Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Local festivals, national acts  (Read 141 times)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Local festivals, national acts
« on: May 09, 2017, 12:34:53 PM »

So every year Sycamore Township has a 2-day festival featuring (kinda washed up) national acts. In past years they've had Kansas, Grand Funk Railroad, Elvin Bishop. You get the picture.

This year's acts are Ambrosia, Marshall Tucker Band and Greg Kihn Band. It's July 14-15 at Bechtold Park.

In other news, Fort Mitchell is having a festival this year to celebrate its 150 birthday and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones are playing. It's July 8 at Tower Park.

This year's main act for Red, White & Blue Ash (July 4 at Summit Park) is REO Speedwagon.

The Health & Wellness Expo in Washington Park last week had Dayton funk band Zapp as the headliner. Last year it was the Ohio Players and the year before was Bootsy Collins (which got rained out).

All of these festivals are free.

Are these national acts that cheap, or have city budgets really increased?
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Local festivals, national acts
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 02:02:40 PM »

I had no idea that Zapp played last week at Washington Park!! Would've loved to see them. Still have their greatest hits CD somewhere. Did you see them, MK? If so, how was that?

While we're at it, the featured bands at this year's Taste of Blue Ash (Aug 25-26) are Blessed Union of Soul, Loverboy, and Big & Rich (the country act). This is the weakest lineup ever that I can recall, and I've lived in Blue Ash for over 20 years.

Not all that interested in any of the bands that MK mentions in her post.

Best community summer festival (and of course free) in my book these days is the annual Northside Rock & Roll Carnival, this year scheduled for July 3 and 4.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 02:04:11 PM by euro60 »
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 02:19:57 PM »

This year's acts are Ambrosia, Marshall Tucker Band and Greg Kihn Band. It's July 14-15 at Bechtold Park.

In other news, Fort Mitchell is having a festival this year to celebrate its 150 birthday and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones are playing. It's July 8 at Tower Park.

Are these national acts that cheap, or have city budgets really increased?

I saw Greg Kihn in 1981 (I know, I know "man you're old") at Bogart's.  He sucked.

Not a big fan of Mighty Mighty Bosstones but if it's free, what the hell, I might go.

As to your question, the answer is probably a little of both.  I hardly think that The Marshall Tucker Band commands the same kind of of $ they got  back when they headlined arenas.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 02:30:42 PM »

Sorry to correct you, Euro, but that would be "Blessid" Union of Souls.  Either way, blech.

I think these acts are just that cheap these days, MK.  The Bosstones' fan base must be down to about nothing, which is unbelievable.  I would have thought they could still sold a respectable number of tickets without doing the nostalgia festival circuit.  Also, what a weird band for one of these types of shows.  They usually get milquetoast has beens because they're pretty universal, but the Bosstone's have always been a very niche act.

Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 02:32:09 PM »

As to your question, the answer is probably a little of both.  I hardly think that The Marshall Tucker Band commands the same kind of of $ they got  back when they headlined arenas.

I don't think anybody is saying anything different but you'd still think they could do better than the free municipal festival circuit.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 05:31:53 PM »

I saw Greg Kihn in 1981 (I know, I know "man you're old") at Bogart's.  He sucked.

I saw him open for Rick Springfield at the ATP Tennis facility in Mason in 1983/84. Yep, he still sucked. But damn didn't I want the Chuck Taylor's he was wearing.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 05:34:19 PM »

I had no idea that Zapp played last week at Washington Park!! Would've loved to see them. Still have their greatest hits CD somewhere. Did you see them, MK? If so, how was that?

CR and I were planning to go but I had booked a pedi at Spruce during the time they were playing and didn't want to cancel/change it. I know. Lame.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 05:48:34 PM »

I think these acts are just that cheap these days, MK.
I tend to agree with this. And I think that is true for a large segment of the music business. If you're not in the top 1 percent, you're not making a lot of money.

Does anyone remember the one-off Desdemonia festival at Sawyer Point in 2006 or 2007? It had bands like Apples in Stereo, Ghostface Killah, The Sundresses, Stellastarr, Mates of State, The Walkmen, Mates of State, etc. By happenstance, I eventually found out what the bands in the Desdoman line-up were paid, and I was amazed/shocked at how little it was.

Link to the complete Desdemona line-up:
https://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=9249.15;wap2
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 09:23:42 AM »

Does anyone remember the one-off Desdemonia festival at Sawyer Point in 2006 or 2007? It had bands like Apples in Stereo, Ghostface Killah, The Sundresses, Stellastarr, Mates of State, The Walkmen, Mates of State, etc. By happenstance, I eventually found out what the bands in the Desdoman line-up were paid, and I was amazed/shocked at how little it was.

I vaguely remember this.  I wouldn't have gone, that's twice as much Mates of State as I would have been able to stomach.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 11:33:39 AM »

CR and I were planning to go but I had booked a pedi at Spruce during the time they were playing and didn't want to cancel/change it. I know. Lame.
Plus it had pissed with rain all day and more was threatened. I like Washington Park but not when it's that MOIST
Opulence. I has it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up