Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 books for 2017  (Read 3323 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: 50 books for 2017
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2017, 12:27:22 PM »

Interesting. What are your sources for these claims?

There was definitely a lot of things in that book that didn't make sense. And a lot of things that were glossed over. He beat his wife. Then he beat his second wife. Then he beat his third wife. This wasn't mentioned much.  There were guys who liked him...and some liked him a lot. And he was very loyal to Detroit, as they were to him. So there certainly were things missing in the book that I feel like would have made for better writing if they had been explored more. Some things are lost to history and I assumed that the author wrote what he did because he had sources for it; he glossed over whatever he glossed over because it was lost to history or he didn't have a source to back it up. You are claiming otherwise, which is possible I suppose.

I have not done a wikipedia dive on this book.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2017, 02:16:14 PM »

Sushie would probably be able to tell you a lot more about it.  I know that some SABR historians extensively reviewed the anecdotes in the Stump book, which is when it first started to get more widely discredited.

A lot of things are still true, or at least there's enough evidence to believe they are true.  Like, he slapped a black clubhouse attendant and then choked out his wife.  There's just no indication he did it because the dude was black, as opposed to he was just in a bad mood and pretty much would beat up anyone.  Also he did run into the stands to beat up a guy with no hands. That's true too.

There was a book that came out a few years ago on Cobb you might want to read.  It is called A Terrible Beauty.  It got mostly positive reviews.  I think some people felt it went too far the other way, like pointing out that the fan in the stands was a notorious heckler and that fights in baseball were very common in those days.  The dude still had no hands, man.  But the book was well-received as at least being extremely well-sourced and factually accurate.  People just didn't agree with the author's opinions/interpretations where he drew them.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2017, 03:29:19 PM »

Yeah, that story was in the Stump book too about the no hands. And he said pretty much what you said - and just because the guy has no hands doesn't mean he's allowed to be an ass to the players. The Stump book (if I recall correctly) pointed out that most of the ballplayers agreed with Cobb on that one because the things that dude were saying had gone way over the line.

Sidenote - way over the line today versus way over the line in 1914 might be two different things.

The Stump book discusses how he beat up a number of black people. It also discusses how he beat up a number of umpires, fans, writers, and other non-blacks. But the book also points out that he really tended to focus on black people, so that's not good.

I'm not trying to defend it, though. Or Cobb. All that assholery and over-competitiveness is in the facts, not in stories.

Whether the Stump book is creditable or not, I think I'm done with The Georgia Peach for a long time. That was enough.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2017, 04:37:18 PM »

That story gave way a great comeback:

Concerned citizen: "You can't attack that man, he doesn't have any hands!"
Ty Cobb: "I don't care if he's got no feet!"
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2017, 09:10:55 PM »

i don't see why you shouldn't treat everyone equally.  my wife's grandfather lost both his hands in a farming accident when he was a young man.  over time he was able to adapt and continue farming just like he used to.  i never got to meet the man but legend has it, he was even able to play a mean game of pinochle. you probably couldn't tell he had no hands until you went to shake one.  which is most likely where the fist bump (or respect knuckles) came into fashion.   you're at a decided disadvantage if you underestimate someone during a brawl.   the man's probably been getting away with this shit for years and ty cobb called his bluff 
poach eggs, not elephants

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2017, 09:29:39 PM »

If I remember the story correctly, there is some question as to whether No Hands Guy was even the one who was heckling Ty Cobb in the first place. But then again, I could be mixing up my "Ty Cobb goes into the stands to fight somebody" stories.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2017, 11:09:13 AM »

1- the devil in the white city- erik lawson. 
2- the wisdom of insecurity- alan watts
3- the gulag archipelago- aleksandr solzhenitsyn
4- the mill creek: an unnatural history of an urban stream- stanley hedeen
5- honey for the bears- anthony burgess
6- the hero with a thousand faces- joseph campbell
7- iceland; land of the sagas- david roberts and jon krakauer
8- magister ludi: the glass bead game- hermann hesse
9- independent people- halldor laxness
10- quiet days in clichy- henry miller
11- no one writes to the colonel & other stories- gabriel garcia marquez
12- how to raise a wild child- scott sampson
13- house of the dead- dostoyevsky

14- silent spring- rachel carson- well i certainly didn't think i would read almost 300 pages about insecticide in the 1950's.  i meant to read another of her books.

this probably is her magnum opus and is incredibly important.  this work lead to environment destroying pesticides being taken out of circulation.  it's pretty crazy how careless everyone was regarding these lethal chemicals, which were backed by men who donated generously to universities to promote their agenda.  but they weren't the only ones culpable.  governments just trusted these people and planes would drop glorious amounts of death upon housewives in detroit trying to protect their gardens from the chemical rain (because that shit looks ominous), anything outdoors just to kill a bug which will only become more of a pest when all along there's a simple way of dealing with it.  hi fiving nature and solving this bitch like a team! 

my favorite story she told was about nature fighting back (but nature doesn't really fight back as it's swallowing you whole perpetually).  like in the 1940's or something, a famous salmon run in nova scotia (or one of the off the beaten path canadian provinces) had almost dried up.  one of those more lethal than ddt chemicals was the most likely culprit.  then a fucking hurricane came, probably killed the fuckers who laced the land, and once again there were salmon

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2017, 11:22:23 PM »

1.  The Nazi Officer's Wife: How One Jewish Woman Survived the Holocaust--Edith Hahn Beer
2.  Tragedy Girl--Christine Hurley Deriso
3.  Dear Amy--Helen Callaghan
4.  Highly Illogical Behavior--John Corey Whaley
5.  The Serpent King--Jeff Zentner
6.  The Bitter Side of Sweet--Tara Sullivan
7.  True Letters from a Fictional Life--Kenneth Logan
8.  The Wrecked Life: the war story of a physician--Jakub Herzig
9.  Nor the Moon by Night--Joy Packer
10.  Dash and Lily's Book of Dares--Rachel Cohn
11.  To the Stars--Molly McAdams
12.  A Guest at the Shooters' Banquet: My Grandfather's SS Past, My Jewish Family, A Search for the Truth--Rita Gabis
13.  March: Book 3--John Lewis
14.  A Season for Fireflies--Rebecca Maizel
15.  Humans, Bow Down--James Patterson
16.  Measure of a Man: From Auschwitz Survivor to Presidents' Tailor--Martin Greenfield
17. Never Never--James Patterson
18.  The Female of the Species--Mindy McGinnis
19.  The Smell of Other People's Houses--Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock
20.  We Are Still Tornadoes--Michael Kun 
21.  The Sun is Also a Star--Nicola Yoon
22.  Rani Patel in Full Effect--Sonia Patel
23.  Year of fear; a Jewish prisoner waits for Auschwitz--Philip Mechanicus
24.  When We Collided--Emery Lord
25.  Black Book--James Patterson
26.  Tell Me Something Real--Calla Devlin
27.  Lucky Few--Kathryn Ormsbee
28.  All By Myself, Alone--Mary Higgins Clark
29.  16th Seduction--James Patterson
30.  The Passion of Dolssa--Julie Berry
31.  Hitler's Forgotten Children: My Life Inside The Lebensborn--Ingrid Von Oelhafen  (a fascinating book of a woman who discovers later in life that she was taken from her family in Slovenia and given to a German family to be raised German in Hitler's Lebensborn program)
32.  Girl Mans Up--M-E Girard
33.  Camino Island--John Grisham
34.  Sing--Vivi Greene
35.  Survivors Club: The True Story of a Very Young Prisoner of Auschwitz--Michael Bornstein
36.  Murder Games--James Patterson
37.  Once and For All--Sarah Dessen
38.  Did I Mention I Miss You?--Estelle Maskame
39.  Substance:  Inside New Order--Peter Hook
40.  A Tree Grows in Brooklyn--Betty Smith
41.  I'll Meet You There--Heather Demetrios
42.  I See London, I See France--Sarah Mlynowski
43.  The Killings at Badger's Drift--Caroline Graham
44.  The Cincinnati Subway: History of Rapid Transit--Allen J Singer
45.  Did I Mention I Need You?--Estelle Maskame
46.  Songs About A Girl--Chris Russell
47.  Strays: A Lost Cat, a Homeless Man, and Their Journey Across America--Britt Collins
48.  Death of a Hollow Man--Caroline Graham
49.  I Have Lived a Thousand Lives--Livia Bitton-Jackson
50.  Kristallnacht--Anthony Read
51.  Museum at Purgatory--Nick Bantock
52.  Bare Bones--Kathy Reichs
53.  Silent Alarm:  On Edge with a Deaf EMT--Steven Schrader
54.  The Store--James Patterson
55.  Did I Mention I Love You?--Estelle Maskame
56.  Honestly Ben--Bill Konigsberg
57.  Monday Mourning--Kathy Reichs
58.  The Rooster Bar--John Grisham
59.  Haunted--James Patterson
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2017, 09:55:38 AM »

1. Central Station - Lavie Tidhar
2. The Medusa Chronicles - Stephen Baxter & Alastair Reynolds
3. Stories Of Your Life and Others - Ted Chiang
4. Darwinia - Robert Charles Wilson
5. On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft - Stephen King
6. The Elements of Style - Strunk & White
7. Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life - Anne Lamott
8. Speaker's Meaning - Owen Barfield
9. 1Q84 - Haruki Murakami
10. Revenger - Alastair Reynolds
11. Mars Prime - William C. Dietz
12. Steering the Craft: Exercises and Discussions on Story Writing for the Lone Navigator or the Mutinous Crew - Ursula K. Le Guin
13. Astrophysics: A Very Short Introduction - James Binney
14. Coyote - Allen Steele
15. The Telling - Ursula K. Le Guin
16. Gifts - Ursula K. Le Guin
17. Voices - Ursula K. Le Guin
18. Powers - Ursula K. Le Guin
19. Orlando - Virginia Woolf
20. The Other Wind - Ursula K. Le Guin
21. The Girl in the Road - Monica Byrne
22. Pygmy - Chuck Palahniuk
23. Deep Navigation - Alastair Reynolds
24. Typo Squad - Stephen Lomer
25. Tales From Earthsea - Ursula K. Le Guin
26. Throw Like A Woman - Susan Petrone
27. The Chronoliths - Robert Charles Wilson
28. Beautiful You - Chuck Palahniuk
29. The Elements of Grammar - Margaret Shertzer
30. Prodigal Summer - Barbara Kingsolver
31. Aurora - Kim Stanley Robinson
32. The Way of Kings, Part One - Brandon Sanderson
33. A Canticle for Leibowitz - Walter M. Miller, Jr.
34. A Brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived: The Stories in Our Genes - Adam Rutherford
35. The Windup Girl - Paolo Bacigalupi
36. The Way of Kings, Part Two - Brandon Sanderson
37. Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons
38. Manifold: Time - Stephen Baxter
39. Words of Radiance, Part One - Brandon Sanderson

More of the same. Good, but not great. I'm ready to move on to something more economically written.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #114 on: November 21, 2017, 04:17:01 PM »

1. "Near Enemy: A Spademan Novel" - Adam Sternbergh
2. "Commonwealth" - Ann Patchett - I could not have loved his more. LOVED TO THE MAX! My first time reading one of her novels and it will not be my last.
3. "Today Will Be Different" - Maria Semple - I totally thought this book was going to solely be about some woman's "first- world problems". But, it started taking all of these twists and turns and was much more than I thought it would be.
4. "A Gentleman in Moscow" - Amor Towles - Some moments were soooooooo slow, while I previously noted that I could live forever in the chapter from Book 2 titled, “1926: Adieu”.
5. "State of Wonder" - Ann Patchett - This author can create the most amazing stories. So rich and emotional.
6. "This Is the Story of a Happy Marriage" - Ann Patchett
7. "Spoiled" - Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan - GFY girls write a YA book. Too Y and not enough A for me, even for a last minute beach read.

Looks like I'm back in the habit of reading bits of books and giving up on them. Hrumpf.

8. "Modern Lovers" - Emma Straub - I thought I liked where the book was going but then it seemed like she just got lazy and gave up by using some newspaper clippings to tie everything up. BOO.
9. "The Hate U Give" - Angie Thomas
10. "The Wrong Side of Goodbye" - Michael Connelly (a Harry Bosch/Lincoln Lawyer book)
11. "The Smell of Other People's Houses" - Bonnie-Sue Hitchcock - Thanks for the recommendation, trixi!
12. "Maine" - J. Courtney Sullivan - This would make a good beach book. Not dumb, but not heavy.
13. "The Asphalt Warrior" - Gary Reilly - I forget how I found this recommendation, but it's a good one. I thought it would be more of a detective or crime novel. But, it's mainly just the thoughts of the cabbie/philosopher/lover of GILLIGAN'S ISLAND protagonist. I didn't mind spending time in Murph's head.
14. "Both Ways Is the Only Way I Want It" - Maile Meloy
15. "We Are Never Meeting in Real Life" - Samantha Irby - I cackled and giggled and snorted. YAY.
16. "The Vinyl Detective: The Run-out Groove" - Andrew Cartmel - I didn't really care for the mystery but I liked spending more time with the core group of main characters, including the kitty cats.
17. "American Street" - Ibi Zoboi
18. "Do Not Become Alarmed" - Maile Meloy - I may never travel internationally again.
19. "The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl" - Issa Rae (audiobook)
20. "The Late Show" - Michael Connelly - A nice introduction to Connelly's newest detective. And she's a lady!
21. "Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore" - Robin Sloan - That was a little like Willy Wonka if books were candy.
22. "The Identicals" - Elin Hilderbrand - Soapy beach read devoured at a cubicle during a couple of lunches/on the treadmill walking off those lunches.
23. "Worn Stories" - Emily Spivack - A collection of "sartorial memoirs".
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2017, 10:33:16 AM »

14- silent spring- rachel carson

15- hocus pocus- vonnegut- forgot how quickly a vonnegut novel can go.  you can certainly tell that vonnegut has a lot of fun with his talent.  quite memorable.  i wish i would have written some passages down.  those would be fun to read to someone when you're on a hike.  i'd wager it ranks up near the top of his work.  he definitely aged well 

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2017, 09:07:37 AM »

1. Central Station - Lavie Tidhar
2. The Medusa Chronicles - Stephen Baxter & Alastair Reynolds
3. Stories Of Your Life and Others - Ted Chiang
4. Darwinia - Robert Charles Wilson
5. On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft - Stephen King
6. The Elements of Style - Strunk & White
7. Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life - Anne Lamott
8. Speaker's Meaning - Owen Barfield
9. 1Q84 - Haruki Murakami
10. Revenger - Alastair Reynolds
11. Mars Prime - William C. Dietz
12. Steering the Craft: Exercises and Discussions on Story Writing for the Lone Navigator or the Mutinous Crew - Ursula K. Le Guin
13. Astrophysics: A Very Short Introduction - James Binney
14. Coyote - Allen Steele
15. The Telling - Ursula K. Le Guin
16. Gifts - Ursula K. Le Guin
17. Voices - Ursula K. Le Guin
18. Powers - Ursula K. Le Guin
19. Orlando - Virginia Woolf
20. The Other Wind - Ursula K. Le Guin
21. The Girl in the Road - Monica Byrne
22. Pygmy - Chuck Palahniuk
23. Deep Navigation - Alastair Reynolds
24. Typo Squad - Stephen Lomer
25. Tales From Earthsea - Ursula K. Le Guin
26. Throw Like A Woman - Susan Petrone
27. The Chronoliths - Robert Charles Wilson
28. Beautiful You - Chuck Palahniuk
29. The Elements of Grammar - Margaret Shertzer
30. Prodigal Summer - Barbara Kingsolver
31. Aurora - Kim Stanley Robinson
32. The Way of Kings, Part One - Brandon Sanderson
33. A Canticle for Leibowitz - Walter M. Miller, Jr.
34. A Brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived: The Stories in Our Genes - Adam Rutherford
35. The Windup Girl - Paolo Bacigalupi
36. The Way of Kings, Part Two - Brandon Sanderson
37. Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons
38. Manifold: Time - Stephen Baxter
39. Words of Radiance, Part One - Brandon Sanderson

40. Tell-All - Chuck Palahniuk

Not his best, but I enjoyed it, mostly for the fun word-play: Ex-husbands are referred to as "was-bands," the addictions you turn to when depressed are called "moping mechanisms," etc. He really is a dark, clever bastard.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2017, 12:35:36 PM »

1. Jim Bouton - Ball Four
2. Susanna Clarke - Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
3. Al Stump - Cobb
4. Celeste Ng - Little Fires Everywhere

A story set in Shake Heights, Ohio! I worked in the Planning Dept of Shaker Heights in 2000 for a summer internship, so this was fun. Plus all the random Cleveland references, too. The story was pretty good, although not my favorite. I found myself almost hate-reading the middle, but the beginning and the end were quite good. Not sure if I recommend it or not. Maybe. Still processing it.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2017, 03:58:46 PM »

14- silent spring- rachel carson
15- hocus pocus- vonnegut

16- the stranger- albert camus- that was intense.  oh the myriad paths we find ourselves galloping along.  remarkable technique.  the straight forward manner of speaking, in hindsight paints the hero (or should i say antihero?) in an unsympathetic light and not because of the aftermath of burying his mother (which is what he was really guilty of in the eyes of the law).  but during, the camus puts the reader in the same shoes as the murderer.  both the reader and the murderer are just as in the dark, only, the hero (or should i say antihero?), it seems, to be less concerned.  something to do with we'll die when we die.  the hero convinced me that i should me that i shouldn't care about him.  that kinda makes me care a little 

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2017, 08:51:55 PM »

Little Fires Everywhere

A story set in Shaker Heights, Ohio!

And a big fire on the Cuyahoga River.

An easy and obvious anti-Cleveland joke, I know. But it's Cleveland, so I'm not sorry.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up