "first- world problems". But, it started taking all of these twists and turns and was much more than I thought it would be.
4. "A Gentleman in Moscow" - Amor Towles - Some moments were soooooooo slow, while I previously noted that I could live forever in the chapter from Book 2 titled, “1926: Adieu”.
5. "State of Wonder" - Ann Patchett - This author can create the most amazing stories. So rich and emotional.
6. "This Is the Story of a Happy Marriage" - Ann Patchett
7. "Spoiled" - Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan - GFY girls write a YA book. Too Y and not enough A for me, even for a last minute beach read.

Looks like I'm back in the habit of reading bits of books and giving up on them. Hrumpf.

8. "Modern Lovers" - Emma Straub - I thought I liked where the book was going but then it seemed like she just got lazy and gave up by using some newspaper clippings to tie everything up. BOO.
9. "The Hate U Give" - Angie Thomas
10. "The Wrong Side of Goodbye" - Michael Connelly (a Harry Bosch/Lincoln Lawyer book)
11. "The Smell of Other People's Houses" - Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock - Thanks for the recommendation, trixi!
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2017, 04:04:05 PM »

Why did this title automatically appeal to me!?!?!? " The Smell of Other People's Houses".

A lot of people reviewing it say that's what made them pick it up :-)  It's a teen book set in 1970s Alaska.  Reads from different viewpoints that will eventually tie together toward the end.
In the acknowledgement section of the book, she notes that the book was born of a writing exercise from a class. "Let's all write for twenty minutes about the smell of other people's houses."

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2017, 06:04:03 PM »

Glad you liked it!
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2017, 07:29:42 AM »

1. Central Station - Lavie Tidhar
2. The Medusa Chronicles - Stephen Baxter & Alastair Reynolds
3. Stories Of Your Life and Others - Ted Chiang
4. Darwinia - Robert Charles Wilson
5. On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft - Stephen King
6. The Elements of Style - Strunk & White
7. Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life - Anne Lamott
8. Speaker's Meaning - Owen Barfield
9. 1Q84 - Haruki Murakami
10. Revenger - Alastair Reynolds
11. Mars Prime - William C. Dietz
12. Steering the Craft: Exercises and Discussions on Story Writing for the Lone Navigator or the Mutinous Crew - Ursula K. Le Guin
13. Astrophysics: A Very Short Introduction - James Binney
14. Coyote - Allen Steele
15. The Telling - Ursula K. Le Guin
16. Gifts - Ursula K. Le Guin
17. Voices - Ursula K. Le Guin
18. Powers - Ursula K. Le Guin
19. Orlando - Virginia Woolf
20. *The Other Wind* - Ursula K. Le Guin
21. The Girl in the Road - Monica Byrne

Simply put, amazing.

I discovered one of her short stories in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, and was so taken by it -- I read it a second time because I just had to -- I went online to see if she had written any books. The Girl in the Road is her first, and so far only, novel. I'm still processing it, and all I can say now is, "Read this book," and all the clichéd lines about being unable to put it down.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2017, 08:49:44 AM »

Simply put, amazing.

I discovered one of her short stories in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, and was so taken by it -- I read it a second time because I just had to -- I went online to see if she had written any books. The Girl in the Road is her first, and so far only, novel. I'm still processing it, and all I can say now is, "Read this book," and all the clichéd lines about being unable to put it down.
This looks great. Thanks for the recommendation!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2017, 10:11:12 AM »

Yeah, I might look into that one, too.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2017, 12:43:24 PM »

1. The People's House - David Pepper
2. Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking - Anya Von Bremzen
3-4. Among the Living and the Dead: A Tale of Exile and Homecoming on the War Roads of Europe - Inara Verzemnieks
5. Black Earth: The Holocaust as History and Warning - Timothy Snyder
6. Swing Time - Zadie Smith
7. The Auschwitz Volunteer: Beyond Bravery - Capt. Witold Pilecki [Auschwitz Prisoner #4859], translated to English by Jarek Garlinski.
8. Black-Eyed Susans - Julia Heaberlin
9. Playing Dead - Julia Heaberlin
10. On Tyranny: 20 Lessons from the 20th Century - Timothy Snyder

11. Lilac Girls - Martha Hall Kelly

Enjoyable book about three WWII-era women - New York socialite Caroline, Polish teenager Kasia and German doctor Herta - and how they navigate through the war and aftermath.

I am of two minds about this book. It's a decent novel with all the characters having fairly strong voice, but by the third part of the book the story is rushed to the point where you can almost feel the author's panic at trying to figure out a way to end it. Shame really.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2017, 10:42:34 AM »

1- the devil in the white city- erik lawson. 
2- the wisdom of insecurity- alan watts[
3- the gulag archipelago- aleksandr solzhenitsyn
4- the mill creek: an unnatural history of an urban stream- stanley hedeen
5- honey for the bears- anthony burgess

6- the hero with a thousand faces- joseph campbell-  i'll forever be indebted to jc for introducing me to the trickster god of west africa, edshu.  i am happy to finish, as it felt like a chore to read.  it was rewarding however, when you found yourself privy to an elucidation.  he seems to prefer to think with an eastern twang which is most groovy.  like littering dust on your mind
poach eggs, not elephants

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2017, 11:27:30 AM »

12. Steering the Craft: Exercises and Discussions on Story Writing for the Lone Navigator or the Mutinous Crew - Ursula K. Le Guin
20. The Other Wind - Ursula K. Le Guin
22. Pygmy - Chuck Palahniuk

I used to adore Palahniuk, but the honeymoon ended in the second chapter of Pygmy during a truly horrific scene. I read a few more chapters, then set it aside.

For five years.

Last weekend I was scanning the library for something to read, and Pygmy drew my attention. It was time I tried again. I'm glad I did. While that horrific scene is still horrific, I decided to give the author a chance, to see where he was going with it.

At the end of the day, Pygmy is not Palahniuk's best novel, but it's a fascinating read nonetheless. It's unique use of language takes some getting used to, but before long I found it worth the effort.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2017, 09:39:10 AM »

23. Deep Navigation - Alastair Reynolds

Collection of short stories spanning his career through 2009 (the year it was published). I found it to be hit or miss, with the last story perhaps being the strongest. Still happy to have it in the library -- I'm a bit of a fanboy, having read nearly everything he's published in book form.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2017, 12:00:41 PM »

2. "Commonwealth" - Ann Patchett - I could not have loved his more. LOVED TO THE MAX! My first time reading one of her novels and it will not be my last.
3. "Today Will Be Different" - Maria Semple - I totally thought this book was going to solely be about some woman's "first- world problems". But, it started taking all of these twists and turns and was much more than I thought it would be.
4. "A Gentleman in Moscow" - Amor Towles - Some moments were soooooooo slow, while I previously noted that I could live forever in the chapter from Book 2 titled, “1926: Adieu”.
5. "State of Wonder" - Ann Patchett - This author can create the most amazing stories. So rich and emotional.
7. "Spoiled" - Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan - GFY girls write a YA book. Too Y and not enough A for me, even for a last minute beach read.

Looks like I'm back in the habit of reading bits of books and giving up on them. Hrumpf.

8. "Modern Lovers" - Emma Straub - I thought I liked where the book was going but then it seemed like she just got lazy and gave up by using some newspaper clippings to tie everything up. BOO.
10. "The Wrong Side of Goodbye" - Michael Connelly (a Harry Bosch/Lincoln Lawyer book)
11. "The Smell of Other People's Houses" - Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock - Thanks for the recommendation, trixi!
12. "Maine" - J. Courtney Sullivan - This would make a good beach book. Not dumb, but not heavy.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2017, 03:18:33 PM »

1. The People's House - David Pepper
2. Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking - Anya Von Bremzen
3-4. Among the Living and the Dead: A Tale of Exile and Homecoming on the War Roads of Europe - Inara Verzemnieks
5. Black Earth: The Holocaust as History and Warning - Timothy Snyder
6. Swing Time - Zadie Smith
7. The Auschwitz Volunteer: Beyond Bravery - Capt. Witold Pilecki [Auschwitz Prisoner #4859], translated to English by Jarek Garlinski.
8. Black-Eyed Susans - Julia Heaberlin
9. Playing Dead - Julia Heaberlin
10. On Tyranny: 20 Lessons from the 20th Century - Timothy Snyder
11. Lilac Girls - Martha Hall Kelly

12. Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk

When a friend found out I hadn't read this, he immediately rectified it by loaning me his copy. Loved it.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2017, 08:53:38 PM »

12. Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk

When a friend found out I hadn't read this, he immediately rectified it by loaning me his copy. Loved it.
The ending is SO GOOD.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2017, 05:00:43 AM »

23. Deep Navigation - Alastair Reynolds
24. Typo Squad - Stephen Lomer

A friend's first novel, Typo Squad is a light-hearted take on crime fighters and master criminals with a nod to the thankless job of the copy editor.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2017, 03:45:57 PM »

12. "Maine" - J. Courtney Sullivan - This would make a good beach book. Not dumb, but not heavy.
13. "The Asphalt Warrior" - Gary Reilly - I forget how I found this recommendation, but it's a good one. I thought it would be more of a detective or crime novel. But, it's mainly just the thoughts of the cabbie/philosopher/lover of GILLIGAN'S ISLAND protagonist. I didn't mind spending time in Murph's head.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up