Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resource for Writing Topics to Help Someone Write More  (Read 262 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Resource for Writing Topics to Help Someone Write More
« on: May 30, 2017, 04:37:30 PM »

Friends who write on the reg,

Please list/post some of your favorite links or blogs or ideas for helping someone start a writing routine.

Thanks!
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

daytime drinking

• City Elder
Re: Resource for Writing Topics to Help Someone Write More
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 07:19:18 PM »

keeping a notebook in my back pocket has become an essential part of my wardrobe.  i always think i'll remember something and if i don't i'd chalk it up to not being that important of an idea.  but now i revisit those ideas and expound, not necessarily fodder for stories.  i don't keep it as a journal but rather for whatever mundane thought comes into my head.  it's also great for daily observations, especially if you're a public transit user
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 02:15:55 AM »

https://www.reddit.com/r/WritingPrompts/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thirty-Six_Dramatic_Situations#The_36_situations

I do like daytime drinking. But I use my phone and computer.  Just jot down any phrases that come to my head, or something interesting I see, bits of overheard conversation that amuse me.  If I see an interesting photo, I save it.  Also any ideas for a start of a story a la reddit writing prompts.

Save them all up.  Read through them periodically and then expand anything that seems interesting to a paragraph or more.  At some point you get enough jigsaw pieces to make a story, and that story is always more interesting than if I try to intentionally write a whole plot or story from scratch.

If you want a routine, write two paragraphs on one of your stored bits everyday.  Don't try to make them perfect.  Don't try to inject philosophy or anything deep.  No fancy prose.  Try not to think at all. Just write down two paragraphs in five minutes. No longer.  Even if it is just a literal description or list of what's in photo or a near-verbatim rewrite of a conversation. 

This way, it's not something that requires so much effort you can't stick with it.  Plus learning to shut off your brain and just let ideas flow is pretty important.  And then also, your laziness works to your advantage.  Because you don't even want to write two paragraphs sometimes, or the idea/photo/event wasn't as cool as you thought it was. So you learn to describe and dismiss things really simply and capture a tone or event in just a sentence or two.

When I do this, I actually do five things:  1)  I write a title.  2)  I write a one word summary-- it can be a tone, emotion, a highlight, whatever.  But just one word, 3)  If there are people involved, I name every character 4)  Less than two paragraph description, 5)  What I would use for a theme song if this were a scene in a movie.  I can do this all in 5 minutes, but it took me some time to get comfortable doing so.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 09:31:59 AM »

Thanks, Villains!

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 10:43:07 PM »

not thinking has helped me a tremendous deal.  it's pretty tough not to think but answers revel themselves to me as my mind begins to wander.  it's enchanting 

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 09:42:31 AM »

I found this book very helpful / enjoyable / challenging:

She has some wonderful things to say about writing, and at the end of each brief chapter suggests a writing exercise that focuses on what she just discussed.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 08:19:17 PM »

This site is pretty cool: http://750words.com/
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 05:35:22 PM »

Cool!
I need to work on my writing. I write a fair amount for work, but it's pretty clinical, and I usually sound pretty formal in it. I'm intrigued by fiction- I love to read it, I have never written any, and have no aspirations of being an author/writer, but I do love weeeeerrrrdddddssss!

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 08:44:25 AM »

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, NICE!

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 09:03:17 PM »

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, NICE!

Though, now I see they expect you to pay to use the site, which, meh. I don't think I realized when I signed up a few years back that it was pay to play. But you get the idea, and you can use something free and track your daily word counts other ways. Who doesn't love elaborate spreadsheets?
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 07:20:08 AM »

Tell me more about these elaborate spreadsheets.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 11:46:34 PM »

yeah, come on, spread em

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 08:48:31 PM »

yeah, come on, spread em

Oh they're spread. Sings, "Like Buttah!"

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 11:00:49 PM »

when i want to write with intention but i can't come up with anything good, i just write my memoirs.  comes out thick as gravy

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 10:23:16 AM »

you could also do what my buddy and i have done which is to find out your other buddy who lives in the neighborhood just took in his buddy who happened to teach creative writing at miami (i think) and is willing to meet up with you once a month to discuss your project which he is enthusiastic about.  it's therapeutic.  my wife says he sounds pompous and has to leave the room holding back her laughter.  we clearly don't see eye to eye on everything.  but i explained that he's from berkeley and she said, ohh.  my buddy and i have dubbed our writing team the ladies of leisure.  it's an homage to the woman in our lives who work for our living to make them one day become prosperous ladies of leisure.  some hard working woman they are
Pages: [1]   Go Up