Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2018  (Read 9184 times)

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
Re: 50 Movies in 2018
« Reply #195 on: July 02, 2018, 12:34:35 AM »

i moved to a small town north of ann arbor, they have a smallish theater: the lyon theater. ticket, popcorn, and drink for ~12 bucks combined. much better than the mega complexes where i remember paying 12 to get in and another 13 or so for popcorn and drinks.

1. gotcha! - 1985 spy movie with a young anthony edwards. a fun watch.
2. the mist - king novella made into a movie. worth your time if you've never seen it. darabont, who did the green mile and shawshank, then went on to do walking dead directed.
3. bewitched - nicole kidman is cute as a button, will ferrell didn't bother me.
4. black sabbath: the end of the end - documentary on the final tour
5. the brothers grimsby - sacha baron cohen's take on a spy movie sorta spoof. some of the humor was too juvenile for me, but overall pretty good. imagine a spy movie with some comedy thrown in.
6. burke and hare - simon peg and andy serkis couldn't save this stinker about the grave robbers/serial murderes in scotland ~1830's.
7. pandorum - sci fi thriller that didn't hold my attention, started playing on the computer during the 2nd half
8. idiocray - meh. thought this was some cult classic. didn't find it all that funny.
9. star wars -(lyon theater) the most recent one. entertaining. liked it.
10. get out - kinda figured it out fairly early on, but probably heard enough about it to help me. still a very good movie.
11. shaun of the dead - could be the greatest zombie movie ever
12. black panther (lyon theater) - can't say much more than what's already been said. enjoyed it.
13. saving private ryan
14. RAMPAGE! (lyon theater) turn off your brain, eat your popcorn. really liked this! the rock does a nice job; was fun to watch. worth 12 bucks.
15. avengers infinity war (lyon theater) - was entertaining, but i'm not a huge comic book/movie fan, so i didn't even know some of the characters. did hold my attention for 2.5 hours. i'll comment more in the appropriate thread.
16. death race 2 - don't bother. some kind of prequel for a video game tie-in, twisted metal, maybe? i'm logging it in so any of you don't lose 100 mins of your life. but maggie from the walking dead was the bad corporate woman. really overplayed barely dressed women. and unnecessary boobs. i'm all for some nudity to earn a R rating, but at least three times i went "did i really just see a topless woman for no reason?" i'll pass on any other death race movies, and there appear to be a few of them.
17. hidden figures - fantastic movie. worth all of accolades i had heard. worthy of watching. great performances and i really liked interjecting the movie against the civil rights movement. hard to believe segregation was still a thing ~50 years ago.
18 juan of the dead - (i thought i already posted this one) cuban zombie movie with interesting social commentary. the zombies were "dissidents" . english subtitles. worthy of watching once.
19. solo (lyon theater) - nice job continuing the back story of star wars. i'm sure i missed many of the easter eggs/tie-ins, but enjoyed it.
20. black sabbath: the end of the end - decent documentary of sabbath's last tour. damn, these guys are old. 69 or 70 all of them. rick wakeman's (of yes) kid played keyboards for them.
21. superhero movie - a police squad type of spoof of superhero movies. made me laugh a few times.
22. ocean's 8: amc west chester - ocean's 11 with the ladies. if you liked that series, you'll like this one too. i thought it was very good.
23,24 mission impossible 1 & 2: first time seeing these in years. dated spy movie from 96?? they used netscape! in 2, the villains accent was so hard to figure out, i really lost interest.
25. they live - john carpenter's "horror" movie about aliens that have already taken over society and can only be seen with special sunglasses. rowdy roddy piper with the best mullet ever.
26,27: pirates of the caribbean: dead man's chest & at worlds end - wow. that was a long way to go to finish the story told in two movies. not as good as i remembered, but they are 10 years old.
28. incredibles2 south lyon theater: if you liked the first, you'll like this one. jak-jak steals the movie!
29. the autopsy of jane doe: nice creepy movie about a father and son coroner team. at just under 90 minutes, it went by quickly.
30. eragorn -  decent dragon movie from 2006. cgi has aged well. enjoyed the dragon.
31. stand by me - ah, the old movie from my high school years. this one also has aged well.
32. race to witch mountain - the rock in a remake of a movie from my youth. gave cameos to the kids (who are adults now) from the original. it was entertaining and fun to watch on a day made to stay in with the AC cranked up.
33. the taking of pelham 123 - denzel and travolta facing off as good guy and bad guy. sucked me in.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #196 on: July 02, 2018, 08:43:40 AM »

1. LANDLINE - 01/01/18 - Amazon - Jenny Slate, Edie Falco, and John Turturro. What's not to love? Really impressed with the unknown for me in the cast, Abby Quinn. The 90s clothing and music were also perfection. I've been singing Crystal Waters for two days in a row as a result. La-da-di, la-doo-dow. https://youtu.be/_KztNIg4cvE
2. I, TONYA - 01/06/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - I thought it was just OK. I liked Margot as the older Tonya. But, trying to pass her off as fifteen around actual 15 year olds was ridiculous. Also, the CGI took me out of the skating parts. It was not good. But, Allison Janey was incredible and I really liked what the movie had to say about the way Tonya was treated by the media (and the country).
3. QUEEN OF KATWE - 01/17/18 - dvd from library - I'm the #1 Spice!
4. THE MARTIAN - 01/17/18 - FX - repeat viewing - Still a fun and thrilling movie experience.
5. COMING TO AMERICA - 01/19/18 - STARZ - repeat viewing - The looks on the royal family's faces when Patrice tells them that Semmi is the prince is so good.
6. CALL ME BY YOUR NAME - 01/20/18 - Regal Kennesaw - I've been floating around in this world since seeing this movie on Saturday. The longing. The tension. The messiness of all of it. GAH. Also, I'll never be able to get "Love My Way" out of my head.
7. COLUMBUS - 01/20/18 - Amazon VOD (for only $0.99!) - I've been through Columbus on my way to Nashville and always wanted to stop and see what was up with that town that just pops up (seemingly) out of nowhere with that incredible bridge. It was fun to meander through the town in the film, along with John Cho and Haley Lu Richardson. Parker Posey was maybe the least "Parker Posey-ish" that I've seen her.
8. BURKE & HARE - 01/21/18 - some cable channel - We stumbled onto this movie - "WHAT IS THIS MOVIE WITH SIMON PEGG AND ANDY SERKIS?!?!!?" - and couldn't turn it off even though it was absolutely dreadful. I had no idea that this movie existed. I can't believe it was made and released. I can't believe we watched it.
9. THE POST - 01/23/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - I thought this would be a snoozer but it definitely held my interest. Waste of Sarah Paulson amongst a cast that was just an embarrassment of riches for Spielberg (Odenkirk was dynamite!). Cheers from the audience when Kay really has her moment in the final act.
10. PHANTOM THREAD - 01/27/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - I could watch those seamstresses walk up and down those stairs all day. But, this movie wasn't really for me.
11. THE SHAPE OF WATER - 01/28/18 - Studio Movie Grille - For a Guillermo Del Toro movie, I would have liked to have had a bit more creature in this feature. Sally Hawkins was breathtaking in this performance. So many scenes were absolutely beautiful.
12. THE MEYEROWITZ STORIES - 02/03/18 - Netflix - Heavy family stuff with all of the actors doing the heavy lifting.
13. (NUOVO) CINEMA PARADISO - 02/03/18 - Netflix - repeat viewing - Has any kid been cuter on screen that little Toto? COME ON. Marco Leonardi was soooooooooooooo foine. I checked his IMDB and nearly plotzed when I saw that he is in ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD. Now I have a reason to watch it. Watching this again was like hanging out with an old friend.
14. PADDINGTON 2 - 02/04/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - Please wrap me up in all of the wallpaper in this movie. So delicious. This was light and funny and gorgeous and highly entertaining. The perfect Sunday matinee.
15. BLACK PANTHER - 02/16/18 - Studio Movie Grill w/va_vacious and Victor - Great action, great cast, great look, and a story that made sense. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED the movie but very underwhelmed with the "grill" experience at the movies this time. When you get bad service at a restaurant, it ruins the meal. When you get bad service at one of these dine-in theatres, it ruins the meal AND the movie-goint experience. BOO.
16. CON AIR - 02/18/18 - repeat viewing - Good Lord. I forgot how stacked this cast was.
17. E:60: OWEN & HAATCHI - 02/25/18 - ESPN - All the tears. A boy and his dog.
18. ANNIHILATION - 02/25/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - For anyone who saw the trailer and thought they would like the movie, I don't see how it could disappoint. It's definitely creepy and sometimes it is down right horrifying. An intense mood that just layers itself around you.
19. TRAFFIC STOP - 02/25/18 - HBO - This is one of the live action shorts that is Oscar nominated this year and it's available on HBO.
20. GAME NIGHT - 03/06/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - I went in pretty blind on this one, only remembering that I had liked the trailer and that it was filmed in Atlanta. After seeing it, I'm with Butter on this one. I liked it but I could have liked it more. Lots of eye-rolling at how over-the-top some things were in the film. But, it was still fun. Loved the cast. Loved the concept. However, an early easter egg basically tipped a lot of the movie's plot for me and that was annoying.
21. WHEN HARRY MET SALLY - 03/17/18 - repeat viewing - Peeeecaaaaaaaaaaaaan Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie.
22. LOVE, SIMON - 03/17/18 - AMC Barrett Commons - A sweet movie. A nice time at the theatre. Nothing too angsty about this coming out story. But, as I've seen a lot of critics note, that's kind of what makes it so great. It's pretty vanilla and mainstream and most agree that it's time we finally got there with this kind of story.
23. BENJI - 03/23/18 - Netflix - That dog acted his ass off. All of the caper/kidnapping stuff was boring. MORE BENJI GETTING A BUBBLE BATH, PLEASE! 
24. TOMB RAIDER - 03/24/18 - AMC Barrett Commons w/Gwynner - It was a movie. It wasn't awful. Alicia Vikander is pretty.
25. TIME AFTER TIME - 03/25/18 - TCM - I still can't believe that Mary Steenburgen and Malcolm McDowell were ever married. Also, I know I saw this as a kid but I think I totally tuned out all of the Jack the Ripper stuff and just liked the time machine.
26. THE INTERN - 03/25/18 - basic cable - repeat viewing - Robert Deniro is a charming muthafunker in this movie.
27. THE HOUSE - 03/31/18 - HBO - The reviews for this thing were scaaaaaathing when it came out. But, I thought it was fine for a raunchy comedy that I didn't pay to see in the theatre. I'll watch Jason Mantzoukas in ANYTHING and enjoy it. Seeing Amy Poehler and Will Ferrell kiss each other is REALLY weird. It's like watching two siblings make out or something.
28. CLUE - 04/06/18 - Marietta Strand w/va_vacious and Alan - repeat viewing - "Communism is just a red herring."
29. BLOCKERS - 04/07/18 - Regal Cinema Kennesaw - I'd like more of the POV of the girls and less slap-stick comedy from 2/3 of the parents (the Ike Barinholtz storyline was OK with me). But, this did have some GREAT laughs and decent heart. I probably would have LOOOOOOOOOOOVED this in middle school/high school.
30. SUPER TROOPERS - 04/07/18 - Cinemax - repeat viewing - JEEEBUS. I can't wait to see SUPER TROOPERS 2. I love every second of the original and it never gets old.
31. A QUIET PLACE - 04/08/18 - AMC Barrett Commons w/Beth - Plenty of tension, suspense, and fright in this movie without going too far. A fun popcorn movie that will make you clutch the person next to you more than once.
32. THE MASK OF ZORRO - 04/14/18 - Starz - Saw an interview with Antonio on CBS Sunday Morning and it made me think that I'd like to see this movie again. It's 20 years old this year, which seems impossible. But, it did not hold up well for me. However, you can totally see how it made CZJ a star. She is GORGEOUS in this movie.
33. JUMANJI - 04/21/18 - Marietta Picture Show w/Mom - Silly, fun, popcorn movie that we saw for $2.00/each. Went for The Rock, but stayed for Nick Jonas. :)
34. THE FLORIDA PROJECT - 04/22/18 - Amazon Prime Streaming - I loooooooooooove Sean Baker's movies for their realistic portrayal of every day people which is why I don't know if I can forgive him for the ending to this one.
35. ISLE OF DOGS - 04/23/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Mom - PRO DOG.
36. SUPER TROOPERS 2 - 05/11/18 - Regal Town Center WITH THE GREG - This basically lived up to all of my expectations (which were high - get it?) except for the dumb cold opening. Also missed seeing Geoffrey Arend. "You can say 'queefing' on Canadian TV?"
37. BULLITT - 05/13/18 - repeat viewing - When you want an action movie that doesn't need a ton of flash or silly quips, but you would like to see a turtleneck or two.
38. AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR - 05/14/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/The Greg - "Oh, I'mma get that arm."
39. ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING - 05/21/18 - Netflix - A movie with a talking dog (voiced by Robin Williams), Simon Pegg, and Monty Python and I had never heard of it. A few GREAT jokes, but mostly just silly fun.
40. SOLO - 05/25/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/The Greg - I thought it was fun. VERY low stakes. Nothing about the STAR WARS universe hangs in the balance. Needs more LANDO.
41. DEADPOOL 2 - 05/26/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/The Greg - It was aiiight.
42. ALI WONG: HARD KNOCK WIFE - 05/19/18 - Netflix - Jeeebus, she's hilarious.
43. ALI WONG: HARD KNOCK WIFE - 06/09/18 - repeat viewing with The Vizz
44. AMERCIAN MADE - 06/16/18 - HBO w/The Greg - Meh. Good to see Tom flying a plane. But, that was about it. Also, the casting for his wife was JARRING. She's a good 20 years younger and looks it.
45. OCEAN'S 8 - 06/17/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Amanda, va_vacious, and Gwynner - Totally a fun matinee with the ladies. Needed more Rihanna and a kiss between Sandy and Cate. Fun to hear Sandy speak German to Heidi.
46. TAG - 06/19/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - Keep the fun movies that help to dig up the smiles and laughter coming, please!
47. UNCLE BUCK - 06/28/18 - repeat viewing - IFC w/The Greg - The clown calling Buck a "four-flushing-sack-o-shit" cracked us up for several minutes. I never thought of using the number of times someone might need to flush as an insult and I am here for it, especially from a drunken clown. Also, Uncle Buck is a master cockblocker.
48. SET IT UP - 06/23/18 - Netflix - Thanks for the reminder va_vacious. I watched this, too. I thought it was OK. I wanted more Lucy Liu. I guess I'm an old because I wanted more of the OLDS than the YOUNGS in the movie. The bit with the pizza was adorable.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #197 on: July 02, 2018, 01:45:20 PM »

Movies seen in 2018 (new movies in bold):
1. The Golden Compass
2. The Dark Tower
3. Star Trek Into Darkness
4. Hidden Figures
5. The Post
6. The Newspaperman: The Life and Times of Ben Bradlee
7. A Futile and Stupid Gesture

8. Die Hard
9. Fanboys
10. X-Men: Days of Future Past
11. Atomic Blonde
12. In The Loop
13. The Last of the Mohicans
14. Black Panther
15. The Hitman's Bodyguard
16. Practical Magic

17. Hot Fuzz
18. Hero
19. Band Aid
20. Andre The Giant
21. Super Troopers 2
22. Avengers: Infinity War

23. Stardust
24. Enchanted
25. American Assassin
26. Deadpool 2

27. I Am Number Four
28. Chef
29. Blade Runner 2049
30. The Shape of Water
31. Lady Bird
32. Kingsman: The Golden Circle

33. Good Morning, Vietnam
34. Hoosiers
35. Varsity Blues
36. Michael Clayton

Varsity Blues: So much to laugh at. The fashion especially. The characters felt like cartoons and were very one dimensional, but hey I guess it worked. The football scenes were actually quite good and enjoyable. The concussion issue was revealing that even in 1999 we knew that football wasn't good for the head, we just didn't know about CTE yet.

Michael Clayton: Better than I expected. The characters were interesting and the scenes and plot were thick and good. Enjoyable. There was a lot of "not explaining" things, which was annoying at first but also forced a lot more attentiveness. Would recommend.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 01:56:44 PM by Dan »

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #198 on: July 03, 2018, 07:43:36 PM »

Movies watched for the first time in bold

1 ● Now More Than Ever: The History of Chicago
2 ● Hopscotch (BD)
3 ● Get Shorty (BD)

4 ● The Hitman's Bodyguard
5 ● The Journey
6 ● Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond
7 ● Water & Power: A California Heist
8 ● Blade Runner 2049
10 ● Battle of the Sexes
11 ● Rules Don’t Apply
12 ● The Upsetter: The Life and Music of Lee Scratch Perry
13 ● A Futile & Stupid Gesture

14 ● Logan Lucky
15 ● Paris Can Wait
16 ● Darkest Hour
17 ● The Foreigner
18 ● Geostorm
19 ● Rough Night
20 ● Somer's Town
21 ● My Big Fat Greek Wedding
22 ● When Harry Met Sally (BD)
23 ● Taken (BD)
24 ● Small Faces: All or Nothing 1965-1968
25 ● The Big Lebowski (BD)
26 ● Life of Brian (BD)
27 ● Gregory's Girl (BD)
28 ● Dave Made a Maze
29 ● Star Wars: The Last Jedi
30 ● Funniest
31 ● Herman's Hermits: Listen People 1964-1969
32 ● Maudie
33 ● The Babysitters
34 ● Rear Window (BR)
35 ● The Time of their Lives
36 ● Paddington 2
37 ● The In-Laws
38 ● Wish You Were Here
39 ● Faces Places
40 ● Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
41 ● The Post
42 ● Coco
43 ● Wilson
44 ● Victoria & Abdul
45 ● Three Billboards Outside Ebbings, Missouri
46 ● Murder on the Orient Express (2017)
47 ● Downsizing
48 ● Dusty Springfield: Once Upon a Time 1964-1969
49 ● Six Shooter
50 ● Lady Bird
51 ● The Shape of Water

adding

52 ● The Hollies: Look Through Any Window 1963-1975
Final edition in the series of dcoumentaries about British musical icons. The Hollies always ran hot and cold for me, early usually better than late preferred. However "Gasoline Alley Bred" was one of the very first singles I ever bought, so soft spot? Absolutely!
53 ● The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected)
Dustin Hoffman plays the wicked patriarch of a dysfunctional family. Like Wes Anderson took a shit and came out wrong
54 ● Ethel & Ernest
For all kinds of (personal) reasons, this might be my favourite film of the year so far. An animated drama by Raymond ("The Snowman") Briggs, based on the life of his parents commencing during WWII. How they met, fell in love, had babies and started a home. For me, this was beautiful, reminded me of many of the stories my Dad told me about his own life, including the "make do" attitude so many people had in those days. Lovely. YMMV.
55 ● Dial M for Murder (BD)
Second in my 2018 Blu-Ray re-watching of Hitchcock Movies. Simple murder story very well told.
56 ● Rope (BD)
As 55, except I'd never seen this before. All filmed on one set, except the opening scene where Hitch himself makes his usual appearance
57 ● The Clapper
More like "The Crapper"
58 ● The Strange Name Movie
Peculiar documentary about people with peculiar names. Why they didn't contact Warren County politician Dick Sweat I have no idea.
59 ● Marnie (BD)
Another Hitch I hadn't seen before. Tippi Hedren is drop dead gorge
60 ● North by Northwest (BD)
Followed by one I had. Well-filmed, but SOOOOO many holes in the flimsy plot
61 ● The Circle
This shit the bed SO hard in the final act. It's almost like they sacked the writer and brought in someone who had never seen or read the previous 70 minutes.
62 ● The Death of Stalin
Brilliant. Laugh-out loud funny. Armando Iannucci (inventor of foul-mouthed Malcolm Tucker and "The Thick of It") comes up trumps with the (based on a true story) tale of Russian political life before and after Stalin's death. The twist? It's all actors with a range of British accents who all speak in those accents.
63 ● Suburbicon
The clue was in the last three letters of the title. And Matt Daaaaaaamonnnnnn
64 ● The Disaster Artist
I've never seen "The Room". I kinda wish I hadn't seen this either.
65 ● Kicking Off
Another British comedy that had a great concept - two football fans kidnap the referee following a match in which their team got relegated - but with shitty execution and a rotten ending.
66 ● Yesterday's Hero
Very surprised to see this late 70's "footie drama classic" added to AmPrime. It has every possible cliché you can imagine, and several you couldn't. Ian McShane starts as the washed up ex-superstar player who gets asked out of 'professional retirement' to help a third division club owned by a pop superstar reach a Cup Final at Wembley. This was/is very much a guilty pleasure for me in a "so bad its good" way. The pop performances are cringeworthy (Suzanne Somers and Paul Nicholas with 100% ham) but the inserted-into-real-footage football segments beggar belief at their awfulness. Trivia freaks may like to know the Wembley footage used was actually the 1979 League Cup Final between Nottingham Forest and my beloved Southampton. Which I couldn't attend back in the day because I was too busy selling music to people.
67 ● The Statue
Another oddity on AmPrime. Early 70's 'sexploitation" flick starring David Niven, John Cleese and Robert Vaughan. Niven plays a professor who thinks his wife is having an affair after she sculpts a nude statue of a man whose privates look nothing like his. Flimsy basis for 90 mins of ensuing nudity and titillation in a way only lousy British films from the seventies can offer you.
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #199 on: July 04, 2018, 12:20:07 AM »

I don't get your love for "The Death of Stalin", which I guess I just didn't "get it". For me it was a terrible movie. (If memory serve me right--which I won't vouch for--I didn't make it through the entire movie when I saw it at the Esquire).
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #200 on: July 05, 2018, 08:12:07 AM »

1. Darkest Hour - 8
2. Downsizing - 5
3. I Called Him Morgan - 8
4. The Big Sick - 8
5. Icarus - 8
6. It Comes at Night - 7
7. The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) - 8
8. Creep 2 - 7
9. 1922 - 8
10. The Post - 9
11. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 8
12. Call Me By Your Name - 7
13. I, Tonya - 7
14. The Shape of Water - 8
15. Phantom Thread - 9
16. Last Men in Aleppo - 7
17. Mudbound - 8
18. The Seventh Fire - 6
19. The Cloverfield Paradox - 6
20. Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story - 6
21. Paddington 2 - 8
22. A Futile and Stupid Gesture - 7
23. Game Night - 7
24. Black Panther - 9
25. Radius - 7
26. The Stanford Prison Experiment - 6
27. The Lost City of Z - 8
28. Abacus: Small Enough to Jail - 7
29. Escape Fire: The Fight to Rescue American Healthcare - 7
30. Annihilation - 8
31. Love, Simon - 7
32. The Ritual - 7
33. Ready Player One - 5
34. The Florida Project - 5
35. The Killing of a Sacred Deer - 3
36. The Little Hours - 6
37. The Barkley Marathons - 9
38. Mister Rogers and Me - 6
39. I Feel Pretty - 6
40. Isle of Dogs - 7
41. Avengers: Infinity War - 5
42. Tully - 8
43. War for the Planet of the Apes - 6
44. Lady Macbeth (2016) - 8
45. Train to Busan - 7
46. The Polka King - 6
47. Life of the Party - 5
48. A Quiet Place - 8
49. Absolutely Anything - 4
50. Deadpool 2 - 7
51. Solo - 6
52. Hereditary - 9
53. Incredibles 2 - 7
54. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - 3
55. Monty Python and the Holy Grail

56. Incredibles 2, again

57. I Love You, Man

Laters on the menjay.

58. Won't You Be My Neighbor? - 8

A little short on insight, but it was just nice to spend some more time with Fred.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #201 on: July 05, 2018, 09:21:46 AM »

i moved to a small town north of ann arbor, they have a smallish theater: the lyon theater. ticket, popcorn, and drink for ~12 bucks combined. much better than the mega complexes where i remember paying 12 to get in and another 13 or so for popcorn and drinks.

2. the mist - king novella made into a movie. worth your time if you've never seen it. darabont, who did the green mile and shawshank, then went on to do walking dead directed.
3. bewitched - nicole kidman is cute as a button, will ferrell didn't bother me.
5. the brothers grimsby - sacha baron cohen's take on a spy movie sorta spoof. some of the humor was too juvenile for me, but overall pretty good. imagine a spy movie with some comedy thrown in.
6. burke and hare - simon peg and andy serkis couldn't save this stinker about the grave robbers/serial murderes in scotland ~1830's.
7. pandorum - sci fi thriller that didn't hold my attention, started playing on the computer during the 2nd half
8. idiocray - meh. thought this was some cult classic. didn't find it all that funny.
10. get out - kinda figured it out fairly early on, but probably heard enough about it to help me. still a very good movie.
12. black panther (lyon theater) - can't say much more than what's already been said. enjoyed it.
13. saving private ryan
14. RAMPAGE! (lyon theater) turn off your brain, eat your popcorn. really liked this! the rock does a nice job; was fun to watch. worth 12 bucks.
15. avengers infinity war (lyon theater) - was entertaining, but i'm not a huge comic book/movie fan, so i didn't even know some of the characters. did hold my attention for 2.5 hours. i'll comment more in the appropriate thread.
16. death race 2 - don't bother. some kind of prequel for a video game tie-in, twisted metal, maybe? i'm logging it in so any of you don't lose 100 mins of your life. but maggie from the walking dead was the bad corporate woman. really overplayed barely dressed women. and unnecessary boobs. i'm all for some nudity to earn a R rating, but at least three times i went "did i really just see a topless woman for no reason?" i'll pass on any other death race movies, and there appear to be a few of them.
17. hidden figures - fantastic movie. worth all of accolades i had heard. worthy of watching. great performances and i really liked interjecting the movie against the civil rights movement. hard to believe segregation was still a thing ~50 years ago.
18 juan of the dead - (i thought i already posted this one) cuban zombie movie with interesting social commentary. the zombies were "dissidents" . english subtitles. worthy of watching once.
19. solo (lyon theater) - nice job continuing the back story of star wars. i'm sure i missed many of the easter eggs/tie-ins, but enjoyed it.
20. black sabbath: the end of the end - decent documentary of sabbath's last tour. damn, these guys are old. 69 or 70 all of them. rick wakeman's (of yes) kid played keyboards for them.
21. superhero movie - a police squad type of spoof of superhero movies. made me laugh a few times.
22. ocean's 8: amc west chester - ocean's 11 with the ladies. if you liked that series, you'll like this one too. i thought it was very good.
23,24 mission impossible 1 & 2: first time seeing these in years. dated spy movie from 96?? they used netscape! in 2, the villains accent was so hard to figure out, i really lost interest.
25. they live - john carpenter's "horror" movie about aliens that have already taken over society and can only be seen with special sunglasses. rowdy roddy piper with the best mullet ever.
26,27: pirates of the caribbean: dead man's chest & at worlds end - wow. that was a long way to go to finish the story told in two movies. not as good as i remembered, but they are 10 years old.
28. incredibles2 south lyon theater: if you liked the first, you'll like this one. jak-jak steals the movie!
29. the autopsy of jane doe: nice creepy movie about a father and son coroner team. at just under 90 minutes, it went by quickly.
30. eragorn -  decent dragon movie from 2006. cgi has aged well. enjoyed the dragon.
31. stand by me - ah, the old movie from my high school years. this one also has aged well.
32. race to witch mountain - the rock in a remake of a movie from my youth. gave cameos to the kids (who are adults now) from the original. it was entertaining and fun to watch on a day made to stay in with the AC cranked up.
33. the taking of pelham 123 - denzel and travolta facing off as good guy and bad guy. sucked me in.

BOND WEEK!
34. Dr. No - the very first bond. the gadgets are a bit dated, but ursula address is not
35. from russia with love - aged well enough. the plot gets a little convoluted but isn't that always the case with bond movies?
36. the spy who loved me - i remember this from my youth, watching on the tv in the living room.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #202 on: July 07, 2018, 07:15:25 PM »

This is my 11th year tracking movies! Yikes! (Nevertheless, here I go)

1. Christmas in Connecticut from 1945, a magazine writer has created the proto-Martha Stewart life, and a wounded soldier just wants a perfect Christmas in Connecticut with her and her (imaginary) family. Wacky hijinks ensue. The leads were all in their late 30s/early 40s, which made this really interesting to me!
2. What If- Dan Radcliffe, Zoe Kazan, Adam Driver. It's your basic rom-com, but nice enough to watch while cruising the internet.
3. I, Tonya Robbie and Stan are a bit too old to be playing 20-23 year olds, but their performances are excellent, and Allison Janney stole every scene she was in. Social commentary= excellent, skating= well, that could have been handled better.
4. Star Trek Beyond- second time around. I really like how Simon Pegg's character calls Jayda (Sophia Boutella) "lassie" all the time. I really liked how that relationship was created to be father/child rather than love interest.
5. Landline Really, really good cast. Tightly plotted movie, and they felt like actual people who make both good and bad decisions.
6. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri It's been nominated for Best Score- I just remember thinking the movie was so quiet. Huh. McDormond was excellent, and Woody Harrelson was, too.
7. New In Town- Renee Z. and Harry Connick, Jr. She's a corporate shill, he's the union rep for a dairy factory in Minnesota. It could be better.
8. Zoolander 2 This would have been really funny about 10 years ago. Sadly, it's not 10 years ago.
9. Good Dick I watched because Jason Ritter was in it. Well, it was interesting- Ritter's character essentially stalks the female lead (neither receive names in the movie), and won't take no for an answer. This is really not cute, or sweet, no matter how puppy-dog charming Ritter is. It's time to revisit what is acceptable movie meet-cute behavior.
10. Boy Taika Waititi's directoral debut. Set in New Zealand in the 1980s, from the perspective of a 10 year old boy. Growing up and learning that his father isn't the hero he thinks he is. It also involves a fantasty/dream sequence in which Waititi is dressed as peak Michael Jackson.
11. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- (first viewing of the year!) Saw with my dad, who has seen none of the Marvel movies. He had many questions.
12. The Shape of Water Very del Toro, I would have liked it more if the people next to me hadn't been laughing through most of the movie. Absolutely beautiful, needed more of the creature.
13. Paddington 2: The Paddingtonian This was absolute sweetness, and delightful, and everyone in it should receive all the awards. Also, how do they do such good CGI? I buy that the bear is real.

(Side note: Does Sally Hawkins have something in her contract about having to swim in her movies? Because she was very water- adjacent in both of these!)
14. Wonder Woman- so glad I saw it on the big screen to begin with- the CGI gets funny on a tv.
15. Cars 3 I didn't see Cars 2, but it didn't seem to matter. I mostly had it on to occupy time. It was harmless.
16. The Decoy Bride- re-watch for something cute. Extra points for David Tennant.
17. Captain America: Civil War- Getting ready for Black Panther! Still #TeamBucky
18. Black Panther Afternoon matinee with Lando and Victor. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and was totally hyped when I walked out of the theater. The costuming and set design are phenomenal, and the cast is 100% perfect. It works very well, with a solid script and good plot. It is a good movie, not just a good comic book movie. (Also, I want to grow up to be Shuri, T'Challa's sister) If you go, stay through the credits- there are two in credit scenes.
19. BFG Big Friendly Giant- Spielberg directed version of the Roald Dahl book. I kept thinking how much my niece and nephew would love it. Charming.
20. Room Very good. I don't think I could be a parent and let my 5/6 year old act in a movie like this. I know movies are shot out of order, and things are cut in different ways, so Tremblay would have been kept from the adult content, I hope, but it seems like it could have long-term effects on a kid.
21. Logan Lucky Very fun, very light, and Daniel Craig as Joe Bang was a delight.
22. Annihilation I'm not sure if I liked this - I know I didn't dislike it, but it was very *something* It definitely made me think.
23. Captain America: The Winter Soldier It was still in the Blu-Ray player, so I watched it again while messing around online.
24. To Wong Fu- Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar- For being 20 years old, it was a much kinder movie than I expected (I first saw it in the late '90s). John Leguizamo just about steals the movie from Patrick Swayze.
25. A Wrinkle in Time Solid kid movie, Storm Reid did a great job at Meg Murray, I liked Mindy Kaling for the first time ever, and it just needed a tiny bit more Chris Pine.
26. Hot Fuzz- wanted to watch something while waiting for friends. Their 13 year old thought it was great.
27. Hot Fuzz- 13 year old from above wanted to see it again- the "Best Movie Ever" he declared
28. Shaun of the Dead- had to follow up Hot Fuzz somehow!
29. Blockers I thought it would be dumb, but it was legit funny. I got free passes to a showing last night (yay!) and it was worth driving almost to Tucker to see. I laughed way more than I should have, and it is just fun.
30. Clue - with Lando at the Strand. The sound was not great, the cast looked like BABIES, but still all around enjoyable. Also, beer in the theater is an automatic win.
31. Despicable Me 3 Not quite despicable, not quite good, either. A little too much Steve Carrell .
32. Avengers: Infinity War Saw it opening weekend, and yes, I really liked it. It needed more T'Challa, and way more Shuri.
33. John Mulaney: New in Town I didn't like his sitcom, but I do like the standup.
34. John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous at Radio City Hall Seriously, I like Mulaney a great deal.
35. Tig Nataro: Happy To Be Here She has a whole bit about her cat. It works for me.
36. Magic Mike- I was cleaning house, needed something entertaining.
37. Ibiza An honest to God Rom-Com! I will be watching it again, Richard Madden is easy on the eyes, and it's a wonderful movie about best friends, too.
38. Gifted Chris Evans in non-superhero mode. It's sweet,  but made me cry a few times.
39. Deadpool 2 It was fun, but I liked the first one better.
40. Oceans 8- Super fun, got to see it with Lando. Cate Blanchette had the most incredible hair.
41. Set It Up - Netflix. I see the return of the Rom-Com and I like it! It was cute, would be a good Saturday afternoon couch watch.
42. Solo Finally! It was enjoyable. Exactly what it was supposed to be- fun. I'd be ok with a Chewbacca movie, honestly.

43. Real Genius- I have no idea if this is actually a good movie or not, because I revert to my 13 year-old self and swoon over Val Kilmer.
44. African Queen- I don't think a movie like this could be made today. Hepburn and Bogart were really phenomenal.
45. The Princess Diaries- it's hot, summer, and this is the perfect antitdote. 

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #203 on: July 08, 2018, 01:58:13 PM »

1. The Golden Compass
2. The Dark Tower
4. Hidden Figures
5. The Post

8. Die Hard
9. Fanboys
11. Atomic Blonde
12. In The Loop
14. Black Panther
16. Practical Magic

17. Hot Fuzz
18. Hero
19. Band Aid
20. Andre The Giant
21. Super Troopers 2

23. Stardust
24. Enchanted
25. American Assassin
26. Deadpool 2

27. I Am Number Four
28. Chef
29. Blade Runner 2049
30. The Shape of Water
31. Lady Bird

34. Hoosiers
35. Varsity Blues
36. Michael Clayton
37. Out of Sight

I had never heard of this before watching. It was wonderful. Clooney, Lopez, and a cast of notable names all doing their thing. I said out loud, "this reminds me a bit of "Get Shorty"" and then it said it was based on the book by Elmore Leonard. Of course!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #204 on: July 09, 2018, 11:39:15 AM »

1. Molly's Game (Cinemark Oakley)
2. The Commuter (Cinemark Oakley)
3. Insidious: The Last Key (Regal Belltower, Ft. Myers, FL)
4. Sicario (DVD)
5. I, Tonya (Regal Belltower (Regal Belltower, Ft. Myers, FL)
6. Phantom Thread (Regal Belltower, Ft. Myers, FL)
7. Call Me By Your Name (Cinemark Oakley)
8. The Post (Cinemark Oakley)
9. Hostiles (Cinemark Oakley)
10. Dunkirk (AMC Newport on the Levee)
11. The Insult (Mariemont Theater)
12. Ben-Gurion, Epilogue (2018 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival at the Esquire)
13. The 90-Minute War (2018 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival at the Mariemont)
14. Scaffolding (2018 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival at the Kenwood)
15. Across the Waters (2018 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival at the Mayerson JCC)
16. And Then She Arrives (2018 Jewish & Israeli Film Festival at the Esquire)
17. Den of Thieves (AMC Merchant Crossing, Ft. Myers, FL)
18. Annihilation (AMC Merchant Crossing, Ft. Myers, FL)
19. Double Lover (Regal Gulf Coast Stadium 16, Ft. Myers, FL)
20. Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool (Mariemont Theater)
21. Red Sparrow (Cinemark Oakley)
22. In the Fade (Gateway Film Center, Columbus, OH)
23. Jane (Esquire Theater)
24. A Fantastic Woman (Esquire Theater)
25. Thoroughbreds (Esquire Theater)
26. Game Night (Regal Belltower, Ft. Myers, FL)
27. The Leisure Seeker (Regal Belltower, Ft. Myers, FL)
28. 1945 (Regal Belltower, Ft Myers, FL)
29. The Third Man (TCM)
30. Our New President (2018 Fort Myers Film Festival at AMC Merchant Crossing)
31. The Odd Couple (TCM)
32. Loveless (Esquire Theater)
33. The Death of Stalin (Esquire Theater)
34. Ready Player One (Cinemark Oakley)
35. The Ardennes (Film Movement DVD)
36. Flower (Esquire Theater)
37. Amnesia (Film Movement DVD)
38. Glory (Film Movement DVD)
39. The Isle of Dogs (Esquire Theater)
40. A Quiet Place (Cinemark Oakley)
41. Blockers (Cinemark Oakley)
42. Hannah (Cartoon's Cinema, Antwerp, Belgium)
43. Nico, 1988 (UGC Cinema, Antwerp, Belgium)
44. You Were Never Really Here (Esquire Theater)
45. Chappaquiddick (Regal Belltower, Ft. Myers, FL)
46. Beirut (Regal Belltower, Ft. Myers, FL)
47. Lean On Pete (Mariemont Theater)
48. Tully (Cinemark Oakley)
49. RBG (Esquire Theater)
50. Disobedience (Mariemont Theater)
51. Let the Sunshine In (Mariemont Theater)
52. Pope Francis: A Man of His Word (Mariemont Theater)
53. Ismael's Ghosts (Mariemont Theater)
54. Beast (Esquire Theater)
55. Solo: A Star Wars Story (Cinemark Oakley)
56. The Rider (Esquire Theater)
57. Adrift (Cinemark Oakley)
58. First Reformed (Esquire Theater)
59. On Chesil Beach (Mariemont Theater)
60. Hereditary (Cinemark Oakley)
61. Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Starz)
62. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn (Starz)
63. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (Starz)
64. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Starz)
65. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (Starz)
66. The Seagull (Mariemont Theater)
67. Ocean's 8 (Cinemark Oakley)

Here's an update on the last three weeks or so:

68. Won't You Be My Neighbor? (Mariemont Theater)
69. American Animals (Esquire Theater)
70. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (Cinemark Oakley)
71. Sicario (DVD)
72. Sicario: Day of the Soldado (Cinemark Oakley)
73. The Catcher Was a Spy (Esquire Theater)
74. Gotti (Esquire Theater)
75. Whitney (Cinemark Oakley)

I've seen less movies that usual lately (due to the World Cup of course). But there were some "keepers" nevertheless.

Won't You Be My Neighbor? is a wonderful documentary about Fred Rogers. The timing of this couldn't be better. If I had to summarize it in one sentence: "think of any aspect whatsoever of Trump, and Fred Rogers is the exact 180 degree opposite of that".

American Animals is a nice little heist movie that is a mile or ten better than that other recent heist film (Ocean's Eight). Worth checking out.

Sicario: Day of the Soldado was for me perhaps the single most anticipated release of the year. Alas, it isn't anywhere as good as the original Sicario. There are many reasons for this, but perhaps most surprisingly Emily Blunt's character is dearly missed. Day of the Soldado isn't outright 'bad' of course, but I doubt I'll watch it again (whereas I have seen the original Sicario so many times, and never tire of it).

Gotti is the (in)famously 0% rated movie on Rotten Tomatoes (as in: the worst movie of all times, ever!). And guess what: while it's not "great", neither is it horrendously bad. John Travolta does a credible Gotti impersonation. Extra bonus points for us Cincinnatians is to recognize the local scenery (the movie was filmed here in 2016). Best (or worst) of the bunch is one scene where a big United Dairy Farmers sign is clearly visible. Oh, you didn't know that UDF is big in New York? LOL

Whitney is a bio-documentary about Whitney Houston, made with full cooperation of the Houston estate. Lots of previously unseen home footage. Lots of interviews. Yes, even no-good Bobby Brown gets screen time. When asked to comment on Whitney's drug use in the last years of her life, Brown, without the least of irony or regret, responds "I'm not answering that. Drugs have nothing to do with this documentary". Nice one! In fact the last hour of the documentary details the sad (and drug-fueled) decline of Whitney. Some of those scenes are heartbreaking, frankly. The parallels between this documentary and the "Amy" documentary a few years ago on Amy Winehouse are pretty obvious: the use of the singer's first name for the documentary's title, the questionable role of the respective dads, the respective "bad" boyfriend/husband, the cringe-inducing last tour (for Whitney in 2009). Worth checking out.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #205 on: July 10, 2018, 07:53:17 PM »

13. saving private ryan
BOND WEEK!
34. Dr. No - the very first bond. the gadgets are a bit dated, but ursula address is not
35. from russia with love - aged well enough. the plot gets a little convoluted but isn't that always the case with bond movies?
36. the spy who loved me - i remember this from my youth, watching on the tv in the living room.
37. goldfinger - one of the all time best bonds, but still hasn't aged well.
38. thunderball - never really loved this one.
39. you only live twice - oh boy. this one DID NOT age well at all. bond in japanese cosplay? the racism and mysogenisitic tendencies are very troubling outside of the time this was filmed.
40. diamonds are forever - aging sean connery loose in vegas? jimmy dean? i remember watching this one on the tv in my youth as well. had to leave before the end, parents didn't want me to see the dude burned alive and the other guy exploded at the end. no idea why those were the issues and nothing else in the movie was.
41. the losers - captain america before marvel. a comic book adaptation of some kind. entertaining.
42. kinsman: golden circle - convoluted plot reminiscent of bond movies? you bet. enjoyed, but at 2.5 hours started in the morning and finished in the evening.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #206 on: July 11, 2018, 01:12:24 PM »

1. The Golden Compass
2. The Dark Tower
4. Hidden Figures
5. The Post

8. Die Hard
9. Fanboys
11. Atomic Blonde
12. In The Loop
14. Black Panther
16. Practical Magic

17. Hot Fuzz
18. Hero
19. Band Aid
20. Andre The Giant
21. Super Troopers 2

23. Stardust
24. Enchanted
25. American Assassin
26. Deadpool 2

27. I Am Number Four
28. Chef
29. Blade Runner 2049
30. The Shape of Water
31. Lady Bird

34. Hoosiers
35. Varsity Blues
36. Michael Clayton
37. Out of Sight
38. Ant Man and the Wasp
39. Somm

Ant Man 2 was thoroughly enjoyable. It was light-hearted and very Paul Rudd-y. One could say it was Paul Rudd at his Paul Ruddiest. Lots of laughs and silly gags. The story was fine - mostly more of the standard Marvel stuff. But there were a few characters that I really wanted more of - Ghost, the daughter, the friends, etc. So if there's an expanded directors cut or something it'll probably be really good.

Somm is a documentary on Netflix about 4 guys trying to become Master Sommaliers. Crazy crazy stuff. Recommended.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #207 on: July 16, 2018, 11:18:35 AM »

1. LANDLINE - 01/01/18 - Amazon - Jenny Slate, Edie Falco, and John Turturro. What's not to love? Really impressed with the unknown for me in the cast, Abby Quinn. The 90s clothing and music were also perfection. I've been singing Crystal Waters for two days in a row as a result. La-da-di, la-doo-dow. https://youtu.be/_KztNIg4cvE
2. I, TONYA - 01/06/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - I thought it was just OK. I liked Margot as the older Tonya. But, trying to pass her off as fifteen around actual 15 year olds was ridiculous. Also, the CGI took me out of the skating parts. It was not good. But, Allison Janey was incredible and I really liked what the movie had to say about the way Tonya was treated by the media (and the country).
3. QUEEN OF KATWE - 01/17/18 - dvd from library - I'm the #1 Spice!
4. THE MARTIAN - 01/17/18 - FX - repeat viewing - Still a fun and thrilling movie experience.
5. COMING TO AMERICA - 01/19/18 - STARZ - repeat viewing - The looks on the royal family's faces when Patrice tells them that Semmi is the prince is so good.
6. CALL ME BY YOUR NAME - 01/20/18 - Regal Kennesaw - I've been floating around in this world since seeing this movie on Saturday. The longing. The tension. The messiness of all of it. GAH. Also, I'll never be able to get "Love My Way" out of my head.
7. COLUMBUS - 01/20/18 - Amazon VOD (for only $0.99!) - I've been through Columbus on my way to Nashville and always wanted to stop and see what was up with that town that just pops up (seemingly) out of nowhere with that incredible bridge. It was fun to meander through the town in the film, along with John Cho and Haley Lu Richardson. Parker Posey was maybe the least "Parker Posey-ish" that I've seen her.
8. BURKE & HARE - 01/21/18 - some cable channel - We stumbled onto this movie - "WHAT IS THIS MOVIE WITH SIMON PEGG AND ANDY SERKIS?!?!!?" - and couldn't turn it off even though it was absolutely dreadful. I had no idea that this movie existed. I can't believe it was made and released. I can't believe we watched it.
9. THE POST - 01/23/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - I thought this would be a snoozer but it definitely held my interest. Waste of Sarah Paulson amongst a cast that was just an embarrassment of riches for Spielberg (Odenkirk was dynamite!). Cheers from the audience when Kay really has her moment in the final act.
10. PHANTOM THREAD - 01/27/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - I could watch those seamstresses walk up and down those stairs all day. But, this movie wasn't really for me.
11. THE SHAPE OF WATER - 01/28/18 - Studio Movie Grille - For a Guillermo Del Toro movie, I would have liked to have had a bit more creature in this feature. Sally Hawkins was breathtaking in this performance. So many scenes were absolutely beautiful.
12. THE MEYEROWITZ STORIES - 02/03/18 - Netflix - Heavy family stuff with all of the actors doing the heavy lifting.
13. (NUOVO) CINEMA PARADISO - 02/03/18 - Netflix - repeat viewing - Has any kid been cuter on screen that little Toto? COME ON. Marco Leonardi was soooooooooooooo foine. I checked his IMDB and nearly plotzed when I saw that he is in ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD. Now I have a reason to watch it. Watching this again was like hanging out with an old friend.
14. PADDINGTON 2 - 02/04/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - Please wrap me up in all of the wallpaper in this movie. So delicious. This was light and funny and gorgeous and highly entertaining. The perfect Sunday matinee.
15. BLACK PANTHER - 02/16/18 - Studio Movie Grill w/va_vacious and Victor - Great action, great cast, great look, and a story that made sense. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED the movie but very underwhelmed with the "grill" experience at the movies this time. When you get bad service at a restaurant, it ruins the meal. When you get bad service at one of these dine-in theatres, it ruins the meal AND the movie-goint experience. BOO.
16. CON AIR - 02/18/18 - repeat viewing - Good Lord. I forgot how stacked this cast was.
17. E:60: OWEN & HAATCHI - 02/25/18 - ESPN - All the tears. A boy and his dog.
18. ANNIHILATION - 02/25/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/va_vacious - For anyone who saw the trailer and thought they would like the movie, I don't see how it could disappoint. It's definitely creepy and sometimes it is down right horrifying. An intense mood that just layers itself around you.
19. TRAFFIC STOP - 02/25/18 - HBO - This is one of the live action shorts that is Oscar nominated this year and it's available on HBO.
20. GAME NIGHT - 03/06/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - I went in pretty blind on this one, only remembering that I had liked the trailer and that it was filmed in Atlanta. After seeing it, I'm with Butter on this one. I liked it but I could have liked it more. Lots of eye-rolling at how over-the-top some things were in the film. But, it was still fun. Loved the cast. Loved the concept. However, an early easter egg basically tipped a lot of the movie's plot for me and that was annoying.
21. WHEN HARRY MET SALLY - 03/17/18 - repeat viewing - Peeeecaaaaaaaaaaaaan Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie.
22. LOVE, SIMON - 03/17/18 - AMC Barrett Commons - A sweet movie. A nice time at the theatre. Nothing too angsty about this coming out story. But, as I've seen a lot of critics note, that's kind of what makes it so great. It's pretty vanilla and mainstream and most agree that it's time we finally got there with this kind of story.
23. BENJI - 03/23/18 - Netflix - That dog acted his ass off. All of the caper/kidnapping stuff was boring. MORE BENJI GETTING A BUBBLE BATH, PLEASE! 
24. TOMB RAIDER - 03/24/18 - AMC Barrett Commons w/Gwynner - It was a movie. It wasn't awful. Alicia Vikander is pretty.
25. TIME AFTER TIME - 03/25/18 - TCM - I still can't believe that Mary Steenburgen and Malcolm McDowell were ever married. Also, I know I saw this as a kid but I think I totally tuned out all of the Jack the Ripper stuff and just liked the time machine.
26. THE INTERN - 03/25/18 - basic cable - repeat viewing - Robert Deniro is a charming muthafunker in this movie.
27. THE HOUSE - 03/31/18 - HBO - The reviews for this thing were scaaaaaathing when it came out. But, I thought it was fine for a raunchy comedy that I didn't pay to see in the theatre. I'll watch Jason Mantzoukas in ANYTHING and enjoy it. Seeing Amy Poehler and Will Ferrell kiss each other is REALLY weird. It's like watching two siblings make out or something.
28. CLUE - 04/06/18 - Marietta Strand w/va_vacious and Alan - repeat viewing - "Communism is just a red herring."
29. BLOCKERS - 04/07/18 - Regal Cinema Kennesaw - I'd like more of the POV of the girls and less slap-stick comedy from 2/3 of the parents (the Ike Barinholtz storyline was OK with me). But, this did have some GREAT laughs and decent heart. I probably would have LOOOOOOOOOOOVED this in middle school/high school.
30. SUPER TROOPERS - 04/07/18 - Cinemax - repeat viewing - JEEEBUS. I can't wait to see SUPER TROOPERS 2. I love every second of the original and it never gets old.
31. A QUIET PLACE - 04/08/18 - AMC Barrett Commons w/Beth - Plenty of tension, suspense, and fright in this movie without going too far. A fun popcorn movie that will make you clutch the person next to you more than once.
32. THE MASK OF ZORRO - 04/14/18 - Starz - Saw an interview with Antonio on CBS Sunday Morning and it made me think that I'd like to see this movie again. It's 20 years old this year, which seems impossible. But, it did not hold up well for me. However, you can totally see how it made CZJ a star. She is GORGEOUS in this movie.
33. JUMANJI - 04/21/18 - Marietta Picture Show w/Mom - Silly, fun, popcorn movie that we saw for $2.00/each. Went for The Rock, but stayed for Nick Jonas. :)
34. THE FLORIDA PROJECT - 04/22/18 - Amazon Prime Streaming - I loooooooooooove Sean Baker's movies for their realistic portrayal of every day people which is why I don't know if I can forgive him for the ending to this one.
35. ISLE OF DOGS - 04/23/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Mom - PRO DOG.
36. SUPER TROOPERS 2 - 05/11/18 - Regal Town Center WITH THE GREG - This basically lived up to all of my expectations (which were high - get it?) except for the dumb cold opening. Also missed seeing Geoffrey Arend. "You can say 'queefing' on Canadian TV?"
37. BULLITT - 05/13/18 - repeat viewing - When you want an action movie that doesn't need a ton of flash or silly quips, but you would like to see a turtleneck or two.
38. AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR - 05/14/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/The Greg - "Oh, I'mma get that arm."
39. ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING - 05/21/18 - Netflix - A movie with a talking dog (voiced by Robin Williams), Simon Pegg, and Monty Python and I had never heard of it. A few GREAT jokes, but mostly just silly fun.
40. SOLO - 05/25/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/The Greg - I thought it was fun. VERY low stakes. Nothing about the STAR WARS universe hangs in the balance. Needs more LANDO.
41. DEADPOOL 2 - 05/26/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/The Greg - It was aiiight.
42. ALI WONG: HARD KNOCK WIFE - 05/19/18 - Netflix - Jeeebus, she's hilarious.
43. ALI WONG: HARD KNOCK WIFE - 06/09/18 - repeat viewing with The Vizz
44. AMERCIAN MADE - 06/16/18 - HBO w/The Greg - Meh. Good to see Tom flying a plane. But, that was about it. Also, the casting for his wife was JARRING. She's a good 20 years younger and looks it.
45. OCEAN'S 8 - 06/17/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe w/Amanda, va_vacious, and Gwynner - Totally a fun matinee with the ladies. Needed more Rihanna and a kiss between Sandy and Cate. Fun to hear Sandy speak German to Heidi.
46. TAG - 06/19/18 - AMC Pkwy Pointe - Keep the fun movies that help to dig up the smiles and laughter coming, please!
47. UNCLE BUCK - 06/28/18 - repeat viewing - IFC w/The Greg - The clown calling Buck a "four-flushing-sack-o-shit" cracked us up for several minutes. I never thought of using the number of times someone might need to flush as an insult and I am here for it, especially from a drunken clown. Also, Uncle Buck is a master cockblocker.
48. SET IT UP - 06/23/18 - Netflix - Thanks for the reminder va_vacious. I watched this, too. I thought it was OK. I wanted more Lucy Liu. I guess I'm an old because I wanted more of the OLDS than the YOUNGS in the movie. The bit with the pizza was adorable.
49. A WRINKLE IN TIME  - 07/04/18 - Picture Show w/va_vacious - I liked it much more than I thought that I would.
50. BOOK CLUB - 07/15/18 - Picture Show - I needed to turn my brain off and be surrounded by a bunch of seniors looking to have a good time. So, this movie fit the bill.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #208 on: July 16, 2018, 01:58:14 PM »

1. The Golden Compass
2. The Dark Tower
4. Hidden Figures
5. The Post

8. Die Hard
9. Fanboys
11. Atomic Blonde
12. In The Loop
14. Black Panther
16. Practical Magic

17. Hot Fuzz
18. Hero
19. Band Aid
20. Andre The Giant
21. Super Troopers 2

23. Stardust
24. Enchanted
25. American Assassin
26. Deadpool 2

27. I Am Number Four
28. Chef
29. Blade Runner 2049
30. The Shape of Water
31. Lady Bird

34. Hoosiers
35. Varsity Blues
36. Michael Clayton
37. Out of Sight
38. Ant Man and the Wasp
39. Somm
40. Murder on the Orient Express

We enjoyed it. I was expecting the train to be going to China, and via Siberia, so I was a little surprised at the geography. The ending was good. The casting was notable. It felt very "Kenneth Branagh" so if you like his directorial style then it it's good. We BOTH thought that Daisy Ridley was a mirror image of Kiera Knightly from 2004, which is interesting. I suppose that I'm glad I didn't spend the $34 to see it in the theaters, though.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #209 on: July 17, 2018, 07:33:06 AM »

1. Darkest Hour - 8
2. Downsizing - 5
3. I Called Him Morgan - 8
4. The Big Sick - 8
5. Icarus - 8
6. It Comes at Night - 7
7. The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) - 8
8. Creep 2 - 7
9. 1922 - 8
10. The Post - 9
11. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 8
12. Call Me By Your Name - 7
13. I, Tonya - 7
14. The Shape of Water - 8
15. Phantom Thread - 9
16. Last Men in Aleppo - 7
17. Mudbound - 8
18. The Seventh Fire - 6
19. The Cloverfield Paradox - 6
20. Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story - 6
21. Paddington 2 - 8
22. A Futile and Stupid Gesture - 7
23. Game Night - 7
24. Black Panther - 9
25. Radius - 7
26. The Stanford Prison Experiment - 6
27. The Lost City of Z - 8
28. Abacus: Small Enough to Jail - 7
29. Escape Fire: The Fight to Rescue American Healthcare - 7
30. Annihilation - 8
31. Love, Simon - 7
32. The Ritual - 7
33. Ready Player One - 5
34. The Florida Project - 5
35. The Killing of a Sacred Deer - 3
36. The Little Hours - 6
37. The Barkley Marathons - 9
38. Mister Rogers and Me - 6
39. I Feel Pretty - 6
40. Isle of Dogs - 7
41. Avengers: Infinity War - 5
42. Tully - 8
43. War for the Planet of the Apes - 6
44. Lady Macbeth (2016) - 8
45. Train to Busan - 7
46. The Polka King - 6
47. Life of the Party - 5
48. A Quiet Place - 8
49. Absolutely Anything - 4
50. Deadpool 2 - 7
51. Solo - 6
52. Hereditary - 9
53. Incredibles 2 - 7
54. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - 3
55. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
56. Incredibles 2, again
57. I Love You, Man
58. Won't You Be My Neighbor? - 8

59. Wilson - 6

Movie plays like a series of 45-60 short films centered on the same guy.  Yeah, there's a plot, but you are here to watch Woody Harrelson be a dick to people and then try to find himself through his newly discovered daughter.  And it mostly delivers.  But it is real disjointed and possibly too short?

60. Ant Man and the Wasp - 7

Paul Rudd helped elevate this one.  How could you not like Paul Rudd?  Answer: you can't. 
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20   Go Up