Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: English Prem Season 2017-2018. (Liverpool, there's always next season)  (Read 334 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: English Prem Season 2017-2018. (Liverpool, there's always next season)
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 12:49:46 PM »

I'm glad we never found a place to watch that Liverpool/Spurs match yesterday. YEEEEEESH.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 03:37:34 PM »

Koeman Out (at the Toffees)
Puel In (at The Foxes)

Aaaaand, it's aaaaalllllll Soufampton, all Soufampton FC.....
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 11:00:39 PM »

Does anyone see another team taking over ManCity for the league title? I don't see it. And Kevin De Bryune being player of the year? It might happen, but as of now, he is the leading candidate IMHO
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 07:25:20 AM »

I knew it was a mistake to let him go. Although he went on loan and then got hurt, he always did the business for me in FM and, for what it's worth, that is usually a pretty good indicator. Those ratings are done with meticulous research - it's not like they pull the numbers out of thin air.

I knew it would bite us in the rear when he came back to the EPL with City. But Mourinho got a bug up his ass about a player and wanted him gone, like he usually does.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 06:51:58 PM »

What in the world is happening with Southampton? They are in a complete free-fall. Now 17th in the standings, tied on points with Stoke in 18th.

That aside, there's been a bunch of great PL games over these last 2 weeks.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 07:40:37 PM »

They decided to take a stand on Virgil Van Dijk this summer. 

The resulting uncertainty over whether he would stay or go ate up all their attention this summer.  It also made them focus more on finding a replacement at CB, instead of looking for the attacking players they really needed.

Then Van Dijk decided to pout so he did not play much and when he did he half-assed it.

The good news of course is that they were able to sell VVD at the astronomical price they were asking.  So after Celtic takes their sell-on cut, Saints will have 60m pounds to spend.

But will they spend it?  And is so will they spend it wel?

Do it right and they can bring in more than enough firepower to avoid relegation and set themselves up for the next year and beyond.  Do it wrong and they will be playing in the Championship next year.

They also sacked Puel, of course.  He played a somewhat bland but effective style.  Not sure if he was sacked for that or if something else was going on behind the scenes.  But at any rate the supporters definitely wanted more excitement. Now they are finding to their chagrin that a boring 0-0 draw is better than a 3-0 loss.

Just typical small club shenanigans, really.  I canít harsh on the club too much.  They could concentrate on just finishing 13-15 every year.  Or they could go for it and most likely fail spectacularly.

I think Leicester City got lucky in that they were good the year when the big clubs were bad and needed to change strategies.  And they won before their players got picked off or stopped trying due to fat contracts.  Man City pretty much punted that season to win the next 3.  So we wonít see that again.

The worst thing a club can do is finish in the top eight.  The big clubs will just pick off all your best players.  Saints finished top half too many years. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 11:24:07 PM »

They also sacked Puel, of course.  He played a somewhat bland but effective style.  Not sure if he was sacked for that or if something else was going on behind the scenes.  But at any rate the supporters definitely wanted more excitement. Now they are finding to their chagrin that a boring 0-0 draw is better than a 3-0 loss.

I think Leicester City got lucky in that they were good the year when the big clubs were bad and needed to change strategies.  And they won before their players got picked off or stopped trying due to fat contracts.  Man City pretty much punted that season to win the next 3.  So we wonít see that again.
Sacking Puel was a bad decision, from all I can tell...

That Leicester City actually WON the PL title 2 years ago is going to be the best "underdog" story for decades. It still seems so surreal. Did that really happen? I was in a pub in London when Tottenham failed to win their game that night, hence securing the title for Leicester. People were high-fiving (very un-British in my experience), but we all realized that Leicester had achieved something very, very special. Leggy played a gig in Leicester a few days later (reason I was in the UK in the first place), and I implored my daughter to give a shout-out to the Foxes winning the PL title (which she did, to a roaring crowd, from what she told me later--I wasn't at that show)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up