Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2018  (Read 18060 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2018
« Reply #345 on: January 02, 2019, 01:03:01 PM »

95. Point Break[/i]

Wrapped up the year by watching Point Break instead of ludicrous NYE television programming. I have no regrets!

Punk. Quarterback Punk.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #346 on: January 02, 2019, 01:22:07 PM »

95. Point Break[/i]

Wrapped up the year by watching Point Break instead of ludicrous NYE television programming. I have no regrets!

Punk. Quarterback Punk.

I'm amused that Johnny Utah had never seen the ocean before moving to LA, yet he'd famously played in the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. I mean, technically it's possible that the team didn't visit the ocean on this trip but I would suggest it's highly unlikely.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #347 on: January 02, 2019, 01:57:22 PM »

95. Point Break[/i]

Punk. Quarterback Punk.

I'm amused that Johnny Utah had never seen the ocean before moving to LA, yet he'd famously played in the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. I mean, technically it's possible that the team didn't visit the ocean on this trip but I would suggest it's highly unlikely.
  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
We need to start a thread for random movie insights. Butter had some fun ones for GREMLINS.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #348 on: January 02, 2019, 09:39:23 PM »

I totally believe that could have happened, because Johnny Utah is the laziest, most incompetent, and undisciplined person alive.

Let’s just ignore the fact that sending a Rose Bowl QB undercover in pac10 territory is preposterous to begin with.  His job is somehow go in undercover and ingratiate himself into this gang.  Instead, he spends maybe 5% of his time on that and 95% of the time trying to get into Lori Petty’s pants.

He’s so shitty at his assignment that they bust the wrong group, which should instantly destroy the operation but on top of that his own cover is blown. 

Him being a stud All American QB should make it a piece of cake to get into Petty’s pants and impossibly difficult for him to ever infiltrate a criminal gang with a rebel streak that relies on being incognito.  Instead somehow the opposite occurs.  He spends a lot of effort trying to bed Petty by pretending to be a nobody, and the gang is suspicious of him until his cover is blown and they realize who he is.

How much taxpayer money could have been saved if they had just sent him out there in pads and his old uni and   his dick hanging out?  It’s just like “Hey, I’m Johnny Utah.  You— come here and suck this.  And you all... let’s rob banks.”  “Sounds great!” “You’re all busted!”  “ Dammit!”

So yeah, I can totally believe that instead of doing what normal called football players do and studying up on the playbook by day and partying it up on the beach at night with a dozen groupies, that Reeves instead ate a sandwich on a park bench all melancholy and tried to get a homeless go to like him “for being him.”

The suspension of belief is not that Reeves does that dumb shit stuff , but that it would actually work.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #349 on: January 03, 2019, 09:25:50 AM »

I totally believe that could have happened, because Johnny Utah is the laziest, most incompetent, and undisciplined person alive.

Let’s just ignore the fact that sending a Rose Bowl QB undercover in pac10 territory is preposterous to begin with.  His job is somehow go in undercover and ingratiate himself into this gang.  Instead, he spends maybe 5% of his time on that and 95% of the time trying to get into Lori Petty’s pants.

He’s so shitty at his assignment that they bust the wrong group, which should instantly destroy the operation but on top of that his own cover is blown. 

Him being a stud All American QB should make it a piece of cake to get into Petty’s pants and impossibly difficult for him to ever infiltrate a criminal gang with a rebel streak that relies on being incognito.  Instead somehow the opposite occurs.  He spends a lot of effort trying to bed Petty by pretending to be a nobody, and the gang is suspicious of him until his cover is blown and they realize who he is.

How much taxpayer money could have been saved if they had just sent him out there in pads and his old uni and   his dick hanging out?  It’s just like “Hey, I’m Johnny Utah.  You— come here and suck this.  And you all... let’s rob banks.”  “Sounds great!” “You’re all busted!”  “ Dammit!”

So yeah, I can totally believe that instead of doing what normal called football players do and studying up on the playbook by day and partying it up on the beach at night with a dozen groupies, that Reeves instead ate a sandwich on a park bench all melancholy and tried to get a homeless go to like him “for being him.”

The suspension of belief is not that Reeves does that dumb shit stuff , but that it would actually work.

But he's so pretty.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #350 on: January 03, 2019, 10:47:29 AM »

Hahaha.

But the actual response is, "Saying to Tyler that he'd never seen the ocean was just part of his cover story full of lies to make Tyler like him more." But then my response is still the same: Johnny Utah's anonymous cover is blown when he decides to play football on the beach, but he continues with the undercover assignment nonetheless. So ... huh? He's never seen the ocean? I mean...mayyyybe the team plane flew to Burbank instead of LAX, and then went straight to Pasadena (FYI - Pasadena is an hour from the ocean, so it's not exactly right there). But I assume they flew to LAX and then probably stayed at an awesome waterfront hotel. (Side point - if Point Break came out in 1991, Utah had already gone to 3 years of law school, so this means that he played in the 1988 Rose Bowl? Maybe he redshirted and so played football while at OSU Law School so it was the 1989 Rose Bowl.) I know, college football wasn't as crazy extravagant in the late 80s as it is now, so maybe the teams didn't do fancy schmany things but it's still hard to believe he'd never seen the ocean, even as a dumb undercover surfer who was a former D1 football factory quarterback.

Another question: why do all of Utah's coworkers hate recent hires? There's so much vitriol!

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #351 on: January 03, 2019, 06:10:52 PM »

Movies watched for the first time in bold

1 ● Now More Than Ever: The History of Chicago
2 ● Hopscotch (BD)
3 ● Get Shorty (BD)

4 ● The Hitman's Bodyguard

5 ● The Journey
6 ● Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond
7 ● Water & Power: A California Heist
8 ● Blade Runner 2049
9 ● Girls Trip
10 ● Battle of the Sexes
11 ● Rules Don’t Apply
12 ● The Upsetter: The Life and Music of Lee Scratch Perry
13 ● A Futile & Stupid Gesture
14 ● Logan Lucky
15 ● Paris Can Wait
16 ● Darkest Hour
17 ● The Foreigner
18 ● Geostorm
19 ● Rough Night
20 ● Somer's Town
21 ● My Big Fat Greek Wedding
22 ● When Harry Met Sally (BD)
23 ● Taken (BD)
24 ● Small Faces: All or Nothing 1965-1968
25 ● The Big Lebowski (BD)
26 ● Life of Brian (BD)
27 ● Gregory's Girl (BD)
28 ● Dave Made a Maze
29 ● Star Wars: The Last Jedi
30 ● Funniest
31 ● Herman's Hermits: Listen People 1964-1969
32 ● Maudie
33 ● The Babysitters
34 ● Rear Window (BR)
35 ● The Time of their Lives
36 ● Paddington 2
37 ● The In-Laws
38 ● Wish You Were Here
39 ● Faces Places
40 ● Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
41 ● The Post
42 ● Coco
43 ● Wilson
44 ● Victoria & Abdul
45 ● Three Billboards Outside Ebbings, Missouri
46 ● Murder on the Orient Express (2017)
47 ● Downsizing
48 ● Dusty Springfield: Once Upon a Time 1964-1969
49 ● Six Shooter
50 ● Lady Bird
51 ● The Shape of Water
52 ● The Hollies: Look Through Any Window 1963-1975
53 ● The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected)
54 ● Ethel & Ernest
55 ● Dial M for Murder (BD)
56 ● Rope (BD)
57 ● The Clapper
58 ● The Strange Name Movie
59 ● Marnie (BD)
60 ● North by Northwest (BD)
61 ● The Circle
62 ● The Death of Stalin
63 ● Suburbicon
64 ● The Disaster Artist
65 ● Kicking Off
66 ● Yesterday's Hero
67 ● The Statue
68 ● Meatballs
69 ● 20th Century Women
70 ● What the Health
71 ● 6 Days
72 ● I Don't Feel at Home in this World Anymore
73 ● The Most Hated Woman in America
74 ● Lucky
75 ● Finding Your Feet
76 ● This Sporting Life
77 ● Molly's Game
78 ● All the Money in the World
79 ● Roman J. Israel Esq
80 ● LBJ
81 ● Mark Felt
82 ● Blue Hawaii
83 ● Alfie (1966)
84 ● Anon
85 ● Syncopation
86 ● Toast
87 ● Just Getting Started
88 ● Baywatch
89 ● The Bleeding Edge
90 ● Father of the Year
91 ● Like Father
92 ● The Mummy (2017)
93 ● American Folk
94 ● Denial
95 ● The Commuter
96 ● I, Daniel Blake
97 ● The Mountain Between Us
98 ● The Leisure Seeker
99 ● The Incredibles
100 ● I, Tonya
101 ● Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool
102 ● Isle of Dogs
103 ● Please Stand By
104 ● Detroit
105 ● Tully
106 ● Early Man
107 ● Crown Heights
108 ● Book Club
109 ● Blockers
110 ● The Big Sick
111 ● The Time Machine (2002)

112 ● Spy (BD)

113 ● Girlfriend's Day
114 ● The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society
115 ● Tell No One
116 ● Kedi: The Cats of an Ancient City
117 ● Red Sparrow
118 ● How to Talk to Girls at Parties
119 ● Spice World
120 ● Paint Your Wagon
121 ● The Phantom Thread
122 ● Noises Off
123 ● The Only Living Boy in New York
124 ● Sneakers
125 ● Gotti
126 ● Freak Show
127 ● Monty Python; Before the Flying Circus
128 ● Two Night Stand
129 ● Solo: A Star Wars Story
130 ● The Meaning of Python
131 ● Deadpool 2
132 ● Hair

133 ● High Spirits

134 ● Fiddler on the Roof

135 ● Minority Report (BD)

136 ● Hangman

137 ● Wonder

138 ● Professor Marston and the Wonder Women

139 ● Spinning Man

140 ● Ready Player One
141 ● Monty Python: The Meaning of Live
142 ● London Town
143 ● 28 Hotel Rooms
144 ● Oceans Eight
145 ● Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
146 ● I'm So Pretty
147 ● Game Night
148 ● Eric Idle’s What About Dick?
149 ● Blitz
150 ● Raise the Titanic
151 ● Ronnie Coleman: The King
152 ● The House
153 ● Overboard (2018)
154 ● Goodbye Christoper Robin
155 ● This Beautiful Fantastic
156 ● How to be a Latin Lover
157 ● Kodachrome
158 ● Marilyn Hotchkiss’ Ballroom Dancing & Charm School
159 ● Puzzle
160 ● Juliet, Naked
161 ● Rebel in the Rye
162 ● Skyscraper
163 ● Little Pink House
164 ● Tag
165 ● Atomic Blonde
166 ● The Sunshine Boys
167 ● Never Say Never Again
168 ● Mission: Impossible - Fallout
169 ● The Game
170 ● Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again
171 ● I Think We’re Alone Now
172 ● Free Fire
173 ● Christine
adding

174 ● Bohemian Rhapsody
Poor bastard sat next to me in the cinema (this was my only movie outside the home in 2018) must have got quietly sick of the wanker sat next to _him_ going "for fuck sake" out loud at several points during this turgid representation of Freddie's life. Cliché after cliché after cliché. Mike Myers being fucktastically awful as some 'northern-accented EMI executive' (who I actually met back in the day). The Aids crisis reduced to Mercury muttering "I have it". His sexuality reduced to random looks and glances. Spinning cities' names on the screen as Queen toured the US and the world. No mention of the furor the band caused in playing "Sun City"."Fat Bottomed Girls" played during the US montage, despite it not even being recorded for another 4 years. "We will Rock You" out of sequence. Just shoddy shit from beginning to end. The only saving grace was Malik's depiction of Freddie (on point) and the dude who played Brian May.
175 ● Soylent Green
Loved this when I first saw it back in the day. Loved it the many times I watched it on VHS when I worked in video. Years after the event, it's a bit "meh" maybe let down by the script's reveal becoming a regular meme and Charlton Heston who has become a cunt in the interim
176 ● Annihilation
All the reviews suggested this movie would make me think. It did. It made me think why the fuck I watched this movie.
177 ● BlacKkKlansman
Thought this was great. Yes the agenda was shoved down your eyeballs, but there was nothing wrong that at all.
178 ● Crazy Rich Asians
Fun fun fun fun fun FUN! Unbridled colourful entertainment.
179 ● The Humanity Bureau
Nicholas Cage. 'Nuff said.
180 ● Hotel Artemis
In the post-apocalyptic future Jodie Foster is an unattractive doctor.
181 ● Eighth Grade
SUPERB! Not my 'demographic' obviously but what an insight into the bullshit kids of today have to cope with given the power of social media etc etc.
182 ● The Children Act
Emma Thompson plays a wearied barrister giving verdicts on hospital cases involving, you've guess it, children. She does it very diligently despite her marriage falling apart in the meantime.
183 ● THX1138
Digitally remastered so I thought I'd give it another go. Shouldn't have.
184 ● The Spy Who Dumped Me
Expected the fun and frivolity of "Spy" with the added bon(er)us of Mila Kunis. Instead, I got a haphazard, bitty unfunny pile of 'nothing'.
185 ● Ethel & Ernest
Second outing for this 2016 animated piece of wonderment, so that MK could enjoy it too. Probably the best movie I saw in 2018.
186 ● Party Party
Mandatory New Years Eve viewing. Still makes me laugh like a drain.... every.single.time

And that's it. 3 movies less than 2017. 79 less than 2016. Resolution to endure less shit in 2019. #famouslastwords
Opulence. I has it.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #352 on: January 03, 2019, 09:10:16 PM »

Since I didn't keep with this, using my viewing history to report

From Netflix:
When We First Met
The Kissing Booth