Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: World Cup 2018  (Read 5699 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: World Cup 2018
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2018, 10:00:22 AM »

Belgium is totally capable of winning it all.  I'd argue they might even be paper favorites.  I would have said that last time too, though.  I think Martinez is a better manager which should help.

I just don't know why they play tentative so often when they are capable of the kind of attack they showed in the second half.  I mean, you have to give Japan some credit.  Two wonderful goals.  And Belgium did push things a bit, which helped tire Japan out.  They've looked a lot better than last World Cup.  But they still lack that bit of confidence that would take them over the top.  Maybe this game will give it to them.

They can totally beat Brazil.  They should beat Brazil, easily in fact if they play their game.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2018, 10:35:17 AM »

Belgium is totally capable of winning it all.  I'd argue they might even be paper favorites.  I would have said that last time too, though.  I think Martinez is a better manager which should help.

I just don't know why they play tentative so often when they are capable of the kind of attack they showed in the second half.  I mean, you have to give Japan some credit.  Two wonderful goals.  And Belgium did push things a bit, which helped tire Japan out.  They've looked a lot better than last World Cup.  But they still lack that bit of confidence that would take them over the top.  Maybe this game will give it to them.

They can totally beat Brazil.  They should beat Brazil, easily in fact if they play their game.

I don't know about "easily".  Belgium's defense didn't look great yesterday.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2018, 03:23:59 PM »

This game kind of sucks.  Colombia playing carefully-placed but pointless risky little through passes in their own third before booting the ball aimlessly toward Falcao.  England just a pile of crap plus Kane.

Getting tired of the ref taking 10 minutes to separate players just so England can shank a free kick.

That should never have been a penalty.  For the usual reason of that didn't merit a PK, but also because what was the point of that committing that foul anyway?  It shouldn't have been a penalty because the event should never have occurred.

The proper call for that should have been indirect free kick from outside the box and a red card to Colombia for idiocy.  Both teams should be eliminated for playing such a crap match.  Jesse Jackson wins the car.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 03:27:44 PM by Zafer Kaya »

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2018, 07:48:48 PM »

Why the fuck are England winning when I can't drink?

Penalty shoot-out and ITV curse* broken.

*Weird stat that said (something like) when England's WC games have been on BBC in the UK they'd won 90% of them, but when they'd been on ITV they'd lost 90% of them. Or some bollocks like that. Anyway this one was on ITV.
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2018, 12:13:23 AM »

CR, England must play a lot better if they are going to beat the Swedes, who may turn out to be THE surprise of the WC. Who needs Ibram?

ZK, I completely agree with you. The Red Devils have so much talent on offense. Throw the shackles off! This is what so frustrated me when Belgium lost in the 2014 quarters against Argentina. Far too restrained and conservative. I hope they won't make the same tactical decision against Brazil on Friday.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2018, 11:13:41 PM »

Reading the Belgian press today, the general feeling among the Red Devils is that they recognize the upcoming game on Friday vs. Brazil is THE moment to make this so-called "golden generation" truly special. "The biggest game for us", as Vincent Company terms it.

On the Brazilian side (per the Belgian media I've read), they recognize the talent of the Belgium, but really this is just another game for them (says Willian).

And that sums about it up for me, really, David vs. Goliath. I hope it's going to be epic, no matter the outcome.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2018, 07:01:54 PM »

Belgium!

Belgium!!!!

Belgium!!!!!!

The "golden generation" finally delivers on the promise. What a dag for Belgian football!!!!!!!

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2018, 11:17:04 PM »

CR, England must play a lot better if they are going to beat the Swedes, who may turn out to be THE surprise of the WC. Who needs Ibram?
ENGLAND!
ENGLAND!!
ENGLAND!!!!!
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2018, 11:50:58 PM »

CR, I think we may be heading to a rematch of Belgium-England for all the marbles....<knocking on wood>

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2018, 10:59:15 PM »

Coming up: Belgium vs. France

Can I get some love, or at least moral support for the scrappy lil' Belgians? We need ya!

I think I aged about 10 years in the last 20 min. of the game against Brazil, when they scored and made it 2-1. I have no idea what to expect for tomorrow, other than me being "inexplicably unavailable" in the afternoon. But most clients who know me well know this already....

noonan

« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2018, 09:21:26 AM »

Can I get some love, or at least moral support for the scrappy lil' Belgians?

I love them. So much talent and teamwork that it's impossible not to enjoy watching them play.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2018, 01:20:44 PM »

Terrific offensive football team.  But it is their defense that will do them in, if anything.  France is like Belgium but a little bit better all around.

Maybe Courtois has the game of his life.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2018, 03:24:44 PM »

Yeah, Belgium's defense is a little soft but offset by Courtois.

I dunno, I kind of root for England and in the normal case I'd be happy to see them win it all.  But they got such a bullshit easy draw it would kind of piss me off if they won it this year. 

TBF, the WC is very even this year so while I believe that France and Belgium are both better than England and Croatia they aren't THAT much better.  It's more that those teams had to play tough opposition to get where they are.  England had a crap group and then beat a Rodriguez-less Colombia and not-so-great Sweden.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2018, 07:37:45 PM »

i was rooting for belgium, but alas. euro, your interest and insights into the red devils made them a compelling team to watch. thanks for that!

all the remaining teams have decent players to root for: mbappé, kane, and modric. as we've seen, one player doesn't make a win; it takes the team. not sure which team i'm going to root for now.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2018, 11:54:05 PM »

So disappointing for Belgium, but I will give credit to France's game plan.... don't get any open spaces, sit back, and just wait.... One brilliant set piece (the corner) is all it took. <sigh>

So proud of the Red Devils. Thank you guys

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up