Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Vietnaw War  (Read 2040 times)

euro60

• City Elder
The Vietnaw War
« on: September 17, 2017, 10:52:28 PM »

The new Ken Burns documentary, "The Vietnam War", started on PBS tonight. It's an 18 hr. event, and tonight was the 90 min. premiere. It has been praised critically from what I've read and I couldn't wait to see it.

Tonight's first episode covered "1868 to 1961", basically the French colonization and the eventual push back by some guy named Ho Chi Min, who, it turns out, was quite sympathetic to the US in his early years. Fascinating stuff. And I'm leaving out a lot of details (a very young JFK, just to give you a teaser).

Anyone else watching it? If not, I'd readily recommend you do (I'm sure there are repeats on PBS before the next episode).
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Re: The Vietnaw War
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 09:21:16 AM »

I hope they spelled Vietnam correctly in this documentary.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 10:26:12 AM »

Episode 2 (last night) was even better than Episode 1. This is must-watch TV, period.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Paco

• Tourist
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 06:11:08 PM »

I plan on catching this tonight, thanks! In case anyone missed the first installments (like me), at the moment they are available for streaming at pbs.org.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 08:56:00 AM »

Will only be on PBS apps for a couple of weeks, so don't dilly-dally.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 09:12:00 AM »

We are now 4 episodes (7 hrs.) into the series, and it just keeps getting better and better. Last night's episode ended at June, 1967, and we are now into the very thick of the all-out war. I cannot contemplate this will have another 8 years to go before it's all over. In any event, not having grown up in America, this is proving to be an eye-opening (and gut-wrenching) experience and education.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 03:39:10 PM »

I know I sound like a broken record, but last night's Episode 5 was possibly the best yet.

Many are aware that John McCain was shot down when he flew a mission over Hanoi. He broke a leg, both his arms, and was pretty much left for dead. Last night's episode included amazing footage of a barely-recovered McCain being interviewed in the Vietcong prison-hospital by a French journalist. After the footage of that interview, the documentary's voice-over added that McCain was beaten up by the Vietcong after that interview, for now showing enough remorse and not thanking the Vietcong for being treated nicely. Just chilling. It also leaves me with even more disgust for Trump, who belittled McCain during the presidential campaign for having been a prisoner of war. Shameful. Trump is not even worthy of carrying McCain's jocks.

I don't think I mentioned this before, but the documentary's original score is composed and performed by NIN's Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, and is outstanding. These guys know how to bring a movie score!

Paco

• Tourist
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 04:36:47 PM »

I'm with ya. Last night was incredible. The saga of the taking of hill 875 left me speechless. I think I've seen some of the McCain footage before (his story alone is unbelievable just for the accident on the USS Forrestal). As a bonus, there are repeat showings at various times of day, right now I'm catching the parts of episode 4 that I missed.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 04:40:48 PM by Paco »

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 04:42:31 PM »

Juliana and I heard one of McCain's co-captives speak at a corporate conference once, it was moving, for sure. 
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 02:14:04 PM »

I hope they spelled Vietnam correctly in this documentary.

hahaha!  vietnaw.  it's like someone believing it was a hoax
poach eggs, not elephants

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 11:14:54 PM »

Maybe my unintended misspelling of this thread is not so bad after all...

Tonight's episode (8 of 10) left me in tears, literally.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 10:24:21 AM »

there was never a doubt in my mind that the spelling was not a bad thing
poach eggs, not elephants

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 11:57:13 AM »

Last episode tonight!!! I can't believe this is finishing up already.

Yesterday's Episode 9 was once again jaw-dropping. The flat-out bold and repeated lying by Nixon bordered on the surreal. Actually, it was beyond surreal.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 02:20:29 PM »

I didn't see the episode, but based on your sentence above and our current sitting president....it sounds par for the course.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 03:26:46 PM »

Yesterday was not the best day, mood-wise.

First there was the final, final sign-off from WNKU. I listened to the last hour and there was quite a bit of emotional stuff going on. The program director sobbed openly on air and could barely make it through her thank yous for the staff and listeners, and the DJ announcing the very last song got completely choked up as well. (Which of course got me welled up too.) The very last song was Talking Heads' This Must Be The Place, and when the song's fade-out ended, that was it... just white noise. What a loss for the local music community!

Just two hours after that, I watched the 10th and last episode of the Vietnam War, and that too got me completely wiped out emotionally. All the senseless deaths and what have you not. And then the part about the Vietnam Wall in DC. If that didn't get to you, you don't have a beating heart. My cat Mimic knew something wasn't quite right with me, and sat patiently on my lap, looking up at me as if to say, "it's alright, buddy, I've got ya covered".

I'm sure there must've been more impactful documentary series before this, but if you asked me to name one, I can't right now.

The Vietnam War should be required viewing for all HS kids. (Not that that is ever going to happen, I realize.)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up