Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 25 New Restaurants in 2017  (Read 1059 times)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Re: 25 New Restaurants in 2017
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 01:24:13 PM »

7. Bauer - Downtown Cincinnati
Good food - I am not sure I'd go back though. Not because of the small portions or prices, but because I really HATED the decor. It was like 70s hunting lodge chic and just horrible (at least to me). I kept expecting to see hairy chested men with gold chains and satin shirts everywhere. Ugh. Not my scene at all.
I am going to Bauer in a couple weeks with friends and now I know how i'm going to dress.  I also looked at the menu and I wasn't impressed but it wasn't my choice this month.

Heh. Don't forget the tight polyester flairs.

BTW, something I forgot to mention is that most of the food we ordered came in the weirdest assortment of dishes. Or rather anti-dishes. The salad came in a huge stainless steel bowl - like the type they are mixed in - that was nearly impossible to eat from (at least without getting it everywhere), the steaks were on pieces of slate, the sausages were in large LeCruset pots, etc. Only the roasted cauliflower came plated on an actual piece of crockery.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 06:00:08 PM »

Bottle & Basket, Over the Rhine.

My lawyer buddy and I had lunch "at" Bottle & Basket. When I say "at", I don't mean we ate lunch inside. Technically you can eat inside (there are a few bar stools near the window), but the place really isn't conducive for it. It's essentially a take-out place and also does a lot of catering apparently. This is from the same ownership that also runs Melt, Japp's, Neon's and Myrtle's.

My buddy went for the roasted vegetable press Panini sandwich ($7), with a side order of vegetable chili ($4) to boot. The sandwich is served in 2 parts: the basic sandwich, and then in a separate carton cup a bunch of vegetables (red peppers, zucchini, yellow squash) for you to eat as you desire (on the sandwich or separately). He loved it.

I went for the Captain Cobb salad ($12), which is a very generous serving of spring mix and chopped romaine, with bacon, chicken, blue cheese, tomato, egg salad, and a few other things I don't remember. It was delicious and fresh.

The place is stocked with tons of wine bottles, and if it weren't a work day, I'd be tempted to follow the advice to "bottle and basket".

We walked half a block to Washington Park, and enjoyed the beautiful weather. Didn't know this, but there are now small lunch tables with chairs set up on (if you wish to be out of the sun) and near (if you want to be in the sun) Washington Park's main stage.

In all, a delightful lunch, and we were sorry to have to go back to the office..
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 12:16:07 AM »

1.  Fisherman's Market--Palm Springs, CA
2.  Forty Niner Café--Furnace Creek Ranch, Death Valley NP, CA
3.  Ventano Italian Grill--Henderson, NV
4.  Goldie's Route 66 Diner--Williams, AZ
5.  Barrio Queen--Gilbert, AZ
6.  O Pie O--Walnut Hills (Cincinnati), OH
7.  The Sugar Bowl--Des Plaines, IL
8.  Eveready Diner--Hyde Park, NY
9.  Jessop's Tavern--New Castle, DE  (the building was 300 years old, yummy food)
10.  Lucca--Taylor, PA
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 08:21:57 PM by trixi »
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 04:11:19 PM »

I have just realized that I have neglected this space. Oops.

1. Mitas - Downtown Cincinnati
Went here for happy hour with some coworkers. Good food (although not a very good selection of veggie options), good drinks, good service, chill atmosphere.
2. The Greyhound Inn - Corfe Castle, Dorset, England
Very good farm-to-table restaurant at the foot of the majestic ruin of Corfe Castle. Excellent, friendly service and delicious food. Lots of veggie options and real ales.
3. Moore Spice Indian Restaurant - Wembley, London, England
Named after England footballer Bobby Moore and located next door to Wembley stadium. Went here after the match to drown our 3-2 sorrows.
4. Saffron Indian Cuisine - Eastleigh, Hampshire, England
Serving South Asian fare. When it comes to fiery spices, they don't dick around. My mouth was on FIRE, in a good way, but holy moly!
5. Coffee#1 - Eastleigh, Hampshire, England
Tea and cakes with friends. Nice decor, good drinks, food and service, hot dude barista. Win.
6. The Home Tavern - Eastleigh, Hampshire, England
We were staying in the hotel next door to this pub, so it became our de facto local. We ate a lot of our meals here and they were always tasty and served with a smile. By the end of our stay, IPrayForSound was on first-name basis with the entire staff, the landlord and all the regulars. I think he and CR closed the place down every night.
Good food - all sourced locally, nice selection of veggie/vegan options, nice mixed drinks. It isn't cheap and the portions are small, but I guess you are paying for the fact that everything is made/raised locally and in season.
I am not sure I'd go back though. Not because of the small portions or prices, but because I really HATED the decor. It was like 70s hunting lodge chic and just horrible (at least to me). I kept expecting to see hairy chested men with gold chains and satin shirts everywhere. Ugh. Not my scene at all.

I have not been keeping this one up and now I am not sure I can remember all of them, but will give it a try.

8. Epicurean Mercantile Co. - OTR, Cincinnati

Excellent lunch spot inside a new local market. The set-up can be a little confusing to first timers - there were a few ladies there who needed a lot of hand-holding - but I found it easy enough to figure out. Basically you look at the menu and decide what you want, go to a kiosk and place your order. You can add or subtract fixings, then choose your side and drink, pay with the swipe of a credit card and the order receipt is printed out. It is also sent at the same time to the kitchen, and made pretty much right in front of you.

I chose the vegan "Other Burger" made with pearl couscous, quinoa, roasted corn and avocado. It was massive and quite delicious. Good call! CR got the crispy Amish chicken sandwich and fries. His also got a thumbs up. Very nice all around.

9. Railstop Gastropub - Alexandria, VA
Didn't actually eat here, just stopped in a few times for drinks. Very friendly staff, excellent and fun Jamaican bartender.

10. TJ Stones - Alexandria, VA
Friendly staff, nice vibe, good food, decently priced. What more can you ask for?

11. Extra Perks Cafe - Alexandria, VA
Weird set up. You get a table, they give you a menu but then you have to go up to the counter to order. Then you pick it up yourself and bus the table yourself. Food itself was OK but way overpriced for what you get. Oddest part was the passive aggressive signage everywhere you turned. Signs telling you where to bus each item on your tray, signs in the bathroom that read "Push soap dispenser handle DO NOT PULL or it will break as it has done already three times," "DO NOT throw paper towels into the toilet," "toilet clogs! Please flush halfway thru proceedings!" and so forth.

I get it. People are idiots.

12. Daniel O'Connell's Irish Restaurant and Bar - Alexandria, VA
Disaster! Surly staff, indifferent servers, shite food. We really should have left when the server spilled a full glass of water all over us and didn't even apologize. Obviously the only way this place stays in business is its prime location on King St. in Old Town, where a new crop of tourists turns up every day because they do not know any better. We know now and will never return. God, what a shitshow this place was.

13. Asian Bistro - Alexandria, VA
Does what it says on the tin. Good food, good service, good price.

14. Don Taco Tequila Bar - Alexandria, VA
Welp, this one came recommended on Yelp and TripAdvisor and yeah, the food was pretty good and the jalapeńo margarita was delicious, but damn, the service was all over the place! Our server never even asked us if we wanted a drink AND TEQUILA IS IN THE NAME OF THE PLACE! And since he hadn't asked us what we wanted to drink (he went right into asking what we wanted to eat as soon as we sat down) and a quick look at neighboring tables showed no one else drinking, I had to ask if they served booze on Sunday.
Dude looks at me, mystified. "Uh, yeah?"
"Right!" Kathy and I say, "what tequila cocktails do you do then?"
Dude looks panicked. Runs off. Brings back a drinks menu and again asks us for our food order.
I am really not sure if he was new, or clueless, or what. We quickly ordered our drinks and tacos.
Food came out before our drinks.
Weird. Just weird. And no less than three managers came by to ask how our meal was. "Fine," "Good," we said. Had any of them asked how our server was doing we'd have said he seemed edgy and nervous, but since they only wanted feedback on the food, that's all we offered up. And maybe he was freaking out because there were three managers there. I don't know.
Would I go back? Based on this experience, no.

15. Dolci Gelati - Alexandria, VA
Expensive but very good. Friendly staff.

16. Pavilion Cafe - Washington DC
Situated inside the National Gallery of Art's Sculpture Garden. Very busy place, as you might imagine. Order at counter, find a table (good luck with that) and wait for your order to turn up. Good fresh food, a bit pricey.

17. Terrace Cafe - Washington DC
A sort of grab'n'go cafe inside the National Museum of Art-East. Serves salads of all sorts, baguette sandwiches, desserts, tea, coffee and other assorted cafe fare. Groovy setting. Filling.

18. Tony Cheng - Chinatown, Washington DC
Fucking hell ... go here for the strongest drinks in the city. ONE DRINK IS ALL YOU NEED. Srsly. Holy fuck we were legless for under nine bucks each. Good food, good atmosphere, bizarre (but fun) service, good prices. And did I happen to mention the crazy strong drinks? Christ.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 04:14:40 PM by MissKitty »

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 10:37:14 PM »

MK, obviously you guys were in DC recently. It's a town I know well, for a number of reasons.

Next time you go there, I'd suggest you check out Bistrot du Coin, 1738 Conn Ave (north side of DuPont Circle), delicious French/Belgian cuisine, and Capital City Brewing, 1100 New York Ave, one of DC's great local breweries.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2017, 01:25:05 PM »

Thanks for the recommendations. Last time we were in DC we stayed at DuPont Circle and hit up pretty much every eating and drinking establishment. This time we stayed in Alexandria. Probably won't make that mistake again.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2017, 06:11:20 PM »

why alexandria? 
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2017, 09:08:00 AM »

why alexandria?

A lot of people do this.  Alexandria is usually a bit cheaper to stay at than D.C., and you it is only a 10 minute metro ride into the city.  And there is stuff to do in Alexandria itself like Old Town, which is kind of over-priced and boutique-y, but IMO still a fun place to spend a day walking around.
The
Except it kind of isn't that convenient.  It's really more like you might walk 5-10 minutes from your hotel to the metro, wait another 5-10 minutes for your train, THEN 10 minutes into the city.  Which makes it more of a 30 minute ride that is a bit tiring.  So I can see both sides, I guess.  I think you would enjoy Alexandria more than DC.

DC has gotten strange in the last ten years or so.  It has always been more of a business own than a tourist town.  But back in the day, that meant the entire city shut down at 6, and left room for more "funky" type clubs and interesting places, though it was a little dangerous in places.

Now it is much more gentrified, and people actually live in DC.  Which is good in that it cleaned up the city.  But bad in that the businesses that opened tend to be grocery strokes, lots of gyms, etc.  Stuff that is useful for residents, but not fun for visitors.  And tge people who live there are policy wonks, or capital hill staffers, or lobbyists-- people who do not have the most interesting tastes.

I would say Capital City Brewing is a typical D.C. thing.  The food and beer are pretty good, if overpriced.  But basically, it's just a very upscale sports/singles bar.  You've been to a dozen places just like it.

Which isn't to say D.C. sucks.  Just that if you want to see something besides the monuments, there isn't a single place to go.  It's all spread out, you can't cover it in a day, and you probably need a local to tell you where to go.  In the old days, I could kinda be like "Go to Georgetown if you like this, go to DuPont Circle if you like that, Foggy Bottom has good food, etc.". Now it is all kinda same-y.  They destroyed Chinatown when they built MCI Center, Adams-Morgan is all gentrified, "gay area" is no longer a thing (which is good for society, though)."

Also, the whole thing has spread out even past NoVA into Maryland.  So while there are still tons of good restaurants in the "DC area," many of them are not in DC and are a 45 minute drive due to traffic.

Then again, a lot of people like seeing Capital Hill, White House, Tudal Badin, Jefferson, Licoln, Washington Monuments.  And the Smithsonian is always amazing.  You could spend an entire week going to the museums and still just scratch the surface.  So D.C. doesn't need a fun cultural thing to be cool to visit.

But honestly, if you want good food and more of a unique vibe, Richmond now beats the pants off D.C.  Which is strange to say.  Used to be, everyone from Richmond went to visit D.C. For weekends.  Now it is reversed.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2017, 09:54:12 AM »

Disaster! Surly staff, indifferent servers, shite food. We really should have left when the server spilled a full glass of water all over us and didn't even apologize. Obviously the only way this place stays in business is its prime location on King St. in Old Town, where a new crop of tourists turns up every day because they do not know any better. We know now and will never return. God, what a shitshow this place was.

It stays in business because it's a typical Irish bar.  I hate Irish bars, but DOC's is viewed as one of the "authentic" Irish bars in DC.  There are certain people just love Irish bars and will go to there every night to hear the same songs sung by the same people.  And since DC is not like NY or Boston where there are a zillion Irish bars, there are 5 or 6 that get all the business.

The same regulars who go there every night to hear the same songs sung by the same people are more than enough to keep that place afloat.  And then of course all the tourists are just even more profit.  Which means they can totally treat the tourists like shit and still make money and still have more tourists roll in so they absolutely don't care.  I suspect though, that the regulars get very good service.

Fucking hell ... go here for the strongest drinks in the city. ONE DRINK IS ALL YOU NEED. Srsly. Holy fuck we were legless for under nine bucks each. Good food, good atmosphere, bizarre (but fun) service, good prices. And did I happen to mention the crazy strong drinks? Christ.

The last of the old Chinatown restaurants.  Not because the food is great but because Tony Cheng has always been a savvy marketer and even more importantly, he knows how to grease the right palms.  He's a great restauranteur, just not such a great cook.  Still, it's a fun place to visit just to see all the photos of famous people who have eaten there, and it's kind of an institution.  And it's not like the food sucks, it's just kind of average.

Next time you are in DC, hit up the H street corridor.  It's what passes for the hipster area of DC though admittedly the Portlandia vibe can get rather cringe-y.  Still, I'd rather see young-and-rich people have fun and do what I would do if I were young and rich (buy cool shit, eat good food, go to clubs, have fun), than to see them try to turn themselves into politicians.  Also, you can go to Maketto and give my cousin a few bucks.  Although tbf, he is a James Beard finalist and Maketto's is pretty well-known and reviewed as a hipster street market in DC so it's not like it will suck to go there.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2017, 09:08:42 PM »

why alexandria?

A lot of people do this.  Alexandria is usually a bit cheaper to stay at than D.C., and you it is only a 10 minute metro ride into the city.  And there is stuff to do in Alexandria itself like Old Town, which is kind of over-priced and boutique-y, but IMO still a fun place to spend a day walking around.
The
Except it kind of isn't that convenient.  It's really more like you might walk 5-10 minutes from your hotel to the metro, wait another 5-10 minutes for your train, THEN 10 minutes into the city.  Which makes it more of a 30 minute ride that is a bit tiring.  So I can see both sides, I guess.  I think you would enjoy Alexandria more than DC.

Pretty much this. We stayed in DC last time and visited Alexandria and liked it, so this time we said, "Eh, why not just stay in Alexandria, it's only a short metro ride into DC and it's cheaper."

But Alexandria has changed a lot and is more commercialized and overpriced than our last visit. Too bad, but hey Ponyboy, nothing gold can stay.

We only went back to DC to hit up the museums we didn't get to on our previous visit, and now that we've completed our mission I think we can cross it off our list of places to revisit.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2017, 11:04:06 PM »

We only went back to DC to hit up the museums we didn't get to on our previous visit, and now that we've completed our mission I think we can cross it off our list of places to revisit.
That's too bad, MK. DC is my second favorite city (after Cincy obviously) in the US. So much to do, even after you've visited the museums. And so easy to get around. Of course I am biased, having lived there before I came to Cincy.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2017, 08:31:39 AM »

i might have driven thru alexandria years ago, but i've got far many more interesting virginian diversions to experience.  after all, i've been to damascus
poach eggs, not elephants

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2017, 05:31:26 PM »

I have just realized that I have neglected this space. Oops.

1. Mitas - Downtown Cincinnati
2. The Greyhound Inn - Corfe Castle, Dorset, England
3. Moore Spice Indian Restaurant - Wembley, London, England
4. Saffron Indian Cuisine - Eastleigh, Hampshire, England
5. Coffee#1 - Eastleigh, Hampshire, England
6. The Home Tavern - Eastleigh, Hampshire, England
8. Epicurean Mercantile Co. - OTR, Cincinnati
9. Railstop Gastropub - Alexandria, VA
10. TJ Stones - Alexandria, VA
11. Extra Perks Cafe - Alexandria, VA
13. Asian Bistro - Alexandria, VA
14. Don Taco Tequila Bar - Alexandria, VA
15. Dolci Gelati - Alexandria, VA
16. Pavilion Cafe - Washington DC
17. Terrace Cafe - Washington DC

19. Butcher & Barrel - Downtown Cincinnati

This space at the corner of 7th and Race seems cursed. Restaurants come and go with alarming frequency, and the spot has been empty since the poorly-run Blue Wisp limped out of existence a few years ago. I'd like to think Butcher & Barrel will be able to succeed where the others failed, but honestly I am not too sure.

We visited over the 4-day holiday weekend with some neighbors and none of us were overly impressed. There's not much for vegetarians - with "butcher" in the name I wasn't very hopeful anyway - but they do offer a salad or two.

The decor is kinda all over the place, as was pointed out by one of our design savvy neighbors, with farm implements hanging on the walls but there's also a nautical theme and the heads of dead animals and what not.

Bartender was friendly and didn't hover, even though we were pretty much the only customers in there (when we came in there were 2 guys at the bar but they left within a few minutes of our arrival). We had cocktails, which were quite tasty and not OTT pricewise, but then again it was happy hour. I had a quite lovely lime basil mimosa ($8). Then another. And since we were there between lunch and dinner the bartender said the only thing we could order was appetizers. So we didn't bother and just had drinks.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2017, 01:20:15 PM »

Funny you should mention the former Blue Wisp space, MK. I was literally just thinking about that the other day. A darn shame that the Blue Wisp disappeared. I went there to check out a number of jazz gigs. Always liked the place. But I think the death sentence (other than possible poor or mismanagement--of which I have zero inside knowledge one way or another) was its location. That area in downtown, halfway between the Banks and the start of OtR, is just dead, and foot traffic has evolved more and more towards either the Banks or OtR. It'll be interested to see what happens to Butcher & Barrel although I can't say I am optimistic about its prospects.

(And the Blue Wisp Big Band keeps going strongly of course--each Wednesday 8:30 pm at the Urban Artifact. In fact, I know my son went last night with several of his friends.)

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 07:00:56 PM »

1.  Fisherman's Market--Palm Springs, CA
2.  Forty Niner Café--Furnace Creek Ranch, Death Valley NP, CA
3.  Ventano Italian Grill--Henderson, NV
4.  Goldie's Route 66 Diner--Williams, AZ
5.  Barrio Queen--Gilbert, AZ
6.  O Pie O--Walnut Hills (Cincinnati), OH
7.  The Sugar Bowl--Des Plaines, IL
8.  Eveready Diner--Hyde Park, NY
9.  Jessop's Tavern--New Castle, DE  (the building was 300 years old, yummy food)
10.  Lucca--Taylor, PA
11.  Maplewood--Cincinnati, OH
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up