Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Book Musings  (Read 32082 times)

daytime drinking

• City Elder
Re: Random Book Musings
« Reply #345 on: August 03, 2018, 01:53:54 PM »

name for me, your favorite latin american authors.  thank you
poach eggs, not elephants

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #346 on: August 03, 2018, 04:38:49 PM »

Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #347 on: August 04, 2018, 10:07:53 AM »

Borges, I guess. 

I dunno, Iím not that well read when it comes to Latin American writers and I donít really dig magical realism.  Those two things are probably related.

I donít hate GGM or Isabel Allende or anything.  Just not really for me.  I read some of their stuff, I enjoyed it okay, I forgot about it pretty quickly, and then after a couple books I didnít feel the need to read them anymore.

Like Water for Chocolate is the only Latin American authored book that bugged me enough That I struggled a bit to finish.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #348 on: August 04, 2018, 02:26:46 PM »

would paulo coelho be considered a magical realist?  i've only read the alchemist, which i say of is the book you pick up at some youth hostel abroad.  one hundred years of solitude is too beautiful to not be my favorite book ever.  that ending was fucking bad ass.  and my favorite part of that book is that general never won a battle in fifty years or something but was still heroic.  i've only read other by him in the fashion of short stories.  the magic is more believable and matter of factly in fact.  i could see how an entire culture centering around one niche genre would be tiresome

did simon bolivar write? 
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #349 on: August 04, 2018, 08:18:50 PM »

would paulo coelho be considered a magical realist?  i've only read the alchemist, which i say of is the book you pick up at some youth hostel abroad.

Not an expert, but in my opinion The Alchemist is definitely magical realism.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #350 on: August 06, 2018, 11:24:21 AM »

would paulo coelho be considered a magical realist?  i've only read the alchemist, which i say of is the book you pick up at some youth hostel abroad.

Not an expert, but in my opinion The Alchemist is definitely magical realism.

Seconded.
Loved One Hundred Years of Solitude tons when I was in college. Enjoyed the The Alchemist plenty, too, so yes, I think it's magical realism. There's not a ton of that genre out there, so I think you need to grab it when you can.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 05:04:53 PM by Dan »

Paco

• Tourist
« Reply #351 on: August 27, 2018, 04:59:42 PM »

Screw people who dog-ear library books. Fucking animals.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #352 on: August 28, 2018, 09:31:55 PM »

I listened to my first audio book in decades earlier this month: Ready Player One (unabridged) read by Wil Wheaton. I was not disappointed when there was a reference to him in the book. It is definitely the way to go for long, solo road trips.

I hadn't seen the movie, so it was all new to me. Except, of course, that game designer is a month older than me, so we had very similar experiences during the 80s and 90s (although I never did get to play D&D).
also known as rcc94

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #353 on: November 26, 2018, 04:40:59 PM »

Do you guys consider listening to an audiobook as "reading?" Or having "read a book?" Do you list audiobooks in your list of books you've read?

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #354 on: November 26, 2018, 05:45:43 PM »

Do you guys consider listening to an audiobook as "reading?" Or having "read a book?" Do you list audiobooks in your list of books you've read?
Yes. It's reading with your ears.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #355 on: November 27, 2018, 11:04:21 AM »

I consider it "reading," and I would consider having finished listening to an audio book as having "read" it.  Having said that, I have never "read" an audiobook.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #356 on: November 27, 2018, 12:50:20 PM »

I kinda do, but I kinda don't. I add them to my list of books, but I try to denote "audiobook" so that I remember the format in which I "read" the book.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #357 on: November 27, 2018, 02:42:18 PM »

I'm listening to my first audiobook right now and while I'm enjoying the format I feel like it isn't reading. To me reading is visualizing words and understanding the blocks of paragraphs or the chapter breaks or knowing that a chapter is ending because you can see the blank page to the right or things like that. It's understanding the grouping of ideas that are bulleted because there are bullets, rather than just someone saying a bunch of quick sentences. There's an understanding anyway.

These are my ideas about it right now, though. I'm sure they'll evolve over time if I dive into the format more. However, I'm not really planning to.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]   Go Up