Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 2018 Midterm Elections  (Read 6539 times)

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
Re: 2018 Midterm Elections
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2017, 11:14:00 AM »

What's the word on the street, ZK? Northam? Gillespie? Too close to call?
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2017, 02:19:00 PM »

What's the word on the street, ZK? Northam? Gillespie? Too close to call?

My feeling is Gillespie.  I have always thought he would edge it out, though.

It did not help that in he last week Northam self-destructed.  Gillespie's thing has been that he will sign a bill that will ban sanctuary cities.  Which Northam and other liberals have been using to point out how crazy Republicans are, because there are no sanctuary cities in Virginia.  You're banning nothing.

Then suddenly a few days ago, Northam suddenly says that he too would sign a bill banning sanctuary cities if it were presented to him.  Which promptly lost him the endorsement of several far left groups. 

I used to be able to get a good read on elections because my old district was pretty much 100% Democrat.  So, all I had to do was look at the turnout.  Like I knew Obama had won when I saw that the line was 4 blocks long and filled with white VCU students.  Then I knew Clinton was in trouble 8 years later when the line was 2 blocks long and mostly black students plus some young white liberals in their late 20's/early 30's.  Basically it was the same young people who voted for Obama, just 8 years older.  The college kids did not turn out.

My new place this time was filled with mid 30's to mid 50's, wealthy, white people driving new but practical crossover SUV's and wearing business attire.  Could mean anything.  It is a purple District in recent elections.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 08:01:10 PM by Zafer Kaya »

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2017, 04:53:49 PM »

Yeah, that doesn't sound good for Northam...
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2017, 07:59:15 PM »

Looks like a fairly big Northam win. 

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2017, 08:20:17 PM »

The ZK Political Barometer is apparently broken.

Either that, or you changed polling precincts. ;)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2017, 08:35:33 PM »

The ZK Political Barometer is apparently broken.

Either that, or you changed polling precincts. ;)

Yeah, I moved to a wealthy area of town.  It is half younger, moderate liberals who are upwardly mobile.  But it also has the most old-school, old-fashioned, Uber-rich assholes, too.  Colonial mansions and English manors with huge lawns.  Like even the super rich, young, lawyers who are conservative don’t live there because they would rather live in the hipper areas of town.

You know that douchebag Rick Gates who was indicted by Mueller?  He lives there.  Just a few blocks from my house.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2017, 08:45:13 PM »

Wow.  This is turning into an ass-whuppin.

The Dems actually have a shit at taking the House of Delegates, which I thought was totally impossible.  Manoli Loupassi might lose my District, which actually kind of sucks as he is a good person and good delegate.  I felt super bad voting against him.  In a normal year, I would have voted for him without a second thought.

Loupassi is a very moderate Republican.  He criticizes the far right, and crosses party lines on votes with some regularity.  Particularly on social issues when the GOP are being dicks. 

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2017, 08:50:12 PM »

You know that douchebag Rick Gates who was indicted by Mueller?  He lives there.  Just a few blocks from my house.

Say no more...

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2017, 08:51:39 PM »

How's Justin Fairfax going? I take it he'll probably win too?

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2017, 09:09:35 PM »

How's Justin Fairfax going? I take it he'll probably win too?

Yes.  But oddly he is winning by less than Northam.  Can’t figure that one out.

It would seem like some conservatives rejected Gillespie for not being Trumpian enough. Because Vogel did better. But then the Republicans got blown out in the delegate races including some fairly conservative districts. 

At any rate, it looks like Vogel will lose.

Hard to see this as anything other than a massive rejection of Trump and the far right.  Breitbart is acting like it is because Gillespie is establishment.  And Trump is saying it is because Gillespie did not embrace Trump... whatever that means.  But that ignores all the other races they lost where the candidates had no problem trying to glom on to Trump.

My guess is Trump starts deleting his pro-Gillespie tweets in the next few hours.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2017, 09:22:24 PM »

Haha.  Bob Marshall lost to Danica Roem.  That is so deliciously awesome.

Marshall is one of the absolute biggest turds in politics who proudly proclaims himself to be a homophobe.  He is an absolute loon.  I would say he is a typical far right jerk, but even a decent chunk of the far right can’t stand him.

Danica Roem becomes the first transgender person elected to Virginia state office.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2017, 09:25:20 PM »

Say no more...

Apropos of nothing, I just heard that it looks like your neighbor Rick Gates might get his ankle monitor switched off soon. So at least he can flee the country walk his dog again soon.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2017, 09:31:15 PM »

Marshall is one of the absolute biggest turds in politics who proudly proclaims himself to be a homophobe.  He is an absolute loon.  I would say he is a typical far right jerk, but even a decent chunk of the far right can’t stand him.

Danica Roem becomes the first transgender person elected to Virginia state office.

That's just great.

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2017, 03:05:44 PM »

Awesome Virginia and Pennsylvania results, glad to see it.

I liked this quote about the turnout and what may be happening, from http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/election/article183451431.html

>“If you’re a GOP incumbent in a heavily suburban, college-educated district, I think you’re worried today, and rightfully so,” said veteran Republican strategist Chris Wilson.

Trump won an Electoral College victory without the support of some of those voters, while others, seeing the race as a binary choice between Trump and Hillary Clinton—who also had high unfavorable ratings—reluctantly backed him. The concern is that, without facing that stark choice again, some of these suburbanites may be inclined to more actively consider Democrats going forward.

“Clinton was such a horrible candidate that distaste for her may have held back the swing of college educated whites towards the Democrats,” Wilson said. “If that’s true, it’s a real problem and one that Republicans must address prior to 2018.”
<
-- Mark

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2017, 03:13:31 PM »

That's just great.

x2!!!
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up