Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: English Prem Season 2017-2018. (Liverpool, there's always next season)  (Read 1715 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: English Prem Season 2017-2018. (Liverpool, there's always next season)
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 12:49:46 PM »

I'm glad we never found a place to watch that Liverpool/Spurs match yesterday. YEEEEEESH.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 03:37:34 PM »

Koeman Out (at the Toffees)
Puel In (at The Foxes)

Aaaaand, it's aaaaalllllll Soufampton, all Soufampton FC.....
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 11:00:39 PM »

Does anyone see another team taking over ManCity for the league title? I don't see it. And Kevin De Bryune being player of the year? It might happen, but as of now, he is the leading candidate IMHO
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 07:25:20 AM »

I knew it was a mistake to let him go. Although he went on loan and then got hurt, he always did the business for me in FM and, for what it's worth, that is usually a pretty good indicator. Those ratings are done with meticulous research - it's not like they pull the numbers out of thin air.

I knew it would bite us in the rear when he came back to the EPL with City. But Mourinho got a bug up his ass about a player and wanted him gone, like he usually does.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 06:51:58 PM »

What in the world is happening with Southampton? They are in a complete free-fall. Now 17th in the standings, tied on points with Stoke in 18th.

That aside, there's been a bunch of great PL games over these last 2 weeks.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 07:40:37 PM »

They decided to take a stand on Virgil Van Dijk this summer. 

The resulting uncertainty over whether he would stay or go ate up all their attention this summer.  It also made them focus more on finding a replacement at CB, instead of looking for the attacking players they really needed.

Then Van Dijk decided to pout so he did not play much and when he did he half-assed it.

The good news of course is that they were able to sell VVD at the astronomical price they were asking.  So after Celtic takes their sell-on cut, Saints will have 60m pounds to spend.

But will they spend it?  And is so will they spend it wel?

Do it right and they can bring in more than enough firepower to avoid relegation and set themselves up for the next year and beyond.  Do it wrong and they will be playing in the Championship next year.

They also sacked Puel, of course.  He played a somewhat bland but effective style.  Not sure if he was sacked for that or if something else was going on behind the scenes.  But at any rate the supporters definitely wanted more excitement. Now they are finding to their chagrin that a boring 0-0 draw is better than a 3-0 loss.

Just typical small club shenanigans, really.  I canít harsh on the club too much.  They could concentrate on just finishing 13-15 every year.  Or they could go for it and most likely fail spectacularly.

I think Leicester City got lucky in that they were good the year when the big clubs were bad and needed to change strategies.  And they won before their players got picked off or stopped trying due to fat contracts.  Man City pretty much punted that season to win the next 3.  So we wonít see that again.

The worst thing a club can do is finish in the top eight.  The big clubs will just pick off all your best players.  Saints finished top half too many years. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 11:24:07 PM »

They also sacked Puel, of course.  He played a somewhat bland but effective style.  Not sure if he was sacked for that or if something else was going on behind the scenes.  But at any rate the supporters definitely wanted more excitement. Now they are finding to their chagrin that a boring 0-0 draw is better than a 3-0 loss.

I think Leicester City got lucky in that they were good the year when the big clubs were bad and needed to change strategies.  And they won before their players got picked off or stopped trying due to fat contracts.  Man City pretty much punted that season to win the next 3.  So we wonít see that again.
Sacking Puel was a bad decision, from all I can tell...

That Leicester City actually WON the PL title 2 years ago is going to be the best "underdog" story for decades. It still seems so surreal. Did that really happen? I was in a pub in London when Tottenham failed to win their game that night, hence securing the title for Leicester. People were high-fiving (very un-British in my experience), but we all realized that Leicester had achieved something very, very special. Leggy played a gig in Leicester a few days later (reason I was in the UK in the first place), and I implored my daughter to give a shout-out to the Foxes winning the PL title (which she did, to a roaring crowd, from what she told me later--I wasn't at that show)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2018, 01:58:32 PM »

My thoughts:

Alan Pardew is a very good manager.  He's also a dick.  I can understand why he keeps getting hired.  People know he's good and he often gets good results for awhile before he pisses off the Board and/or his players and gets sacked or performance suffers leading to him getting suacked.

I think Allardyce and Pulis are both good managers if you have a hard-working but not-so-talented squad.  Therefore, they keep getting hired by relegation-endangered clubs to keep them up.  And then they get sacked when those teams eventually get relegated or continue to suck.  I think Allardyce might be better than people think, but has never really gotten the chance to manage a decent club.  I think Pulis sucks and just plays straight-up thug ball so I would totally hire him if I were desperate to avoid relegation and I'd totally fire him as soon as the season were over.

I don't know why people keep hiring Moyes, Hughes, and Hodgson.  They had successful spells early in their careers but it's been long apparent that was luck and they'll never do it again. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 02:17:31 PM »

Anyone know why so many of this weekend's Premier League games are postponed?

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 02:24:35 PM »

Which matches are postponed? I don't see any news about that. Matches are an hour later for us because the UK didn't spring ahead yet.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2018, 02:39:29 PM »

FA Cup.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2018, 11:24:25 PM »

Man City is all but set for the PL coronation next weekend if they beat Man United at home. And honestly, will anyone bet against that?

I watched Chelsea-Tottenham today, what a complete dismantling that was by the Spurs. Hazard was invisible. Wow. Chelsea out of Champions League next year.

Meanwhile, the relegation fight is more ferocious than ever, and more compelling than the top teams at this point. It will make for great watching in the next 5 weeks.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2018, 09:38:09 AM »

Here are some thoughts on Southampton:
  • Jack Stephens is a Championship caliber defender
  • Wesley Hoedt is a backup/3rd centerback
  • Dusan Tadic must be an alpha male in person, or in the locker room, or be simply legendary on the practice field, because every manager puts him in and I never understand it. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to sell him off just so we don't have to play with 10.5 players every game.
  • The team can't score, which is a problem that I don't have enough soccer knowledge to fix, but I would imagine that when we're down 3-0 at half, subbing one attacking player for another wouldn't really be wise. Keep all the offense you can on the field! What's the difference if there are additional goals conceded - at least be trying to score.
  • I love Bertrand and Cedric, so we've got some nice defense there, but we are feeling the difference between having a Fonte or VVD back there and ... not.
  • Frankly, the first half of the West Ham game was an embarrassment to watch. After the last 2 Premier League games were embarrassments to watch, I would have thought the team would have gotten some spark in them or found some way to motivate.
  • At this point I think many of the players are counting on relegation and therefore would demand to move on to stay in the Prem. I think it serves most of them right to play in the Championship, except I don't want most of them on our team.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2018, 10:28:35 AM »

Lemina has great skills but makes way too many mistakes.  I'd be interested to see him try playing attacking mid. The rest of our midfield is rather blah.  They work hard, but they aren't that fast (Davis used to be but not anymore).  They are good at keeping the ball moving but can't shoot, can't beat a man off the dribble, and lack creativity in their passing.  Hojbjerg is more defensive-y and Davis and JWP are more attack-ish.  But they are similar.

All of our wingers blow.  That's the big problem.  That means we have no real creative attacking players and we can't move the ball down the sidelines unless Bertrand or Cedric do it, which leaves us exposed in the back.  And Bertrand doesn't look too into it anymore.

Stephens might still come good.  He doesn't really have a position, though.  He's not quite a cultured, ball-playing CB, but he's not physical or brutally defense oriented enough to play classic CB either.  I think he's okay-ish, but you have to keep his role simple.

Essentially we have a hard-working (though not so much anymore), blue collar team that can keep possession and if properly coached can play defense as a team well enough to frustrate opponents slightly by slowing them down.  Basically Puel had the team set up perfectly with the possession-oriented diamond 4-1-2-1-2.  But everyone decided that was too boring and we would rather lose 3-0 than win 1-0 in an ugly game.

The blame lies solely on the board.  They have not been spending the necessary money and are being super greedy.  They should have sold VVD this summer, which would have given them the money and time to find a replacement and bolster the attack.  Instead they spent the entire transfer season tied up in the VVD saga-- not wanting to spend for a first rate CB but not wanting to be caught short and not get a CB.  And then VVD left and the club had oodles of cash but no one to buy.  And now they will probably just pocket it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up