Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good night, Lou Reed  (Read 2281 times)

Bubba McBubba

• Citizen
    • Place Logo Here
Good night, Lou Reed
« on: October 27, 2013, 04:31:30 PM »

I'm still struggling to wrap my brain around it: Lou Reed died today at 71 years of age.

There are no words that can do justice to the man who wrote the lines, "what do you think I'd see/if I could walk away from me?".

Fuck.

twentyshots

• City Elder
Re: Good night, Lou Reed
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 10:51:33 PM »

i struggled with some of lou's later work, but there is no denying the brightness of his creative fire and the impact his VU and early solo stuff had on me growing up. although the last thing i remember him working on was that metric song, i was pretty surprised to hear he died.
bongo hard or bongo home

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 11:03:49 PM »

I saw Lou Reed in concert one time in my life, it was around 1979 or 1980 when I was still living in Belgium. It was at a huge outdoor music festival called "Jazz Bilzen", which really wasn't all that much about jazz. There were tens of thousands in attendance. Blondie was on the bill too. Lou Reed headlined and people wanted to hear his hits, but he had other ideas. He put on an experimental show with songs most people (including myself) didn't recognize. People got restless, and eventually started booing and then throwing things like tomatoes and other things onto the stage. Wild. But Lou simply continued.

I can't say that I was/am a huge Lou Reed fan, although I do have one album of his in my extensive CD collection: 1975's "Metal Machine Music", which as I'm sure you know is essentially a 75 min. (on vinyl it was a double album) collection of unlistenable feedback and just noise. At that point, Lou Reed was HUGE commercially and he decided to flip off the record label, and his fans, with this release. I believe it still is the most significant F*UK YOU album ever released by an artist who then was huge, and the reason I bought it when it was released on CD many years ago. I simply had to hear it for myself. Reed famously commented that "anyone who can listen to that start to finish is even dumber than I imagined". I never have, giving up on multiple occasions after 5 or 10 min., simply scratching my head... "what was the man thinking?", but for historical reasons I'm glad to have it in my CD collection,

RIP Lou Reed.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 07:32:41 AM »

Lou was such a survivor that I somehow mistakenly believed that he would survive death.

Really gutted that he has passed. RIP LOU.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Fourthisto

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 07:50:11 AM »

"Will your ashes float like some foreign boat,
or will they sink absorbed forever?
Will the Atlantic Coast have its final boast,
nothing else contained you ever"

RIP.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 11:19:28 AM »

I was fortunate enough to see him perform two songs with Metric about a year ago. It was a special moment, and unexpected, and with his passing it makes having seen him even more precious.

RIP good sir.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 02:34:47 PM »

Lou Reed's 1989 album "New York" was released right at the star of the year. Traditionally a time when record labels would try to break new bands rather than promote established artists.

So when the album was offered to me I was dubious about it. His previous offering, Mistrial, was an utter dud. The label gave me a pre-release copy of it which I drove around with - on constant repeat - for about three weeks before I was due to order it for my ickle store.

To say I loved it was an understatement. Although barely recognised by many people it was, and is, an album that HAS to be listened to in its entirety. A concept album. You can cherry pick songs but in doing so you take away from the beauty of the 'whole'. I thought it was a magnificent piece of work, probably Lou's best since "Transformer".

For a little store like mine I took a HUGE pre-sale punt on it, ordering almost 300 copies. This meant I got a massive discount from the label, but importantly also meant I could keep it at the lowest price possible for as long as possible to ensure it got into as many homes as I felt it deserved.

I tried to pitch it to as many of my 'real muso' punters as I could, also realising that it had mainstream appeal too IF people would give it a chance. I sold it on a "like it or return it" basis to loads of people who would never have considered having a Lou Reed album in their collection. Less than a dozen came back. I'm a little bit proud of that.

My love for it was qualified later that year when it picked up oodles of awards and plaudits in year-end polls and votes. By this time I was probably 1000+ sales in, ordering it in batches of 25-50 at a time.

There are many albums whose 'history' in my little indie store have been long forgotten. Hype, nonsense, overkill, media bullshit (why, hello Oasis) but this album from the great, and now sadly late, Lou Reed will always stay with me.

Go get it from your collection. Play it from beginning to end. Play it now. Revel in its mastery.
Opulence. I has it.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 02:45:29 PM »

I saw Lou at Music Hall in 1989 (cue "man, are you old" joke).  The first part of the show was songs from the then-new New York, while the second part was older material.  It was a great concert.  Lou was in an uncharacteristically good mood, even telling the audience twice near the show's end "it's been nice playing for you" without a hint of sarcasm.

RIP, Lou.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 09:21:04 PM »

I saw Lou at Music Hall in 1989 (cue "man, are you old" joke).  The first part of the show was songs from the then-new New York, while the second part was older material.  It was a great concert.  Lou was in an uncharacteristically good mood, even telling the audience twice near the show's end "it's been nice playing for you" without a hint of sarcasm.

RIP, Lou.
short of a velvet underground concert, that sounds like it was the best time to see him. i really liked new york and regret never seeing him live.

been reading a lot of these statements from fellow musicians on his passing...bowie, gabriel, iggy pop, patti smith...the BIGS....the list goes on and on and they are all melding into one. no one tries to hide the fact that he was often a difficult guy when it came to interviewers (and even downright rude at times) but they all say the same thing: behind the prickly exterior he was a really thoughtful, loyal guy who loved music and maybe never imagined he would be in such a limelight and couldn't hide his insecurities.

anyway, this video used to freak the shit out of me.

http://www.metacafe.com/embed/sy-36166905001/

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 09:25:56 PM by twentyshots »
bongo hard or bongo home
Pages: [1]   Go Up