Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: World Cup 2018  (Read 137 times)

euro60

• City Elder
World Cup 2018
« on: June 12, 2017, 02:55:27 PM »

We have exactly a year to go before the start of the WC in Russia, so it's time for a proper thread.

Anyone watch the Mexico-USA WC qualifier last night? I did (on Univision, for good measure). Parking the bus is always a huge gamble, but this time it paid off for Team USA. Mexico had about 75% of the possession, but couldn't convert (except that one time). I thought Guzan reacted slowly on the goal by Mexico. Why didn't he do a cat leap into the corner? Michael Bradley's goal was out of this world.

Anyway, looks like Bruce Arena has settled down the team, or at least prevented a complete free fall when Klingsmann was let go.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • 42!
Re: World Cup 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 07:19:21 AM »

Yes, I watched it.  I have no idea why DeMarcus Beasley or Brad Guzan are playing for the national team at this point, but they both hooked up to allow that goal.

Christian Pulisic is really the biggest difference between a year ago and now.  He is a World Class player, and even when he is not dominating the midfield, he still draws a lot of attention... and even one slip up defending him can result in a chance (his missed goal with about 15 minutes to go at the top of the box was just a shank... happens to everyone).

Looking at the US schedule, they should expect 10 points from their last 12, if not all 12.  Shouldn't have any trouble finishing top 3... looking forward to seeing more of Nagbe and Pulisic.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 12:14:50 PM »

I can cut Guzman some slack on the goal.  He was caught flat footed, not expecting that shot, in that area.  A gap opened up and Mexico was quick to seize on it.  Made it look easier than it was and Guzan looked more foolish. 

Bradley's goal was kind of similar.  Keeper looks like an idiot for getting chipped but really Bradley just saw an opening and executed quickly and perfectly.

Both goals were a little fluke-y.  They were both good plays from situations where 9 times out of 10 nothing happens.  Sure, maybe if you are Ronaldo or Messi or something you score those types of goals with regularity, but those guys are not at that level.

Agree that Puselic looks legit.  I don't think I would put him in like the top 50 players in the world but he could get there.  But he is at least a real attacking threat that you can't just put a man on and mark him out.  It takes some sort of scheme, which opens things up for others.  IMO, he should optimally play on the wing but probably for us we need him in the middle.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 11:01:40 PM »

If the Gold Cup is any measure for what Team USA is going to do next year, oh boy, it's not going to be pretty, if they qualify at all.

I realize that to date this had been Team USA's mostly "B team" in the Gold Cup, but still, it hasn't been pretty (and I'm being generous).
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 10:14:42 PM »

What in the ever living fuck just happened.

Fire everyone.  March on Washington.  Slash Arena's tires.  Inject Gulati with Hep-C.

Unbelievable.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 10:38:06 PM »

Going into tonight, Team USA had a 93% chance (per the computer calculations as the TV announcers told us) of qualifying.

Then, everything that could go wrong, in fact did go wrong.

Team USA sleepwalked through the entire game, even when things were dire. What were these guys thinking? No sense of urgency, none, even in the dying moments.

Just thought I'd mention that Team USA (currently ranked #28 in the FIFA rankings) was playing Trinidad & Tobago (currently ranked #99).

I agree with Butter. Complete house-cleaning is necessary.

What in the world is Micheal Bradley still doing on this team? He was absolutely pathetic. Not to single him out (ok, yes, I am pointing him out), as the rest wasn't much better.

I just want to vomit.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:46:22 PM by euro60 »

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 10:48:13 PM »

If the Gold Cup is any measure for what Team USA is going to do next year, oh boy, it's not going to be pretty, if they qualify at all.

Turns out, they didn't qualify at all......

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 02:41:10 AM »

Bruce Arena, lol.

Pretty stupid for the pundits to blast the players though.  I think accusing players of “no heart” is just a sign of how bad things are.

One, we don’t have that much talent.  Two, there are still reasons we lost.  Let’s look at the tactics, eh?  And third, if the players have no heart, then who picked these jackasses and failed to instill in them the proper mental fortitude?

Gulati sucks.  We’ve known this for a long time.  Arena is not the coach to take the team to the next level.  We have also known this for some time.  And USSF sucks for all of this— poor leadership, poor decision making, poor choice of staff, poor player development.

Let’s not turn this into in England situation and choice some weird, non-quantifiable thing like “heart” to blame this on when there are so many obviously glaring concrete flaws that we can fix easily if we stop being stupid and/or corrupt.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 09:29:47 AM »

Pulisic: awesome. World Class.

Not sure about anyone involved after that. There are some good players but I don't know about great players.

Butter

• City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 09:51:50 AM »

You've probably already seen this, but

Taylor Twellman is not happy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up