Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: World Cup 2018  (Read 4991 times)

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Re: World Cup 2018
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 07:54:23 AM »

You know, I've watched a lot of soccer in my life. But I've never seen Burkina Faso v. the Cape Verde islands.

Until today.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 11:16:58 PM »

As Dave Merrington would say, "what the Saints need to do here is put the ball in the back of the net."
"If that had gone in, it woulda been a goal"
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 03:41:14 PM »

WC draw took place today. I don't see a Group of Death?!? And still weird not to see Italy, Chile, the US and Holland in there...

The draw, with FIFA's October rankings that were used for seedings:

▪ Group A: Russia (65), Uruguay (17), Egypt (30), Saudi Arabia (63)

▪ Group B: Portugal (3), Spain (8, Iran (34), Morocco (48)

▪ Group C: France (7), Peru (10), Denmark (19), Australia (43)

▪ Group D: Argentina (4), Croatia (18), Iceland (21), Nigeria (41)

▪ Group E: Brazil (2), Switzerland (11), Costa Rica (22), Serbia (38)

▪ Group F: Germany (1), Mexico (16), Sweden (25), South Korea (62)

▪ Group G: Belgium (5), England (12), Tunisia (28), Panama (49)

▪ Group H: Poland (6), Colombia (13), Senegal (32), Japan (44)

"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 03:44:59 PM »

I think the weirdest thing is that Portugal, Spain, and Morocco are all in the same group. They are all right next to each other! Amazing! Does Iran have any history with those countries?

Uruguay got the best group, from their perspective.

They aren't "groups of death" but maybe D or E are the toughest?

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 07:59:24 PM »

They re-did the draw procedure so that the pots were aligned by FIFA ranking instead of geographically. While the FIFA rankings certainly aren't perfect, and the host country still goes into Pot A (even though Russia is the lowest-ranked team in the field), theoretically Pot A is meant to have the best teams, Pot B the second-best teams, and so on. Hence, no Group of Death.

Basically, it was a change meant to eliminate the Group of Death, and it appears to have worked.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2017, 08:01:06 PM »

Of course, the fix is still in. Russia's the worst team, and they still managed to get drawn in a group with the second-worst team, thus improving their chances of sneaking into the knockout round.

Putin and his sweet, sweet oligarchy money paid off FIFA, of course.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2017, 11:54:02 PM »

Of course, the fix is still in. Russia's the worst team, and they still managed to get drawn in a group with the second-worst team, thus improving their chances of sneaking into the knockout round.

Putin and his sweet, sweet oligarchy money paid off FIFA, of course.
agreed 100%

Anything related to Russia involves a fix.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the upcoming Winter Olympics. By all means, there should be no Russian "athletes" competing.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2018, 03:28:49 PM »

The World Cup opens 4 weeks from today!!!!

I'm getting excited.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 12:32:41 PM »

Who do you all think are going to win? Thoughts on your surprise teams (aka Turkey 2002, Costa Rica 2014, etc) or even your surprise flame-outs (France 2010)?

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 01:14:24 PM »

Who do you all think are going to win?

Duh. Russia. See below.

Anything related to Russia involves a fix.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2018, 11:14:44 PM »

Watched today's friendly Belgium vs. Portugal, ending in a 0-0, and pretty much a listless game for the most part. The Red Devils damn be much better than this if they are going to make a deep run into the WC <sigh> Of course, it's just a friendly, and tons of substitutions were made (on both sides). Renaldo didn't even play.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2018, 04:05:20 PM »

Fascinating look at what went wrong with Team USA's WC qualifying (and beyond that):

https://www.theringer.com/2018/6/5/17428184/2018-world-cup-us-soccer-inside-story-jurgen-klinsmann-sunil-gulati-bruce-arena

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2018, 10:56:29 PM »

So the WC is finally underway. Watched the opening game Russia-Saudi Arabia tonight (in relay). Both teams are the lowest-ranked in the FIFA rankings to be in the WC. Russia won 5-0, wow, this is after they couldn't win a single game of their last 7 friendlies leading up to the WC (for which they were automatically entered).

Couple of things: the ref was outstanding, yes, it needs to be said. Clear and commanding decisions all around, hence no need for the (maybe dreaded) VAR.

Also, no dirty play between the teams, and no time-milking when it could've been done. The final score was grossly unrepresentative of the game (2 of Russia's goals came in the 90+ min).

I can only hope this is a sign of things to come. We shall see...

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2018, 10:26:35 AM »

I thought the score was fairly representative.  Saudi Arabia's defense was a joke. The only reason the score was not worse was because they were holding the ball for 10 minutes at a time just passing it back and forth and Russia with the lead and knowing they could counter was happy to let them waste time and get sucked in.

To their credit though, I was expecting very little from Russia but they looked sharp. It wasn't ALL SA just sucking, only like 80%.

At the end, Saudi Arabia was tired and just kind of gave up.  I mean, in a way 5 goals is a super ass-kicking so maybe the gulf wasn't that big.  But 3-0 is a pretty dominating result already.  Suffice it to say there was a HUGE gap in the level of play to the extent that the result was never in question and it was in no way close.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2018, 04:05:22 PM »

Today has been a fun match day. Deciding goals in extra time for two matches and a 3-3 draw with a hat trick for Ronaldo in the final match.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up