Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2018  (Read 1953 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2018
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2018, 03:47:33 PM »

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. My favorite bit was when she's trying to remove the bullet from his arm.

Spoiler
My first thought was, "Wouldn't the bullet go through and through?" HAHAHAHAHAH
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2018, 03:48:53 PM »

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. My favorite bit was when she's trying to remove the bullet from his arm.

Let me know if you want to know what the early easter egg was in the film...

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2018, 09:43:32 PM »

Movies watched for the first time in bold

1 ● Now More Than Ever: The History of Chicago
2 ● Hopscotch (BD)
3 ● Get Shorty (BD)

4 ● The Hitman's Bodyguard
5 ● The Journey

adding

6 ● Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond
Weird weird weird documentary featuring behind the scenes footage of Jim Carrey starring as Andy Kaufman in “Man on the Moon”. Where Carrey continues to ‘be’ Kaufman off camera. Allegedly the footage has been suppressed since. Why it has materialised now I have no fucking idea.
7 ● Water & Power: A California Heist
Scary as shit documentary about who, corporately, controls the water in California so the rest of the country gets its over abundance of almonds, raisins and other foods. Whilst simultaneously several towns and villages have to buy bottles of water because they have little/no running water to drink because aquifers are being diverted.
8 ● Blade Runner 2049
The Blues Brothers 2 of Sci-Fi movies
9 ● Girls Trip
”Bridemaids”, a blessing and a curse
10 ● Battle of the Sexes
Based on the story of Bobby Riggs’ personal sporting vendetta against tennis great Billie Jean King
11 ● Rules Don’t Apply
Entertainment Don’t Apply. Warren Beatty’s vanity project about Howard Hughes just a little bit too vain
12 ● The Upsetter: The Life and Music of Lee Scratch Perry
Anyone with the mildest interest in reggae or dub should watch this. It goes off the rails after Scratch gets sober, but the early stuff is fantastic
13 ● A Futile & Stupid Gesture
National Lampoon docudrama’d. Meh.

14 ● Logan Lucky
Fun heist comedy. Daniel Craig is fantastic.
15 ● Paris Can Wait
It should have waited a bit longer. Trite romantic nonsense. Diane Lane is still as hot as hell though.
16 ● Darkest Hour
OK, not as great as a lot of people thought it was IMHO. Sid Vicious was unrecognisable as Churchill
17 ● The Foreigner
A satisfactory way to spend a cold afternoon. Not Jackie Chan’s best, but the guy IS getting on a bit now.
18 ● Geostorm
This HAS to be some kind of tribute to 70’s disaster movies like “Earthquake” or “Towering Inferno” surely? So bad, it’s good. More cheese than a million uncircumsized foreskins.
19 ● Rough Night
Rough 90 minutes
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2018, 10:53:42 PM »

8 ● Blade Runner 2049

Can you expand further? I thought this was a monumental movie, and given the incredible expectations for a sequel 35 years in the making, quite remarkable. Not to mention the soundtrack, which was out of this world (surpassing the original Vangelis one).
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2018, 07:30:03 AM »

1. Darkest Hour - 8
2. Downsizing - 5
3. I Called Him Morgan - 8
4. The Big Sick - 8
5. Icarus - 8
6. It Comes at Night - 7
7. The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) - 8
8. Creep 2 - 7
9. 1922 - 8
10. The Post - 9
11. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 8
12. Call Me By Your Name - 7
13. I, Tonya - 7
14. The Shape of Water - 8
15. Phantom Thread - 9
16. Last Men in Aleppo - 7
17. Mudbound - 8
18. The Seventh Fire - 6
19. The Cloverfield Paradox - 6
20. Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story - 6
21. Paddington 2 - 8
22. A Futile and Stupid Gesture - 7
23. Game Night - 7
24. Black Panther - 9
25. Radius - 7
26. The Stanford Prison Experiment - 6
27. The Lost City of Z - 8
28. Abacus: Small Enough to Jail - 7

29. Escape Fire: The Fight to Rescue American Healthcare - 7

2012 doc that c-fan had to watch for her nursing class.  I found it probably a little too broad in scope, and the title is unnecessarily symbolic... but it certainly does a good job digging deep on a couple of issues.  Since this was filmed largely in 2010, it foreshadows the opioid epidemic somewhat by following some military folks and their pain management program, which includes for some dozens of pills a day.  In other vignettes, it shows a doctor who leaves one practice for another because she is being forced to see more patients an hour than she'd like because that's how they get paid... only to find her being pressured to do the same at the new place because they are facing the same financial crisis.

Nothing really earth shattering here... our system sucks, but there is such operational inertia to overcome to change it (largely due to the high money interests involved) that I doubt we'll ever see true reform in our lifetime until there is a truly monumental crisis.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2018, 01:45:30 PM »

1. Molly's Game (Cinemark Oakley)
2. The Commuter (Cinemark Oakley)
3. Insidious: The Last Key (Regal Belltower, Ft. Myers, FL)
4. Sicario (DVD)
5. I, Tonya (Regal Belltower (Regal Belltower, Ft. Myers, FL)
6. Phantom Thread (Regal Belltower, Ft. Myers, FL)
7. Call Me By Your Name (Cinemark Oakley)
8. The Post (Cinemark Oakley)
9. Hostiles (Cinemark Oakley)
10. Dunkirk (AMC Newport on the Levee)
11. The Insult (Mariemont Theater)
12. Ben-Gurion, Epilogue (2018 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival at the Esquire)
13. The 90-Minute War (2018 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival at the Mariemont)
14. Scaffolding (2018 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival at the Kenwood)
15. Across the Waters (2018 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival at the Mayerson JCC)
16. And Then She Arrives (2018 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival at the Esquire)

Here's an update on the last 3-4 weeks:

17. Den of Thieves (AMC Merchant Crossing, Ft. Myers, FL)
18. Annihilation (AMC Merchant Crossing, Ft. Myers, FL)
19. Double Lover (Regal Gulf Coast Stadium 16, Ft. Myers, FL)
20. Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool (Mariemont Theater)
21. Red Sparrow (Cinemark Oakley)
22. In the Fade (Gateway Film Center, Columbus, OH)
23. Jane (Esquire Theater)
24. A Fantastic Woman (Esquire Theater)
25. Thoroughbreds (Esquire Theater)

A Fantastic Woman won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Movie last weekend. This is from the same Chilean director who brought us the equally fine Gloria a few years ago. Here he examines the consequences for a transgender woman when her (much older) partner dies unexpectedly and now must deal with her partner's family, the hospital and society at large. There are some scenes that made me quite uncomfortable, but in the end it's a wonderful, moving movie. Speaking of Gloria, I read that is being remade by Hollywood (starring Julianne Moore). Say it ain't so!

In the Fade is the horribly titled US release of the German movie Aus dem Nichts (literal translation: From Nothing). A Muslim Turkish-German husband and his 6 year old son are brutally murdered in a bomb attack. The surviving (German) wife seeks revenge. The ending was quite controversial, but overall I quite liked the movie. Diane Kruger as the grieving wife is outstanding. This movie won Best Foreign Language Film at the Golden Globes but somehow wasn't even nominated for an Oscar...  As an side, I caught this last weekend in Columbus (prior to seeing Leggy play) at a new (for me anyway) outfit called Gateway Film Center. Really like that place. It's in essence the Columbus version of the Esquire/Mariemont but in a brand new setting with luxury seating. I hadn't been in Columbus in several years, and the continuing changes on North High St. (near the college campus) are just amazing.

Double Lover is the latest from respected French director Francois Ozon (Patiche; In the House; Young & Beautiful). He misfires badly with Double Lover, a preposterous semi-erotic mystery-thriller that is just outright bad. By all means stay away from this one!

Jane is a delight documentary about wild chimp whisperer Jane Goodall, who made her name in the 1960s. New/lost/misplaced 1960s footage about her and her work was recently unearthed in the National Geographic archives, and makes for a very entertainign and educative nature documentary. Extra brownie points for the outstanding original score, courtesy of the legendary Philip Glass. By happenstance, I heard on NPR this morning that Jane is getting its TV debut (on the National Geographic Channel) TONIGHT! Be sure to check it out. 
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2018, 01:46:37 PM »

Movies seen in 2018 (new movies in bold):
1. The Golden Compass
2. The Dark Tower
3. Star Trek Into Darkness
4. Hidden Figures
5. The Post
6. The Newspaperman: The Life and Times of Ben Bradlee
7. A Futile and Stupid Gesture

8. Die Hard
9. Fanboys
10. X-Men: Days of Future Past
11. Atomic Blonde
12. In The Loop
13. The Last of the Mohicans

This was the "Directors Definitive Cut" that's on HBO right now. I wanted to see how it was different. There were one or two slightly altered moments, but it was pretty much the version that I know by heart from VHS in the 90s. The Clannad song was different - it was in a different language rather than in English, which was odd.

Nice to see it one high def, though!
Also, how come in the beginning three dudes wipe out the entirety of a Huron war party who are massacring the English, and now one is ever like, "holy shit! did you see that? Three dudes! That's it! That's all it took! Those dude are badass!" Instead, everyone was all "ho hum, it's just another day." 

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2018, 03:30:52 PM »

8 ● Blade Runner 2049

Can you expand further? I thought this was a monumental movie, and given the incredible expectations for a sequel 35 years in the making, quite remarkable. Not to mention the soundtrack, which was out of this world (surpassing the original Vangelis one).

Son of the Mask
Star Wars: Phantom Menace
Cannonball Run II
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Rocky V
Weekend at Bernies II
Opulence. I has it.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2018, 03:49:52 PM »

8 ● Blade Runner 2049

Son of the Mask
Star Wars: Phantom Menace
Cannonball Run II
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Rocky V
Weekend at Bernies II

Hey.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2018, 11:24:50 PM »

This is my 11th year tracking movies! Yikes! (Nevertheless, here I go)

1. Christmas in Connecticut from 1945, a magazine writer has created the proto-Martha Stewart life, and a wounded soldier just wants a perfect Christmas in Connecticut with her and her (imaginary) family. Wacky hijinks ensue. The leads were all in their late 30s/early 40s, which made this really interesting to me!
2. What If- Dan Radcliffe, Zoe Kazan, Adam Driver. It's your basic rom-com, but nice enough to watch while cruising the internet.
3. I, Tonya Robbie and Stan are a bit too old to be playing 20-23 year olds, but their performances are excellent, and Allison Janney stole every scene she was in. Social commentary= excellent, skating= well, that could have been handled better.
4. Star Trek Beyond- second time around. I really like how Simon Pegg's character calls Jayda (Sophia Boutella) "lassie" all the time. I really liked how that relationship was created to be father/child rather than love interest.
5. Landline Really, really good cast. Tightly plotted movie, and they felt like actual people who make both good and bad decisions.
6. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri It's been nominated for Best Score- I just remember thinking the movie was so quiet. Huh. McDormond was excellent, and Woody Harrelson was, too.
7. New In Town- Renee Z. and Harry Connick, Jr. She's a corporate shill, he's the union rep for a dairy factory in Minnesota. It could be better.
8. Zoolander 2 This would have been really funny about 10 years ago. Sadly, it's not 10 years ago.
9. Good Dick I watched because Jason Ritter was in it. Well, it was interesting- Ritter's character essentially stalks the female lead (neither receive names in the movie), and won't take no for an answer. This is really not cute, or sweet, no matter how puppy-dog charming Ritter is. It's time to revisit what is acceptable movie meet-cute behavior.
10. Boy Taika Waititi's directoral debut. Set in New Zealand in the 1980s, from the perspective of a 10 year old boy. Growing up and learning that his father isn't the hero he thinks he is. It also involves a fantasty/dream sequence in which Waititi is dressed as peak Michael Jackson.
11. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- (first viewing of the year!) Saw with my dad, who has seen none of the Marvel movies. He had many questions.
12. The Shape of Water Very del Toro, I would have liked it more if the people next to me hadn't been laughing through most of the movie. Absolutely beautiful, needed more of the creature.
13. Paddington 2: The Paddingtonian This was absolute sweetness, and delightful, and everyone in it should receive all the awards. Also, how do they do such good CGI? I buy that the bear is real.

(Side note: Does Sally Hawkins have something in her contract about having to swim in her movies? Because she was very water- adjacent in both of these!)
14. Wonder Woman- so glad I saw it on the big screen to begin with- the CGI gets funny on a tv.
15. Cars 3 I didn't see Cars 2, but it didn't seem to matter. I mostly had it on to occupy time. It was harmless.
16. The Decoy Bride- re-watch for something cute. Extra points for David Tennant.
17. Captain America: Civil War- Getting ready for Black Panther! Still #TeamBucky
18. Black Panther Afternoon matinee with Lando and Victor. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and was totally hyped when I walked out of the theater. The costuming and set design are phenomenal, and the cast is 100% perfect. It works very well, with a solid script and good plot. It is a good movie, not just a good comic book movie. (Also, I want to grow up to be Shuri, T'Challa's sister) If you go, stay through the credits- there are two in credit scenes.
19. BFG Big Friendly Giant- Spielberg directed version of the Roald Dahl book. I kept thinking how much my niece and nephew would love it. Charming.
20. Room Very good. I don't think I could be a parent and let my 5/6 year old act in a movie like this. I know movies are shot out of order, and things are cut in different ways, so Tremblay would have been kept from the adult content, I hope, but it seems like it could have long-term effects on a kid.
21. Logan Lucky Very fun, very light, and Daniel Craig as Joe Bang was a delight.
22. Annihilation I'm not sure if I liked this - I know I didn't dislike it, but it was very *something* It definitely made me think.
23. Captain America: The Winter Soldier It was still in the Blu-Ray player, so I watched it again while messing around online.
24. To Wong Fu- Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar- For being 20 years old, it was a much kinder movie than I expected (I first saw it in the late '90s). John Leguizamo just about steals the movie from Patrick Swayze.
25. A Wrinkle in Time Solid kid movie, Storm Reid did a great job at Meg Murray, I liked Mindy Kaling for the first time ever, and it just needed a tiny bit more Chris Pine.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2018, 02:42:37 PM »

I'm curious. Anymore I avoid trailers and ads for movies I want to see, so I probably missed it. I like doing what I can to take a movie on its own terms.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2018, 03:31:21 PM »

I'm curious. Anymore I avoid trailers and ads for movies I want to see, so I probably missed it. I like doing what I can to take a movie on its own terms.

I knew very little about the movie before going to see it. I knew it was filmed in Atlanta and I remember liking the trailer. But, that was it.

In the very beginning of the movie, when the McAdams and Bateman characters meet, they are on a train car. Since the movie was filmed here, I was wondering if this scene was filmed on MARTA or if it was a set piece. I started looking at the signs and markings to see if anything screamed MARTA when I noticed the flashing sign in the back that said, "DON'T TRUST GARY". I was wondering who Gary could be...and then we met the Jesse Plemmons character 2-3 minutes later. BOOM.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2018, 06:41:10 AM »

I knew very little about the movie before going to see it. I knew it was filmed in Atlanta and I remember liking the trailer. But, that was it.

In the very beginning of the movie, when the McAdams and Bateman characters meet, they are on a train car. Since the movie was filmed here, I was wondering if this scene was filmed on MARTA or if it was a set piece. I started looking at the signs and markings to see if anything screamed MARTA when I noticed the flashing sign in the back that said, "DON'T TRUST GARY". I was wondering who Gary could be...and then we met the Jesse Plemmons character 2-3 minutes later. BOOM.
Oh, jeez, yeah, that would ruin half the fun. Glad I missed it.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2018, 08:44:22 AM »

1. LANDLINE - 01/01/18 - Amazon - Jenny Slate, Edie Falco, and John Turturro. What's not to love? Really impressed with the unknown for me in the cast, Abby Quinn. The 90s clothing and music were also perfection. I've been singing Crystal Waters for two days in a row as a result. La-da-di, la-doo-dow. https://youtu.be/_KztNIg4cvE
2. I, TONYA - 01/06/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - I thought it was just OK. I liked Margot as the older Tonya. But, trying to pass her off as fifteen around actual 15 year olds was ridiculous. Also, the CGI took me out of the skating parts. It was not good. But, Allison Janey was incredible and I really liked what the movie had to say about the way Tonya was treated by the media (and the country).
3. QUEEN OF KATWE - 01/17/18 - dvd from library - I'm the #1 Spice!
4. THE MARTIAN - 01/17/18 - FX - repeat viewing - Still a fun and thrilling movie experience.
5. COMING TO AMERICA - 01/19/18 - STARZ - repeat viewing - The looks on the royal family's faces when Patrice tells them that Semmi is the prince is so good.
6. CALL ME BY YOUR NAME - 01/20/18 - Regal Kennesaw - I've been floating around in this world since seeing this movie on Saturday. The longing. The tension. The messiness of all of it. GAH. Also, I'll never be able to get "Love My Way" out of my head.
7. COLUMBUS - 01/20/18 - Amazon VOD (for only $0.99!) - I've been through Columbus on my way to Nashville and always wanted to stop and see what was up with that town that just pops up (seemingly) out of nowhere with that incredible bridge. It was fun to meander through the town in the film, along with John Cho and Haley Lu Richardson. Parker Posey was maybe the least "Parker Posey-ish" that I've seen her.
8. BURKE & HARE - 01/21/18 - some cable channel - We stumbled onto this movie - "WHAT IS THIS MOVIE WITH SIMON PEGG AND ANDY SERKIS?!?!!?" - and couldn't turn it off even though it was absolutely dreadful. I had no idea that this movie existed. I can't believe it was made and released. I can't believe we watched it.
9. THE POST - 01/23/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - I thought this would be a snoozer but it definitely held my interest. Waste of Sarah Paulson amongst a cast that was just an embarrassment of riches for Spielberg (Odenkirk was dynamite!). Cheers from the audience when Kay really has her moment in the final act.
10. PHANTOM THREAD - 01/27/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - I could watch those seamstresses walk up and down those stairs all day. But, this movie wasn't really for me.
11. THE SHAPE OF WATER - 01/28/18 - Studio Movie Grille - For a Guillermo Del Toro movie, I would have liked to have had a bit more creature in this feature. Sally Hawkins was breathtaking in this performance. So many scenes were absolutely beautiful.
12. THE MEYEROWITZ STORIES - 02/03/18 - Netflix - Heavy family stuff with all of the actors doing the heavy lifting.
13. (NUOVO) CINEMA PARADISO - 02/03/18 - Netflix - repeat viewing - Has any kid been cuter on screen that little Toto? COME ON. Marco Leonardi was soooooooooooooo foine. I checked his IMDB and nearly plotzed when I saw that he is in ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD. Now I have a reason to watch it. Watching this again was like hanging out with an old friend.
14. PADDINGTON 2 - 02/04/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - Please wrap me up in all of the wallpaper in this movie. So delicious. This was light and funny and gorgeous and highly entertaining. The perfect Sunday matinee.
15. BLACK PANTHER - 02/16/18 - Studio Movie Grill w/va_vacious and Victor - Great action, great cast, great look, and a story that made sense. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED the movie but very underwhelmed with the "grill" experience at the movies this time. When you get bad service at a restaurant, it ruins the meal. When you get bad service at one of these dine-in theatres, it ruins the meal AND the movie-goint experience. BOO.
16. CON AIR - 02/18/18 - repeat viewing - Good Lord. I forgot how stacked this cast was.
17. E:60: OWEN & HAATCHI - 02/25/18 - ESPN - All the tears. A boy and his dog.
18. ANNIHILATION - 02/25/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - For anyone who saw the trailer and thought they would like the movie, I don't see how it could disappoint. It's definitely creepy and sometimes it is down right horrifying. An intense mood that just layers itself around you.
19. TRAFFIC STOP - 02/25/18 - HBO - This is one of the live action shorts that is Oscar nominated this year and it's available on HBO.
20. GAME NIGHT - 03/06/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - I went in pretty blind on this one, only remembering that I had liked the trailer and that it was filmed in Atlanta. After seeing it, I'm with Butter on this one. I liked it but I could have liked it more. Lots of eye-rolling at how over-the-top some things were in the film. But, it was still fun. Loved the cast. Loved the concept. However, an early easter egg basically tipped a lot of the movie's plot for me and that was annoying.
21. WHEN HARRY MET SALLY - 03/17/18 - repeat viewing - Peeeecaaaaaaaaaaaaan Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie.
22. LOVE, SIMON - 03/17/18 - AMC Barrett Commons - A sweet movie. A nice time at the theatre. Nothing too angsty about this coming out story. But, as I've seen a lot of critics note, that's kind of what makes it so great. It's pretty vanilla and mainstream and most agree that it's time we finally got there with this kind of story.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:17:28 AM by c-lando »

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2018, 10:09:47 AM »

25. A Wrinkle in Time Solid kid movie, Storm Reid did a great job at Meg Murray, I liked Mindy Kaling for the first time ever, and it just needed a tiny bit more Chris Pine.

I thought it was good but not great.  I like Mindy Kaling and she didn't do much for me in this.  Reece Witherspoon was super annoying.  The latter part, after the warriors had to leave was really confusing to me.  Oprah commanded them to stay together, but they were almost literally never together after that point.  And how did they get back with the other kid?  He was nowhere to be seen.  And what was the point of him anyway, he added nothing to the story.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up