Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2018  (Read 16607 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2018
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 07:42:16 AM »

1. Darkest Hour - 8
2. Downsizing - 5
3. I Called Him Morgan - 8
4. The Big Sick - 8
5. Icarus - 8

6. It Comes at Night - 7

From the writer/director of KRISHA comes a tense, apocalyptic thriller.  This is like a good episode of The Walking Dead, only without zombies.  Plus, Joel Edgerton is good in everything.

7. The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) - 8

Noah Baumbach's latest, I found the acting to be all top-notch, especially Adam Sandler and Ben Stiller.  Their couple of scenes together are enough to hold this whole thing together.  Stiller plays a great sort of "oblivious" asshole who actually wants to try to do better instead of just continuing down his selfish path.

8. Creep 2 - 7

Sequel to a film starring Mark Duplass as a completely nutso but earthy serial killer.  This one is less scary but more interesting.

9. 1922 - 8

Stephen King adaptation that might be one of the best "King" films done.  Set in the obvious time period in Nebraska, where a man and his wife can't agree on how to use the wife's newly inherited 100 acre plot.  The man has some very definite ideas, and the wife is kind of a witch, but not over-the-top.  Comes with some of that patented extraordinarily awkward Stephen King sex talk where no one has literally said some of the phrases in this story while talking about teenage sex.

10. The Post - 9

I know no one has heard this before, but Meryl Streep is REALLY GOOD in this.  Playing a woman in a man's world who isn't quite sure she belongs, but in the end finds a voice enough to take a stand.  The other reason to see this is to see Odenkirk and Cross playing newspapermen in the same scenes.  I guess I'm a sucker for a good Spielberg drama, because I didn't find the deficiencies that others saw in this.  Or if I did, Streep papered over them.

11. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 8

Outside of the painfully obvious North/South conflict character name "Jason Dixon", this is actually a well-written, well-acted dramedy that summons a wide range of emotions in its running time.  Everybody avoids playing the obvious character notes, and the movie is 2x better for it.  Rockwell is his typically awesome self.  The ending is maybe a little off, but that's ok.  It's still worth it.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 07:55:03 AM »

1. Darkest Hour - 8
2. Downsizing - 5
3. I Called Him Morgan - 8
4. The Big Sick - 8
5. Icarus - 8
6. It Comes at Night - 7
7. The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) - 8
8. Creep 2 - 7
9. 1922 - 8
10. The Post - 9
11. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 8

12. Call Me By Your Name - 7

Armie Hammer is great in this.  The coming of age gay romance is awkward in its execution while clearly intense.  There was just something missing for me, the endless bike rides to and fro got to be a little much for me to bear.  I understand we are supposed to enjoy it like one would enjoy a lazy Italian summer, but it gets a little too aimless in parts.  Michael Stuhlbarg recalls a mid-period, serious Robin Williams character and delivers a hell of a monologue at the end of the film that is supposed to erase the morally questionable aspects of the college professor and teenager romance, but viewing it through the lens of 2018... it's just too hard for me to shake the creepy vibe given off by the age difference.

And I guess that was part of the point of it, as it shows the main character break down emotionally more than once while struggling through his feelings.  It was good but not great.

13. I, Tonya - 7

Margot Robbie and Allison Janney are unquestionably amazing in this... it just seems like it shies away from going full out in any one direction.  It has to play fast and loose with the details, because there are so many different and conflicting stories from the parties involved.  That leaves a bit of an unsatisfactory whole, though I feel like the movie does its best to underscore both how ridiculous the whole story is, and how Tonya becomes her own worst enemy.  It really felt like the worst of Tonya's personality is let off the hook a little bit by the film in trying to portray her as a bit of a sympathetic victim along with Kerrigan.

In seeing current day interviews with Harding, it is pretty clear that she has little patience left for going back to the well and trying to figure out what exactly happened.  In her world, she is owed as much by the public as anyone because she was abused and beaten not only by her mom and husband, but by the public after "the incident" happened.  That is specious reasoning at best.  And while the movie gets around it by showing that it is from Tonya's point of view, it still does a bit of a disservice to the real life story overall by glossing over the fact that Harding likely actually wanted Kerrigan murdered than settled on simply hobbled.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 08:44:15 AM »

1. LANDLINE - 01/01/18 - Amazon - Jenny Slate, Edie Falco, and John Turturro. What's not to love? Really impressed with the unknown for me in the cast, Abby Quinn. The 90s clothing and music were also perfection. I've been singing Crystal Waters for two days in a row as a result. La-da-di, la-doo-dow. https://youtu.be/_KztNIg4cvE
2. I, TONYA - 01/06/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - I thought it was just OK. I liked Margot as the older Tonya. But, trying to pass her off as fifteen around actual 15 year olds was ridiculous. Also, the CGI took me out of the skating parts. It was not good. But, Allison Janey was incredible and I really liked what the movie had to say about the way Tonya was treated by the media (and the country).
3. QUEEN OF KATWE - 01/17/18 - dvd from library - I'm the #1 Spice!
4. THE MARTIAN - 01/17/18 - FX - repeat viewing - Still a fun and thrilling movie experience.
5. COMING TO AMERICA - 01/19/18 - STARZ - repeat viewing - The looks on the royal family's faces when Patrice tells them that Semmi is the prince is so good.
6. CALL ME BY YOUR NAME - 01/20/18 - Regal Kennesaw - I've been floating around in this world since seeing this movie on Saturday. The longing. The tension. The messiness of all of it. GAH. Also, I'll never be able to get "Love My Way" out of my head.
7. COLUMBUS - 01/20/18 - Amazon VOD (for only $0.99!) - I've been through Columbus on my way to Nashville and always wanted to stop and see what was up with that town that just pops up (seemingly) out of nowhere with that incredible bridge. It was fun to meander through the town in the film, along with John Cho and Haley Lu Richardson. Parker Posey was maybe the least "Parker Posey-ish" that I've seen her.
8. BURKE & HARE - 01/21/18 - some cable channel - We stumbled onto this movie - "WHAT IS THIS MOVIE WITH SIMON PEGG AND ANDY SERKIS?!?!!?" - and couldn't turn it off even though it was absolutely dreadful. I had no idea that this movie existed. I can't believe it was made and released. I can't believe we watched it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 02:23:53 PM by c-lando »
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 02:05:15 PM »

Movies seen in 2018 (new movies in bold):
1. The Golden Compass
2. The Dark Tower
3. Star Trek Into Darkness
4. Hidden Figures
5. The Post
6. The Newspaperman: The Life and Times of Ben Bradlee

Star Trek - eh. Good enough. I enjoy the actors and the characters and such, but eh.

Hidden Figures - upon second viewing, seems imminently rewatchable. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Post - REALLY liked this. Thought about it a lot. Very good.
In fact, liked it so much that we then watched....

The Newspaperman: a documentary about the life of Ben Bradlee, the longtime head of the Washington Post. It started a little slow, but picked up a bit.

So, we got our journalism saves the world fix. My wife is big on that story and she's got me hooked, too. Will probably watch most movies of this ilk for the rest of my life.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 04:26:14 PM »

Slow start to the new year... But here we go for the first 3 weeks:

1. Molly's Game (Cinemark Oakley)
2. The Commuter (Cinemark Oakley)
3. Insidious: The Last Key (Regal Belltower, Ft. Myers, FL)
4. Sicario (DVD)
5. I, Tonya (Regal Belltower (Regal Belltower, Ft. Myers, FL)
6. Phantom Thread (Regal Belltower, Ft. Myers, FL)
7. Call Me By Your Name (Cinemark Oakley)

The Oscar-bait movies (listed in items 1, 5, 6 and 7) are all very much worth seeking out. I enjoyed them all, even though they are all very different movies and movie experiences.

Call Me By Your Name (about gay love in the early 80s) is particularly interesting, in the sense that I'll admit I get a bit uncomfortable seeing 2 guys getting it on. But thankfully the movie is about so much more, and the fact that it's set in the early 80s in northern Italy reminded me about the endless summers of my youth growing up in Belgium (with plenty of summer vacations in the south of France).

Phantom Thread, the latest Paul Thomas Anderson oeuvre (don't just call it a movie!), moves at glacial speed, and I mean that as a compliment. Newcomer Vicky Krieps (previously unknown actress from Luxembourg) is nothing short of sensational. A new career in Hollywood has just launched I'm sure.

You may have noticed I still haven't seen The Post. Something is keeping me back, and I'm not sure why, other than I'm afraid of being disappointed. The movie seems so... straight-forward.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:47:59 PM by euro60 »
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 04:33:19 PM »

The Newspaperman: a documentary about the life of Ben Bradlee, the longtime head of the Washington Post. It started a little slow, but picked up a bit.

The Newspaperman's release was timed to ride the coattails of The Post. I thought it was pretty weak, given the inherently interesting character that Bradlee is, and I wouldn't recommend it.

If you liked The Newspaperman, I'd readily recommend Agnelli, the recently new HBO documentary about the life of Gianni Agnelli, the influential (both economically and politically) CEO of Fiat in the 70s-80s-90s. Great documentary.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 04:46:17 PM »

7. COLUMBUS - 01/20/18 - Amazon VOD (for only $0.99!) - I've been through Columbus on my way to Nashville and always wanted to stop and see what was up with that town that just pops up (seemingly) out of nowhere with that incredible bridge. It was fun to meander through the town in the film, along with John Cho and Haley Lu Richardson. Parker Posey was maybe the least "Parker Posey-ish" that I've seen her.
That was one of the most underrated movies of 2017. I had it at number 21 on my "best movies of the year" list.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls021559639/

I didn't even realize it was Parker Posey until the credits rolled...

Chris

• Citizen
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 07:25:13 PM »

6. It Comes at Night - 7

From the writer/director of KRISHA comes a tense, apocalyptic thriller.  This is like a good episode of The Walking Dead, only without zombies.  Plus, Joel Edgerton is good in everything.

Someone hasn't watched Bright on Netflix yet.

Oh, and if you liked 1922, check out that Gerald's Game adaptation too.  Carla Gugino's pretty good in that... considering the movie is mainly her tied up to a bed for the majority of it. Not my favorite King book, but a pretty decent translation.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 07:32:33 PM by Chris »

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 04:13:39 PM »

You may have noticed I still haven't seen The Post. Something is keeping me back, and I'm not sure why, other than I'm afraid of being disappointed. The movie seems so... straight-forward.

It's extremely straight-forward, no doubt. Spielberg is an expert at story telling and it shows here, even if there's very little nuance. The actors are obviously great, and the (purposeful) parallels to today's society are worthwhile. If you need something deep or artsy, this isn't it. That being said, I very much enjoyed it. (Don't know what that says about me, though!)

The Newspaperman ... well, we didn't know anything about it but saw it on the list of movies as we were looking for something to watch. I learned a lot, that's for sure. I don't know if it was weak or great, but it was educational.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 05:31:17 PM »

It's extremely straight-forward, no doubt. Spielberg is an expert at story telling and it shows here, even if there's very little nuance. The actors are obviously great, and the (purposeful) parallels to today's society are worthwhile. If you need something deep or artsy, this isn't it. That being said, I very much enjoyed it. (Don't know what that says about me, though!)

I just read a review in CityBeat (our local alternative weekly), and the reviewer expressed the exact same sentiment, comparing The Post negatively to other truly outstanding journalism movies like Spotlight (a few years ago) and of course All the President's Men, the gold standard of journalism movies. I loved Spotlight and ATPM. While praising the efforts of Streep and Hanks, he concludes by saying "The Post feels like old news".

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2018, 12:46:58 PM »

1. LANDLINE - 01/01/18 - Amazon - Jenny Slate, Edie Falco, and John Turturro. What's not to love? Really impressed with the unknown for me in the cast, Abby Quinn. The 90s clothing and music were also perfection. I've been singing Crystal Waters for two days in a row as a result. La-da-di, la-doo-dow. https://youtu.be/_KztNIg4cvE
2. I, TONYA - 01/06/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - I thought it was just OK. I liked Margot as the older Tonya. But, trying to pass her off as fifteen around actual 15 year olds was ridiculous. Also, the CGI took me out of the skating parts. It was not good. But, Allison Janey was incredible and I really liked what the movie had to say about the way Tonya was treated by the media (and the country).
3. QUEEN OF KATWE - 01/17/18 - dvd from library - I'm the #1 Spice!
4. THE MARTIAN - 01/17/18 - FX - repeat viewing - Still a fun and thrilling movie experience.
5. COMING TO AMERICA - 01/19/18 - STARZ - repeat viewing - The looks on the royal family's faces when Patrice tells them that Semmi is the prince is so good.
6. CALL ME BY YOUR NAME - 01/20/18 - Regal Kennesaw - I've been floating around in this world since seeing this movie on Saturday. The longing. The tension. The messiness of all of it. GAH. Also, I'll never be able to get "Love My Way" out of my head.
8. BURKE & HARE - 01/21/18 - some cable channel - We stumbled onto this movie - "WHAT IS THIS MOVIE WITH SIMON PEGG AND ANDY SERKIS?!?!!?" - and couldn't turn it off even though it was absolutely dreadful. I had no idea that this movie existed. I can't believe it was made and released. I can't believe we watched it.
9. THE POST - 01/23/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - I thought this would be a snoozer but it definitely held my interest. Waste of Sarah Paulson amongst a cast that was just an embarrassment of riches for Spielberg (Odenkirk was dynamite!). Cheers from the audience when Kay really has her moment in the final act.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2018, 01:52:25 PM »

Yeah, I liked The Post more than I thought I would.

It's a little strange that they focus on the Pentagon Papers where IMO they didn't have as much of a role, instead of Watergate which is their crowning achievement.  But then, the Watergate story has been told a bunch of times already and the film was arguably more about Graham and Bradlee than it was about the Washington Post and the Pentagon Papers.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2018, 12:32:37 PM »

Movies watched for the first time in bold

1 ● Now More Than Ever: The History of Chicago
I reached day 23 before watching my first movie of the year. I blame three weeks celebrating a 'small' birthday with friends in England. My choice was a bad one; this documentary about 60/70/80's classic rock band Chicago could neither be scored as a 25 or a 624 (See what I did there?). It felt more like an attack on Peter Cetera* - who did not participate - than a genuine look back at this troubled band's history. Then, in the final act they undermined the whole thing when one of the band members said something along the lines of "we are the only band ever to have endured for over 40 years, ever, ever, ever". To which I shouted "The Rolling Fucking Stones you ignorant fucking twat"
(*admittedly a self-centered talent-free destructive cnut)
Opulence. I has it.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2018, 03:20:55 PM »

Movies watched for the first time in bold

1 ● Now More Than Ever: The History of Chicago
I reached day 23 before watching my first movie of the year. I blame three weeks celebrating a 'small' birthday with friends in England. My choice was a bad one; this documentary about 60/70/80's classic rock band Chicago could neither be scored as a 25 or a 624 (See what I did there?). It felt more like an attack on Peter Cetera* - who did not participate - than a genuine look back at this troubled band's history. Then, in the final act they undermined the whole thing when one of the band members said something along the lines of "we are the only band ever to have endured for over 40 years, ever, ever, ever". To which I shouted "The Rolling Fucking Stones you ignorant fucking twat"
(*admittedly a self-centered talent-free destructive cnut)

He's on the board!

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2018, 07:14:35 PM »

Let's see if I can manage this in 2018!

1. Darkest Hour - Great performance by Gary Oldham. Really wish I hadn't missed Dunkirk last year.
2. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - but filmed in western North Carolina. Great performance by France McDormand, but my least favorite Martin McDonagh film
3. Paddington 2 - the rare, enjoyable, entertaining, family friendly film. So many notable British actors make appearances, as well.
4. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - fun popcorn movie
also known as rcc94
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24   Go Up