Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Cincinnati Reds 2017  (Read 6976 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Cincinnati Reds 2017
« on: January 19, 2017, 02:10:56 PM »

Today is as good as any day to pick up where we left things off last year with the Reds. Meaning: not very well.

Although I love today's move methinks:

CINCINNATI -- The Reds appear to be going with a buy-low, sell-high move with starting pitcher Dan Straily. On Thursday, they sent Straily to the Marlins for right-handed pitching prospects Luis Castillo and Austin Brice and outfielder Isaiah White.

According to MLBPipeline.com, Castillo was Miami's fifth-rated prospect, while Brice was ninth and White ranked 16th.
A waiver claim from the Padres just before Opening Day, Straily was 14-8 with a 3.76 ERA in 34 games -- including 31 starts -- with 191 1/3 innings pitched. He led the pitching staff in wins, innings and strikeouts (162). After the season, Straily was voted as the Reds' pitcher of the year in local awards.

Straily, 28, also co-led the National League with 31 home runs allowed (tied with Max Scherzer), with 24 being solo shots. He should have better results pitching in a bigger space like Marlins Park, but he will need a strong defense behind him like he had in Cincinnati.

Clearly, Straily's value was at its peak and the Reds decided to be aggressive to take a risk and deal him. In recent years, the club was criticized for holding on to a player too long and moving him after his value declined. Closer Aroldis Chapman and third baseman Todd Frazier were two such examples in 2015 before they were dealt last offseason.

Although Straily put together a strong 2016 season and was considered a good teammate and clubhouse presence, some could view him as a candidate for regression based on his track record. Before he went to the Reds, he was 13-13 with a 4.60 ERA in 52 games (45 starts) with the A's, Cubs and Astros. But general manager Dick Williams was able to take a pitcher the Reds got for nothing and flip him for three prospects.

"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: Cincinnati Reds 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 11:18:48 AM »

Any time you trade with the Marlins, it's a good trade.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 12:33:19 PM »

Do tell?

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 12:38:36 PM »

my guess, farm system? 

while a great move, it's hardly bold.  it's incredibly lucky to begin with 
poach eggs, not elephants

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 12:52:50 PM »

and everyone's favorite problem is gone.  now we can focus our frustration on homer bailey.  gonna miss dat dude, but it was unfortunately time

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 03:25:07 PM »

Reds are responsible for all but one million of his 2017 $14 million salary...

I will miss his, strictly from a fan's perspective. What a defensive player!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 10:47:21 PM »

Reds recently signed Brandon Arroyo, now 40. I have no idea what to expect, if anything. Loved the guy when he was here for all those years. But does he have anything left? Hasn't played in the majors in 2 years.

All that aside, I've gotten more interest from clients and friends of the firm in the late September series at GABP against the Red Sox than any other home stand. Wow. By then, I surmise the Reds will be 35-40 games out of it, if not more. Then again, those clients and friends are Red Sox fans...

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 10:37:59 PM »

Disco out and not available for Opening Day. Oh boy.

This could be a 100 loss season.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 11:11:32 AM »

Happy Reds Opening Day!!

Looking out my office window onto GABP and the Banks, and right now things are looking good (as far as the weather goes). They've made part of the Banks car-free and I can see tons of people scrolling about already.

As a complete aside, I am amazed that the space that previously housed Crave remains vacant. How can a space located literally across the street from the Reds stadium not find a way to be profitable?!? Be it as an up-scale-ish restaurant or as a 'regular' sports bar or whatever.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 12:05:00 PM »

This season is going to be a fucking nightmare.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 01:00:39 PM »

Just for you: Doc's column in today's Enquirer on "How to enjoy the Reds this season"

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/blogs/daugherty-blog/2017/04/03/morning-line-43/99975672/

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 02:33:00 PM »

that's certainly one way to approach it.  i think it's exciting.  it's not like the late nineties and aughts where they merely fielded a club.  rebuilding seems to be a trend these days.  i have little faith in the organization, but the amount of talent on paper is intriguing, even if they could have done better on the trading block

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 03:07:56 PM »

that's certainly one way to approach it.  i think it's exciting.  it's not like the late nineties and aughts where they merely fielded a club.  rebuilding seems to be a trend these days.  i have little faith in the organization, but the amount of talent on paper is intriguing, even if they could have done better on the trading block

Many of the players that are supposed to be "the future" are not even with the big league team yet, though. 

And who carries 13 pitchers?  What's the point?

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 03:13:50 PM »

well, seven rooks they say.  and cozy is gonna be moved for herrera.  he and peraza could be a tinkers and evers.  or an utley and rollins if you will.  the offense has potential, it's just up to the staff to get less jabberwocky

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 12:07:18 PM »

Curious: when you guys have been watching Joey Votto over the years, have you felt like he's a future Hall of Famer? Yes? No? Some of the time?

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/78325/players-who-can-help-their-hall-of-fame-chances

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up