Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 25 New Restaurants in 2017  (Read 1060 times)

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
25 New Restaurants in 2017
« on: January 09, 2017, 09:39:01 PM »

1.  Fisherman's Market--Palm Springs, CA
2.  Forty Niner Café--Furnace Creek Ranch, Death Valley NP, CA
3.  Ventano Italian Grill--Henderson, NV
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

daytime drinking

• City Elder
Re: 25 New Restaurants in 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 10:28:08 AM »

looking forward to the nepalese joint going into the old melt space.  northside's becoming quite a haven for ethnic joints
poach eggs, not elephants

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 02:49:49 PM »

Nepalese? That's impressive. I don't even know where I could get some Nepalese in NYC and we have EVERYTHING.
(to be fair, I'm sure it available...I just have never heard anyone suggest going to one)

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 03:41:37 PM »

we walked past the place (the nepalese joint) yesterday and decided to check it out.  it wasn't in our plans since we were about to go home and eat the delicious chili i had simmering.  but what the fuck.  it was fantastic.  the place is called bridges.  they were previously operating out of the northside farmer's market.  pretty limited menu but tasty.  we had the brown rice, tikka masala (or whatever it is) which was spicy curried chicken over a lentil thing, and a spicy samosa and a large chai tea.  was around $18 with a tip, and that was for one meal we shared.  so i suppose it is a bit pricey.  the young dude serving us was pushy in a very friendly way.  super nice

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 01:02:24 AM »

1.  Fisherman's Market--Palm Springs, CA
2.  Forty Niner Café--Furnace Creek Ranch, Death Valley NP, CA
3.  Ventano Italian Grill--Henderson, NV
4.  Goldie's Route 66 Diner--Williams, AZ
5.  Barrio Queen--Gilbert, AZ
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 10:42:33 AM »

I have just realized that I have neglected this space. Oops.

1. Mitas - Downtown Cincinnati
Went here for happy hour with some coworkers. Good food (although not a very good selection of veggie options), good drinks, good service, chill atmosphere.
2. The Greyhound Inn - Corfe Castle, Dorset, England
Very good farm-to-table restaurant at the foot of the majestic ruin of Corfe Castle. Excellent, friendly service and delicious food. Lots of veggie options and real ales.
3. Moore Spice Indian Restaurant - Wembley, London, England
Named after England footballer Bobby Moore and located next door to Wembley stadium. Went here after the match to drown our 3-2 sorrows.
4. Saffron Indian Cuisine - Eastleigh, Hampshire, England
Serving South Asian fare. When it comes to fiery spices, they don't dick around. My mouth was on FIRE, in a good way, but holy moly!
5. Coffee#1 - Eastleigh, Hampshire, England
Tea and cakes with friends. Nice decor, good drinks, food and service, hot dude barista. Win.
6. The Home Tavern - Eastleigh, Hampshire, England
We were staying in the hotel next door to this pub, so it became our de facto local. We ate a lot of our meals here and they were always tasty and served with a smile. By the end of our stay, IPrayForSound was on first-name basis with the entire staff, the landlord and all the regulars. I think he and CR closed the place down every night.
7. Bauer - Downtown Cincinnati
Good food - all sourced locally, nice selection of veggie/vegan options, nice mixed drinks. It isn't cheap and the portions are small, but I guess you are paying for the fact that everything is made/raised locally and in season.
I am not sure I'd go back though. Not because of the small portions or prices, but because I really HATED the decor. It was like 70s hunting lodge chic and just horrible (at least to me). I kept expecting to see hairy chested men with gold chains and satin shirts everywhere. Ugh. Not my scene at all.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 11:59:21 AM »

I haven't been to Bauer. Looked at their menu, and it just didn't appeal much for me (even though it says "European")...

Next up for me are:

Bottle & Basket (new OtR place from the same group that owns Melt);
the relocated Café de Vine, which I think is now on 4th Street.

Speaking of Melt, they are taking FOERVER to re-open in their new spot (corner of Hamilton & Blue Rock)
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 12:38:22 PM »

I haven't been to Bauer. Looked at their menu, and it just didn't appeal much for me (even though it says "European")...

Two of our party are German and they weren't sold on the authenticity. One got the schnitzel and thought it was tasty but nothing like he was used to back home. His wife opted for the special - which was a porterhouse steak, so not really German or French - and thought it was good but she wasn't wowed by it. They liked the selection of German wines though.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 01:36:18 PM »

Speaking of revamped downtown eateries: The Inn Between Tavern, the decades-old dive at the corner of 3rd & Sycamore that somehow had hung on through all of the changes on the riverfront, is no more. Apparently was sold and recently reopened as "Corner Bistro" or something like that. I'll check it out at some point just for the heck of it (2 blocks from my office).
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 01:45:27 PM »

That sucks.  They had my favorite wings in the city.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 03:06:21 PM »

what's the place off central parkway across the street from the police station (or close by)?  that place was rockin' on a sunday night. 

euro (or anyone), have you been to the nepalese place called bridges in the old melt space?  do so.  it'll take me a while to visit the new melt.   it's awesome that molly wellman has become so successful, but i think it was too much a few ventures ago.  maybe she's managing it just fine and i'm not giving her enough credit.  missed seeing melt leave that location.  hopefully bridges is a mainstay

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 03:30:17 PM »

daytime, I'm not big on Asian food in general, and really don't plan on checking out the Nepalese joint in the old Melt space.

I am with you, though, I hated seeing Melt leave their space. I thought it was a really good spot, with its own personality. I am afraid that will not be the case in the vastly bigger and much more 'corporate' spot they are moving into, although I will certainly give them a try.

Dizzy

• Summer Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 11:31:00 PM »

Good food - I am not sure I'd go back though. Not because of the small portions or prices, but because I really HATED the decor. It was like 70s hunting lodge chic and just horrible (at least to me). I kept expecting to see hairy chested men with gold chains and satin shirts everywhere. Ugh. Not my scene at all.
I am going to Bauer in a couple weeks with friends and now I know how i'm going to dress.  I also looked at the menu and I wasn't impressed but it wasn't my choice this month.

adyonka

• Administrator
  • Tourist
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 03:06:36 PM »

Good food - I am not sure I'd go back though. Not because of the small portions or prices, but because I really HATED the decor. It was like 70s hunting lodge chic and just horrible (at least to me). I kept expecting to see hairy chested men with gold chains and satin shirts everywhere. Ugh. Not my scene at all.
I am going to Bauer in a couple weeks with friends and now I know how i'm going to dress.  I also looked at the menu and I wasn't impressed but it wasn't my choice this month.

I expect your full review. And pictures.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 06:49:47 PM »

That sucks.  They had my favorite wings in the city.

wild mikes partner.  have you had wild mikes?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up