Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Abandoned Movies 2018  (Read 1190 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Re: Abandoned Movies 2018
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 07:06:12 AM »

Roma

This film will win every award. I know this is true because I couldn't stand it. An absolute epic film-school art-house movie and to call it "deliberately paced" is an insult to the word "deliberate."

THERE WAS A WHOLE SCENE OF A MAID WALKING AROUND A HOUSE TURNING THE LIGHTS OFF!
A WHOLE SCENE!

Ugh. I know that euro loves it, and the NY Times reviewers, but ... ugh. Just ugh. We watched at least half - I know I saw the New Years scene - so I feel I gave it a real effort. But how about something interesting actually happening? How about some characters actually interacting like humans? 

You probably turned it off right before stuff started happening.  Not joking.  I probably would've gave it a 5 or 6 up until the final hour.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 11:37:06 AM »

Alas. If your movie is boring for an hour+, I can't really say that's on me.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 06:58:58 AM »

With all due respect, there's boring and then there's boring in the way that this was, which was setting up a lot of stuff to go down.  The whole idea is that this girl's life IS boring, she has a lot of day-to-day stuff which generally involves taking care of the kids, mopping the floor, going around and turning the lights off that is BORING.  She finds it boring too.  She loves the kids but she doesn't love the life in large part because it is boring.  There's always something to be done, and it's not exciting in any conventional way.  But she makes the most of it.   The opening credits where it's like 3-4 minutes of mopping.  You were supposed to get the idea that this is what her life is.  It kinda sucks.  But there was beauty to be found in the mundanity of it.

If you couldn't find it or didn't see it, that doesn't make you have bad taste, but you definitely missed a great hour of film in your dismissal.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up