Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2018  (Read 11103 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
50 Movies in 2018
« on: January 02, 2018, 08:37:58 AM »

1. LANDLINE - 01/01/18 - Amazon - Jenny Slate, Edie Falco, and John Turturro. What's not to love? Really impressed with the unknown for me in the cast, Abby Quinn. The 90s clothing and music were also perfection. I've been singing Crystal Waters for two days in a row as a result. La-da-di, la-doo-dow. https://youtu.be/_KztNIg4cvE
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
Re: 50 Movies in 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 02:27:19 PM »

Turturro was great- they all were. It was lovely to have such a strong cast with an interesting story. Quinn really held her own in the whole piece, too.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 02:43:35 PM »

This is my 11th year tracking movies! Yikes! (Nevertheless, here I go)

1. Christmas in Connecticut from 1945, a magazine writer has created the proto-Martha Stewart life, and a wounded soldier just wants a perfect Christmas in Connecticut with her and her (imaginary) family. Wacky hijinks ensue. The leads were all in their late 30s/early 40s, which made this really interesting to me!
2. What If- Dan Radcliffe, Zoe Kazan, Adam Driver. It's your basic rom-com, but nice enough to watch while cruising the internet.
3. I, Tonya Robbie and Stan are a bit too old to be playing 20-23 year olds, but their performances are excellent, and Allison Janney stole every scene she was in. Social commentary= excellent, skating= well, that could have been handled better.
4. Star Trek Beyond- second time around. I really like how Simon Pegg's character calls Jayda (Sophia Boutella) "lassie" all the time. I really liked how that relationship was created to be father/child rather than love interest.
5. Landline Really, really good cast. Tightly plotted movie, and they felt like actual people who make both good and bad decisions.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 03:06:51 PM »

1. LANDLINE - 01/01/18 - Amazon - Jenny Slate, Edie Falco, and John Turturro. What's not to love? Really impressed with the unknown for me in the cast, Abby Quinn. The 90s clothing and music were also perfection. I've been singing Crystal Waters for two days in a row as a result. La-da-di, la-doo-dow. https://youtu.be/_KztNIg4cvE

is this based on a book?
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 08:18:01 PM »

is this based on a book?
No, this film is written and directed by Gillian Robespierre (who earlier gave us the equally excellent The Obvious Child).
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 07:39:15 AM »

1. Darkest Hour - 8

Definitely captured the desperation that England and specifically Churchill must've felt at the time... including the pressure to cave to Hitler and join "peace" talks which really just would've left them vulnerable.  Oldman was very good even if he doesn't particularly look or sound like Churchill.

2. Downsizing - 5

Seems like they had a good concept but didn't know what to do with it.  There are some great sight gags that almost slip under the radar.  Probably 4 really solid ones that elicited a laugh.  Otherwise, it's kind of an awkward love story, an environmental plea, and an interesting thought experiment all rolled into one, without any plotline being overly interesting.  I wasn't far from falling asleep just past the midpoint.  Christoph Waltz and Udo Kier are the best in it, but aren't in it nearly enough to save anything.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 08:40:24 AM »

is this based on a book?
I know what book you're thinking of and I thought the movie would be based on that book, too, when I first heard about it. Especially when I heard that it was set in the early 90s. But, NO. It's not THAT Rainbow Rowell book. Sadly.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 09:34:08 AM »

2. I, TONYA - 01/06/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - I thought it was just OK. I liked Margot as the older Tonya. But, trying to pass her off as fifteen around actual 15 year olds was ridiculous. Also, the CGI took me out of the skating parts. It was not good. But, Allison Janey was incredible and I really liked what the movie had to say about the way Tonya was treated by the media (and the country).

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 06:47:52 AM »

1. Darkest Hour - 8
2. Downsizing - 5

3. I Called Him Morgan - 8

Film that has no right to be as good as it is.  Story of a jazz musician who is murdered in the early 70s.  Composed almost entirely of stock footage and photos of those involved, the music of the victim, and one audio interview with the perpetrator.  Along with copious interviews with his former bandmates.  Really good.

4. The Big Sick - 8

Other than the seemingly tacked on ending, this was great. Especially Holly Hunter and Ray Romano as the parents.

5. Icarus - 8

Great and lucky story about a guy who starts out trying to figure out how to game a drug test for a bike race a la Lance Armstrong,  and ends up near the center of the biggest drug story in sports history that ended up with the entire Russian track team suspended from the Rio Olympics, and the entire Russian delegation suspended from the upcoming Winter Olympics.

Jaw dropping and terrific. Well made also.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 09:54:27 AM »

Movies seen in 2018 (new movies in bold):
1. The Golden Compass
2. The Dark Tower

Golden Compass: Rewatch before book club about The Book of Dust. The girl who plays Lyra is still just absolutely adorable. I googled her to see how she's grown up, though, and it turns out she's now 50% breasts.

The Dark Tower was fine for me. I didn't read the books so I don't know what any of the issues would be. I really liked Idris Elba, and I enjoyed the different worlds, the random characters, the hidden-talent element of the main character, the small fish-out-of-water section, etc. The ending was a bit sudden: like they needed a longer and more appropriate ending, or to drag it out some. Or something like that. I guess if there were some knocks it would be that the villain was pretty simple and one dimensional. I liked Matthew McConneghy in the role, and the things he did, but there wasn't much nuance or depth to him. Straight forward good-vs-evil isn't as interesting as it used to be for me.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 11:10:58 AM »

I googled her to see how she's grown up, though, and it turns out she's now 50% breasts.
I don't know why but this comment was wholly unexpected from you. So, I had to go look her up.
Holy Smokes. You weren't kidding.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 05:08:10 PM »

She's built like a brick shithole.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 09:29:25 AM »

The Dark Tower was fine for me. I didn't read the books so I don't know what any of the issues would be.

The main issue was that it sucked.

Alright, I'm editing because this was an overly shitty response.  It sucked as a movie because they took a seven book (and we're talking big, dense books here) epic and reduced it to a two/three hour movie that was flat as hell and not at all faithful to the source material.  Source material that is practically worshipped by it's fans.  The things they had to do to the source to shoe horn it into a single movie pretty much destroy everything that is great about the books.  Fact is, we wouldn't be talking about it at all if it hadn't been based on the books, it would have been ignored because it's just disjointed and not all that great on it's own.  The fact that it tramples on it's beloved source material makes it all the worse.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:37:39 AM by Kwyjibo »
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 09:52:32 AM »

2. I, TONYA - 01/06/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - I thought it was just OK. I liked Margot as the older Tonya. But, trying to pass her off as fifteen around actual 15 year olds was ridiculous. Also, the CGI took me out of the skating parts. It was not good. But, Allison Janey was incredible and I really liked what the movie had to say about the way Tonya was treated by the media (and the country).
3. QUEEN OF KATWE - 01/17/18 - dvd from library - I'm the #1 Spice!
4. THE MARTIAN - 01/17/18 - FX - repeat viewing - Still a fun and thrilling movie experience.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 01:15:39 PM »

The Dark Tower was fine for me. I didn't read the books so I don't know what any of the issues would be.

The main issue was that it sucked.

Alright, I'm editing because this was an overly shitty response.  It sucked as a movie because they took a seven book (and we're talking big, dense books here) epic and reduced it to a two/three hour movie that was flat as hell and not at all faithful to the source material.  Source material that is practically worshipped by it's fans.  The things they had to do to the source to shoe horn it into a single movie pretty much destroy everything that is great about the books.  Fact is, we wouldn't be talking about it at all if it hadn't been based on the books, it would have been ignored because it's just disjointed and not all that great on it's own.  The fact that it tramples on it's beloved source material makes it all the worse.

Hah! Fair enough. I thought it was fine. Not good, not bad. Just...another movie that felt like almost all of the other movies that we see today.

If the source material is beloved then yeah, I can see why everyone was upset.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21   Go Up