Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2018  (Read 7153 times)

Chris

• Citizen
Re: 50 Movies in 2018
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2018, 04:25:56 PM »

As an aside... If anyone was mulling over getting Moviepass, it's down to $8/month for a limited time with access to Fandor (yet another streaming service with a more limited library) in case you were on the fence. It doesn't say for how long the offer lasts, but you have to pay in advance for the year and there's a $20 fee of some sort to sign up. Just an FYI, and now back to your featured movie reviewing presentation.
Back from hiatus.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2018, 07:04:02 AM »

1. Darkest Hour - 8
2. Downsizing - 5
3. I Called Him Morgan - 8
4. The Big Sick - 8
5. Icarus - 8
6. It Comes at Night - 7
7. The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) - 8
8. Creep 2 - 7
9. 1922 - 8
10. The Post - 9
11. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 8
12. Call Me By Your Name - 7
13. I, Tonya - 7
14. The Shape of Water - 8
15. Phantom Thread - 9
16. Last Men in Aleppo - 7
17. Mudbound - 8
18. The Seventh Fire - 6
19. The Cloverfield Paradox - 6
20. Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story - 6

21. Paddington 2 - 8

Delightful and charming.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2018, 10:18:54 AM »

As an aside... If anyone was mulling over getting Moviepass, it's down to $8/month for a limited time with access to Fandor (yet another streaming service with a more limited library) in case you were on the fence. It doesn't say for how long the offer lasts, but you have to pay in advance for the year and there's a $20 fee of some sort to sign up. Just an FYI, and now back to your featured movie reviewing presentation.

THUMBS UP!
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2018, 11:13:33 PM »

I go to the theater a LOT. Can you please explain this to me further? Does this $8 pass allow you to see as many movies you wanna see in a particular theater in a month? If so, sign me up!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2018, 07:04:31 AM »

1. Darkest Hour - 8
2. Downsizing - 5
3. I Called Him Morgan - 8
4. The Big Sick - 8
5. Icarus - 8
6. It Comes at Night - 7
7. The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) - 8
8. Creep 2 - 7
9. 1922 - 8
10. The Post - 9
11. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 8
12. Call Me By Your Name - 7
13. I, Tonya - 7
14. The Shape of Water - 8
15. Phantom Thread - 9
16. Last Men in Aleppo - 7
17. Mudbound - 8
18. The Seventh Fire - 6
19. The Cloverfield Paradox - 6
20. Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story - 6
21. Paddington 2 - 8

22. A Futile and Stupid Gesture - 7

Story of Doug Kenney and a bit about the National Lampoon.  It attempts to be sort of a meta-commentary about these sorts of movies, and one of these sorts of movies (a biopic) all at once.  I know all of the actors in it, so I had problems figuring out who they were in the story, even after I was told who they were.  I had to remind myself when they were on-screen... that was probably more of a me problem than a movie problem.  But it was good.  Enjoyable.  A little sad.  Just like a guy who ends his life in his early 30's either accidentally or on purpose.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2018, 07:19:00 AM »

I go to the theater a LOT. Can you please explain this to me further? Does this $8 pass allow you to see as many movies you wanna see in a particular theater in a month? If so, sign me up!

You sign up on the moviepass website.  Then you wait for a debit card in the mail.  Once you get the debit card, you download the app to your smartphone.  On your smartphone, you sign into your account.  They charge you $10 immediately no matter how long it takes for you to get the card.  Your "subscription" doesn't start until you see your first movie, after which you get charged once a month on that date.  I got my card in about 5 business days.  My brother signed up and didn't get a card for 2 months.  Their customer service is nearly non-existent and generally hailed as terrible.  But if it works as it is supposed to, like it did for me, you won't need them.

You can only buy same day tickets, and you can only check into the movie when you are within "100 yards of the theater" according to your phone.  So somewhere near it works.  The first time you buy a ticket, you find your theater, select the showtime of what you are seeing.  After you select it in the app, it will ask for the last 4 digits of your debit card.  Once that's a match, it adds funds to your account in the amount to buy your ticket.  You buy your ticket either via kiosk or in person using the Moviepass debit card.  (I do it at the kiosk, as some theater people get grumpy about people using Moviepass, especially at AMC theaters)

You have to buy the ticket within 30 minutes of checking in.  But it can be for any showing that day.  You can buy one ticket per day.  You can only see regular 2D movies.  If you go to a theater that has XD or 3D, you won't even have the option of buying tickets to those showings.

If you go to a showing that might be sold out, check on a ticket buying website ahead of time... act like you are going to buy a ticket before you check into the movie on your app.  Because once you've checked in, you need to buy a ticket for something.  We did this with Jumanji, checked into that on a weekday afternoon showing during Christmas week, and as it turns out, it was sold out.  We then bought a ticket to Father Figures instead.  Moviepass has no way of knowing what actual movie you are seeing, so this works.  But Father Figures was terrible, so the joke was on me.

I've seen 15 movies in the theater for about $40 since I joined in November.  If you cancel, you can't rejoin for 9 months according to their new terms.  They also are widely considered as unsustainable from a business model perspective.  So, enjoy it while you can.

The way it works for me now is, pick a movie time, go to the theater, click the movie time on the app, buy the ticket with the card.  It really is that simple once you get it setup.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2018, 09:23:15 AM »

Something screams at me that this Moviepass thing is "too good to be true". Then again, what can I lose?

One more question: do all of the "big chains" participate in this? (AMC, Cinemark, etc.)
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2018, 10:40:19 AM »

Something screams at me that this Moviepass thing is "too good to be true". Then again, what can I lose?

One more question: do all of the "big chains" participate in this? (AMC, Cinemark, etc.)

Yes.  AMC was talking about refusing to take it, but the problem is it is a Mastercard Debit Card, so they couldn't figure out a way to block only the Moviepass Debit Cards without violating Mastercard's terms of service, so they are grudgingly onboard for the time being.

Last time I went to AMC, Andrea had no issues, my person wrote "MP" on my ticket in big black marker for some reason.  Seriously.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2018, 07:33:13 PM »

This is my 11th year tracking movies! Yikes! (Nevertheless, here I go)

1. Christmas in Connecticut from 1945, a magazine writer has created the proto-Martha Stewart life, and a wounded soldier just wants a perfect Christmas in Connecticut with her and her (imaginary) family. Wacky hijinks ensue. The leads were all in their late 30s/early 40s, which made this really interesting to me!
2. What If- Dan Radcliffe, Zoe Kazan, Adam Driver. It's your basic rom-com, but nice enough to watch while cruising the internet.
3. I, Tonya Robbie and Stan are a bit too old to be playing 20-23 year olds, but their performances are excellent, and Allison Janney stole every scene she was in. Social commentary= excellent, skating= well, that could have been handled better.
4. Star Trek Beyond- second time around. I really like how Simon Pegg's character calls Jayda (Sophia Boutella) "lassie" all the time. I really liked how that relationship was created to be father/child rather than love interest.
5. Landline Really, really good cast. Tightly plotted movie, and they felt like actual people who make both good and bad decisions.
6. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri It's been nominated for Best Score- I just remember thinking the movie was so quiet. Huh. McDormond was excellent, and Woody Harrelson was, too.
7. New In Town- Renee Z. and Harry Connick, Jr. She's a corporate shill, he's the union rep for a dairy factory in Minnesota. It could be better.
8. Zoolander 2 This would have been really funny about 10 years ago. Sadly, it's not 10 years ago.
9. Good Dick I watched because Jason Ritter was in it. Well, it was interesting- Ritter's character essentially stalks the female lead (neither receive names in the movie), and won't take no for an answer. This is really not cute, or sweet, no matter how puppy-dog charming Ritter is. It's time to revisit what is acceptable movie meet-cute behavior.
10. Boy Taika Waititi's directoral debut. Set in New Zealand in the 1980s, from the perspective of a 10 year old boy. Growing up and learning that his father isn't the hero he thinks he is. It also involves a fantasty/dream sequence in which Waititi is dressed as peak Michael Jackson.
11. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- (first viewing of the year!) Saw with my dad, who has seen none of the Marvel movies. He had many questions.
12. The Shape of Water Very del Toro, I would have liked it more if the people next to me hadn't been laughing through most of the movie. Absolutely beautiful, needed more of the creature.
13. Paddington 2: The Paddingtonian This was absolute sweetness, and delightful, and everyone in it should receive all the awards. Also, how do they do such good CGI? I buy that the bear is real.

(Side note: Does Sally Hawkins have something in her contract about having to swim in her movies? Because she was very water- adjacent in both of these!)

14. Wonder Woman- so glad I saw it on the big screen to begin with- the CGI gets funny on a tv.
15. Cars 3 I didn't see Cars 2, but it didn't seem to matter. I mostly had it on to occupy time. It was harmless.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2018, 11:23:40 PM »

Yes.  AMC was talking about refusing to take it, but the problem is it is a Mastercard Debit Card, so they couldn't figure out a way to block only the Moviepass Debit Cards without violating Mastercard's terms of service, so they are grudgingly onboard for the time being.

Last time I went to AMC, Andrea had no issues, my person wrote "MP" on my ticket in big black marker for some reason.  Seriously.

Cinemark Oakley was passing info out at Christmas time about this program, so they definitely participate.
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2018, 01:45:36 PM »

1. Molly's Game (Cinemark Oakley)
2. The Commuter (Cinemark Oakley)
3. Insidious: The Last Key (Regal Belltower, Ft. Myers, FL)
4. Sicario (DVD)
5. I, Tonya (Regal Belltower (Regal Belltower, Ft. Myers, FL)
6. Phantom Thread (Regal Belltower, Ft. Myers, FL)
7. Call Me By Your Name (Cinemark Oakley)

Here's an update on the last 3-4 weeks:

8. The Post (Cinemark Oakley)
9. Hostiles (Cinemark Oakley)
10. Dunkirk (AMC Newport on the Levee)
11. The Insult (Mariemont Theater)
12. Ben-Gurion, Epilogue (2018 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival at the Esquire)
13. The 90-Minute War (2018 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival at the Mariemont)
14. Scaffolding (2018 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival at the Kenwood)
15. Across the Waters (2018 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival at the Mayerson JCC)
16. And Then She Arrives (2018 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival at the Esquire)

This time of the year is, traditionally, the absolute WORST to catch a decent new film, as all theaters are continuing to play the Oscar baits, and hence no new "quality" films (unless Fifty Shades Freed is a "quality" release). I did jump at the opportunity to catch Dunkirk one more time on the big screen. Still as powerful as when I saw it twice last year in June. Should sweep the Oscars in my book

The Insult is a decent Lebanese picture that is nominated for Best Foreign Language Movie Oscar.

As always, there is the yearly Jewish & Israeli Film Festival in early February to give some respite. Alas, this year's overall quality was significantly lower than usual. I'd recommend only 1 of the 5 I saw: the Ben-Gurion documentary. It's primarily (but not only) a 1968 interview (when the man was 82) that sat undiscovered in a film library for decades. Absolutely fascinating stuff.

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2018, 06:57:00 PM »

1. Christmas in Connecticut from 1945, a magazine writer has created the proto-Martha Stewart life, and a wounded soldier just wants a perfect Christmas in Connecticut with her and her (imaginary) family. Wacky hijinks ensue. The leads were all in their late 30s/early 40s, which made this really interesting to me!
2. What If- Dan Radcliffe, Zoe Kazan, Adam Driver. It's your basic rom-com, but nice enough to watch while cruising the internet.
3. I, Tonya Robbie and Stan are a bit too old to be playing 20-23 year olds, but their performances are excellent, and Allison Janney stole every scene she was in. Social commentary= excellent, skating= well, that could have been handled better.
4. Star Trek Beyond- second time around. I really like how Simon Pegg's character calls Jayda (Sophia Boutella) "lassie" all the time. I really liked how that relationship was created to be father/child rather than love interest.
5. Landline Really, really good cast. Tightly plotted movie, and they felt like actual people who make both good and bad decisions.
6. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri It's been nominated for Best Score- I just remember thinking the movie was so quiet. Huh. McDormond was excellent, and Woody Harrelson was, too.
7. New In Town- Renee Z. and Harry Connick, Jr. She's a corporate shill, he's the union rep for a dairy factory in Minnesota. It could be better.
8. Zoolander 2 This would have been really funny about 10 years ago. Sadly, it's not 10 years ago.
9. Good Dick I watched because Jason Ritter was in it. Well, it was interesting- Ritter's character essentially stalks the female lead (neither receive names in the movie), and won't take no for an answer. This is really not cute, or sweet, no matter how puppy-dog charming Ritter is. It's time to revisit what is acceptable movie meet-cute behavior.
10. Boy Taika Waititi's directoral debut. Set in New Zealand in the 1980s, from the perspective of a 10 year old boy. Growing up and learning that his father isn't the hero he thinks he is. It also involves a fantasty/dream sequence in which Waititi is dressed as peak Michael Jackson.
11. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- (first viewing of the year!) Saw with my dad, who has seen none of the Marvel movies. He had many questions.
12. The Shape of Water Very del Toro, I would have liked it more if the people next to me hadn't been laughing through most of the movie. Absolutely beautiful, needed more of the creature.
13. Paddington 2: The Paddingtonian This was absolute sweetness, and delightful, and everyone in it should receive all the awards. Also, how do they do such good CGI? I buy that the bear is real.

(Side note: Does Sally Hawkins have something in her contract about having to swim in her movies? Because she was very water- adjacent in both of these!)
14. Wonder Woman- so glad I saw it on the big screen to begin with- the CGI gets funny on a tv.
15. Cars 3 I didn't see Cars 2, but it didn't seem to matter. I mostly had it on to occupy time. It was harmless.

16. The Decoy Bride- re-watch for something cute. Extra points for David Tennant.
17. Captain America: Civil War- Getting ready for Black Panther! Still #TeamBucky
18. Black Panther Afternoon matinee with Lando and Victor. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and was totally hyped when I walked out of the theater. The costuming and set design are phenomenal, and the cast is 100% perfect. It works very well, with a solid script and good plot. It is a good movie, not just a good comic book movie. (Also, I want to grow up to be Shuri, T'Challa's sister) If you go, stay through the credits- there are two in credit scenes.
19. BFG Big Friendly Giant- Spielberg directed version of the Roald Dahl book. I kept thinking how much my niece and nephew would love it. Charming.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 07:01:57 PM by va-vacious »

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2018, 01:24:51 PM »

Movies seen in 2018 (new movies in bold):
1. The Golden Compass
2. The Dark Tower
3. Star Trek Into Darkness
4. Hidden Figures
5. The Post
6. The Newspaperman: The Life and Times of Ben Bradlee
7. A Futile and Stupid Gesture

8. Die Hard
9. Fanboys
10. X-Men: Days of Future Past
11. Atomic Blonde
12. In The Loop

Atomic Blonde is still one of my favorite films of 2017, even if it's maybe slightly less amazing than I initially thought. Totally loved it on the 2nd time around, though, which is nice.

In The Loop is a 2009 BBC Films satire/comedy about how we started a war in the middle east. Pretty out there, pretty absurdist, and also pretty telling. And sad. The fictional story it portrays is likely close to the real thing, which should make everyone just want to vomit.

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2018, 08:02:48 PM »

16. The Decoy Bride- re-watch for something cute. Extra points for David Tennant.
17. Captain America: Civil War- Getting ready for Black Panther! Still #TeamBucky
18. Black Panther Afternoon matinee with Lando and Victor. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and was totally hyped when I walked out of the theater. The costuming and set design are phenomenal, and the cast is 100% perfect. It works very well, with a solid script and good plot. It is a good movie, not just a good comic book movie. (Also, I want to grow up to be Shuri, T'Challa's sister) If you go, stay through the credits- there are two in credit scenes.
19. BFG Big Friendly Giant- Spielberg directed version of the Roald Dahl book. I kept thinking how much my niece and nephew would love it. Charming.

20. Room Very good. I don't think I could be a parent and let my 5/6 year old act in a movie like this. I know movies are shot out of order, and things are cut in different ways, so Tremblay would have been kept from the adult content, I hope, but it seems like it could have long-term effects on a kid.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2018, 08:51:02 AM »

1. LANDLINE - 01/01/18 - Amazon - Jenny Slate, Edie Falco, and John Turturro. What's not to love? Really impressed with the unknown for me in the cast, Abby Quinn. The 90s clothing and music were also perfection. I've been singing Crystal Waters for two days in a row as a result. La-da-di, la-doo-dow. https://youtu.be/_KztNIg4cvE
2. I, TONYA - 01/06/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - I thought it was just OK. I liked Margot as the older Tonya. But, trying to pass her off as fifteen around actual 15 year olds was ridiculous. Also, the CGI took me out of the skating parts. It was not good. But, Allison Janey was incredible and I really liked what the movie had to say about the way Tonya was treated by the media (and the country).
3. QUEEN OF KATWE - 01/17/18 - dvd from library - I'm the #1 Spice!
4. THE MARTIAN - 01/17/18 - FX - repeat viewing - Still a fun and thrilling movie experience.
5. COMING TO AMERICA - 01/19/18 - STARZ - repeat viewing - The looks on the royal family's faces when Patrice tells them that Semmi is the prince is so good.
6. CALL ME BY YOUR NAME - 01/20/18 - Regal Kennesaw - I've been floating around in this world since seeing this movie on Saturday. The longing. The tension. The messiness of all of it. GAH. Also, I'll never be able to get "Love My Way" out of my head.
7. COLUMBUS - 01/20/18 - Amazon VOD (for only $0.99!) - I've been through Columbus on my way to Nashville and always wanted to stop and see what was up with that town that just pops up (seemingly) out of nowhere with that incredible bridge. It was fun to meander through the town in the film, along with John Cho and Haley Lu Richardson. Parker Posey was maybe the least "Parker Posey-ish" that I've seen her.
8. BURKE & HARE - 01/21/18 - some cable channel - We stumbled onto this movie - "WHAT IS THIS MOVIE WITH SIMON PEGG AND ANDY SERKIS?!?!!?" - and couldn't turn it off even though it was absolutely dreadful. I had no idea that this movie existed. I can't believe it was made and released. I can't believe we watched it.
9. THE POST - 01/23/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - I thought this would be a snoozer but it definitely held my interest. Waste of Sarah Paulson amongst a cast that was just an embarrassment of riches for Spielberg (Odenkirk was dynamite!). Cheers from the audience when Kay really has her moment in the final act.
10. PHANTOM THREAD - 01/27/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - I could watch those seamstresses walk up and down those stairs all day. But, this movie wasn't really for me.
11. THE SHAPE OF WATER - 01/28/18 - Studio Movie Grille - For a Guillermo Del Toro movie, I would have liked to have had a bit more creature in this feature. Sally Hawkins was breathtaking in this performance. So many scenes were absolutely beautiful.
12. THE MEYEROWITZ STORIES - 02/03/18 - Netflix - Heavy family stuff with all of the actors doing the heavy lifting.
13. (NUOVO) CINEMA PARADISO - 02/03/18 - Netflix - repeat viewing - Has any kid been cuter on screen that little Toto? COME ON. Marco Leonardi was soooooooooooooo foine. I checked his IMDB and nearly plotzed when I saw that he is in ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD. Now I have a reason to watch it. Watching this again was like hanging out with an old friend.
14. PADDINGTON 2 - 02/04/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - Please wrap me up in all of the wallpaper in this movie. So delicious. This was light and funny and gorgeous and highly entertaining. The perfect Sunday matinee.
15. BLACK PANTHER - 02/16/18 - Studio Movie Grill w/va_vacious and Victor - Great action, great cast, great look, and a story that made sense. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED the movie but very underwhelmed with the "grill" experience at the movies this time. When you get bad service at a restaurant, it ruins the meal. When you get bad service at one of these dine-in theatres, it ruins the meal AND the movie-goint experience. BOO.
16. CON AIR - 02/18/18 - repeat viewing - Good Lord. I forgot how stacked this cast was.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19   Go Up