Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 25 Concerts for 2017  (Read 1147 times)

twentyshots

• City Elder
Re: 25 Concerts for 2017
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 09:55:44 PM »

the damned show was really good. they sounded great, were very entertaining and dressed like 5 guys from 5 different bands.
i didn't know bogarts was capable of selling a $33 ticket but this was worth it. also maybe i haven't seen a bigger act there lately.

speaking of, any extra pixies tickets floating around?
granted, i'm not super into their last 2 albums, and didn't try to hard to reserve a ticket, but it'd be wrong of me to not ask....
bongo hard or bongo home

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2017, 12:33:16 AM »

1. 4/6/17 king gizzard and the lizard wizard @ magic stick detroit
2. 4/14 great lake swimmers @ the ark ann arbor
3. moon duo/jessica lynn @ el club detroit 4/22!

4. 6/2 sigur ros @ masonic temple detroit

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2017, 11:17:00 PM »

Back from the Nelsonville Music Festival, where my daughter's band Leggy played on Friday afternoon. My first time there, and I must say, I was utterly charmed and impressed with the whole setup. This felt like Bonnaroo but on a much smaller scale. I hadn't been to any out-of-town music festivals since 2011 Lollapalooza because, frankly I have tired of the whole thing. I attended all of the first 5 editions of Bunbury here in town but not this year. I'm just done with "big" music festivals (unless Leggy is playing of course).

I only attended Nelsonfest on Friday (when Leggy was on the bill), but if I had known what to expect, I'd likely attended the whole weekend. Even on that one day, I saw so many great acts. And the whole vibe is just.... great! Not to mention that Nelsonville, an hour southeast of Columbus (2 1/2 drive from Cincy), is just gorgeous.

Great experience all around.

Bumped into Pourmesometea at the Leggy set. She was there for the entire fest, and I'm sure she'll have some thoughts to add.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 12:45:21 AM »

3. moon duo/jessica lynn @ el club detroit 4/22!
5. 6/7 Wilco @ meadow brook amphitheater, rochester hills, mi

finally caught these guys live and wow! two hours of music, a very long version of spiders(kid smoke) and two encores. the second was two songs off of "being there" which they're going to play start to finish at a festival in massachusetts. great show!

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 06:34:55 PM »

1.   1/15/2017--Muuy Biien/Leggy--MOTR Pub, Cincinnati, Ohio
2.  2/26/2017--Jason Ringenberg--Southgate House Revival (Revival Room), Newport, Kentucky
3.  3/24/2017--Chuck Prophet & The Mission Express/Chuck Cleaver--Southgate House Revival, Newport, Kentucky
4.  4/13/2017--Jonathan Richman--Southgate House Revival (Revival Room), Newport, Kentucky
5.  4/13/2017--William Matheny & Strange Constellations--Southgate House Revival (Lounge), Newport, Kentucky

6.  6/8/2017--The Joy Formidable/Cusses--Woodward Theater, Cincinnati, Ohio

Cusses are from Savannah, Georgia, which proves that the town has other things besides historic buildings.  One guy on guitar, another guy on drums, and a gal singer who was wearing an outfit that I guess was supposed to look sexy but instead made her look like a tall purse.  She drank a ton of bottled water--I hope she doesn't have diabetes and doesn't know it yet. Overall they were slightly better than average noisemakers.

This was my first time seeing the headliners.  It was a good experience.  Their music had a lot of variety and while I would have been happy with fewer effects on the guitar, it was an enjoyable show.  They talked about taking the rest of the year off the road (we'll see if that really happens_) to work on their upcoming album and coming back to the US early next year. It sounds good to me.

The balcony was closed off for the show. There were maybe 125 people in the audience.  I guess everyone else went to see Warpaint.  Maybe they'll get a bigger crowd next time around.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 06:37:22 PM by Drjohnrock »
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2017, 12:19:55 AM »

This was my first time seeing the headliners.  It was a good experience.  Their music had a lot of variety and while I would have been happy with fewer effects on the guitar, it was an enjoyable show.  They talked about taking the rest of the year off the road (we'll see if that really happens_) to work on their upcoming album and coming back to the US early next year. It sounds good to me.

The balcony was closed off for the show. There were maybe 125 people in the audience.  I guess everyone else went to see Warpaint.  Maybe they'll get a bigger crowd next time around.

seen them thrice now....each show has been a little different energy-wise.....the first time (mpmf) a few years ago, they ripped my face off. it was pretty great.
then, in 2016 on fountain square, they were good but plagued by sound issues that stopped the show a few times....that hurt any momentum going.....
last night was good but lower energy for them....and reflected by the crowd. they can also be a little gabby sometimes, which is fine, it's all good natured and kind of goofy, but definitely affects momentum too.....i don't recall so much chatter the first time i saw them.....

one common element however has been a kick ass 7 minute version of whirring that knocks the house down.
bongo hard or bongo home

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 10:08:30 AM »

3. 4/22 moon duo/jessica lynn @ el club detroit !
5. 6/7 Wilco @ meadow brook amphitheater, rochester hills, mi

6. 6/10 Cowboy Junkies @ the ark, ann arbor

two sets, two encores - the ark is such an intimate place to see a show, no talking - just sitting and listening to the artist. what a great way to enjoy the junkies.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 09:19:55 PM »

Wow. Cowboy Junkies! I forgot about them. Very cool. I'm sure they were fantastic.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 09:28:58 PM by Dan »

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 04:39:28 PM »

Heads up, Cincinnatians:

Over the Rhine plays Over the Rhine
FREE SHOW (donations to United Way to combat poverty welcomed)
Friday, June 23, 6 to 10 pm
Washington Park, OtR

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/over-the-rhine-live-at-home-concert-for-united-way-of-greater-cincinnati-tickets-34987027140?aff=PressRelease
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2017, 03:04:56 PM »

I wouldn't have gone but for my buddy really really wanting to go, but I did end up going to see U2 last night at Papa John's Stadium in Louisville on the "Joshua Tree 2017" tour, where they play the entire album in the exact same sequence.

I'm a fan of U2 (is there anyone who isn't?), but I wouldn't call myself a die-hard or uber-fan like my friend.

That said, it was an incredibly enjoyable show. The band was in fine form, and the production was top-notch, and then some.

Highly recommended, even for the mere casual U2 fan. (U2 will be playing Indy in September.)

kamera26

• Summer Resident
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2017, 04:58:50 PM »

Heads up, Cincinnatians:

Over the Rhine plays Over the Rhine
FREE SHOW (donations to United Way to combat poverty welcomed)
Friday, June 23, 6 to 10 pm
Washington Park, OtR

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/over-the-rhine-live-at-home-concert-for-united-way-of-greater-cincinnati-tickets-34987027140?aff=PressRelease

This got moved to Sunday due to weather. Still from 4p-8p.  Wonder what time OTR will take the stage?

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2017, 10:32:00 PM »

Over the Rhine will take the stage around 6 pm.

I'm thinking there;s going tho be a huge crowd for this, so plan accordingly...

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 11:57:28 AM »

from Cincinnati Bell (the concert's sponsor):

Peter Mulvey will open the show at 4 p.m.
Over the Rhine will go on stage around 5:30 p.m.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2017, 10:38:40 PM »

Delightful show at Washington Park today.

The weather was absolutely perfect.

I was surprised that, as nicely as attended it was, there weren't more people there.

I kept hoping for OtR to play their new song "Welcome Home" (the commercial for Cincinnati Bell during the Super Bowl). They did, as their 1st encore. It gave me goose bumps.

My roots grow by the river
They are deeper than the sea
My people and this city
They hold and anchor me

While we sing "Hello, Ohio"
Meet me there and you will see
When I call Cincinnati
"Welcome home," she answers me

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2017, 01:02:23 AM »

1.   1/15/2017--Muuy Biien/Leggy--MOTR Pub, Cincinnati, Ohio
2.  2/26/2017--Jason Ringenberg--Southgate House Revival (Revival Room), Newport, Kentucky
3.  3/24/2017--Chuck Prophet & The Mission Express/Chuck Cleaver--Southgate House Revival, Newport, Kentucky
4.  4/13/2017--Jonathan Richman--Southgate House Revival (Revival Room), Newport, Kentucky
5.  4/13/2017--William Matheny & Strange Constellations--Southgate House Revival (Lounge), Newport, Kentucky
6.  6/8/2017--The Joy Formidable/Cusses--Woodward Theater, Cincinnati, Ohio

7.  8/21/2017--Chastity Belt/Joseph--Roebling Point Entertainment District, Covington, Kentucly

The "Roebling Point Entertainment District" consists of Court Street in Covington, blocked off between 3rd and Park--talk about hype.  This summer, this new "venue" is presenting "River City Jam", a weekly series of concerts featuring local opening acts and national headliners, free to attendees. The somewhat sparse attendance shows they have a way to go in order to compete with the similar summer concerts across the river on Fountain Square.

In any event, it was a great evening for an outdoor show.  Not hot, little humidity.  Cincinnati's Joseph has a lead singer who sounds like Marty Balin on helium, and their most memorable tune (at least that I heard--I showed up after they started) featured a riff stolen from Link Wray's Rumble.  Whatever.

The promoter REALLY wanted Chastity Belt--they did a show last night in Portland (Oregon, not Maine), and were up all night catching planes to get to this gig.  They sounded good. My only wish is that they would play some more fast tunes in addition to their admittedly beguiling mid-tempo numbers.  Hopefully they'll came back to our area and play a gig as part of a tour that doesn't require a frantic cross country trip.

I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up