Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: 25 Concerts for 2017  (Read 1146 times)

TayFo

• City Elder
Re: 25 Concerts for 2017
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2017, 09:24:41 PM »

TayFo's definition of "a couple" is more expansive than that of most folks.  Regardless, see you at the Flamin' Groovies show.
I had a dinner to go to during Flamin' Groovies. Glad you had a good time!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 09:26:33 PM by TayFo »

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2017, 09:41:47 PM »

The Groovies went on at 10:50 PM.  Must have been a hell of a late dinner!  Anyway, I saw a guy that looked like you and would have said hi, but on closer inspection, he looked liked he was confused about where he was.  You've been to so many gigs you wouldn't have that problem.  Anyway, I did have a good time despite a lot of weird (but mostly funny) stuff happening.  During the break between Tiger Sex and the headliner, I was chatting with an old friend from Ye Old Punk Rock Days when a gal I met at a show last year who also knows my friend came up and introduced herself.  After exchanging pleasantries,  I told her we met at the Olivia Jean show back in November.  She looked embarrassed when I told her that.  I think she might have been too drunk to remember much from the Olivia Jean show.  God, I hope she isn't a member on here...
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2017, 11:20:39 PM »

The Groovies went on at 10:50 PM.  Must have been a hell of a late dinner!  Anyway, I saw a guy that looked like you and would have said hi, but on closer inspection, he looked liked he was confused about where he was.  You've been to so many gigs you wouldn't have that problem.  Anyway, I did have a good time despite a lot of weird (but mostly funny) stuff happening.  During the break between Tiger Sex and the headliner, I was chatting with an old friend from Ye Old Punk Rock Days when a gal I met at a show last year who also knows my friend came up and introduced herself.  After exchanging pleasantries,  I told her we met at the Olivia Jean show back in November.  She looked embarrassed when I told her that.  I think she might have been too drunk to remember much from the Olivia Jean show.  God, I hope she isn't a member on here...
I would have never have expected them going on that late. Party on, Wayne!

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2017, 05:32:51 PM »

I was a little surprised by that as well but (1) the show had a start time of 9:00 PM, and (2) two opening acts.  Party on, Garth!
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2017, 06:18:28 PM »

1.   1/15/2017--Muuy Biien/Leggy--MOTR Pub, Cincinnati, Ohio
2.  2/26/2017--Jason Ringenberg--Southgate House Revival (Revival Room), Newport, Kentucky
3.  3/24/2017--Chuck Prophet & The Mission Express/Chuck Cleaver--Southgate House Revival, Newport, Kentucky
4.  4/13/2017--Jonathan Richman--Southgate House Revival (Revival Room), Newport, Kentucky
5.  4/13/2017--William Matheny & Strange Constellations--Southgate House Revival (Lounge), Newport, Kentucky
6.  6/8/2017--The Joy Formidable/Cusses--Woodward Theater, Cincinnati, Ohio
7.  8/21/2017--Chastity Belt/Joseph--Roebling Point Entertainment District, Covington, Kentucky
8.   9/2/2017--Song Of The Mountains TV taping:  Jim Lauderdale/Sherman Holmes/Judy Marshall/Webb Wilder--Lincoln Theatre, Marion, Virginia
9.  9/23/2017--Cropped Out Festival (day two):  Bonnie Prince Billy & the Bonafide United Musicians (BUMs)/feedtime/Peter Brotzmann/Shit & Shine/Tyler Damon & Tashi Dorji/Frank Hurricane/Tara Jane O'Neil/David Nance/Sarah Squirm/Le fruit vert/Tyvek/Matt Jencik/Fried Egg/Rays/The Other Years/Deep State--American Turners Club, Louisville, Kentucky
10.  10/20/2017-- Flamin' Groovies/Tiger Sex/NP Presley & The Ghost Of Jesse Garon--Southgate House Revival, Newport, Kentucky

11.  11/5/2017--Crystal Bowersox--Private Event

Saw her almost two years ago to the day at the same annual event.  She was better this time because she didn't play nearly as long.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2017, 09:31:29 AM »

1. 4/6/17 king gizzard and the lizard wizard @ magic stick detroit
2. 4/14 great lake swimmers @ the ark ann arbor
3. 4/22 moon duo/jessica lynn @ el club detroit !
4. 6/2 sigur ros @ masonic temple detroit
5. 6/7 Wilco @ meadow brook amphitheater, rochester hills, mi
6. 6/10 Cowboy Junkies @ the ark, ann arbor
7. 8/11 MEW w/ monikr @ magic stick, detroit

8. 11/7 elbow w/ c.jacobs @ st. andrews hall detroit

excellent set list, full of energy, guy interacted well with the crowd, lippy kids and grounds for divorce as the encore were very emotional for me. if you haven't seen them, do. it was awesome!

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2017, 06:49:04 PM »

2.  2/26/2017--Jason Ringenberg--Southgate House Revival (Revival Room), Newport, Kentucky
3.  3/24/2017--Chuck Prophet & The Mission Express/Chuck Cleaver--Southgate House Revival, Newport, Kentucky
4.  4/13/2017--Jonathan Richman--Southgate House Revival (Revival Room), Newport, Kentucky
5.  4/13/2017--William Matheny & Strange Constellations--Southgate House Revival (Lounge), Newport, Kentucky
7.  8/21/2017--Chastity Belt/Joseph--Roebling Point Entertainment District, Covington, Kentucky
8.   9/2/2017--Song Of The Mountains TV taping:  Jim Lauderdale/Sherman Holmes/Judy Marshall/Webb Wilder--Lincoln Theatre, Marion, Virginia
9.  9/23/2017--Cropped Out Festival (day two):  Bonnie Prince Billy & the Bonafide United Musicians (BUMs)/feedtime/Peter Brotzmann/Shit & Shine/Tyler Damon & Tashi Dorji/Frank Hurricane/Tara Jane O'Neil/David Nance/Sarah Squirm/Le fruit vert/Tyvek/Matt Jencik/Fried Egg/Rays/The Other Years/Deep State--American Turners Club, Louisville, Kentucky
10.  10/20/2017-- Flamin' Groovies/Tiger Sex/NP Presley & The Ghost Of Jesse Garon--Southgate House Revival, Newport, Kentucky

12.  11/19/2017--Webb Wilder/Warsaw Falcons--Southgate House Revival, Newport, Kentucky
13.  11/21/2017--Pere Ubu/Johnny Dowd--Woodward Theater, Cincinnati, Ohio

I don't think Webb Wilder is capable of putting on a bad show.  Despite his Mississippi birth and voice that shows it, this is no country performer.  Webb plays straight up rock and roll.  Hope he's able to carry on for many years to come.

The Warsaw Falcons haven't improved much since last I saw them eons ago when the gal I was with and I left before their set ended.  But we then met up with a couple of friends of mine and went to the Jockey Club.  My friends were impressed that the gal was from England.  Ended up being a great evening.  So that's one good memory that's loosely connected to the Warsaw Falcons.

I'm a huge fan of Johnny Dowd and hadn't seen him in well over a decade.  Johnny toned down the eccentric touches a bit (just a bit) and included a lot of great guitar work from both himself and Mike Edmondson.  He included a couple of tunes from his forthcoming album of songs that are all in the public domain, one of which was Tom Dooley, played in a way The Kingston Trio never imagined.  The crowd gave Johnny an enthusiastic reception for an opening act.  Hope McCabe brings him back to headline at MOTR.

Pere Ubu's music was as strange, offbeat and powerful as it ever was.  And while I try hard to judge the art, not the artist, vocalist Dave Thomas seemed to be competing with The Fall's Mark E. Smith for some kind of Frontman Who's The Biggest Jerk award.  His berating of audience members who did nothing but blab was justified, but doing the same to his band members over nothing was not.  It would be poetic justice if Johnny Dowd's music career took off to the point he could hire Thomas' band away from him.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2017, 10:11:03 PM »

12.  11/19/2017--Webb Wilder/Warsaw Falcons--Southgate House Revival, Newport, Kentucky
13.  11/21/2017--Pere Ubu/Johnny Dowd--Woodward Theater, Cincinnati, Ohio

14.  11/25/2017--Straight No Chaser--Aronoff Center, Cincinnati, Ohio

Meant as an early Christmas present for my wife and kid but I went along as well.  Not my usual thing but they're good at what they do and don't take it too seriously. The best number of the evening was a medley of tunes from Disney movies that changed a lot of the words and basically trashed Disney.  Dig it!

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2017, 09:18:49 PM »

1. 4/6/17 king gizzard and the lizard wizard @ magic stick detroit
2. 4/14 great lake swimmers @ the ark ann arbor
3. 4/22 moon duo/jessica lynn @ el club detroit !
4. 6/2 sigur ros @ masonic temple detroit
5. 6/7 Wilco @ meadow brook amphitheater, rochester hills, mi
6. 6/10 Cowboy Junkies @ the ark, ann arbor
7. 8/11 MEW w/ monikr @ magic stick, detroit
8. 11/7 elbow w/ c.jacobs @ st. andrews hall detroit

9. 12/3 mogwai w/ xander joseph @ majestic theater, detroit, mi

how could i forget to take ear plugs after the last time i saw them! my ears are still ringing. my whole body was vibrating all show. wow. they didn't interact much with the crowd but did they rock! new paths to helicon, pt1 was the highlight. closed with we're no here from mr. beast. amazing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up