Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Cincinnati Reds 2017  (Read 6977 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: Cincinnati Reds 2017
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2017, 10:52:17 PM »

Like seriously, what is Eric Thames OPS'ing against the Reds?!?  Like, 10,000.00?!? 

Your scouting report on the dude is wrong.  FIX IT.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2017, 10:23:55 AM »

i think our only option is to hit him
poach eggs, not elephants

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2017, 05:33:50 PM »

And another trashing courtesy of the Brewers today! Wow, this is getting very ugly very quickly.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2017, 10:00:56 PM »

At least Thames didn't hit a home run.  Although Orlando Arcia did, which might even be worse.

Wouldn't say it was a bad loss overall, though.  I don't think anyone believed Rookie Davis was going to be a stud or anything.  He is not part of the rebuilding core.  He and Arroyo will get hammered probably fairly often, and it really doesn't matter.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2017, 11:55:14 AM »

I honestly didn't think the Reds would make it back into first place this season.

Suck it Cubs, we're going wire to wire, with that first wire being May 8th!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2017, 10:41:41 PM »

I was at the Reds-Yankees game Monday night. Seemed like it was an away game, with TONS of Yankees fans, and very vocal at that, holy cow. Are these people traveling from NY for this? Or is there a latent huge Yankees fan base in Greater Cincinnati?

Glad to see the Reds come back and win tonight. The game was not on the usual Fox Ohio (Thom Brenneman/Chris Welsh), but instead on FX1. I watched part of the game, and honestly, these announcers were unlistenable as compared to the usual Reds announcers. Just terrible.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2017, 01:36:39 PM »

Curious: when you guys have been watching Joey Votto over the years, have you felt like he's a future Hall of Famer? Yes? No? Some of the time?

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/78325/players-who-can-help-their-hall-of-fame-chances
Intrinsically, Votto is HOF material.

What I think will hurt him is that he never played on a winning play-off team. Amazingly, the Reds have not won a single play-off series in forever, and obviously that includes all the years Votto has been here.

So... Votto: very talented player, 1 NL MVP season, but no play-off trophies to show for it.

I think what hurt him were the injuries.  If he'd stayed healthy there would be a nice streak of maybe 7 MVP or near MVP seasons.  But he had the anxiety thing in 2009.  He was having a monster year in 2012 in what probably would have been peak season, then missed a bunch of games for knee surgery.  And then he lost most of 2014.  So, he kind of never got the momentum he needed.

If he can put together 2-3 more years at about the level he is now, his career numbers might give him a shot.  But even then I don't think he will get in on account of just never having a sustained level where he was one of the best five players in the game.

He's a Hall of Fame TALENT for sure.  But you have to be a little lucky with health to get into HoF, and Votto wasn't lucky.

Just saw this on twitter here:
https://twitter.com/theaceofspaeder/status/862889542998687745
Players with a better career batting average, on-base percentage, & slugging percentage than Joey Votto:

Williams
Foxx
Gehrig
Hornsby
Ruth

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2017, 02:21:35 PM »

I'll say this for Votto. 

During his prime, and maybe even now, there is no player I hated more seeing at bat against the Cubs in a pressure situation.  Not Braun, not Holliday.  You throw a ball, he does not swing.  You throw in the corner, he pokes it for a single.  If it's over the plate, it's a double or HR.  The crowd does not get to him, ever because he's so focused and unemotional.  And I was actually glad he was like that, because to the extent that he showed emotion, the dude HATED the Cubs.  And he ENJOYED hating the Cubs.

Which was fair.  Because I really enjoyed hating Votto, too.  There's nothing more fun than rooting against a guy you actually respect a lot simply because he plays for the wrong team and relishes beating his rivals.

The only good (or maybe it's bad because it made it less fun) thing about it was that the Cubs pretty much sucked the whole time, and then things kinda flipped so when the Cubs were really good the Reds weren't much of a problem.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2017, 03:00:28 PM »

When all is said and done (in another 6 or 7 years), I think Votto will be seen as one of the greatest ball players of this generation.

BUT: lack of silverware, plus playing on a small market team, plus injuries, likely will doom his chances to get into the HOF.

PS I kinda miss hating the Cubs. When they were trash for so long, it just was easy to do. Nowadays, not so much anymore. Ok, not at all. But the 'hate' for the Cubs is not genuine. The hate for the Cards, on the other hand, now that is genuine, and ever-lasting!

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2017, 04:18:13 PM »

The hate for the Cards, on the other hand, now that is genuine, and ever-lasting!

It's even more intense than the hate for the Dodgers during the Reds-Dodgers rivalry in the 70's. And all of the other Central Division teams' fans also seem to hate the Cardinals as well.  It's like the Cards are the stuck up preppies of baseball.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2017, 08:31:33 PM »

The Cardinals are the only team in baseball I could be said to "hate."   I want them to lose regardless of how good or bad either the Cubs or Cards might be.  The Cardinals could finish in the cellar of the NL Central for five years, and it would make me very happy.  But there would still be some disappointment they didn't finish even farther in the cellar and I would still root for them to finish as deep in the cellar as possible for the next five years and for all time.

I hate the other NL Central teams only when they are in the Cubs way.  If we stink and the Reds stink, I want to win vs the Reds but otherwise do not care.  If we stink and the Reds are good, I don't even mind much losing to the Reds.  Higher draft pick for us, better chance that the Cardinals don't get into the post-season.

The only team I disliked more than the Cardinals was the Astros when they were in the NL Central.  Whether they won or lost made no difference.  Their very presence in the NL Central offended me.  I didn't want them to lose, I wanted them not to exist.  But it wasn't really the club's fault or anything.  Now that they are in the AL, I actually kind of root for them a bit.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2017, 10:22:18 AM »

reds fans want so much to be the cardinals rival.  it would at least be nice to be respected

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2017, 11:33:58 PM »

reds fans want so much to be the cardinals rival.  it would at least be nice to be respected
I'm not sure where you're going with this, honestly.

We may or may not be the Cardinals rival. Prob not (the Cubs are the more natural rival).

Doesn't take away my dislike for the Cards. I'd rather see the Cubs, or Pirates, or the Brewers, do well before the Cards.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2017, 09:48:37 AM »

Now that they are in the AL, I actually kind of root for them a bit.

This is how little I follow baseball at this point, I had no idea that the Astros had moved to the AL.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2017, 10:25:24 AM »

I'm not sure where you're going with this, honestly.

We may or may not be the Cardinals rival. Prob not (the Cubs are the more natural rival).

Doesn't take away my dislike for the Cards. I'd rather see the Cubs, or Pirates, or the Brewers, do well before the Cards.

just my impression.  just like the steelers.  i'd rather have the cards do well (since more often than not, they will) than the brewers or butt pirates.  simply because it's tough enough with the cubs good again as well.  can't have three other teams you don't have a chance against. 

but with this team, the future could be surprising.  i really like how many arms they've stockpiled.  i don't follow other teams as much, but has any team had this many young arms competing for spots? 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up