Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Cincinnati Reds 2017  (Read 623 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • No, THIS is 41.
Re: Cincinnati Reds 2017
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 12:59:34 PM »

Borderline.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 02:48:11 PM »

Curious: when you guys have been watching Joey Votto over the years, have you felt like he's a future Hall of Famer? Yes? No? Some of the time?

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/78325/players-who-can-help-their-hall-of-fame-chances
Intrinsically, Votto is HOF material.

What I think will hurt him is that he never played on a winning play-off team. Amazingly, the Reds have not won a single play-off series in forever, and obviously that includes all the years Votto has been here.

So... Votto: very talented player, 1 NL MVP season, but no play-off trophies to show for it.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 03:54:22 PM »

It never occurred to me that he might be HOF material until today. He would need to put up high-production numbers for the next 5 years (probably) to make it. I don't really think baseball HOF really emphasizes playoffs (as compared to basketball) so I think he could get a pass there.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 09:30:23 PM »

Curious: when you guys have been watching Joey Votto over the years, have you felt like he's a future Hall of Famer? Yes? No? Some of the time?

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/78325/players-who-can-help-their-hall-of-fame-chances
Intrinsically, Votto is HOF material.

What I think will hurt him is that he never played on a winning play-off team. Amazingly, the Reds have not won a single play-off series in forever, and obviously that includes all the years Votto has been here.

So... Votto: very talented player, 1 NL MVP season, but no play-off trophies to show for it.

I think what hurt him were the injuries.  If he'd stayed healthy there would be a nice streak of maybe 7 MVP or near MVP seasons.  But he had the anxiety thing in 2009.  He was having a monster year in 2012 in what probably would have been peak season, then missed a bunch of games for knee surgery.  And then he lost most of 2014.  So, he kind of never got the momentum he needed.

If he can put together 2-3 more years at about the level he is now, his career numbers might give him a shot.  But even then I don't think he will get in on account of just never having a sustained level where he was one of the best five players in the game.

He's a Hall of Fame TALENT for sure.  But you have to be a little lucky with health to get into HoF, and Votto wasn't lucky.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2017, 03:46:36 PM »

Don't look now, but the Reds bullpen is outstanding again this afternoon, bailing out the starting pitcher with 6 innings of shut-out baseball.

Reds have a winning record after 3 games! Woohoo!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2017, 11:04:41 PM »

The Reds pen is actually pretty decent this year.  It would hard to be worse than last year, of course.

The other problem is that it is coming at the expense of the rotation because they shifted Iglesias and Lorenzen.  Which I think they had to do because of health/endurance issues but now their rebuilding SP core looks a lot worse.

I think Reed will be an okay mid- to backend starter.  Rookie Davis will probably not be anything.  If DeSclafini can stay healthy, that could be another mid-rotation guy.  Who knows with Stephenson.  If it pans out, Stephenson, Desclafini, Reed could be a solid 1-2-3.  Or you might end up with one #4 starter out of the whole bunch.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 09:29:18 AM »

And don't forget about Homer Bailey!!!

Oh wait.... that ain't happenin' no more  :-\

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2017, 10:47:01 PM »

when can i officially get excited? 
poach eggs, not elephants

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • No, THIS is 41.
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 07:28:55 AM »

There was a thread on RedsZone that said "what record would the Reds need in April before we feel they can legitimately contend?"

The first response was "24-3".  I don't think it was sarcastic.  I probably agree with it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2017, 10:42:37 PM »

The Reds were outstanding again this evening at the Pirates. Bullpen lights out again!

5-2 for the year now after one week of play. I can't hardly believe it, and wonder if this is just a complete mishap (in the best possible of ways), or whether this team could actually be good, or at least not super-bad (as I had expected them to be)?

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2017, 10:03:58 PM »

There was a thread on RedsZone that said "what record would the Reds need in April before we feel they can legitimately contend?"

The first response was "24-3".  I don't think it was sarcastic.  I probably agree with it.

You can officially start feeling the first faint stirrings of excitement for 2018 and beyond at this point, though. 

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2017, 09:11:27 AM »

it is pretty cool to finally see all these new pitchers.  that staff has the potential to become unsustainable with all that talent.  a good problem to have.   
poach eggs, not elephants

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2017, 03:53:47 PM »

Looks like the Reds' luck has run out. Losers of 4 in a row, and they may well get swept by the Cubs.

Oh well, at least it was an unexpected fun initial 3 weeks of the season.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 10:23:19 PM »

The beatdown the Reds are taking from the Brewers is more problematic than dropping 2 of 3 to the Cubs.

The Cubs are in their window.  And yeah, they have tons of money and a ridiculously young core allows them to extend the window maybe a few extra years.  But it's still hard to stay on top.  The Cubs rotation is getting older and they will need to revamp it after the season if not before.  And they are getting shitty draft picks so the pipeline will dry up.  That's what happens to good teams.

But the Brewers and Reds are two teams that went for the rebuild around the same time.  So they are in the same window.  Except the Brewers are better than the Reds right now, AND have better prospects in the pipeline.  And they still have Braun as a trade chip on a relatively decent contract.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2017, 10:32:35 PM »

The beatdown the Reds are taking from the Brewers is more problematic than dropping 2 of 3 to the Cubs.

agreed entirely. Watched part of tonight's game, and it was brutal <sigh>

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up